Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Film / Developing / Chemistry

FERRANIA FILM is looking for backers to restart FILM production - Only 28 days left !
Old 09-30-2014   #1
italy74

FERRANIA FILM is looking for backers to restart FILM production - Only 28 days left !

Hello everyone

The famous Italian film company FERRANIA is on the verge to restart its film production and you can read and listen to every detail here in English, yet they need backers to reach the amount required within 28 days.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...of-analog-film

If you can't help them with money, at least help sharing this news !
Many thanks !
ps. Of course my interest is merely photographical and I have no other link or affiliation to them.

Photography is the most beautiful way to discover God's fingerprint in the littlest and simplest things.

Old 09-30-2014   #2
lrochfort

Indeed, the other thread about this didn't stress the deadline.

I just pledged for a roll of 35mm and 120.

They're going to produce slide film at first and the colour negative later.

Kodak is looking dodgy and Fuji are increasingly in it for the money.

Pledge people!

Old 09-30-2014   #3
apostasiometritis

I did my bit - even a modest amount is enough for those who hesitate.

Old 09-30-2014   #4
Fernando2

Let me start saying I'm not affiliated with FILM Ferrania in any way.

Now: they opened a KickStart project to raise funds, because they realized they really need to pick up and rescue some larger machineries from the now-gone production facilities.
To pick up and rescue those big machineries, is not a small feat.
But it should allow Ferrania to be back in business full-throttle.

If you have time (and a few dollars) to spare, have a look at their KickStarter page:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...of-analog-film

Fernando

Old 09-30-2014   #5
Aristophanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
This bunch look like they need to get a little more sleep!

Or cappuccinos.

Old 09-30-2014   #6
riverie

This is a great news for us film shooter. I wish all the best for them.

Old 09-30-2014   #7
Lauffray
Invisible Cities

Yeah these guys are ambitious.
I checked the page just a few hours after I got their email they were at ~9k$, when I got back from work this evening they're at ~56k$. Pretty damn good for a single day !

I don't know about you guys, but I'm excited for this

Website Flickr Insta

Old 09-30-2014   #8
teleparallel

Got my numbered roll!
Actually its going to be my first slide roll.

Old 09-30-2014   #9
csxcnj

I'm in for a couple rolls of 120.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/high_green_and_clear/

Old 09-30-2014   #10
mothertrucker

I'm in for a few rolls of 35. Where does one get slide film developed these days?

Old 09-30-2014   #11
analoged

Just submitted my pledge!

Old 09-30-2014   #12
thambar
Shouldn't it be sharper?

Dwayne's Photo will process E-6: http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/common/n...Processing.pdf

Old 09-30-2014   #13
mothertrucker

Nice, thanks. I usually don't do color film, but it's for a good cause!

Old 09-30-2014   #14
zuiko85

I just don't shoot slide film but probably will back this on general principals.

Old 09-30-2014   #15
mani

Would be nice if the mods could make this a featured or sticky post for the next month!

I'm backing them! How awesome to get more color film on the market! And more jobs in Europe!

Old 09-30-2014   #16
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

I threw a few dollars their way. I can't wait to get ahold of some new slide film. Since Kodak axed their slide films, and Fuji discontinued their consumer priced films, I've been relying on Agfa Precisa. It'd be nice to have some options.

Old 09-30-2014   #17
stitchohana

already backed them (4 x 35mm). hope they can hit their target ~

Old 09-30-2014   #18
brbo

What do you intend to do with this special limited edition film?

Shoot it or save it?

I want to save it but I know I won't be able to resist the temptation.

Old 09-30-2014   #19
tsiklonaut

Did my part. A little confusing is the Ferrania US part, since it's an italian company. But they say all the greediest capitalists live in the US so it must be right, LOL

My only hope is to have a decent new E6 film coming from the revamped Scotch slide in 2015!

Old 09-30-2014   #20
Tijmendal
Young photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauffray View Post
Yeah these guys are ambitious.
I checked the page just a few hours after I got their email they were at ~9k$, when I got back from work this evening they're at ~56k$. Pretty damn good for a single day !
The first 2-3 and last 2 days are (almost) always good for more than 80% of all the money.

Old 09-30-2014   #21
markwatts
Mark Watts

Done. A lovely concept. I hope they pull it off.
Very cute linking payment to another site with my details established. Painless!

Old 10-01-2014   #22
jsrockit

Hopefully they reach their goal.

Old 10-01-2014   #23
mani

Almost over the first $100,000 already! Time to get over there and contribute if you haven't already done it!

Old 10-01-2014   #24
Dralowid
Michael

I praise their efforts 100% but from what I dimly remember Scotch film was not that great.

