Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Old 03-09-2019   #81
Swift1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
The optical construction of the M28/f3.5 (6 elements/6 groups) is different to both versions of the Takumar 28/f3.5 (7 elements/6 groups). The Taks are also much bigger lenses (58mm filter vs 49mm). None of these have a particularly good reputation (by Pentax standards), but I can't comment on image quality as I haven't used them.
Only the very first version of the Takumar 28/3.5 is the 7/6 formula with 58mm filter thread.
The 2nd version Super-Takumar and the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar version are both 7/7 with 49mm filter thread.

In my experience, the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 28/3.5 is an excellent lens.

Untitled by Colton Allen, on Flickr
Asahi Pentax SV
S-M-C Takumar 28/3.5
Kodak Ektar 100
Nikon Coolscan V ED

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website

Old 03-09-2019   #82
Russell W. Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift1 View Post
'...and the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar version are both 7/7 with 49mm filter thread.'
That's the one I have, complete with matching rectangular lens-hood. I'll have a play out with it tomorrow and (hopefully) finish the film, then I'll judge for myself.

Old 03-09-2019   #83
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift1 View Post
Only the very first version of the Takumar 28/3.5 is the 7/6 formula with 58mm filter thread.
The 2nd version Super-Takumar and the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar version are both 7/7 with 49mm filter thread.
My mistake, misread the spec sheet. Was looking at the 'late' version of the first version.

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 03-09-2019   #84
Huss

Quote:

The K28/f3.5, which came between the Taks and M and has a stellar reputation (one of the highest rated lenses on Pentax Forums) has a different construction again - 8 elements/7 groups. To be honest, I'm curious why they went to so much effort with this lens... These can still be found quite cheap.
It's funny how we are conditioned with pricing. The 'mint' SMC 28 3.5 was on the high side at $100. And yet 'we' are ok with Leica M 28 2.8 coming in at $2500 +_!

Old 03-09-2019   #85
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
It's funny how we are conditioned with pricing. The 'mint' SMC 28 3.5 was on the high side at $100. And yet 'we' are ok with Leica M 28 2.8 coming in at $2500 +_!
I've been pondering this quite a bit lately. I have very clean examples of some of the best Pentax manual lenses (M28/f2, K50/f1.2, K85/f1.8 and K135/f2.5) and none of them were over $300 (some quite a bit cheaper). Yet I consider all of them 'expensive' lenses, while I still think of my clean 90mm Tele Elmarit as a 'bargain' at $600...

Old 03-09-2019   #86
Huss

Yeah Nick, here I was nickel and dime-ing the purchase of a SMC 28mm, whereas just a lens hood for my ZM Cosina Zeiss 35 1.4 is at least two to three times as much. Just for a lens hood.

Pentax K lenses resources
Old 03-10-2019   #87
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Pentax K lenses resources

Specs here:
http://kmp.pentaxians.eu/lenses/

Some user reviews here:
http://stans-photography.info/BriefComments.html

Chris

Old 03-12-2019   #88
dourbalistar

There's a SMC Asahi Pentax-M 28/3.5 for sale on Photrio's classifieds. No affiliation with the seller:
https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...e-lens.166124/

flickr

Old 03-14-2019   #89
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dourbalistar View Post
There's a SMC Asahi Pentax-M 28/3.5 for sale on Photrio's classifieds.
Not anymore.

Chris

Old 03-14-2019   #90
nickthetasmaniac

Surveyors Hut, Tasman National Park

MX, SMC-M 28/f2 and Portra400

Old 03-14-2019   #91
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPlatt View Post
Not anymore.

Chris
Good timing, I guess.

flickr

Old 03-15-2019   #92
zuikologist

Wow. Beautiful colour.

Quote:

Old 04-04-2019   #93
Huss

Quote:

Love it. Nice work.

Old 04-05-2019   #94
nickthetasmaniac

K50/f1.4 and Tmax100

K50/f1.2 and Tmax100

Old 04-05-2019   #95
Huss

Nice! Can you show a top view of the MX so I can see how big the 50 1.2 is on it?

Old 04-05-2019   #96
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Nice! Can you show a top view of the MX so I can see how big the 50 1.2 is on it?
I don't have one on file sorry. I'll try and put one up when I get off work next week.

