Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M10, 240 family, M-P, M60

View Poll Results: M240 at current market value
A safe bet. Buy it! 43 62.32%
It's about the same as any other digital camera. 17 24.64%
A money pit. Do not buy! 9 13.04%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2019   #81
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post
Great deal on a Silver MP240 at Leica Miami right now: https://leicastoremiami.com/collecti...14290502025260
No kidding. $3k for a sweet condition MP 240 w/ spare battery? Done.

Old 03-30-2019   #82
jja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
No kidding. $3k for a sweet condition MP 240 w/ spare battery? Done.
I ordered one this morning. Will report back when it arrives and I've had a chance to use it. Looks like there are two still left.

My RFF Gallery

Old 04-01-2019   #83
JCT

Please do post once you check it out, been looking for a nice M-P 240..

JT

Old 04-04-2019   #84
ktmrider

I have a mint MP240 I purchased about 15 months ago from Classic Connection. I was talking to Tamarkin and they say that the introduction of the Q2 has really caused a price drop in all Leica M digital. I am very happy with the MP240 over the M9 but have absolutely no desire to spend the money on an M10. And I am finding out how good my new X100F is but I would sure buy an MP240 at those prices if I did not own one.

Old 04-04-2019   #85
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
I have a mint MP240 I purchased about 15 months ago from Classic Connection. I was talking to Tamarkin and they say that the introduction of the Q2 has really caused a price drop in all Leica M digital. I am very happy with the MP240 over the M9 but have absolutely no desire to spend the money on an M10. And I am finding out how good my new X100F is but I would sure buy an MP240 at those prices if I did not own one.
M240 prices lowered before Q2.
Q2 has really nothing to do with M. It is expensive P&S with EVF, one from many, not RF.

They, at Tamarkin, were talking about their new excuse for low bail on trade ins for digital M. Their store prices shows no price drop on digital M.
In fact, I purchased and sold for less same digital M two years ago, comparing to their current listing.

Old 04-04-2019   #86
Huss

Yeah I don't buy the Tamarkin story. A Q2 is nothing like an M, and I still think it's funny that the crop formats are sold as a feature. Cuz it's impossible to crop images from any other camera, ever made, in the history of photography.
Here's how you do the same thing with an M4, M5, M6, M10, M240, M9 etc etc. Frame your subject say with your 28mm lens on it. Then with your left finger move the frame selector lever to whatever freakin frame line you want to come up. That will give you an idea as to how that 'focal length' would look. And guess what? Those cameras have more frame/crop lines than what the Q2 offers!
But I digress.

Old 04-05-2019   #87
jja

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCT View Post
Please do post once you check it out, been looking for a nice M-P 240..

JT
My M-P 240 arrived last night, and I've had a chance to do some initial testing. It was described as excellent and I can confirm that it is as described. A few bright marks on the top, common in the chrome finish, are the only evidence I can find that this is a used camera.

The camera operates well, the rangefinder is accurate with my 50/1.4, and the batteries seem fine (have not done extensive testing yet). Inside, the shutter looks pristine, everything seems in order. It's safe to say that unless I find something unexpected in the next week or so (2 week return policy), this camera is a keeper.

The camera came with its original accessories, original box and and all packaging. The signed inspection card states that this camera was manufactured in April 2016.

This is my first digital Leica, after shooting with Leica Ms for the last fifteen years. For a used digital camera, it's still expensive, but it's almost as capable as an M10, at less than half the cost of new. I'm really looking forward to being able to use my M lenses with either film or digital bodies that share almost the exact same ergonomic characteristics and rangefinder optics.

My RFF Gallery

Old 04-05-2019   #88
bayernfan

Glad to hear you're pleased with the new camera. Please share your impressions of it once you've done some serious shooting.

I've also been shooting film M cameras for many years, so I'm eager to hear what you think of the 240 compared to the film M experience.

Old 04-06-2019   #89
Huss

The rf in my M240 has never drifted, while in my film Ms they seem to wander after a period of time/use. So it seems that Leica has that dialed down now.

