Unsuccessful Stand development of Foma 400
Old 02-03-2016   #1
LeicaFoReVer
Addicted to Rangefinders

Unsuccessful Stand development of Foma 400

I made some mistakes. I ended up very low contrast grainy and foggy negatives. Where did I make mistake or mistakes? The film also sat in the camera for 6 months. Rodinal has been out in my balcony where 40c degrees was the temperature in the summer. And I used 1 hour development at 1:100. I think everything I did was with a mistake...gosh...

Can rodinal (R09) go bad?
Canon 50mm f/1.2 LTM
Voightlander Color Skopar PII 35mm f2.5
Contax G2 + 45mm & 28mm
Contax RX + Zeiss 50mm f1.4
Olympus OM-4 + 24mm f2.8 + 35mm f2
Fed 3 + jupiter-12
Sony NEX 7

websites:
http://www.blurb.com/user/store/aykutkaraca
http://flickriver.com/photos/2851236...r-interesting/
http://sites.google.com/site/aykutphoto/Home
http://aykutkaraca.webs.com

Old 02-03-2016   #2
Mr_Flibble

Stand development in Rodinal of fast films isn't the greatest idea, I'm told.

Old 02-03-2016   #3
charjohncarter

Grainy and fogged come to mind with Rodinal stand; luckily you didn't have streaking. Thin negatives could be many thing though.

I'm sure many members have real times for Rodinal and Foma 400. I think even I do:

AristaEDU Ultra 400 (250) Rodinal 1+50, 11 minutes, 30 sec, 3 inversions per 3 minutes, 68 degrees

Old 02-03-2016   #4
LeicaFoReVer
Addicted to Rangefinders

Foma indicates 1+200 with 60 min on their site so there is one of the mistakes I made. I saw under another topic on rff site that 1+50 gives good results with Foma 400.
Canon 50mm f/1.2 LTM
Contax G2 + 45mm & 28mm
Fed 3 + jupiter-12
Sony NEX 7

websites:

Old 02-04-2016   #5
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
Grainy and fogged come to mind with Rodinal stand; luckily you didn't have streaking. Thin negatives could be many thing though. I'm sure many members have real times for Rodinal and Foma 400. I think even I do: AristaEDU Ultra 400 (250) Rodinal 1+50, 11 minutes, 30 sec, 3 inversions per 3 minutes, 68 degrees
Bang on - but we both knew that right?

I have found that 11 minutes with ANY b&w film is good. It may not be perfect, as I haven't done controlled tests for every film I've used.

My take is that at high dilutions such as 1:50 Rodinal is developing to exhaustion, so extended times at higher dilutions doesn't gain anything. And agitation affects grain structure more than anything else. Again, these are unscientific observations.

For 1:25 use 6 minutes, 1:100 is 19 minutes. The fact that you can get very good to excellent results with these starting points for nearly all films is wonderful.

I loved how CHS 100 looked in Rodinal; haven't tried CHS II yet. And Pan F+ is superb.

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
And NOW ... Fuji X-Pro1 w/ 18-55, 18/2 & adapted Zuikos and Hexanons
http://zuikoholic.tumblr.com
https://www.instagram.com/e.r.dunbar/
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 02-04-2016   #6
presspass
filmshooter

Foma 400 is touchy, as you've discovered. It's grainy by nature, and can fog easily. It's also very soft and prone to scratching. I've had decent luck with a compensating developer - D-23 - either diluted 1:3 for 20 minutes at 68 degrees F or with D-23 straight replenished at 8 minutes. It's far from my favorite film, although I do like the Creative 200, also developed with a compensating developer. Stand developing has its fans, but it is condemned almost as often as it's praised.

Old 02-07-2016   #7
Fotohuis

Quote:
I've had decent luck with a compensating developer
Indeed, a compensating type developer but not R09/Rodinal for this iso 400 film (in fact iso 200/250) which is a pretty grainy type.

Here an example of FP400 E.I. 250 in Rollei Supergrain, in fact an Amaloco AM74 copy, a semi-compensating type developer, 1+9 6:00 minutes at 20C.

Old 02-08-2016   #8
ravilamir

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeicaFoReVer View Post
I made some mistakes. I ended up very low contrast grainy and foggy negatives. Where did I make mistake or mistakes? The film also sat in the camera for 6 months. Rodinal has been out in my balcony where 40c degrees was the temperature in the summer. And I used 1 hour development at 1:100. I think everything I did was with a mistake...gosh...