There's this shot I posted earlier, but it definitely makes the 50/f1.2 seem larger than it actually is...

Old 04-05-2019   #97
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I had both Pentax MX and Olympus OM-1/OM-2 cameras. The MX is very slightly smaller; the Olympus felt better in my hands. Both were excellent cameras.

But honestly, in this camera class, I prefer the Nikon FM2n. And my current small mechanical SLR, the Leica R6.2, is not much larger than the FX if at all, and has the best lenses.

G

Old 04-05-2019   #98
Archiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPlatt View Post
Not anymore.

Chris

Oh nice! Feel free to post some pics when you choose!

Old 04-05-2019   #99
Archiver

Quote:
I've been pondering this quite a bit lately. I have very clean examples of some of the best Pentax manual lenses (M28/f2, K50/f1.2, K85/f1.8 and K135/f2.5) and none of them were over $300 (some quite a bit cheaper). Yet I consider all of them 'expensive' lenses, while I still think of my clean 90mm Tele Elmarit as a 'bargain' at $600...

The question is, how do these lenses compare with their Leica counterparts? Sure, Leica is expensive and we just accept it, but how much better are they? I haven't shot enough with Pentax K lenses to know.

Old 04-05-2019   #100
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiver View Post
The question is, how do these lenses compare with their Leica counterparts? Sure, Leica is expensive and we just accept it, but how much better are they? I haven't shot enough with Pentax K lenses to know.
I honestly haven't shot with enough that are directly comparable to say.

On film I'd say the K85/f1.8 is a better lens than the TE 90/f2.8, but that's based on general 'feel', rather than a direct, side-by-side comparison.

I'll soon be getting my Super-Tak 55/f1.8 back from service and will try and do a bit of a comparison with my 5cm Cron Collapsible. These two are of similar speed and vintage, so it will be interesting to see how they perform.

A bit OT (and not Leica), but a well known bit of Pentax folklore is that the original Super-Takumar 50/f1.4 '8 element' was an all-in, sold-at-a-loss effort to outperform the Zeiss 50mm Planar. My understanding is that they were successful, before quietly switching to a cheaper 7 element design.

Old 04-05-2019   #101
CMur12

Quote:
A bit OT (and not Leica), but a well known bit of Pentax folklore is that the original Super-Takumar 50/f1.4 '8 element' was an all-in, sold-at-a-loss effort to outperform the Zeiss 50mm Planar. My understanding is that they were successful, before quietly switching to a cheaper 7 element design.

My understanding is that the 7-element 50mm lens that succeeded the 8-element version was made with special (radioactive; thorium?) glass, which Pentax probably felt offered the same performance with one less element. I'm pretty sure the radioactive glass cost more than the more common glass. I don't see it as Pentax lowering their standards.

- Murray

Old 04-05-2019   #102
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMur12 View Post
My understanding is that the 7-element 50mm lens that succeeded the 8-element version was made with special (radioactive; thorium?) glass, which Pentax probably felt offered the same performance with one less element. I'm pretty sure the radioactive glass cost more than the more common glass. I don't see it as Pentax lowering their standards.

- Murray
I'm far from an expert on this (hopefully others will offer their take...) but my reading is that the cost associated with the 8 element wasn't just that it had one more piece of glass, but rather than it had a cememted triplet that was very expensive to manufacture. Every bit of info I've come across agrees that the 7 element was more affordable to produce*.

I don't know the relative cost of thorium vs regular glass, but given that Pentax also used thorium in their cheaper 'kit lens' 55/f1.8, I can't imagine the difference is significant.

*Having said all that, none of the comparisons I've seen between the Super-Tak 7 and 8 elements suggest a notable difference in image quality.

Old 04-06-2019   #103
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
I had both Pentax MX and Olympus OM-1/OM-2 cameras. The MX is very slightly smaller; the Olympus felt better in my hands. Both were excellent cameras.

But honestly, in this camera class, I prefer the Nikon FM2n. And my current small mechanical SLR, the Leica R6.2, is not much larger than the FX if at all, and has the best lenses.

G
I have the FM2n and, well, yes it is 'better' than my MX. But it is also bigger, and to be honest I always wanted to try an MX and Shawn happened to be selling one!
I am delighted with both of these cameras, but really surprised by the quality of the Pentax K SMC lenses.
I think my R-Es are the same size as the R6.2? These cameras feel built to an entirely different level than the MX, and quite frankly the FM2. My R7 is a bit bigger (taller) than the R6/R-E. Of course the R8/9 are huge in comparison.