Old 04-09-2019   #90
Mjd-djm

This thread is giving me GAS. I think I may have to order one tomorrow!

Old 04-10-2019   #91
JCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jja View Post
My M-P 240 arrived last night, and I've had a chance to do some initial testing. It was described as excellent and I can confirm that it is as described. A few bright marks on the top, common in the chrome finish, are the only evidence I can find that this is a used camera.
So I went for one as well - and my experience so far is identical; mine is a few months older, but looks and operates great. While waiting for my modern 35mm f2 Summicron ASPH to arrive I had some fun with my dadís old Summaron 35mm f2.8 - ďeyesĒ and all!

Speaking of eyes, sure wish my vision was better , but hell, I have the same problem with my target shooting, so practice will make perfect.

My husband caught me sort of chuckling to myself as I was using the camera for the first time and commented on it. I think it had to do with using an RF camera that felt amazingly like my dadís M3 with those old goggle eyes and seeing the pic instantly. Probably how folks felt when they first saw a Polaroid... will be lots of fun. Planning on a 50mm Lux at some point, thatís the focal length I grew up with on the Leica.

Thanks for the heads-up and encouragement, all. Oh, and Josh at Miami Leica was a pleasure to deal with.

JT

Old 04-10-2019   #92
Ccoppola82

The more I use mine, the more I love it. The files are incredibly pliable in post and the BW jpgs are actually quite good. I haven’t used the vivid jpg, but in a pinch for quick sharing, the smooth film mode is decent. A little too much shadow loss for me, but for fast grab and shares on IG or FB of family stuff, the Toshiba FlashAir gets them to me wirelessly and it works.

Instagram
Coppola_Art

Old 04-10-2019   #93
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccoppola82 View Post
The more I use mine, the more I love it. The files are incredibly pliable in post and the BW jpgs are actually quite good. I havenít used the vivid jpg, but in a pinch for quick sharing, the smooth film mode is decent. A little too much shadow loss for me, but for fast grab and shares on IG or FB of family stuff, the Toshiba FlashAir gets them to me wirelessly and it works.
Iím not sure Iíd describe the files as incredibly pliable. Maybe compared to an M8 but cameras like the Sony A7II/III and Nikon D750 have sensors that are so much more recoverable that it is not even close.

Iím wondering about the respondents who picked the itís just like any other digital camera response. Because it clearly isnt. Not just because being a range finder but also because no other non Leica camera works as well with M mount lenses.

Old 04-10-2019   #94
ptpdprinter

Quote:
The rf in my M240 has never drifted, while in my film Ms they seem to wander after a period of time/use. So it seems that Leica has that dialed down now.
Good to know they have this figured out after hammering away at it since 1954.

Old 04-10-2019   #95
ktmrider

The MP240 is my current digital Leica. I have owned it about 15 months purchasing it used from Classic Connection. I have absolutely no desire to get an M10 which may be a step backward (no video). Can't get excited about the weight or thickness as I use an M5 as my present film Leica.

I think you made a good decision.

Old 04-10-2019   #96
benlees

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post

You have created laughter. A good deed for the day.

Old 04-10-2019   #97
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
Well they would be the only ones! Bessa, Xpans, Zeiss ZMs, Nikon S etc threw in the towel and quit production before they ever did!

Old 04-11-2019   #98
bayernfan

Does anyone happen to know if lenses with deep protruding rear elements can be used on the M240?

I'm wondering if the 28/2.8 Elmarit V1 I have sitting around can be mounted without issue.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica..._I_Wetzlar.JPG

Old 04-26-2019   #99
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayernfan View Post
Does anyone happen to know if lenses with deep protruding rear elements can be used on the M240?

I'm wondering if the 28/2.8 Elmarit V1 I have sitting around can be mounted without issue.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica..._I_Wetzlar.JPG
I think the Leicaís ownerís manual that you can download mentions which lenses are not ok.

