Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF News

RFF News News related to photography and rangefinderforum.

New Amedeo adapter opinion.
Old 07-09-2015   #1
Amedeo Muscelli
RFF Sponsor

New Amedeo adapter opinion.

Dear members, this is a prototype adapter for to use Zeiss 50mm rangefinder Contax lenses on Leica M bodies, but this time, the focus way and the pitch of the helical is the same of 50mm Leica Lenses.

The construction is similar of the 50mm Elmar model, have the lever with no lock mechanism and can be focused from 0,6 meters / 2 feet, I do not know if can be considered a macro adapter.

The lens lock mechanism is a novelty and never sight before, is a spring loaded half cam, must be rotated around 30 degrees by mean of a small lever when mount and remove the lens.

Regards,
Amedeo Muscelli

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 07-09-2015   #2
Gary Sandhu

Looks beautiful and I like the lock. As the pitch is the same, will it still focus properly using the rangefinder; or will it require live-view focussing only?

Old 07-09-2015   #3
Monochrom

Excelelnt Amedeo!!!

At last the throw is the same side as leica!!!

When will be available? And the price?

Congrats!!!

Old 07-09-2015   #4
Amedeo Muscelli
RFF Sponsor

It will be rangefinder coupled at all distances. from 0,6 meters to infinite.

Old 07-09-2015   #5
Amedeo Muscelli
RFF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monochrom View Post
Excelelnt Amedeo!!!

At last the throw is the same side as leica!!!

When will be available? And the price?

Congrats!!!
Will sell around $150, can ship the next week in chrome finish.

Old 07-09-2015   #6
jonmanjiro

Wow, excellent idea for an adapter. Well done, Amedeo! Any plans to make a Nikon - Leica version as well?

Old 07-09-2015   #7
Brian Legge

I recently purchased your ltm/contax adapter. Fantastic quality and I've loved using it. The long throw is the only down side for me as I have a big preference for fast focusing helicals. I'm excited about your exploration here. I'd love to see one with a throw closer to the Elmar-M (v2) though I can imagine some challenges there.

Old 07-09-2015   #8
nhchen
Nathan

Cool, the focus tab is an excellent idea. When I put collapsible lenses on my adapter it, the lens always seems to unlock from its extended position when I try to focus too quickly.
regards,
nathan

Old 07-09-2015   #9
alphonse2501

Will all Kiev Contax lens be able use this adapter?

Old 07-10-2015   #10
maddoc
... likes film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post
Wow, excellent idea for an adapter. Well done, Amedeo! Any plans to make a Nikon - Leica version as well?
+1. A Nikon - Leica version would be most excellent!

flickr
pBase

Old 07-10-2015   #11
Vincent.G
平和、愛、喜び

I would be keen to get one if there is the Nikon - Leica version.

Old 07-10-2015   #12
Amedeo Muscelli
RFF Sponsor

Quote:
In 10 days can have a Nikon version.

Old 07-10-2015   #13
Amedeo Muscelli
RFF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphonse2501 View Post
Will all Kiev Contax lens be able use this adapter?

This adapter is only for 50mm lenses, the lens lock mechanism has been tested only with Zeiss and Nikon lenses, will get a Kiev lens this week for to test it.

Old 07-10-2015   #14
brbo

I have your Zeiss -> Leica M adapter (to use with post WWII Zeiss Sonnar 1,5/50) and this new adapter would stop me thinking about going for a modern Zeiss C Sonnar 1,5/50.

Hell, if I had a C Sonnar I'd sell it and buy your adapter and a Contax mount Sonnar for the close(r) focusing alone...

P.S. I can help you with testing compatibility with Kiev Jupiter-8

Old 07-10-2015   #15
burancap

I also had your Contax -> M Adapter. Beautiful piece. I would be interested in this new design.

Old 07-10-2015   #16
B-9
Devin Bro

Nice! It's great to see you adding to your outstanding resume Amedeo!

I really like this new design!

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 07-10-2015   #17
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

Nice design.

Will you offer these adapters in LTM later on?

Old 07-10-2015   #18
Mudman

Very Cool. I know you make a wide angle version that is not RF coupled. Is there a way to get RF coupling with a 35mm lenses as well?

Old 07-10-2015   #19
Srono

Im in the queue for nikon version! Will buy immediately. Thanks for keep working on these.

