Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X Lenses & Images

35/2...what a sweet lens
Old 11-02-2015   #1
back alley
IMAGES

35/2...what a sweet lens

went to a photo trade show this past weekend and got to play at the fuji table!!!
first thing i reached for was the 35/2 lens...it looks like a rf lens...very much in the image of a cv or leica lens...well made, small with crisp aperture ring changes...as much as i like the 27 this 35 is so very tempting just on looks/feel alone....on the xpro1 or the xe2 it transports one to a fine rf experience...
the 90 was a handful...much bigger than i'd imagined...bigger than the 56 which looked petite beside it...as much as i love the images seen from the 90, i think i'll be sticking to the 56...
bad news though...according to the fuji rep...the new firmware for the xe2 is coming in the new fiscal year...not the new year, new fiscal year meaning around march...i was really hoping for something sooner.

Old 11-02-2015   #2
goamules

I only shoot legacy lenses on my X camera, but have wanted at least one autofocus, Fuji over the years. I keep toying with the idea of the vaunted 35/1.4. I also don't normally look at "specs" on lenses, but since I didn't even know about this new 35/2, I decided to look at the review here: http://www.lenstip.com/456.11-Lens_r...R_Summary.html Which says the following:
Cons:
too high level of chromatic aberration,
huge coma,
high vignetting,
noticeable distortion.

Man, that's pretty much every optical problem in the book. Edges have severe problems. Why would anyone want this lens again? Because it's silver and looks "Leica-y?" Pixel peepers are always saying old Pen-F, Cannon LTM, and Leica M lenses "don't work well on the APS-C sensor..." But I've never found that to be the case. Ever.

Old 11-02-2015   #3
back alley
IMAGES

the first reviews that i read were pretty good...

Old 11-02-2015   #4
back alley
IMAGES

http://jonasraskphotography.com/2015/10/21/xf35mm/

Old 11-02-2015   #5
back alley
IMAGES

Summary

Pros
handy but solid and weather resistant casing,
sensational image quality in the frame centre,
sensible image quality on the edge of the frame,
moderate lateral chromatic aberration,
lack of problems with spherical aberration,
negligible astigmatism,
good performance against bright light,
silent and accurate autofocus.

Cons:

huge coma,
high vignetting,
noticeable distortion.

It is true that the Fujinon XF 35 mm f/2 R WR didn’t avoid slip-ups. Still, even before you tested it, you could expect most of these flaws by just looking at its parameters. It would be difficult to be very demanding when you deal with a tiny f/2.0 lens because it will never correct the vignetting well. Small physical dimensions of standard lenses also mean bad coma correction and the distortion slip-up is caused by the approach adapted by the Fujifilm company – they more often than not let the software deal with that aberration.

If you decide to buy the small, handy Fujinon XF 35 mm f/2 R WR you have to agree to compromises. Still you get a lot in return. The lens will enchant you with its sensational image quality beginning already from the maximum relative aperture. It is a very solid argument, making the tested lens completely recommendable.

Old 11-02-2015   #6
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
Yummy, looks sweet, compact and sharp !
I WONDER how much ?
$399. usd

Old 11-02-2015   #7
MCTuomey

Quote:
Originally Posted by goamules View Post
I only shoot legacy lenses on my X camera, but have wanted at least one autofocus, Fuji over the years. I keep toying with the idea of the vaunted 35/1.4. I also don't normally look at "specs" on lenses, but since I didn't even know about this new 35/2, I decided to look at the review here: http://www.lenstip.com/456.11-Lens_r...R_Summary.html Which says the following:
Cons:
huge coma,
high vignetting,
noticeable distortion.

