Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

Rolleicord Case repair
Old 06-02-2014   #1
Ong

Rolleicord Case repair

I don't suppose anyone knows on how to repair a Rolleicord case?

Mine came like this with my Rolleicord IV

Just really needing to fix up the bottom where the flip up front would hang off and the re-do the strap.

Getting another one off KEH is out of the question since shipping to Aus would push it past the $75 mark (which is what I paid for the camera itself) so more aiming for a DIY solution, and as much as it is a never-ready case, it does make the camera look just a tad bit sexier so...

Just really needing some ideas

Old 06-02-2014   #2
Mr_Flibble

It looks pretty far gone though,

The leather needs a hefty dose of conditioner to revitalize it, if it hasn't dry-rotted out beyond saving yet.

I guess you could reattach the broken off flaps by putting leather patch over the break. You'll need to punch a few rows of holes to stitch it all back together.

For the strap you could take a fresh strip of leather and puncture a small hole at the ends. Then make short lenght-wise cuts from the holes, away from the ends of the strap. Make the cuts long enough so the strap will go over the original rivet on the case.

Old 06-02-2014   #3
Scrambler

This is a (fairly) simple leatherworking repair. Depending how you want it to look, you could get a leather punch (I like this style) and leather lacing or use the finer punches with waxed thread. My Dad's usual solution is soft leather (but you could use something like canvas of you prefer) and contact adhesive. A 3cm strip of leather across the gap, contact adhesive on the case and on the leather and follow the instructions to glue. This is ugly but wears well.

EDIT: Mr Flibble beat me to it. If you put the two posts together you should have a complete instruction.

Old 06-03-2014   #4
Mr_Flibble

Canvas is a suitable and probably more pliable alternative. I was too focused on keeping the original look of the case for a moment

Old 06-03-2014   #5
greyelm
Malcolm

Maybe a combination of the two would work. Canvas on the inside and leather on outside of the hinge. Also, shoe polish of the correct shade is very good at hiding the surface blemishes.

Old 06-03-2014   #6
Dan Daniel

Whatever else you do, replace or eliminate that strap. It WILL break, most likely when you are on concrete or looking over the edge of a boat or bridge. Having lost a Rolleicord to a bad strap, I wouldn't use that case at all- looks dried and rotted through and through.

Old 06-03-2014   #7
Steve M.

I highly recommend the following method (been using this for 50 years).

1-open trash can. 2-drop case into can. 3-go take photos. Or, maybe trade the case for a roll of Tri-X? That's about all they're good for.

Old 06-03-2014   #8
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

I have found that cobblers can stitch a piece of leather over the torn hinge -- in effect creating a new hinge. Should be a pretty routine repair for them.

I'm a fan of the TLR cases, myself -- they keep the camera protected. Some are better designed than others, to be sure.

Old 06-03-2014   #9
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi,

Museums, bookbinders and libraries of old books use some special stuff to get the leather back into condition, a bit like shoe polish in application. I suggest a few phone calls will trace it. Or ask when you get the strap replaced.

Regards, David