Are they using Scotch as a quality bench mark or have they rebuilt the old Scotch manufacturing kit to produce something much better? Dunno. Or was Scotch Ferrania in those far off days? (Actually not that far off....)

In my old mind Ferannia is more respected brand, pleased they are using it.

Old 10-01-2014   #25
bwcolor

I can understand supporting a group that is trying to make film production an economic possibility in a limited market, but if Scotchchrome is their best foot forward, then they are doomed to failure. If it isn't their best foot forward, then they have no business sense and they are doomed to failure.

Old 10-01-2014   #26
bwcolor

I'm not saying that it isn't worth contributing, but it is worrisome that the first batch is a poor representative of the E6 family at a time that E6 is the most endangered segment of film usage and I love E6. I have hundreds of rolls of E6 in my freezer, much of the films are no longer in production, but a really good business plan will be needed to pull this off. I recognize that right now they just need money.

Old 10-01-2014   #27
Villanova
Minister of Silly Walks

Just committed for the $25 reward!

For those complaining about Scotch, if FILM Ferrania meets their goal, they'll have a fully operational factory. With that, they could begin producing a variety of films, no?

Old 10-01-2014   #28
brbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcolor View Post
I'm not saying that it isn't worth contributing, but it is worrisome that the first batch is a poor representative of the E6 family at a time that E6 is the most endangered segment of film usage and I love E6.
If you are waiting for a rebirth of Kodachrome, Ektachrome or Velvia (when it's gone) type of E-6 film... well, you better use your frozen film wisely.

Old 10-01-2014   #29
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

its important to keep film in production,

but its also important to take the time and thought
to post in the correct forum -
you will appreciate that more when you are trying to find an old thread
that you don't remember so well

Stephen

Old 10-01-2014   #30
Pioneer

Good project. I'm in for a few rolls of 120. Noticed they are over $120,000 this morning. Looks to be halfway there.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Excellent news
Old 10-01-2014   #31
Skiff

Excellent news

It is a very good project that deserves our full support.
I am in, I've pledged today.
Long live colour reversal film!

Old 10-01-2014   #32
mani

Quote:
if Scotchchrome is their best foot forward, then they are doomed to failure. If it isn't their best foot forward, then they have no business sense and they are doomed to failure.
1. This thread is about raising awareness of the Kickstarter project. Butting-in on it to make dismissive and snarky comments is a jerk thing to do, in my opinion. This is like being the person that enjoys raining on other people's parade - fair enough if you want to be that person - but if I had reservations about Ferrania's historical films, then I would do it in another more appropriate thread discussing their films, rather than one appealing to enthusiasts. That's how I would do it anyway.
2. Ferrania have gone out there and explicitly said that backers shouldn't judge them on the old Scotch chrome. They've been responsive in other ways, as well - saying they're open to suggestions and feedback. This is a small dedicated group of people doing their best to be agile in a changing market - not the old, faceless multinational corporation that didn't care about anything other than making money.
3. I get really annoyed by people on this forum making cheap sarcastic and dismissive comments about projects like this. Some good, honest people are endeavoring to make a living in a decent way, and as a byproduct give us all more films to use and enjoy, and in the meantime there are people on RFF who sit down at their laptops and without a second thought dismiss the enormous effort with some flippant one-liner.
4. If the Kickstarter gets funded, then the factory will be able to produce a broad range of films - not just the film that you personally seem to hate so much. There's lots of lovely films in their old portfolio - I personally love the pastel look I've seen in a lot of Solaris images on Flickr, and will probably buy that when the full production is underway.

Old 10-01-2014   #33
stonecutter

Learning about this is a great start to the day. I've pledged for a couple of rolls. Looking forward to using it.

Leica M2,M4-2,M3,M5,IIIG,IIIF, Hexar RF, Mamiya 7, Nikon F100,F6,D300(IR),D40(IR),D600++ , Zeiss, Voigtlanders and many others.

Old 10-01-2014   #34
bwcolor

It would have been better if I had been more complete and less provocative with my initial post.

I utilized my free time to review the URL and links on that page. I did this because I wanted to see if I wanted to provide funds. I also tried to view samples of this film and that is when I posted. I am not questioning the honesty of the people involved, but I don't believe that rescuing equipment will provide you with film into the future. I hope that this is a good start, but once the equipment is pulled then there needs to be a good marketing plan to address this limited market. It may be that this was discussed and the answers already provided, but I didn't see such information. Earlier, I address these questions to the primaries. I will relay the information when I have an answer, or if you have some links, that would be great.
I hope that there are some good long term plans that will result in a stable film market into the future, but that depends on the nature of the product and the price.