Man, that's pretty much every optical problem in the book. Edges have severe problems. Why would anyone want this lens again? Because it's silver and looks "Leica-y?" Pixel peepers are always saying old Pen-F, Cannon LTM, and Leica M lenses "don't work well on the APS-C sensor..." But I've never found that to be the case. Ever.
lenstip has this to say about the xf 35/1.4:

Cons:
■image quality near the maximum relative aperture on the edge of the frame should have been better,
■noticeable longitudinal chromatic aberration,
■distinct coma,
■huge vignetting,
■not very accurate autofocus.

I have a 35/1.4 and think it's pretty special. Guess I'm the fool for ignoring lenstip. Re the xf 35/2, well, it's pretty tiny, and you don't get tiny without some compromises/faults. You can always hang a ZM 35 f/1.4 on the end of an x-body and revel in perfection.

My Flickr

Old 11-02-2015   #8
pluton

Quote:
Cons:
huge coma,
high vignetting,
noticeable distortion.

1. Lenstip looked at one unit.
2. Their "test" is taking pictures of a printed chart, and then having a computer analyze it.
3. It is the flaws that make the lens' 'look'. Some of the best lenses in history wouldn't score sh*t on Lenstip.

Old 11-02-2015   #9
ruby.monkey

Quote:
It's compact, it's weather-sealed, it offers autofocus, and it'll make my X-T1 an all-weather go-anywhere camera without my having to carry it in a bag or pouch.

Old 11-02-2015   #10
seajak

Sample images in this review at DSLR Magazine.

cheers,
clay

Old 11-03-2015   #11
goamules

I guess I never knew about Lenstip reviews....never looked at one. I acknowledge many lenses have flaws (most), and I still like them. I shoot a few very flawed antique lenses.

Old 11-03-2015   #12
jsrockit

When's the release date for this lens?

Old 11-03-2015   #13
fenixv8

All I could find was November 2015 for release date.

Old 11-03-2015   #14
back alley
IMAGES

the trade show said their 2 copies were pre-production samples and release would be next month...meaning november...

Old 11-03-2015   #15
splitimageview

November 14.

Fuji has not made any lens that isn't stellar, I wouldn't expect anything less with the 35/2

Old 11-04-2015   #16
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
When's the release date for this lens?
In agreement with splitimageview's report, Amazon says November 14.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 11-06-2015   #17
majid
Fazal Majid

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_901 View Post
In agreement with splitimageview's report, Amazon says November 14.
I received mine today from B&H. On the X-T1, quiet and fast AF. On the X-Pro1, no so fast AF, but that is to be expected.

Old 11-07-2015   #18
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by majid View Post
I received mine today from B&H. On the X-T1, quiet and fast AF. On the X-Pro1, no so fast AF, but that is to be expected.
Lucky you!

I'll be using mine on the X-T1. How is the lens focus barrel?

Do you get a lens hood? I think there are/will be two. It's been said Fujifilm will soon offer rectangular hoods for some of their existing primes (besides those that came with rectangular hoods in the first place).
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 11-07-2015   #19
jsrockit

Mine came yesterday too... only problem is that I haven't obtained a body yet.

Old 11-07-2015   #20
lynnb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Mine came yesterday too... only problem is that I haven't obtained a body yet.
sounds like an unfortunate oversight
Flickr

Old 11-07-2015   #21
Texsport

My Canon FD 35/2 concave front lens is certainly a favorite of mine.

Besides spectacular sharpness and color rendition, for general picture taking, I have used it recently with Cinestill 800T in a Canon FD EF camera to shoot stars. The EF has a built in timer, one choice being a 16 second exposure - perfect for this lens to prevent apparent star movement.

I like the 35/2 so much, I invested in a slightly faster Olympus OMD with a Voigtlander 10.5/0.95 lens - to further explore star photography.

The 35/2 rocks!

Texsport

This discussion is a perfect illustration of what I constantly tell my wife - you can never have enough cameras, lenses, guns, or golf clubs - oh, and diamonds, according to her! - Texsport

"That girl can make a dog break his chain!" - Justified - 2015.

Old 11-07-2015   #22
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
lol!!

