Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M10, 240 family, M-P, M60

"Mass Production" M60 style M coming on March 10th?
Old 03-04-2016   #1
jsrockit

"Mass Production" M60 style M coming on March 10th?

Here:

http://leicarumors.com/2016/03/03/th...l-lenses.aspx/

Old 03-04-2016   #2
michaelwj
----------------

I wonder where they will price it? Above the M240 seems a stretch as they took things away to make the M262 which is cheaper. It should then be cheaper than the 262, but I can't see that happening. More than the 240 along the lines of the monochrom is also possible.
If it were a 262 without the screen at a similar or lower price point...

Old 03-04-2016   #3
axiom
Non-Registered User

may it be thinner please

Old 03-04-2016   #4
DominikDUK

Finally I love you Leica ok love is a bit much but this what I have been waiting for for quiet some time only yesterday after checking out the Pen F I thought to myself the rear screen is the one thing that really bothers me it makes the camera bulkier and requires too much space. Also shooting with a screen is a different kind of shooting even when turning off the lcd screens it is still in ones mind. Great news I hope Leica sells tons of them.

Old 03-04-2016   #5
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomoof View Post
Well why not, but sadly I doubt it will have a bluetooth interface with a computer or phone to make setting it up really easy, and image review possible. But one could hope.

Otherwise nice, you just use it to take images, as though it's a film camera.

Actually bluetooth would make a lot of sense for camera set up etc ... lets face it everyone has a smartphone these days. They'd be mad not to do that IMO.

Old 03-04-2016   #6
olakiril

A thinner 262 ...

After spending some time with my converted xpro1, a camera without lcd is a joy to use.

Old 03-04-2016   #7
squirrel$$$bandit

I've never minded having a screen, but I sure would like to have a hardware ISO dial.

Old 03-04-2016   #8
jsrockit

I've come to realize I like having an LCD as well... but this could still be cool to see.

Old 03-04-2016   #9
B-9
Devin Bro

I'm glad Leica is actually taking some of the pennies we've been throwing at them.

I love the idea of a hard ISO control, and no LCD, just my 2 cents

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 03-04-2016   #10
ferider

Strap lugs would be nice.

Old 03-04-2016   #11
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

What Roland said. Strap lugs.

IMHO, don't let car designers design a camera unless it is intended to be a collectors shelf piece (M60 was).

I highly doubt it's gonna happen, but would be really nice to see if they ever manage to make the body size decisively closer to the film M.

b/w guy.

flickr | Instagram

Old 03-04-2016   #12
Leica All Day

Wow, I really hope this is true and that the camera has strap lugs. 3 of my friends out here in Bangkok have M60's and I love using theirs. I hope this one is a little more affordable for someone like myself.

Cheers, michael

Old 03-04-2016   #13
f16sunshine

Removing the red dot from the front has added around $2K on past models.
I supposethis won't be any different. Looks cool. Very clean back plate. Like.

Old 03-04-2016   #14
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
I wonder where they will price it? Above the M240 seems a stretch as they took things away to make the M262 which is cheaper. It should then be cheaper than the 262, but I can't see that happening. More than the 240 along the lines of the monochrom is also possible.
If it were a 262 without the screen at a similar or lower price point...
More is less, and unfortunately in Leica land less is more... Looking at the finish of the alleged camera I would guess about 2000$ more than the M240 (successor). But let's hope for a happy surprise.
Not that I would ever buy it, if I want a LCD-less camera I have plenty of film Ms. On a digital camera I fail to see the merit of taking away one of its major features.

jaapvphotography

Old 03-04-2016   #15
rscheffler

Maybe this is a good sign that the M240 replacement is near? This will be the fourth color variant of the 240 (240, M-P, 262 and this), not including special editions like the M60, Lenny Kravitz 'Correspondent' or the M240 Safari.... IMO, so many variations implies to me that Leica is to the point of trying to get as much out of the M240 platform as possible, while they still can.

It will be great if this design does materialize because it means some will get the digital camera they really want. I'll stick with the LCD. Too useful and reassuring, such as when on client shoots, to know there are at least images on the card. Not necessarily a small concern with some of my past M240 and M9 experiences with lock ups and images that were subsequently lost while queued in the buffer...