Old 04-26-2019   #100
bayernfan

From the manual:

Can be used but are excluded from Classic exposure metering (see p. 180)
– Super-Angulon-M 21mm f/4
– Super-Angulon-M 21mm f/3.4
– Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8 with serial nos. before 2 314 921.

So yes, it seems like it will mount but will not meter correctly.

Old 04-30-2019   #101
bayernfan

Well, I finally found a deal too good to pass up on. A minty 240 just serviced by Leica. Looking forward to sharing some thoughts on it. Thanks everyone for the input!

Old 05-09-2019   #102
bayernfan

So far I'm enjoying it. Using a 21/35/75 trio.

Old 05-09-2019   #103
Huss

Very nice. I would pick up an Olympus EV-2 finder used (about $100) that is really useful in lieu of an optical finder. It's a one finder fits all solution (and is very useful for focus checks).
It is identical to the 3x more expensive Leica version. The only difference is the name on the front.

Old 05-09-2019   #104
bayernfan

Quote:
Very nice. I would pick up an Olympus EV-2 finder used (about $100) that is really useful in lieu of an optical finder. It's a one finder fits all solution (and is very useful for focus checks).
It is identical to the 3x more expensive Leica version. The only difference is the name on the front.
Thanks for the tip. I may consider it down the road, but I vastly prefer the optical VF experience (internal or external).

A lot to wrap ones head around in terms of setup: menus, ISO, lens coding, etc... but I have a feeling I'll lock in most settings and not fuss with them. I'd like it to be just like shooting an M2... which of course it can't be... but I think it'll come close.

Old 05-09-2019   #105
jja

Quote:

Looks great, and almost my setup too. After I picked up my M-P 240, I got the same Voigtlander 75/f1.8 and I think it's a lovely brick of a lens. I've been shooting family events with the 35 Asph., using the camera with live view off. I shoot in aperture priority, with the exposure compensation enabled through the wheel. Works well when I need extra exposure in tricky lighting.

I am thinking of adding a 21/f4 Voigtlander for an upcoming trip, so I'm curious how it performs on the 240.

My RFF Gallery

Old 05-09-2019   #106
shawn

Quote:

I am thinking of adding a 21/f4 Voigtlander for an upcoming trip, so I'm curious how it performs on the 240.
It is sharp but you will get some magenta color shifts on the sides. Not always but pretty frequently. CornerFix can help and if you convert to B&W it is no issue either.

Shawn

Old 05-09-2019   #107
shawn

Quote:
Very useful for focus checks for sure. But shooting with the EVF is wildly different than using an OVF. Way more shutter lag and a long blackout period after the shot. Battery life drops off a lot too.

Shawn

Old 05-09-2019   #108
bayernfan

Quote:
Looks great, and almost my setup too. After I picked up my M-P 240, I got the same Voigtlander 75/f1.8 and I think it's a lovely brick of a lens. I've been shooting family events with the 35 Asph., using the camera with live view off. I shoot in aperture priority, with the exposure compensation enabled through the wheel. Works well when I need extra exposure in tricky lighting.

I've not done a lot of shooting with the 21/4, but manually selecting the 21/2.8 asph seems to clear up a most of the color-cast. I believe it helps the vignette as well.

Old 05-09-2019   #109
drewbarb
picnic like it's 1999

Is that a threadmount Voigtlander 21mm there? How does it work on the M240?
Quote:

Last edited by drewbarb : 05-09-2019 at 19:34. Reason: Nevermind, I just saw above! Lol that'll teach me to post before I've read the whole thread...

Old 05-09-2019   #110
drewbarb
picnic like it's 1999

Quote:
I've not done a lot of shooting with the 21/4, but manually selecting the 21/2.8 asph seems to clear up a most of the color-cast. I believe it helps the vignette as well.
That'a cool to know; thanks. I love that lens on film, so knowing it can work well on digital just throws fuel onto the fire. Thanks

Old 06-12-2019   #111
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbarb View Post
That'a cool to know; thanks. I love that lens on film, so knowing it can work well on digital just throws fuel onto the fire. Thanks
It may remove the colour cast but it will not remove the smearing.