Old 11-07-2015   #23
majid
Fazal Majid

Quote:
I'll be using mine on the X-T1. How is the lens focus barrel?
It's ok, not astounding, fly-by-wire as with the other XF lenses.

Quote:
Do you get a lens hood? I think there are/will be two. It's been said Fujifilm will soon offer rectangular hoods for some of their existing primes (besides those that came with rectangular hoods in the first place).
The supplied lens hood is very small, and essentially the same size as the outer circumference of the lens cap. The vented hood will be an optional accessory. I haven't heard about rectangular lens hoods, but it would make sense.

Old 11-08-2015   #24
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by majid View Post
It's ok, not astounding, fly-by-wire as with the other XF lenses.
Thanks for the report.

In my experience the Fujifilm focus-by-wire experience is depends greatly on the generation of the lens (number digital steps), the speed of the camera's CPU and the efficiency of the firmware algorithms.

It sounds as though the 35/2 design is similar to other newer primes.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 11-09-2015   #25
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
Corrected... X-T1 incoming.

Old 11-09-2015   #26
back alley
IMAGES

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2015.../#.VkDoM_lVhBc

Old 11-09-2015   #27
f16sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post

Thanks
This helps further confirm .... I'm staying wit the f1.4/35mm for now.
The extra stop is a yes !

Old 11-09-2015   #28
jsrockit

For me, weather sealing and faster AF make the F2 a winner. Winter's coming.

Old 11-09-2015   #29
back alley
IMAGES

my choice is between another lens or a new body...i'm tempted by the new 35, enough to sell the 27 to put the $$ towards it...or waiting for another round of new bodies...an xe-3 with articulated screen would be perfect for me or maybe the xt1...

Old 11-09-2015   #30
rogue_designer
Reciprocity Failure

Anyone have a size side by side with the XF 35/1.4? I've always been impressed by how relatively small that lens felt on the XPro1. Looking at images, the 35/2 doesnt' seem that much smaller.

---
My Flickr | StreetLevel Photography

Old 11-09-2015   #31
GaryLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
my choice is between another lens or a new body...i'm tempted by the new 35, enough to sell the 27 to put the $$ towards it...or waiting for another round of new bodies...an xe-3 with articulated screen would be perfect for me or maybe the xt1...
Not sure if the sale is still on, but u can be sure there will be another.. Right now in the US, the xt10 is $100 cheaper than xe2..699 vs 799 when I checked b&h about 2 weeks ago.

Gary

Old 11-09-2015   #32
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_designer View Post
Anyone have a size side by side with the XF 35/1.4? I've always been impressed by how relatively small that lens felt on the XPro1. Looking at images, the 35/2 doesnt' seem that much smaller.
check the link above...

Old 11-09-2015   #33
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryLH View Post
Not sure if the sale is still on, but u can be sure there will be another.. Right now in the US, the xt10 is $100 cheaper than xe2..699 vs 799 when I checked b&h about 2 weeks ago.

Gary
here, the prices are higher and seem to be about the same for most of the x bodies...except for the xt1...if the xm1 was on sale i would consider it too.

Old 11-10-2015   #34
OurManInTangier
An Undesirable

Does anyone have any knowledge of the difference in AF speed between the f2 and f1.4 on a fully updated XPro?

The only reason I'd consider buying the new 35mm is if there's a significant increase in AF speed on my XPro bodies. WR is nice but not necessary for me and in reality I imagine holding off and waiting to see what any XPro2 is like is my next step. The 1.4 is an awesome lens but on the XPro I have missed the odd opportunity covering weddings in darker venues with low contrast.

| SLP: Work website

Old 11-10-2015   #35
willie_901

These lenses are similar in size as the 35/2 is only ~ 10% smaller and lighter. The narrower front diameter is a small benefit with the X-Pro 1 OVF.

The main difference is AF speed on bodies with faster CPUs (XE2, XT-1, X-10). Increased CPU performance supports more sophisticated firmware algorithms which take full advantage of newer lens' AF design.