Hi!
I only use Fomadon R09 (rodinal clone) and stand development 1+100 for 1 hour. I do 4 inversions at the start.
I have never seen a problem or "foggy" negatives with Fomapan 400, one of my main films.

See if this is what you thing is thin and foggy. Remember you are seeing here are "scans" done by a very cheap "scanner" and no corrections of whatsoever were done. All shot at ISO 400:

1-28-2016_026 by Ricardo Miranda, on Flickr

1-28-2016_023 by Ricardo Miranda, on Flickr

1-20-2016_020 by Ricardo Miranda, on Flickr

1-28-2016_021 by Ricardo Miranda, on Flickr

Olympus M-1, OM-1/N, OM-2/N, OM-4, OM-4Ti
A bunch of Nikons

Old 02-08-2016   #9
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

I have had good negatives with D76 1:1 for 10 min at 20 deg. C with that film.

It is one of my favourite films.

Old 02-08-2016   #10
Rayt

Finally I am getting good negatives @250 souped in HC-110 (B) 6 minutes 20C. Before I souped it for 6.5 minutes and was getting really dense negs. Overall I won't shoot this film again especially since HP5+ is only about 60 cents a roll more. Also I can't seem to avoid light leaking into the last two frames when I open the back to change films.

Old 02-08-2016   #11
teddy
Jose Morales

You probably did everything right. This looks to me a manufacturing fault because the SAME THING happened to me, and I didn't stand develop. I use D-76 and the results were horrible. I didn't make a mistake, the temperature was at a constant 20 Celcius.

I'm not buying FOMA 200 or 400 - too unreliable.

Why bother with it when if I'm unsure wither the film was fogged or not coated properly? Any shot I may get could be ruined, every shot is precious.

Old 02-08-2016   #12
teddy
Jose Morales

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeicaFoReVer View Post

1:100 with Rodinal is fine. I do 1:100 @ 60 mins, 20 inversions first minute - then 5 inversions every 15 mins (to get consistency).

FOMA films too often for me appear with manufacturing faults. I'm sick of it.

The most reliable film was FOMA 100 - but not 400 or worst 200.

Old 02-08-2016   #13
ravilamir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayt View Post
Finally I am getting good negatives @250 souped in HC-110 (B) 6 minutes 20C. Before I souped it for 6.5 minutes and was getting really dense negs. Overall I won't shoot this film again especially since HP5+ is only about 60 cents a roll more. Also I can't seem to avoid light leaking into the last two frames when I open the back to change films.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy View Post
You probably did everything right. This looks to me a manufacturing fault because the SAME THING happened to me, and I didn't stand develop. I use D-76 and the results were horrible. I didn't make a mistake, the temperature was at a constant 20 Celcius.

I'm not buying FOMA 200 or 400 - too unreliable.

Why bother with it when if I'm unsure wither the film was fogged or not coated properly? Any shot I may get could be ruined, every shot is precious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy View Post
1:100 with Rodinal is fine. I do 1:100 @ 60 mins, 20 inversions first minute - then 5 inversions every 15 mins (to get consistency).

FOMA films too often for me appear with manufacturing faults. I'm sick of it.

The most reliable film was FOMA 100 - but not 400 or worst 200.

Would the gents above post images or even better shots of the negative as they are against a backlighted window, please?

I've been using Fomapan 100 and 400 for some years now and never had a single problem.
To badmouth one of the few manufactures that still do R&D and have introduced a brand new emulsion in the last year is really poor.
To me it seems the above gents are Digitographers that are not used to old style films.
Foma films are unique as they are the last emulsions that are very soft and delicate when wet. They damage easily when not properly handled.

So, please, provide proof of what you are saying.
Thanks.

A bunch of Nikons

Old 02-08-2016   #14
zauhar

There is a 'stochiometric' approach to stand development, I think 3.5 ml of rodinal concentrate for each roll of 135 film. Thus, the dilution depends on number of rolls (essentially you let all the developer react with the available film surface). I got good results (to my eyes) using that protocol in the past.

Randy
Canon 7/50mm f1.4
Leica IIIf/Summitar/Collapsible Summicron
Yashica Electro 35

Old 02-08-2016   #15
charjohncarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravilamir View Post
Would the gents above post images or even better shots of the negative as they are against a backlighted window, please?

I've been using Fomapan 100 and 400 for some years now and never had a single problem.
To badmouth one of the few manufactures that still do R&D and have introduced a brand new emulsion in the last year is really poor.
To me it seems the above gents are Digitographers that are not used to old style films.
Foma films are unique as they are the last emulsions that are very soft and delicate when wet. They damage easily when not properly handled.