Old 03-04-2016   #16
jschrader

1) remove the bayer array
2) reduce the price for missing features instead of increasing it

I would order one next day - don't wake me up the dream is too nice

Old 03-04-2016   #17
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

So, it is shown without screen, without lugs. And somehow it is claimed to be mass production. I think, to meet this criteria it should also miss third element.
RF.

Old 03-04-2016   #18
Samouraļ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschrader View Post
1) remove the bayer array
2) reduce the price for missing features instead of increasing it

I would order one next day - don't wake me up the dream is too nice
Yeah, I'd love to see Leica release this M without the lcd (and without the bayer). It should be thinner and cheaper to produce, but it'll probably be as expensive as a Monochrom.

Old 03-04-2016   #19
olakiril

So latest rumors gave it a name: Leica M-D. Will that mean no finder?

Old 03-04-2016   #20
FrozenInTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by olakiril View Post
So latest rumors gave it a name: Leica M-D. Will that mean no finder?
Or optical RF omitted - instead an integrated EVF ?
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 03-04-2016   #21
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenInTime View Post
Or optical RF omitted - instead an integrated EVF ?
That could be interesting based on the rumored name. Menus can be accessed via EVF.

Old 03-04-2016   #22
vagab0nd

I've wanted a digital cam w/o a screen for awhile. If this has an actual RF and is reasonably priced (for Leica) I'll start saving and selling.

If it has an EVF, then I'd need some hands on time before deciding.

Old 03-04-2016   #23
jsrockit

http://leicarumors.com/2016/03/04/th...gefinder.aspx/

Old 03-04-2016   #24
user237428934
User deletion pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Menus can be accessed via EVF.
For me this is the worst regarding usability.

Old 03-04-2016   #25
semi-ambivalent
Little to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomoof View Post
...as though it's a film camera.
Oh, slumming huh?

s-a

Old 03-04-2016   #26
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.w.bn View Post
For me this is the worst regarding usability.
Well, on a camera without an LCD it won't need to be used, but it's there if you need it.

Old 03-04-2016   #27
user237428934
User deletion pending

Quote:
Well, on a camera without an LCD it won't need to be used, but it's there if you need it.
A digital camera without screen is somewhat radical (for me it does not make sense at all but that's a different story). So why not taking the radical approach to the max and have a digital camera without any menu setting? You can set aperture, time and iso. What else does a purist need?
Auto-ISO, JPG Settings, Date/Time, Folder Settings....? If you get rid of this, you don't even need a menu button. It seems most people here are not really purists.

Old 03-04-2016   #28
Archlich

The next gen M will likely show up in Photokina this September, so pretty smart for Leica as the M240 platform is reaching the end of its lifespan. Much more attractive than simply relabeling the old one with a "-E"...

Old 03-04-2016   #29
DominikDUK

Tom I actually like your idea a digicam sans LCD, sans menue buttons just an ISO Dial, Shutter Speed dial and in case of Leica DNG (RAW) format shooting. I am drooling just at the thought of it

Old 03-04-2016   #30
x-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
More is less, and unfortunately in Leica land less is more... Looking at the finish of the alleged camera I would guess about 2000$ more than the M240 (successor). But let's hope for a happy surprise.
Not that I would ever buy it, if I want a LCD-less camera I have plenty of film Ms. On a digital camera I fail to see the merit of taking away one of its major features.
If leica is smart they'll create an app for smartphones that will interface via bluetooth that will allow setting preferences and reviewing images both live and browsing the memory card. This is something I suggested several years ago.

As to the LCD, we didn't have one with film and if you have a vague clue as to what you're doing photographically you don't need one now. It's like a polaroid proof for every shot. The master photographer I apprenticed under in the early 70's said polaroid is a crutch for a weak photographer. Same goes for the LCD. Everyone had become reliant on it rather than using their brain and eye.

