Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Nikkor lenses are tough!
Old 08-24-2015   #1
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Nikkor lenses are tough!

How do I know this?

I dropped my Nikkor 24-120 VR G Zoom on the weekend from shoulder height on to a concrete floor. When it hit the floor the lens cap and hood flew off and landed a few feet away. I expected the worst but there isn't a mark on it and it still works perfectly. Not a hugely expensive lens (cost me $1600 AUD new) but it's the only do all lens I currently have for the D4 so this was a huge relief!

Old 08-24-2015   #2
rodt16s

When does the concrete get out of intensive care

Old 08-24-2015   #3
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
How do I know this?

I dropped my Nikkor 24-120 VR G Zoom on the weekend from shoulder height on to a concrete floor. When it hit the floor the lens cap and hood flew off and landed a few feet away. I expected the worst but there isn't a mark on it and it still works perfectly. Not a hugely expensive lens (cost me $1600 AUD new) but it's the only do all lens I currently have for the D4 so this was a huge relief!

Wow! Go buy a lottery ticket! Or, endorse Nikon for a paid advertisement appearance!

Dave

Old 08-24-2015   #4
Santtu Määttänen
Visual Poet

but they ain't durable enough at all times. My 50mm f1.2 ai-s dropped from one meter height to soft carpet and broke the back element as well as made it impossible to focus (knocked it out of threads)

Old 08-24-2015   #5
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Not a hugely expensive lens (cost me $1600 AUD new)
Wow, when do lenses become 'expensive'?

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 08-24-2015   #6
rbsinto

Location: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada Thornhill is a suburb of Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santtu Määttänen View Post
but they ain't durable enough at all times. My 50mm f1.2 ai-s dropped from one meter height to soft carpet and broke the back element as well as made it impossible to focus (knocked it out of threads)
Many years ago, I remember reading that the Nikkor 50 1.2 was rather delicate (had some thin glass bits as I recall) and that a bump to the side of the lens barrel could either break an element or knock it out of alignment, so this is not surprising.
On the other hand, my 300 2.8 AIS while mounted on my motorized F2AS fell off the hood of my car and none of the gear sustained any damage.

Old 08-24-2015   #7
Corran

At a shoot a stupid assistant dropped my 50 f/1.2 AIS onto concrete and absolutely nothing happened to it. I also knocked it off a table onto a wooden floor once too. Mine must be especially lucky or tough. I was worried so shot a lot of tests looking for decentering, but nope all good.

Old 08-24-2015   #8
robert blu
quiet photographer

Lucky man ! And a good company !
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 08-24-2015   #9
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
Wow, when do lenses become 'expensive'?

When they have the name Leica on them!

Old 08-24-2015   #10
farlymac
PF McFarland

Quote:
How do I know this?

This is good information to know seeing as I have one coming in the mail. Like today's race cars, your hood and cap took the brunt of the force, departing from the rest of the lens before it could be damaged by the concrete. Keep shooting, Keith!

PF

Old 08-24-2015   #11
KEH

Good to know Keith. I just bought that lens along with a D750 for close-in wildlife work. Every once in a while my lens and camera end up dropping a few feet onto the metal floor of a Land Rover when I am shooting in Africa. So far so good in terms of damage...

Kirk

Old 08-25-2015   #12
oftheherd

My limited experience with dropped things has been that each time it happens, you know what happened that time.

The weirdest was my Sekonic L28c2. I dropped in on carpet over concrete. It would only work when held sideways. Several years later, in about the same place, I dropped it again. It now works perfectly.