Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Nikon F100 at the right time
Old 11-06-2015   #1
farlymac
PF McFarland

Nikon F100 at the right time

I finally got an F100 (purchased from a member here) a few months ago. It needed the ArmorAll treatment, so the excitement of using it wore off kind of quick waiting for it to cure. But that is good, because it gave me time to study the camera further so I wouldn't mess up using it the first time.

Eventually, it came to me the best time to try it out would be in Autumn. Good idea, but the colors this year have been kind of sparse, as we had a mini drought in August which never bodes well for the leaf change.

Then I got the idea that the biggest concentration of ornamental trees (and thus the best likelihood for good color) would be in a park. So I loaded up some Kodak Ektar 100, and mounted a Tamron AF28-200 1:3.8-5.6 (IF) LD Asph zoom, and headed out.

A few samples below;

Autumn 2015 LongwoodPark in Salem, VA by P F McFarland, on Flickr

See more at https://flic.kr/s/aHskohs9EM
There are some other photos made with different cameras in the album, but the F100 shots are the latest 20. Check the tags to make sure.

PF

Old 11-06-2015   #2
Lauffray
Invisible Cities

The F100 is a great camera, sturdy but not too heavy and the meter is nearly infallible. Mine met its demise in a river so the love affair was short-lived, alas

Website Flickr Insta

Old 11-06-2015   #3
x-ray

I had one back when they were made along with an F5. The F100 became my favorite for both work and personal projects. Unfortunately as digital came into my business I sold both cameras but earlier this year I purchase an almost new F100. I got it with the idea of being able to used my G series lenses on it. I don't use it as often as I should but it works great with my AIs and G series lenses. Great cameras and they're a real bargain now. I think my first one was used around $700 and bought this one for $125.

Old 11-06-2015   #4
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

The F100 makes me a little nervous because I worry that the custom settings might accidentally change without my knowing it, and I might discover it after it's too late. Has this actually happened to anyone? I am thinking that something like an N90 might be safer, and they are also a bargain.

Old 11-06-2015   #5
x-ray

Never had any settings change on any of my Nikon film or digital cameras. You really have to want to change them.

Old 11-06-2015   #6
FrankS

For me, the F100 was too much like a dslr. I prefer a more traditional interface and don't need so many features. That's just me.

photography makes me happy

Old 11-06-2015   #7
crsantin

Still use mine regularly. Wonderful camera, even with Nikon's older MF lenses.

Old 11-06-2015   #8
mfogiel

F100 is great, but for the kind of phosos as shown above it is not the right tool. You'd be much better off with a TLR or Pentax 67. F100 is good for stuff you need to nail fast:

201213830 by marek fogiel, on Flickr

201212005 by marek fogiel, on Flickr

201212211 by marek fogiel, on Flickr

Old 11-06-2015   #9
Cameron
seasick, yet still docked

I got an F100 a couple months ago. Absolutely love it. The only thing I dislike is how similar to a DSLR it is, but that's what you bargain for with these types of cameras. I love an all mechanical SLR, and miss them now that I don't own one. But the F100 has still amazed me and it'll be around for awhile.

Old 11-06-2015   #10
FrankS

I'm happy enough with my F, F2,s, F3's, F4, Nikkormats Ftn/2/3, FM, 801S's, and FG's.

Old 11-06-2015   #11
Cameron

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
I'm happy enough with my F, F2,s, F3's, F4, Nikkormats Ftn/2/3, FM, 801S's, and FG's.
Well when ya got all those F's, what's the point?

Old 11-06-2015   #12
Paulbe

FrankS--you're missing the F5 and 6, Nikkormat FTs and a few others. Still some room to grow!
Paul

Old 11-06-2015   #13
FrankS

Still room, but I'm pretty much done.
The F5/6 only improves on the F4 on features I don't need/use, like AF speed.

Old 11-06-2015   #14
GarageBoy

Im in love with my F100 - when I want to just get shots and not just shoot for the sake of using equipment, that's what I grab with a 35 1.8 that has been living on it. Hoping to get a 85 1.4 to go along with it. The back on mine is all melted, though

Old 11-06-2015   #15
FrankS

But it's okay, it's just a personal preference, not a universal condemnation. Not everyone likes tomatoes, for example.

Old 11-06-2015   #16
gb hill

Right now the leaves are at peak here. I'm guessing up in Roanoke you are at peak or perhaps slightly past. Seems to have come late this year. Your photo's look well exposed. Nice F100.

Old 11-06-2015   #17
Cameron

Quote:
But it's okay, it's just a personal preference, not a universal condemnation. Not everyone likes tomatoes, for example.
But everyone loves tomato soup.

Old 11-06-2015   #18
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogiel View Post
F100 is great, but for the kind of phosos as shown above it is not the right tool. You'd be much better off with a TLR or Pentax 67. F100 is good for stuff you need to nail fast:

Not the wrong camera IMO ... perhaps not the ideal format. I don't understand the wrong camera remark?

