Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 06-11-2019   #41
helenhill
Chasing Shadows ... Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlees View Post
I love the GR series... but don't own any right now. And won't for the time being. Give me Fuji OVF or give me...
I noticed you sold a X100F recently. The xe3 is similar, maybe smaller, than that. Maybe try the GR for a bit more time. They are very easy in the hand; almost don't miss the VF. Almost.
Yes, giving it abit more time
Easy in the hand is so true
But I do need a VF...in the bright sun I can’t see much

Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 06-11-2019   #42
helenhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
Helen, have you tried the in-camera 35mm crop mode? And there are external VFs available 3rd party. If you like everything else about the camera, this might be an option.

I'm certain you can make wonderful images with the Ricoh, because talent trumps gear. Best of wishes from the desert southwest.

~Joe
Oh hey Joe,
Yes, love the 35 and 50 crop mode, yummy !
Love the square 1:1 too
There really is lots I love about the ricoh
I guess thats what i need to center on

Sweet of You and quite true... “Talent trumps gear” ...wisely said

Cheers & Thanks heaps !

Old 06-11-2019   #43
helenhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I have never been able to get comfortable with 28mm .. that would do it for me. Bye! lol
Too funny Keith
Though I imagineany length You shoot would be suoerb

Best & Thanks !

Old 06-11-2019   #44
helenhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
If a camera doesn't work for you, you won't use it. So you've answered your own question about that.

I have a GRII. I bought it even though it had no viewfinder and a viewfinder was something I felt was a necessity. And I've never liked the 28mm equivalent focal length either.

With the Ricoh, I got used to the handling and the focal length because it's such a handy little go-anywhere pocket camera. And the image quality is excellent--APS-C format in a P&S package. I crop the hell out of the images and they still look great to me. And I'm primarily a B&W shooter and I love the Raw files for converting to B&W. I don't do JPEGs although they looked okay to me when I tried them. I seldom do color with the GR.

In actual use, I prefer my X100S to the GRII but the X100S is not a pocket camera. I've never used the XE3 but I never particularly liked the XE2S I had. Guess I like optical viewfinders better than electronic ones. But those EVFs are pretty nice at times.
So You are a convert...the GR makes magic for You
So I should give it more time

Cheers &Thanks for the encouragement !

Old 06-11-2019   #45
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
Hi Shawn,

I played more with the various BW settings and came up with a look I love.
It’s really no OVF and 28 i am struggling with
Otherwise it is an exceptional tiny powerhouse that GRIII
The OVF thing is funny. Normally I really like an OVF but for 28mm (and people) I kind of like not having one. With an OVF I have to get a little too close, but using the LCD I can stand a couple of feet further away for the same framing.

If you haven't tried it use the Outdoor View Settings to see if you can see it better in sunlight. Also, don't wear polarized sunglasses.

Shawn

Old 06-11-2019   #46
helenhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimokita View Post
Sure we all have our prefered FLs, or film, or format, or...

I favor 50... 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH on the MP and AI-S 50mm f/1.2 on the F3P, but when I first got my MP I made a decision to try the 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M ASPH as an only lens for a couple of months... in addition to the Summilux 50 I eventually I picked up a CV15mm f/4.5 in M-Mount and the 28 became almost "normal". I still favor the 50, but on extended trips I always pack the 28.

Could I live with a 28 full time... I think so. After all I can survive with the x100t with it's dedicated 35 equiv... one of my least favorite FLs ; )

I am thinking maybe 21mm might be worth a try...

21 is so much easier for me, more natural than a 28
So you give 21 a go and I will try a tad longer with the 28

Thanks for your thoughts !

Old 06-11-2019   #47
helenhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyork View Post
The longer I live, the more I realize, all of life is just a bit of trial and error. In terms of photography, you have to get it in your hands, and use, before you know whether you like.

Doesn't sound like you found a good match.
Haha, for me as of late LOTS of trial and error.
Not a goodd match in 28 but otherwise the ricoh is really a great camera
I will try it a little longer

Thanks & Best to You !

Old 06-11-2019   #48
helenhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfingon View Post
I'd sell it Helen. I used an X100 for a while, but found the fixed lens too limiting. Grass is always greener-itis: wanting to put a different lens on it. Next jump in digital for me was a Sony A7S. Full frame and many, many lenses to try...
John Mc
Oh dear John
I so don’t want to fall down the rabbit hole with dugital gear
Did that for a decade with film gear
But I suppose all in good fun

Thanks !

Old 06-11-2019   #49
shawn

Quote:

Ricoh GW-4 and the GV-1 gives you 21mm and an OVF with both 21 and 28mm frame lines.