Btw, any chance that it will works with those lenses which were not supported by previous version? (e.g 35/1.8 nikkor)

Old 07-10-2015   #20
Amedeo Muscelli
RFF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
Very Cool. I know you make a wide angle version that is not RF coupled. Is there a way to get RF coupling with a 35mm lenses as well?
The problems with wideangle lenses not is the adapter, is the lack of space into the Leica body.

Old 07-10-2015   #21
rscheffler

I'm definitely interested in this. I have your Contax-Leica adapter and the only thing that keeps me from really enjoying the Zeiss-Opton alongside native M lenses is the wrong focusing direction.

Where/when/how do we place an order or hold a spot in line?

Old 07-10-2015   #22
uhoh7

The new adapter looks really nice

I have two now which you made. One for Nikon and one for contax, but in use with both internal mount 50s and external mount 85 and 105s, calibration seems very much hit and miss. I also found the generally nice finish does not make it to the cams, on my copies, as both are quite rough:

Untitled by unoh7, on Flickr

Is so rough a grind normal? And what calibration should be expected from this contax adapter on which glass?

I have CZJ 50/1.5 135/4 and Nikkor "C" 85/2, 105 and 135/3.5 (all for contax).

TY so much

Old 07-10-2015   #23
Amedeo Muscelli
RFF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
The new adapter looks really nice

I have two now which you made. One for Nikon and one for contax, but in use with both internal mount 50s and external mount 85 and 105s, calibration seems very much hit and miss. I also found the generally nice finish does not make it to the cams, on my copies, as both are quite rough:

Untitled by unoh7, on Flickr

Is so rough a grind normal? And what calibration should be expected from this contax adapter on which glass?

I have CZJ 50/1.5 135/4 and Nikkor "C" 85/2, 105 and 135/3.5 (all for contax).

TY so much
That edge in the rear part of the adapter that push the rangefinder cam not is totally flat, it must be machined in a kind of ramp for to compensate the nominal 50mm focal distance engraved in the bezel of the Sonnar lens and the real 52mm. If you measure the distance of the edge and the flange of the adapter, you will find a difference in the height of 0.07mm between the infinite and the 0,9 meters, apart of that, the distance of the flange surface and the edge in the infinite position have a tolerance of 0.025mm for to have both images properly aligned on your view finder.

This machining is made before the chrome finish, with the adapter assembled, this cause somewhat of vibration by the fragility of the structure and the play of thousandths of millimeters present in the helical, once machined I canīt touch that surface with sandpaper or any other method, for that you see these marks on that surface.

Regards,
Amedeo.

Old 07-10-2015   #24
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amedeo Muscelli View Post
can be focused from 0,6 meters / 2 feet
Thinking about this a bit more, I'm not so sure the 0.6 meter close focus is a good idea, Amedeo. Wouldn't it be better to stop at 0.7 meters so the rangefinder is coupled all the way from infinity to 0.70 meters, instead of losing coupling in the last 0.1 meter to 0.6 meters?

It would be a different story if the adapter focused down to 0.3 meters, but for just an extra 0.1 meters close focusing it seems the hassle for a rangefinder camera user would be greater than the benefit. FYI quite a few people complain about using close focusing M-mount Voigtlander lenses on a rangefinder, because they forget about the rangefinder becoming uncoupled below 0.65 - 0.70 meters. The lenses can focus down to 0.3 meters in some cases, but of course a rangefinder camera cannot.

Anyway, just my two yen worth. Other than that, the new adapter is great!

Old 07-10-2015   #25
Vics

Great job, Amadeo! I have the old one and love it. This would have caught my eye back in my Leica days! Keep up the great work.

My Flickr

Old 07-10-2015   #26
uhoh7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amedeo Muscelli View Post
That edge in the rear part of the adapter that push the rangefinder cam not is totally flat, it must be machined in a kind of ramp for to compensate the nominal 50mm focal distance engraved in the bezel of the Sonnar lens and the real 52mm. If you measure the distance of the edge and the flange of the adapter, you will find a difference in the height of 0.07mm between the infinite and the 0,9 meters, apart of that, the distance of the flange surface and the edge in the infinite position have a tolerance of 0.025mm for to have both images properly aligned on your view finder.

This machining is made before the chrome finish, with the adapter assembled, this cause somewhat of vibration by the fragility of the structure and the play of thousandths of millimeters present in the helical, once machined I canīt touch that surface with sandpaper or any other method, for that you see these marks on that surface.