Old 11-06-2015   #19
FrankS

It's about choosing the best tool for the job.

It's like the carpenter choosing a smaller hammer for trim finishing nails.

The camera determines the format, so if it's the wrong format, it's the wrong camera.

Old 11-06-2015   #20
gb hill

Quote:
It's about choosing the best tool for the job.

It's like the carpenter choosing a smaller hammer for trim finishing nails.

The camera determines the format, so if it's the wrong format, it's the wrong camera.
unless it's an iphone & you just change formats. I love the power of the square.

Old 11-07-2015   #21
farlymac
PF McFarland

Here are some more shots from later in the day, this time utilizing a Polarizing filter.

Three of ten more added to the album.

Standout by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Catawba Creek Valley by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Topped Out by P F McFarland, on Flickr

See more at https://flic.kr/s/aHskohs9EM

Oh, and I'll use whatever camera I please, thank you very much.

PF

Old 11-08-2015   #22
lawrence

Quote:
For me, the F100 was too much like a dslr. I prefer a more traditional interface and don't need so many features. That's just me.
Not just you, Frank, mine's currently on eBay.

Old 11-08-2015   #23
lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
But everyone loves tomato soup.
But not as much as leek and potato

Old 11-08-2015   #24
Archlich

The features on the F100, unlike the DSLRs', don't get in the way as you only need to set them up once.

Fitted with a K3 screen (file the little tab off to put it on) it becomes one of the best automated MF SLRs around - better than most Contax offered.

Old 11-08-2015   #25
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperture64 View Post
Highly unlikely and the F100 is a much improved camera over the N90s. I own both.
I didn't make myself clear. The F100 probably isn't going to change its custom settings all by itself. What I should say is that I might accidentally change them--you know, sort of like butt-dialing the iPhone. There is something to be said for a set of dials and controls you can check by glancing over them every so often.

Old 11-08-2015   #26
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
But not as much as leek and potato
Make mine Progresso Italian Wedding soup.

Old 11-08-2015   #27
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Not the wrong camera IMO ... perhaps not the ideal format. I don't understand the wrong camera remark?
In my mind it is the wrong camera for some shots, not because of the camera, but because of the lack of a useful DOF scale on the lenses. A lot of my shots call for a hyperfocal distance setting. A camera and lens that just zips to one focal distance makes the process of including all the key picture elements within the acceptable DOF range pretty haphazard.

Old 11-08-2015   #28
underlord

I have had mine for three years and love it. The only thing I dislike is when rewinding film, in particular, black & white. Damn thing disappears into the canister unless I intervene. Sometimes losing a frame or two in the process.
I have to ask though, what is 'the Armorall treatment'?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/underl...57631605415929

https://www.flickr.com/photos/underlord/albums/

Old 11-08-2015   #29
seagrove
Rich

When I was making the change from Olympus for news work, I leaned toward Nikon over Canon. At first I tried a Nikon F4s but found the weight (too heavy) and the AF capability lacking. Then I happened on the F100. From what I understand the AF system is very similar to the F5 (that I could not afford) and, even with the MB-15 drive, the F100 was lighter than either the F4s or F5. I used two of these bodies for several years before going digital. Then, after a year or so with a D1 and D1h, I bought a Nikon D2H which I kept for a decade before retiring. While I loved my Olys for their light weight and metering systems, I love the F100 and D2H for their reliability and consistency.

Old 11-08-2015   #30
farlymac
PF McFarland

Quote:
Originally Posted by underlord View Post
I have had mine for three years and love it. The only thing I dislike is when rewinding film, in particular, black & white. Damn thing disappears into the canister unless I intervene. Sometimes losing a frame or two in the process.
I have to ask though, what is 'the Armorall treatment'?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/underl...57631605415929
A common problem with the N90 and F100 is that the grip backs on them start to break down, and get sticky. What you do to treat this is clean it off with alcohol (preferably the higher percentage version), then coat it with a liberal amount of ArmorAll car interior protectant. That has to cure for a few days, then you are good to go.

When I tried this on my N90s, I didn't get enough ArmorAll on the back, and so I started over with the treatment. Doing this, I wound up removing the some of the coating, so I'm going to remove the rest of it as soon as I figure a way to keep the little icon strip from disappearing. I'm thinking some clear label tape will do the trick.

My first observations of using the F100 are how much quieter it is than the N90s.

I've got the battery packs on both cameras, so that doesn't make much difference in the way they handle, though the one on the F100 helps it stand better.

It came with the grid screen, which is a great addition in my opinion, seeing as I have so much trouble keeping my horizons straight.

Nice improvement in AF speed, with no stutters so far. Something I have to try out is setting the focus point.

New dials and switch additions are great, especially the On-Off switch. It's much easier for me to remember to shut the camera off between locations, and less likely to be accidentally moved. Dual control wheels, metering switch, and built-in diopter adjuster are fantastic, though I wish it had an eyepiece blind like the N90s. I'll try not to lose the one I bought.

It just feels better than the N90s, with a good grip, and more balance. And it looks great too.

PF