But still, the MX is such a joy to use. And adding the ButterGrip handle makes it even nicer.

Old 04-11-2019   #104
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:

Here's a comparison with the K50/f1.2 and MX 'standard' M50/f1.4. The 'M' is pretty tiny for a f1.4.

Old 04-11-2019   #105
NickTrop

I noticed a couple shooting film cameras in Rittenhouse Square in Philly this past Sunday. Young couple. The woman was shooting a Leica M5 (big!) with a pre-ASP Cron and the guy was shooting this, a Minolta MX. He said he loved it.

I also noticed a couple others shooting film cameras. In fact, there were more film SLRs there than DSLRs (which is what I was shooting) amidst the cell phones.

Old 04-11-2019   #106
Huss

Quote:
Here's a comparison with the K50/f1.2 and MX 'standard' M50/f1.4. The 'M' is pretty tiny for a f1.4.

Thanks for posting this! My Minolta 58 1.2 and Nikkor 50/55 1.2s seem to be huge in comparison.

Old 04-11-2019   #107
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTrop View Post
...the guy was shooting this, a Minolta MX. He said he loved it.

Ahem, I suspect it was a Pentax MX

Or perhaps a Minolta X-700/570?

Old 06-14-2019   #108
nickthetasmaniac

Kuala Lumpur

MX, SMC-M 28/f2 and Tmax400

Old 06-15-2019   #109
Uncle Bill

Location: Oakville (somewhere west of Toronto) Ontario, Canada
Pentax MX, SMC Pentax M 50 f1.7 lens.
Film: Kodak Portra 400

Shot along Highway 35 in the Haliburtons, 2.5 hours northeast of Toronto On.

Reflected Pines by Bill Smith, on Flickr

Reflected Haliburton by Bill Smith, on Flickr

Reflected Haliburton Two by Bill Smith, on Flickr

Old 06-15-2019   #110
Uncle Bill

Location: Oakville (somewhere west of Toronto) Ontario, Canada
Shot in the Kawarthas northeast of Toronto a few years back

Pentax MX, SMC Pentax K 50 f1.7 lens.
Kodak Portra 400

Old Snow Blower II by Bill Smith, on Flickr

Old 06-24-2019   #111
nickthetasmaniac

Pentax MX (black paint), SMC-K 85/f1.8 and Tmax100

Kettering

Southern Highlands

Old 06-24-2019   #112
Huss

Lovely T-MAX images.

Old 06-24-2019   #113
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Lovely T-MAX images.

Thanks Huss, I really like Tmax100.

Old 06-24-2019   #114
Doug

Pentax MX, 2.8/24mm SMCP, Fuji HQ Super 200

Old 06-24-2019   #115
Doug

Pentax MX, 1.4/50mm SMCP, Kodak BW400CN

Old 06-24-2019   #116
Huss

Nice pics Doug. I especially like the pop in the BW400 one. I like that film - forces you into looking at things from a B&W perspective, but pretty much any place can develop it as it is C41. (my local shop has to send out 'real' B&W to their main shop)

Old 06-25-2019   #117
Doug

Thanks, Huss, it does seem to have good tonal contrasts... And unlike the Ilford (and Fuji) chromogenics, this Kodak has the usual C41 salmon-color film base.

Old 06-25-2019   #118
twvancamp
Thom

Pentax MX; 45/2.8

Pentax MX
by twvancamp, on Flickr

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #119
GarageBoy

How reliable are these? I've heard stories about the meters dying irreparably?

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #120
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post
How reliable are these? I've heard stories about the meters dying irreparably?
I've had three and they've all been very reliable. At the end of the day it's a relatively simple mechanical SLR with a cloth focal plane shutter. Not a lot to go wrong...

I haven't had meter issues, but obviously these meters are potentially 40 years old, so I would expect them to die at some point. Of course, the MX is fully mechanical, so it will continue to function perfectly with a dead meter.

Mechanically, I haven't had any issues.

Cosmetically, the metal shell is thinner on the MX than on the earlier 'K' series Pentax's, and you often see them with dented prism housings.