Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 06-12-2019   #81
richardHaw
junk scavenger

i never tape logos and i sometimes find it pretentious like the thread starter...

BUT

growing up in the ghettos and having criminals as childhood friends. taping is a wise thing to do if you dont want to attract criminals. crims dont know much about cameras and models usually but they do know about brands and logos.

on the other hand, any desperate scum will steal your gear regardless of brand.

having said that, it will depend on the area youre shooting in. people in some places just walk by but people in some places will give comments about your camera which is unwelcome in most cases and may lead to theft in worst cases or unwanted chitchat or attention at best.

will i tape my camera? maybe, but not at this moment.
http://www.richardhaw.com

Old 06-12-2019   #82
David Hughes
David Hughes

Talking of tea leaves half inching cameras*; you often see them on ebay with only a strap and lens cap but seldom any instructions. I guess a lot were like that when stolen, otherwise where's the instructions and why the half used film or media card in it?

Regards, David

*(Cultural Note) that is pure Cockney...

Old 06-12-2019   #83
Axel

There was a time where "clean" serialnumbers of Leicas were rare subjects.
So I taped mine on the M6 because I did not want to find it anywhere in the web as an argument in a sellers description.
Indeed reasons for taping can be very different.

Old 06-12-2019   #84
Mark A. Fisher

In times past I shot a LOT of Holgas, Dianas, Pringles cans, anything that could possibly hold film and occasionally make an image.

Tape ‘em? You betcha!! It wasn't an issue of logo. I was just keeping (most) light leaks at bay, and the things from falling apart in my hands...

Old 06-12-2019   #85
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark A. Fisher View Post
In times past I shot a LOT of Holgas, Dianas, Pringles cans, anything that could possibly hold film and occasionally make an image.

Tape ‘em? You betcha!! It wasn't an issue of logo. I was just keeping (most) light leaks at bay, and the things from falling apart in my hands...

Indeed! My Zorki became a model citizen and excellent shooter once I started taping all around the joints where the camera back and body meet.

Old 06-12-2019   #86
jawarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel100 View Post
So I taped mine on the M6 because I did not want to find it anywhere in the web as an argument in a sellers description.
I'm not sure what this means. Are you saying you taped over your serial number so a thief couldn't look over your shoulder and make note of it for an eBay description? Wouldn't the serial number be easy for the purchaser to check? Or is this about sharing pictures of your camera online?

Old 06-12-2019   #87
MrFujicaman

Only thing I tape is under the strap lugs to protect the finish.

Old 06-12-2019   #88
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
I always tape my cameras. But not for stealth or security - I don't believe for one moment blacking out the logo makes you invisible, or that thieves are so discerning as to turn down an opportunity to nick any camera...

However, I refuse to be a walking billboard and provide free advertising! I generally remove logos I consider too prominent from anything I own.

My Sony A7R II:

If I saw that being carried around, I would so want to steal that prototype Sony limited Skull Island edition.

Old 06-12-2019   #89
Axel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawarden View Post
I'm not sure what this means. Are you saying you taped over your serial number so a thief couldn't look over your shoulder and make note of it for an eBay description? Wouldn't the serial number be easy for the purchaser to check? Or is this about sharing pictures of your camera online?
Both. But the process of decision was short. Maybe? Tape it.

Old 06-12-2019   #90
RichC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
If I saw that being carried around, I would so want to steal that prototype Sony limited Skull Island edition.
Damn - I'm going to have to be so furtive now you've let the cat out of the back...!

-=Rich=-

Portfolio: www.richcutler.co.uk

Old 06-12-2019   #91
Lewis Francis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapevision View Post
pretty sure this is to prevent having to pay royalties to those companies featured
Huh, really? What law(s) would allow brands to charge royalties for film/photo uses?

Old 06-12-2019   #92
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Francis View Post
Huh, really? What law(s) would allow brands to charge royalties for film/photo uses?

It can be argued to be a trademark issue. Kind of like how Union Pacific makes companies pay them a royalty if they produced a model train with "Union Pacific" printed on it.

More likely it has to do with studios not wanting to give out free advertising if they can help it, and rules about product placement in media.

Old 06-13-2019   #93
David Hughes
David Hughes

One or two advantages to untaped logos come to mind; firstly chatting with other film users and the networking that it leads to like where to buy film and labs that are still open etc. Then there's the free old film cameras people give you. And lastly, you learn how to pronounce "Leica" in other countries; I never realised it sounded like "Leaker" until a while ago...

Regards, David

Old 06-13-2019   #94
konicaman
konicaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wijninga View Post
...and of course, the diehards of camouflage carry their taped-up camera in a diaper bag...

Talking bags/cases a bit of camouflage is not that bad. A good friend of mine for many years drove around with his camera bags fully visible in his car with no trouble at all. They consisted of 2 wooden suitcases spraypainted (military style) with the words Decoration materials I and II. In one of the cases he kept his Hasselblads and in the other 3-4 M houses and a handful of lenses. Nobody took a second look at those cases

Don't think he ever taped over the logos though...