Regards,
Amedeo.
TY so much for the reply. I was thinking of sandpapering it, but sounds as though I should not.

With the older ones like that, should I expect calibration with lenses I mentioned in the first post? My CZJ 50/1.5 1937 does...front focus I believe.

I'm shooting M9.

all the best and thank you.

Old 07-10-2015   #27
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Bojic View Post
But would be great for EVF. Therefore it's a good idea to go to 0.6
Yes good for EVF, but it would be just one of a bunch of adapters for EVF cameras on the market that can focus Contax and Nikon lenses, and most can focus closer than 0.6 meters. The cool thing about this adapter is the Leica focusing direction combined with rangefinder coupling which it loses below 0.7 meters.

Now, if the adapter had a click stop at 0.7 meters to indicate RF decoupling and focused down to 0.3 meters, then you'd be cooking with gas!

Old 07-10-2015   #28
raid
Dad Photographer

Excellent, as usual, Amedeo.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 07-11-2015   #29
Enoyarnam

Amadeo, your adaptors are unique. Once these adaptors are available I would definitely want to buy the contax and the Nikon versions on my Leica M9.

Old 07-12-2015   #30
Amedeo Muscelli
RFF Sponsor

Quote:
Thinking about this a bit more, I'm not so sure the 0.6 meter close focus is a good idea, Amedeo. Wouldn't it be better to stop at 0.7 meters so the rangefinder is coupled all the way from infinity to 0.70 meters, instead of losing coupling in the last 0.1 meter to 0.6 meters?

It would be a different story if the adapter focused down to 0.3 meters, but for just an extra 0.1 meters close focusing it seems the hassle for a rangefinder camera user would be greater than the benefit. FYI quite a few people complain about using close focusing M-mount Voigtlander lenses on a rangefinder, because they forget about the rangefinder becoming uncoupled below 0.65 - 0.70 meters. The lenses can focus down to 0.3 meters in some cases, but of course a rangefinder camera cannot.

Anyway, just my two yen worth. Other than that, the new adapter is great!
Hello Jonmanjiro, the 0,6 meters / 2 feed was the limit where it can be turned without cause problems, turn up to 0,5 will separate both parts, 0,3 meters will not be possible. A position of the rangefinder cam in the Leica body 3 millimeters back, could let focus up tp 0,3m.

The rangefinder mechanism of my M8 body is capable to focus to 0,6 meter.

Old 07-12-2015   #31
Amedeo Muscelli
RFF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
TY so much for the reply. I was thinking of sandpapering it, but sounds as though I should not.

With the older ones like that, should I expect calibration with lenses I mentioned in the first post? My CZJ 50/1.5 1937 does...front focus I believe.

I'm shooting M9.

all the best and thank you.
Hi, please read this article: http://www.zeisscamera.com/articles_focallength.shtml

The real focal length of old lenses not is a exact number, but after a lot of feedback with buyers, specially those picky, repeatedly complaining and meticulous who I appreciate because force to me to do a better work, I got a 51,2mm for Contax and 51,45mm for Nikon.

Those average numbers are worked well the last 4 years, and you must expect variations of +/- 20mm at close distance in the worse cases.

Old 07-14-2015   #32
wjlapier

I really like your adapters. Had the Nikon>LTM when you first started making them. You made me a Nikon>M in brass only--no chrome. Used it this pass week in Montana on a M7.

I'm looking forward to the Contax version. I've had a Contax 50/2 Opton for a long time.

Remember this one? On a M6 back then, but now always on my M7.

M6Top by wjlapier, on Flickr

It's here!!!
Old 08-14-2015   #33
brbo

It's here!!!

I just took delivery of the new Amedeo Contax -> M adapter.

First impressions:

- couples with the rangefinder on my M6 down to last millimetre, so there is no worry about focusing the lens past minimum coupled focusing distance (at least on M6) - this is a BIG deal for me. Having my favourite lens (Sonnar 1,5/50) focus down to the limit of the rangefinder is a dream come true for me. Not even modern C Sonnar can do this.

- perfect rangfinder matching at infinity

- I'm not a fan of focusing levers and I don't like the one on this new adapter either, it runs a bit too low for my taste, too close to the body and I brush my fingers against the framelines lever on my M6 if I focus by the lever. But, it looks like reversible removal should be easy enough.