Old 10-01-2014   #35
Corran

ScotchChrome images that aren't ultra messed up from being expired and not stored well or cross-processed are hard to find.

I found one album on Flickr here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbe...7624830527399/

If the film looks like that, I will be SUPER happy, and if it sells for an affordable amount, I will buy a lot of it. With an 81A filter to warm it up a slight bit, it'd be perfect. Looks like Astia but even less contrasty.

Edit:
Here's another image, looks great to me...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dropletcafe/8133453391

Old 10-01-2014   #36
mani

In my view this thread wasn't about a discussion on the merits of one particular film that the 3M incarnation of Ferrania may have produced in the past (disregarding the fact that if the Kickstarter is successful, the new Ferrania will be producing a whole range of other films), it was about drawing attention to this massive and positive effort, and hoping to foster even more enthusiasm and hope.

To me the fact that a small contribution of $25, $40, or $70 will help to secure possibly ten or twenty good, honest jobs for at least the next five (or hopefully more) years seems like an incredible bargain! If I was the Italian government I'd be chipping-in a million dollars right now, and probably saving a mass of money in the long term. Imagine the difference this will make to the region, if medium-scale production of film restarts: self-reliance, confidence and a stable local economy- and we can help with our tiny part! I hope I'd do it I'd do it even if I wasn't that interested in film.

This isn't some hipster couple of programmers wanting to raise a million dollars to develop a feeble app that they then turn around and sell to Facebook - this is real wealth-creation and real jobs for a whole bunch of people. Help out!

Old 10-01-2014   #37
VertovSvilova

I think it's probably important to understand why they are even doing this Kickstarter project. They were content on just using the smaller R+D film coating machine and everything was in place for that. But it seems that after doing their survey and some more market studies, that they now feel a bigger coating machine is needed to match demand and to help keep prices reasonable (which will also allow for more consumption and keeps the film from being just a boutique product.)

So apparently they now want to rescue 'Big Boy' and the other machines (including the acetate machine) and eventually build a larger machine with more capacity than the existing R+D coating machine that's about to go online (and the machine from which the Kickstarter reward film will be produced.) This is a good sign that there is still such a strong demand for film and that a group of individuals are willing to take on all the risks involved.

fwiw, I was talking to my local vendor and they said that film sales are doing very well these days. And that more commercial photographers have included film as part of their services. In Los Angeles the top end ad firms are always trying to offer a wider range of products and film production is one extra service they can provide to their more creative clients; and then you also have all the art schools, colleges, and universities in the area that use film in their programs.

This is all good.

Just the fact that somebody somewhere is going out on a limb to make a product that certain self-proclaimed experts say is already "dead" is positive news. And whether I plan to use Ferrania film or if I dislike Scotch films isn't important. I'm going to help their Kickstarter project to voice my support for film and the use of film, and for Ferrania's effort. That a group of people are passionate enough to do this is what matters to me. All the current buzz about Ferrania is positive news for film and for future film consumption.

Old 10-01-2014   #38
VertovSvilova

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
If I was the Italian government I'd be chipping-in a million dollars right now, and probably saving a mass of money in the long term. Imagine the difference this will make to the region, if medium-scale production of film restarts: self-reliance, confidence and a stable local economy- and we can help with our tiny part! I hope I'd do it I'd do it even if I wasn't that interested in film.
I understand that the local government has already put in quite a lot of money for this which shows that they see it as an economic boost to the region. I think what you bring up about jobs and the community is equally important. More film for film users is one thing but there's more going on here. We tend to just think of ourselves and what it means to our little personal world, but it actually does have an affect on everyone in some way or another.

Old 10-01-2014   #39
Spanik

Quote:
If I was the Italian government I'd be chipping-in a million dollars right now,
IIRC they more or less gave these guys already the R&D lab with everything in it. Nice gesture I'd say.

I'm just a bit concerned about the "triacetate". This degrades and because of it is replaced by polyester since some time. I hope it is just some historical way of speech.

Old 10-01-2014   #40
zauhar

I was initially suspicious of their efforts - there was some initial buzz, then quiet for a long time. I figured it was not a serious project.

Now I see that the lead is being taken by some 'mature' tech types who don't bother with the internet. All is clear - they have been busy working, not screwing with computer marketing.

I don't remember having ever used the Scotch slide film, but if my screen is registering anything close to the true colors of the photos posted by Corran, I am glad I made a pledge.

Randy
Canon 7/50mm f1.4
Leica IIIf/Summitar/Collapsible Summicron
Yashica Electro 35