Thanks.
Ricardo, I feel the same way, I still use Kodak but I also use these film. And I will go to Ilford if Kodak doesn't feel it is necessary to make film. Foma films are different, but I like them especially when you get used to know them. You can use them in the situations where they shine, when you get EI, metering, and development right (just like any film) you will have success.

I did not like these film at first but that was ignorance.

AND I don't use stand with Foma films (or any others).

Old 02-08-2016   #16
Rayt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravilamir View Post

Thanks.
Sir are you accusing me of being a "Digitographer"? I do not digitograph and do not even own a scanner. As I stated in my post I am getting good results with Fomapan 400 @250 in HC110(B) 20c 6 minutes. I also shoot Foma 100 in 4x5 and Foma 200 in 135 and like them but for 120 I don't know if I'd want to shoot Foma 400 again. First is the backing paper. I am getting light leaking into the last two frames post exposure when I open the camera back. Sure I can find a dark spot while street shooting with my Rollei but it is not convenient. Also I need the speed and I can get box speed and higher with HP5. Nothing again against Foma and I use their other emulsions.

Old 02-08-2016   #17
charjohncarter

Quote:
Sir are you accusing me of being a "Digitographer"? I do not digitograph and do not even own a scanner. As I stated in my post I am getting good results with Fomapan 400 @250 in HC110(B) 20c 6 minutes. I also shoot Foma 100 in 4x5 and Foma 200 in 135 and like them but for 120 I don't know if I'd want to shoot Foma 400 again. First is the backing paper. I am getting light leaking into the last two frames post exposure when I open the camera back. Sure I can find a dark spot while street shooting with my Rollei but it is not convenient. Also I need the speed and I can get box speed and higher with HP5. Nothing again against Foma and I use their other emulsions.
I don't know what dark spot is, but I do agree about the paper backing.

Old 02-08-2016   #18
ravilamir

Quote:
Sorry and thanks for clarifying what you meant for light leaking.
About backing paper for 120, there has been a series of reports about problems with backing paper for some Kodak and Ilford emulsions.
Now, I don't know how many manufacturers are there for backing paper and how coincident would be that Kodak and Foma would have the same backing paper.
But, it is the first time I've seen mentioning the backing paper on Fomapan 400.
Years ago there were some problems with Fomapan 200 in 120.
They were sorted with a new base film.
I hope if there is any problem with the backing paper that will do as well.
I'll suggest you send to Foma what you think is a defective backing paper together with the negative so they can examine it and find a solution.

A bunch of Nikons

Old 02-08-2016   #19
Rayt

The backing paper is OK. I have recently shot Fomapan 200 and 400 in 120 without the backing paper problem of the past. But the paper tends to unroll itself at the end of the rolls letting light in. In certain backs such as newer Hasselblad back where there is a "stopper" to keep the spool tight this is not an issue but for more primitive cameras like the Rolleiflex where there is nothing to keep exposed rolls to spring open when I open the back this is a problem.

Old 02-08-2016   #20
charjohncarter

Quote:
The backing paper is OK. I have recently shot Fomapan 200 and 400 in 120 without the backing paper problem of the past. But the paper tends to unroll itself at the end of the rolls letting light in. In certain backs such as newer Hasselblad back where there is a "stopper" to keep the spool tight this is not an issue but for more primitive cameras like the Rolleiflex where there is nothing to keep exposed rolls to spring open when I open the back this is a problem.
Right!! Even my 60 year old Kodak Duaflex IV and my Agfa Isolette II have these 'tightening' features. But with some of my other cameras that are newer I've had problems; I'll have to check them for a the 'tightener.'

Old 02-08-2016   #21
Fotohuis

Quote:
The backing paper is OK. I have recently shot Fomapan 200 and 400 in 120 without the backing paper problem of the past. But the paper tends to unroll itself at the end of the rolls letting light in.
The base material of Foma (and also some other brands) is Polyester which curls more so you have to keep the spool tight when loading and unloading the roll film.

Rollei Retro 80(S), 400(S), IR-400 are using the same Agfa Gevaert Clear Polyester layer for it.

Some manufactureres are using tri-Acetate for it e.g. on Fuji Acros 100 but this has the disadvantage that the base material is softer and can damage easier especially because it is 100um in thickness only. 35mm Acetate is 125um-135um.