Min danske webshop med notesbøger, fyldepenne og blæk

Old 06-13-2019   #95
Out to Lunch

Leaker? In which country would that be -I'd like to know so I can make sure I'll never go there.

Old 06-13-2019   #96
css9450

Quote:
Leaker? In which country would that be -I'd like to know so I can make sure I'll never go there.

I'm not sure its a pronunciation issue at all... Could be just a disgruntled photographer fed up with light leaks!

Old 06-13-2019   #97
back alley
IMAGES

i have heard it pronounced leeka before.

Old 06-13-2019   #98
Out to Lunch

Perhaps the 'ei' combination is uncommon...then again, the whole world knows how to order a Heineken.

Old 06-13-2019   #99
dourbalistar

I think Mike Padua over at Shoot Film Co. has it right:

flickr

Old 06-13-2019   #100
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

So is it pronounced "lay-kah" in Hawaii?
Phil Forrest

Old 06-15-2019   #101
JoeLopez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takkun View Post
I was down in Portland for a gallery reception this weekend, and while I didn’t get a lot of shooting in, I did meet a lot of artists and photographers and had some valuable conversations.

One such gentleman, whom I ran into on the sidelines of a parade, was absolutely floored I didn’t have my cameras wrapped in electrical tape, unlike his...well, whatever was under all those layers.

(He also had a lot of other strange comments I didn’t quite agree with, but that’s for another thread!)

I’ve always found the taping-over-the-logo thing a bit pretentious, as if one is just back from some war-torn country. I don’t know what I find more irksome, the giant new SLR with vertical grip, or the humble beater camera. The former seems comically insignificant, and the latter a bit pointless.

I never really felt like it was an issue anywhere I’ve traveled, at least in the US, to cover up the logo either for security or stealthiness. Either people notice you have a camera or they don’t, and the only people that pay attention to a logo are...other photographers.
Over the years I’ve lived and visited some colorful neighborhoods and feel like I have a good feel of when not to have a camera out, and it seems logical that if you’re going to get pickpocketed or ripped off, your average criminal isn’t looking for brand names on first sight.

But I do see the appeal of the Leica P models with a little more subdued styling, and the affinity for black paint cameras.

How popular is this practice here, and what’s your reasoning?
Why do people care so much? Honestly.

Other gear: Minolta X-570, Nikon F3/T, N90 & D7100, Fuji X100T
Nikkor 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8 E, Voigtlander 40mm f/2.0 Ultron SL, Minolta 45mm f2 & 50mm f1.7

My Flickr | My ebay | Instagram

Old 06-15-2019   #102
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dourbalistar View Post
I think Mike Padua over at Shoot Film Co. has it right:

$10 for a pin? The irony of making fun of Leica, while charging a Leica price for that.

Old 06-15-2019   #103
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
$10 for a pin? The irony of making fun of Leica, while charging a Leica price for that.
First time I've heard $10 described as 'Leica price'

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 06-15-2019   #104
semi-ambivalent
Little to say

Quote:
...and of course, the diehards of camouflage carry their taped-up camera in a diaper bag...

On the other hand I have used my Domke f-5XB as a diaper bag, and it made a damn good one too.

Old 06-15-2019   #105
semi-ambivalent
Little to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel100 View Post
In the EU you also don't want a call from the police saying your recently ebay-purchased M2 had been stolen from a Frenchman in Venice and that you'll have to surrender it. The internet and its forums have changed the game.

Old 06-15-2019   #106
dourbalistar

Quote:
I bought a few for some friends, and they are nicer than I expected. I don't mind paying $10 to support a small business that promotes film photography. And unlike Leica, he often runs promotions and sales.

Of course, If you want a real Leica pin at a Leica price, that'll cost you €15.83 (excluding VAT, plus shipping). At that price, you don't even get a red dot.

flickr

Old 06-15-2019   #107
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dourbalistar View Post
I bought a few for some friends, and they are nicer than I expected. I don't mind paying $10 to support a small business that promotes film photography. And unlike Leica, he often runs promotions and sales.

Of course, If you want a real Leica pin at a Leica price, that'll cost you €15.83 (excluding VAT, plus shipping). At that price, you don't even get a red dot.

Leica was a small business that promoted film photography.

I do it.
Old 06-15-2019   #108
vladimir
vladimir

I do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanskDynamit View Post
I don't do it, I don't care if others do it.
I do it, , I don’t care if others don’t do it.

Old 06-16-2019   #109
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardHaw View Post
i never tape logos and i sometimes find it pretentious like the thread starter...

BUT

growing up in the ghettos and having criminals as childhood friends. taping is a wise thing to do if you dont want to attract criminals. crims dont know much about cameras and models usually but they do know about brands and logos.

on the other hand, any desperate scum will steal your gear regardless of brand.

having said that, it will depend on the area youre shooting in. people in some places just walk by but people in some places will give comments about your camera which is unwelcome in most cases and may lead to theft in worst cases or unwanted chitchat or attention at best.

will i tape my camera? maybe, but not at this moment.
This makes perfect sense and is helpful.