If you like to use a small, soft-sided camera bag (as I do) the small decrease in length is welcome.

I sold the excellent 35/1.4 and ordered the 35/2 because:
  • I will use it with a X-T1 and want quicker, quieter AF
  • The size difference
  • I like the funky, conical barrel
  • I have purchased seven XF series lenses. Based on their build quality and optics, I believe the 35/2 meet my needs.
  • Why not have a WR lens if you have a WR body?
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 11-10-2015   #36
jsrockit

Quote:

I sold the excellent 35/1.4 and ordered the 35/2 because:
  • I will use it with a X-T1 and want quicker, quieter AF
  • The size difference
  • I like the funky, conical barrel
  • Why not have a WR lens if you have a WR body?
I agree...

Update
Old 11-10-2015   #37
willie_901

Update

So after lunch the local camera shop phones with the news my 25/2 XF lens arrived. I drove over and picked it up.
  • Despite the on-line size comparisons photos and the dimension/weight stats we've all seen, when you hold it in your hand it really is smaller. I guess it's that: volume = π * r^2 * h thing. My first thought was "it is smaller". The conical shape reinforces this impression. When I put the camera in my small, soft-sided shoulder bag the similar lengths of both 35s were apparent.
  • The lens cap seems to be an improvement over previous primes. I have to carry it around for a few days to be sure.
  • The hood is well-sized (surprisingly small) and compliments the conical design.
  • The aperture ring is well done. Not only are the 1/3 stop indents a step forward (lame pun... sorry), but the fell and firmness of the ring's mechanics are welcome compared to some XF Fujinons.
  • I only have an X-T1 body now. With the X-T1 AF is smooth, and reasonably silent.
  • I used the X-T1 PDAF regions and had no AF problems with resdidential interior ambient lighting at night. The longest focus time was from across two rooms and a hall (~30 ft) to the jeans on my knee. Otherwise the speed is unremarkable (i.e. as fast as other camera's I've owned). There was no hunting. The CDAF speed is similar to other newer XF primes I use. [1]
  • The MF barrel ring works well with the X-T1. The lag is almost non-existent, the response (throw sensitivity?) matches the EVF MF aids well.
  • The out-of-focus rendering is fine given the maximum aperture and sensor area. I need to investigate this further... especially for my pet peeve – longitudinal CA artifacts. So far so good. Of course most f 2 lenses have minimal LCA anyway.

[1] I use MF, manual exposure and invoke AF with the AFL back button. I choose menu parameters that maximize AF speed for my projects. The AF speed can vary greatly depending on, how much automated operation one uses and if the AF parameters are optimized for the task at hand. AF will certainly be slower and may even hunt with first generation bodies and in situations with low contrast focus objects.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 11-10-2015   #38
GaryLH

GAS

Gary

Old 11-13-2015   #39
TKH

I sent my 35mm f2 back to the shop.

My copy of the 35mm f1.4 is way better performer.

The points for the 35mm f2:

1. Inner fokus
2. Silent. It "sounds" quicker, but I think its only 10% better AF performance
3. A bit more wide. Around 3-5mm than the 35/1.4
4. Weather resistance

The points for the 35mm f1.4:

1. f1.4 - f1.8
2. A little more nice Bokeh on f2
3. From the middle better performance and in the corners the clear winner. Also on f4 the lens is more detailed an crisper.

Please have a look for yourself. All pics with a tripod.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/133488...posted-public/

Samyang 12mm f2 + XF 18mm f2 + Olympus Zuiko 24mm f2.8 with Kipon Tilt/Shift + XF 35mm f1.4 + XF 56mm f1.2 + XC 50-230mm

My English B/W Photo Blog

My German Photo Blog

Old 11-13-2015   #40
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKH View Post

2. Silent. It "sounds" quicker, but I think its only 10% better AF performance
How did you measure this?