- locking tab was out of its position when I opened the package. I don't know what happened in transport. I had to make a new "spring". I cut a new one from a piece of tin I found on the streen on my way home. I'm sure Amedeo can easily make it more robust.

All in all, I'm very happy so far.

Old 08-20-2015   #34
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Is the bayonet connection to the lens strong enough to focus by turning the lens body (rather than the focusing lever)?

Thanks!

Old 11-21-2015   #35
Alberti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante_Stella View Post
Is the bayonet connection to the lens strong enough to focus by turning the lens body (rather than the focusing lever)?

Thanks!
I have this same question. I am very interested in the smaller Nikon adapter.
I expect that turning the lens - in the same direction as a Leica lens - will shift the focus.

By the way, Zeiss lenses have 50 cm as closest range and of course the RF cam (wheel actually) floats free when this distance is selected, and that is mechanically no problem at all; with the M240 one has the live view to compose and focus now up to 60 cm.

Old 11-21-2015   #36
KyleCharles
Vagabond

Amedeo, This development makes me very happy. I have your Contax/LTM adapter. Although I don't really mind the "backwards" focusing direction and the almost 360 degree throw, I do really prefer focusing levers.

Because I do use both LTM and M mount cameras, I would really only be interested in an LTM version. Do you plan to offer a Contax/LTM version in the future??

Also, does the new adapter have a focusing throw of 180 degrees (like the original 50mm Elmars) or the 90 degree "fast" focusing throw of the more modern lenses?

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
Yes you can. Amedeo's other RF coupled adapters can be used with the Nikkor 35/2.5 lens with full RF coupling from infinity to the closest focusing distance with no problems. Here is a list of lens compatibility: http://rangefinderforum.com/forums/s...ghlight=amedeo

The 35/2.5 works great with my IIf & M2 with one caveat: I must first mount the adapter to the camera and set it to infinity. Then I set the lens focus to a bit less than infinity and mount it on the adapter. After mounting, when I rotate the lens focus to infinity I hear an audible click. Then and only then will it focus properly at all distances. Even if it is focusing properly, if I dismount and remount the lens/adapter together as a single unit, proper focusing rate will not be achieved upon remounting to the camera. I must separate the lens from the adapter every time I want to use the 35/2.5. I'm not sure if this this condition is unique to my adapter/lens combo or not because I have never heard of other people having to do the same. Either way I don't care because it still works just fine.

The other issue with this combo is that it is quite heavy (265 grams) and the ergonomics of the Nikkor 35/2.5 in Nikon mount leave a lot to be desired.

Old 11-21-2015   #37
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

KyleCharles - it's 90 degrees from marked infinity to about 1.3m, so a more modern rate.

Dante

Old 12-10-2015   #38
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

My assessment on the new one is very positive:

- Fit and finish is great.

- This is extremely helpful with collapsible lenses, which are rarely tight enough to stay locked in place when you try to turn the lens to focus. The 5cm f/2 Sonnar will collapse safely; the 5cm f/2.8 Tessar will only retract part way if it is rotated in such a way that the collapsing bayonet hits the front of the "mirror" box.

- The accuracy of the adapter with your lens will depend on the focal length of the lens (the true FL). Recall that Amedeo is not making the adapter directly from your lens, which may either have been a tiny bit off at the factory or after its last service. Also recall that film is not as critical as digital. Older Leica lenses are marked on the helical for the actual FL of 50mm lenses, and they did a lot of trial end error work to get things to work perfectly.

- It can be challenging to mount/dismount the adapter from the camera because the only way to get it to lock on or bayonet off is to get it to stop at either end of its travel. You can appreciate why Elmars had infinity locks!

- The lens lock is ingenious, though the locking tab on the lens, depending on the vintage of the lens, can be a tight fit.

- I would advocate for a 1m focusing mark.

Tutto sommato, this is a great little adapter and fairly economical. Bravo!

The product I would like to see for Contax lenses would be in the style of the original (no exposed helicoid, no tab), focusing in the direction of Leica, with a fast pitch like Leica. The outer bayonet could also be omitted. This would be excellent for use with the 50/1.5 Sonnars.

Best regards,
Dante

Old 01-29-2016   #39
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Amedeo, could the Nikon version be made in black?

Thanks!
Dante

Old 01-29-2016   #40
Amedeo Muscelli
RFF Sponsor

Hello Dante,

Can sell a brass one, chemically treated, for to be painted.

Amedeo