Old 03-04-2016   #31
FrozenInTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
The next gen M will likely show up in Photokina this September, so pretty smart for Leica as the M240 platform is reaching the end of its lifespan. Much more attractive than simply relabeling the old one with a "-E"...
I guess there is an outside chance the Q electronics could be mated with a M shutter
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 03-04-2016   #32
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.w.bn View Post
A digital camera without screen is somewhat radical (for me it does not make sense at all but that's a different story). So why not taking the radical approach to the max and have a digital camera without any menu setting? You can set aperture, time and iso. What else does a purist need?
I'm on your side... my comment was only if it is a EVF. It's most likely a RF. The supposed rumored name bring to mind the Leicas without VFs and RFs. It was said to be a M60 like camera though...

Old 03-04-2016   #33
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray View Post
If leica is smart they'll create an app for smartphones that will interface via bluetooth that will allow setting preferences and reviewing images both live and browsing the memory card. This is something I suggested several years ago.

As to the LCD, we didn't have one with film and if you have a vague clue as to what you're doing photographically you don't need one now. It's like a polaroid proof for every shot. The master photographer I apprenticed under in the early 70's said polaroid is a crutch for a weak photographer. Same goes for the LCD. Everyone had become reliant on it rather than using their brain and eye.
I’ll happily admit to being a clueless photographer, but I find the LCD an advance of digital photography which expands our creative options.
Chimping which you refer to is the least important part.

As i said, whenever I find nostalgia creeping up to the extent of rejecting all advances of the last decade and a half, I will leave my digital gear at home and take my M6, M3 or iiif, depending on the level of Luddism I feel at the time. No need to castrate a modern camera.

jaapvphotography

Old 03-04-2016   #34
benlees

I actually tried chimping with my Ricoh GR10 the other day. Sadly, it doesn't have a screen. Oops.

Not having a screen actually seems a bit overwrought. I find them quite useful.

What would be way cool
Old 03-04-2016   #35
BillBingham2

What would be way cool

Quote:
What about is they built an App (iPhone and Android) that would allow you to make changes to the camera rather than trying to create a UI that is new/different from things people already know and use every day?

Imagine how many they could sell if they had a street price of about $3,500?

With Wifi/Bluetooth it wouldn't be that hard......

B2 (;->

Old 03-04-2016   #36
maralatho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Actually bluetooth would make a lot of sense for camera set up etc ... lets face it everyone has a smartphone these days. They'd be mad not to do that IMO.
I don't have a smartphone.

Old 03-04-2016   #37
x-ray

Hasselblad has an app called Phocus that allows in real time viewing what you're shooting and even browsing the card in the camera. It allows ranking the images also. I sold my Hasselblad digital equipment a couple of years ago but it was a tremendous app. It could connect through the wifi as well and clients could view in real time what's being and has been shot from a remote location. My clients could see what I'm shooting while relaxing in the cocktail lounge or their office. To add functions like setting preferences on the camera is not a big deal. Phocus was available for smartphones and iPads free.

Decluttering any digital camera seems like a great idea. On my Nikons I turn the LCD off and only use it rarely. For one thing I hate that thing flashing an image up in my face everything I fire a shot. I think it's a great idea and if you want a full feature camera they're also available. I wouldnt even care if it only shot raw files.

Old 03-04-2016   #38
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Yes. It is quite possible that Leica will build such a camera parallel to the 240 (or successor).

Whatever else, the rumored camera is beautiful, but thinking it will cost 3500$? The Germans have a word for it:
Wolkenkuckucksland.

jaapvphotography

Old 03-05-2016   #39
Tijmendal
Young photog

Really curious what this is going to be like. Time (a few days, really) will tell. Hopefully it will be a little thinner (film-M size). I think the bluetooth idea is ridiculous: that would defeat the whole purpose.

Old 03-05-2016   #40
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
Yes. It is quite possible that Leica will build such a camera parallel to the 240 (or successor).

Whatever else, the rumored camera is beautiful, but thinking it will cost 3500$? The Germans have a word for it:
Wolkenkuckucksland.
Waanwolkenland my foot, this would be a volume, volume, volume play! Make your margins at the high end, get people hooked with an affordable entry level offering.

B2 (;->