Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Voigtlander 40mm f2
Old 07-25-2015   #1
Roughcollie

Voigtlander 40mm f2

Has anybody used the Voigtlander 40mm f2 SL-2 lens on a Nikon FM3a ?
Ken Rockwell review on this lens said it is a really excellent lens and has better optics then the Nikon own lenses.

Old 07-25-2015   #2
Addy101

I would take Ken Rockwells opinions with a grain of salt. However, the good people over at Photozone tested it on a full-frame Canon camera and it fares quite well. Slightly more distortion and vignetting then Canon's own 40/2.8 STM and also less resolution, but it has more or less the same distortion and vignetting as the Zeiss ZE/ZF 50/1.4 with better resolution. So, a decent performer.

There is of course more to a lens then these numbers, but they at least show that the basics are good but not spectacular. Now, maybe somebody who actually used it could comment on handling and rendering

Old 07-25-2015   #3
jmilkins
Digited User

Yes I have. I really like its handling on the Nikon FM3a - and with the close up filter it makes for a great walk around kit. Focus is well damped and has a quality feel. Paired with a 28 Nikkor and 85 Nikkor and you have an awesome bigger kit.

Couple of snaps on 100 ASA colour converted to mono.

[IMG]January days 2 by john m, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]january days 1 by john m, on Flickr[/IMG]

My gallery
The FlickR

"To ∞, and beyond!" B. Lightyear, 1995.

Old 07-25-2015   #4
markwatts
Mark Watts

Excellent combination

Old 07-25-2015   #5
KEH

This lens was permanently attached to my FM2N until I got a Nikkormat FT3. Compact and sharp, really a lovely lens. Go for it!

Kirk

Old 07-25-2015   #6
jamin-b

I have the M42 version that I use with a Bessaflexand it is quite a good performer, compact and has a nice close focus range. I don't quite gush over it as much as others on the web - somehow it lacks a special "wow factor" - it's "merely superb", clear, great color rendition, maybe too "perfect"?! I am spoiled by some of my special character rangefinder lenses...
some samples: https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_...0mm&view_all=1

BTW - I have a FM3A + Nikon 45mm waiting for me in Ny that I will get my hands on in a couple of week. I am curious to see how the pancakes line up against one another...

Old 07-25-2015   #7
Robert Lai

I gave up my Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI and a Nikkor 35mm f/1.4 AIS and decided to consolidate it all in just the Voigtlander 40mm f/2. Mine is the first version, with the AI coupling prongs still present. The latest version lacks the AI coupling. It is fatter than the 50mm 1.8, about as long or slightly shorter. The amount of barrel distortion is about the same as the 50mm Nikkor, which is far LESS than the distortion of the 35mm Nikkor.

Wide open, the contrast of the Voigtlander is much higher than from either of the Nikkors at the same aperture. The Nikkors suffer from some spherical aberration veiling flare wide open. The CV lens with aspherical element is sharp and contrasty out to the corners.