Old 02-09-2016   #22
znapper

Sounds to me that the OP did just about everything to get faulty negs

- Foma 400 isn't especially grain-less to begin with, why are you developing it in Rodinal and complain about grain?
- Stand-dev is a crap-shoot, normally used when you have some unknown film and no way to know how to develop it. Notorious for uneven developed negatives, bromide streaks etc.
- Foma 400 isn't actually 400, more like 250 (In Rodinal that is probably even more true, since true-speed for most films are lower in that developer). This can contribute to thinner negatives. "Bending" the scans to get normal looking pictures, will enhance the grain even more.
- Rodinal isn't cryptonite, it can die, go bad, crystallize and loose strength, it should be stored, at least, in stable conditions.
- Foma, in it's various flavors is a cool film and often very nice looking, certainly old-school looking.
- Foma isn't the most high-resolving film, in-fact; The higher the ISO, the lower the resolution.

I Haven't experienced too many issues at all with the 200 and 400, there were issues with the 100 (blue base) in 120 in the past, but from what I've read, it has been resolved a few years back. (pinholes, streaks etc).

I often use Rodinal or HC-110 for the 100, shot at 80 (which looks superb) and HC-110 for the 200 and 400 (shot at 100 and 250 respectively) and develop normally, no issues.

Foma 100 in HC-110, B (120 format)

Fountain in the Queen’s Park, Oslo royal castle by Ole-Henrik Helin, on Flickr

Fomapan 100 in Rodinal 1:50 (120 format)

Fomapan 100 in Rodinal 1:50 (120 format)

Foma 200 creative @ 200 in HC-110 B (35mm)
(From a zombie-walk in 2012)

Fomapan 400 @ 400 (underexposed) in HC-110 B, double exposure (120-format)

Duality by Ole-Henrik Helin, on Flickr

Old 02-09-2016   #23
Cocal

2014♣193 by ruggero ranzani, su Flickr
Voigtlander bessa R3M, Voigtlander Color Skopar 35 f/2,5 MC; Fomapan [email protected], Adox Adonal (1:100) 120', 20C. Scan from negative film.

Old 02-09-2016   #24
Cocal

2014♣195 by ruggero ranzani, su Flickr
Voigtlander bessa R3M, Voigtlander Color Skopar 35 f/2,5 MC; Fomapan [email protected], Adox Adonal (1:100) 120', 20C. Scan from negative film.

Old 02-11-2016   #25
LeicaFoReVer
Addicted to Rangefinders

Thank you everyone...Yes I made several mistakes. Grain wasnt the biggest problem. I would expect grain due to the fast film I used but lack of contrast and fog with thin result were the biggest issues. I will post some examples. Scanned images are not that bad as it can becompensated by post processing.

I dont like fast films either so I will probably stick with FP4+ which gave incredible results with Rodinal and stand development.
Canon 50mm f/1.2 LTM
Contax G2 + 45mm & 28mm
Fed 3 + jupiter-12
Sony NEX 7

websites:

Old 04-11-2017   #26
edwliang

i always get sproket hole streaks and uneven development with fp400 in rodinal 1:100 stand development.

Old 04-13-2017   #27
J enea

I stopped stand development after 4 rolls because of streaking and or air bubbles even with a few good bangs after initial agitation.

Old 04-13-2017   #28
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Wring down before I forget: "FP4+, keep in camera for six mounts, 1 hour in Rodinal which was kept on sun all summer... Great results!"

But I'm also the giver.
On previous week I dumped Kentmere 400 in used Arista Lith Developer for 20 minutes and then to Rodinal 1:40 for fifteen minutes. It took 2-3 minutes for exposure by wide open enlarger lens to get image visible on the 8x10 print. Results were great!

Old 04-13-2017   #29
Nowhereman
-

The thin negatives the OP spoke about are most likely the result severe underdevelopment caused by insufficient developer.

For 35mm film you need at least 3.5ml of Rodinal per roll, and some people recommend 5.0ml, which is probably a better idea. Sticking with 3.5ml, for a 1:100 dilution you need 350ml of dilute developer per roll. Last year, a lab used a two-reel tank with a capacity of 600ml, which is less than the minimum 700ml needed for two rolls. The negatives were so thin that you couldn't have printed them with an enlarger you could also see that underdevelopment was the problem because the TRI-X logo printed at the edge of the film was so light it was barely visible. So, you need to make sure that you have a large enough tank, and I think it's a good to use 5ml per roll, which requires a 1 liter tank for two 35mm rolls.

The digitalized film was so thin that the Lightroom histogram was just a thin sliver, and even a 1 point movement of the various LR sliders made huge changes in contrast and brightness. But, very carefully, carefully I could get the results I wanted. Here are a few of the pictures no reason not to use stand development.

Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai

Wiang Pa Pao