Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > 120 / 220 film RF's

120 / 220 film RF's 120 / 220 format rangefinders including Fuji, Koni-Omega, Mamiya Press, Linhof 6x7/6x9 cameras, Mamiya 6/7 among others, but excluding the 120 folders and the Voigtlander 667 cameras that have their own forums.

Repair Service For My Linhof 220
Old 07-25-2013   #1
d.keljikian

Repair Service For My Linhof 220

Hello All,

I have a Linhof 220 that has a slight vertical misalignment in the rangefinder as well as needing the frame spacing serviced (I often lose part of the first frame when leader is properly set, or part of the final frame when I advance a bit past the proper mark).

I always load and unload the insert with the camera's shutter cocked and with the film tensioned (no loose leader). I am also gentle and deliberate with the advance mechanism (never let the advance lever spring back freely on its own). These can be the potential causes for transport problems.

This week I took the camera to Nippon here in NYC where I live and they declined to work on either problem ("too complicated").
I love this camera and would appreciate your help in finding quality service for this wonderful tool.

Thanks in advance.

Doug

Old 07-25-2013   #2
x-ray

Great camera. I used one in the mid 70's.

Contac HP marketing. They're the distributor in the US and can direct you to the Linhof repair service. I understand Martin who was the repair person at Marflex ( Linhof service ) just died. I seem to remember HP is shipping repairs to Germany at the moment.

When I owned Rollei SL66's I sent them to Koh Camera. There's it much more complicated than an SL66 but they always came through with the fix.

Old 07-25-2013   #3
Crazy Fedya

Jimmy Koh is in Bellmore on Long Island. He is factory trained Rollei technician.

http://kohscamera.com/

Old 07-25-2013   #4
Oren Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray View Post
Contac HP marketing. They're the distributor in the US and can direct you to the Linhof repair service. I understand Martin who was the repair person at Marflex ( Linhof service ) just died. I seem to remember HP is shipping repairs to Germany at the moment.
What HP will tell you is that Nippon Photo Clinic is the new authorized repair center for Linhof in the US, taking over from the late Martin Arndt (Marflex). Since they're evidently not interested, you might try Bob Watkins. He'll shortly be going to the Linhof factory to be trained in cutting cams, but more generally is an excellent technician with lots of experience with medium and large format cameras.

EDIT: Here's the link for Bob's shop:

http://www.precisioncameraworks.com/

Old 07-25-2013   #5
x-ray

I think Jimmy was connected with Bronica service at one time. He has a camera shop and repair service too. I've had him do major work on both Sl'66 bodies, Leica and Hasselblad. I'd trust Jimmy with a 220 if I had one. Having a great de of experience using the 220 I can't imagine it's anywhere near as complex as the SL66.

Contact Linhof in Germany and send it over yourself. You know they know how to fix it.

Old 07-26-2013   #6
d.keljikian

Thank you very much everyone. Since neither Linhof (Germany) nor Nippon (NYC) will service this camera anymore, and KOH no longer does any repair work, I will contact Mr. Watkins today and let you know if I've found my fix.

I do not post much on this or any forum but I visit RFF daily. I never cease to be amazed by the range and depth of knowledge in this warm and spirited community.

Best,
Doug

Old 08-10-2013   #7
kram

Off topic slightly, how heavy is the linhof 220, more than 2kg?

Old 04-13-2017   #8
GarageBoy

Anyone have any luck?