Shawn

Old 06-11-2019   #50
helenhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black View Post
Completely understand re the 28mm perspective. As already stated, it takes some time to get used to.
I personally have ditched an X100F in favour of the GR.
Optical viewfinders, you can add, but the GR is designed to be a "snapshot" camera (although much more capable than that). It's just a different mindset.
The 35mm crop is 16mp (the equiv to the GR II) and although I'm not sure what the 50mm equates to (8mp?), as I've stated in another thread, if Apple can use a 12mp tiny sensor from an IPhone to print billboard size ads, then I'd not be too concerned about the apparent lack of pixels - there's plenty enough ��
Also, it's subjective of course, but one of the (many) reasons I returned to the GR are its B&W jpegs.
And the macro on the GR pee pees on the X100F from a great height. With DNG Raw files and snap focus, it's just a far more flexible option, imo. Just need to get past the stigma of it being so compact, maybe (that was one of my hurdles - peer pressure and shaking off the baggage from my film shooting past (the VF thing).
Don't give up too soon, Helen. Look at its heritage!
You certainly have some good valued points and I must agree
Will stick it out a tad longer...Today I came up with some bw settings I love

Thanks for your input ...Best Wishes

Old 06-11-2019   #51
helenhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Might be a good idea to just put it in your pocket or purse when you bring your Leica. Pull it out when a situation dictates 28mm?
Yes, in fact I did that Today

Old 06-11-2019   #52
helenhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebear View Post
Do you still have a full money back guarantee?
If you and 28 aren't made for each other, get rid of it fast and don't waste any moment with the wrong camera in your hands.

Hurry up gal .
Well Klaus, of course I knew that quick tongue would be to the point.
Crazy Me and gear troubles
Thanks for the giggle !

Old 06-11-2019   #53
helenhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
Did you like the Fuji X100F? I went through the reverse of your problem about two months ago. I was looking for a backup for my MP240 for a six month trip around the world this fall and was giving a strong thought to the GR3 but lack of a viewfinder, flash and 28 vice 35 was a deal breaker. I ended up with a used X100f and picked up a used aux lens for the 28 FOV.

As others have said on this forum, life is too short not to use what you like. And your photos are outstanding so why compromise. Now I like to swap gear and could see trading you my X100F for GR3 just to be different. Let me know as I am really fickle about gear. May just leave all the digital at home and take a film Leica.
Well lets both think it over and Lucky You going on a trip round the World...Enjoy and shoot, shoot, shoot !

Old 06-11-2019   #54
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
So Kofe, am I understanding correctly
You are grooving more with the 28 than 35
Lucky You... send me some of that mojo magic please

Thank You !
Will do avec plesir!

Old 06-12-2019   #55
jsrockit

Quote:
Yes, in fact I did that Today
I did this too when I lived in NYC. It was a great winter coat camera too. I love the camera so much even though it is not a main camera for me, it is just so cool.

Old 06-12-2019   #56
Dogman

Quote:

Ricoh makes a killer 21mm equivalent conversion lens to fit the GR. I think they changed the mount or something when they went from the GRII to the GRIII so the older ones won't fit. I have one for my GRII and it really is a very good lens.

But...there's always a "but"...the size of the thing plus the mount adapter means it's not pocketable anymore. Mine doesn't get used much for that reason.

Old 06-12-2019   #57
NickTrop

I don't see how one can loathe 28mm but love 35mm. I have a WA zoom.When using the zoom I see negligible discernible difference starting at 28mm and zooming out to the lens's max of 35mm (and vice versa) that would affect anything compositionally. I usually shoot this lens at 28mm because it performs better at 28mm. Framing? Much ado about nothing.

Old 06-12-2019   #58
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTrop View Post
I don't see how one can loathe 28mm but love 35mm. I have a WA zoom.When using the zoom I see negligible discernible difference starting at 28mm and zooming out to the lens's max of 35mm (and vice versa) that would affect anything compositionally. I usually shoot this lens at 28mm because it performs better at 28mm. Framing? Much ado about nothing.
Nick, many of us who prefer to use one prime for the bulk of our photography are thrown off by switching to another focal length. Especially when I`m in situations where I am used to bringing the camera to my eye quickly and making a photo. I am so used to using a 50mm, that I know where to stand to frame my photo before I even bring the camera to my eye. This allows me to make photos very quickly with a 50mm. When I`m using a 28mm or 35mm, I have to re-adjust to have the same reaction style...it could take days. Of course, for landscape, I agree with you. However, on the street, 28, 35, 50, etc are huge differences for me and the way I make photos.

Old 06-13-2019   #59
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post

But...there's always a "but"...the size of the thing plus the mount adapter means it's not pocketable anymore. Mine doesn't get used much for that reason.
For those that haven't used it the lens w/adapter pops right on and off though so it is easy to put the lens/adapter in a coat pocket and the camera in another. Just leave the trim ring at home. The camera knows when the lens w/adapter is on so no need to menu dive and you can switch between 28 and 21mm in seconds.

Shawn

Old 06-13-2019   #60
johnnyrod
More cameras than shots

I empathise with you Helen; apart from a selection of film cameras (from which I have found I am quite happy with a fixed 50mm lens) I have an iPhone, which is wide-angle, and recently a Fuji X30 (my first decent digi), which has a sometimes-handy zoom but more importantly a VF (not optical, but you wouldn't know it). It is often a little surprise to see the rear screen light up between turning it on and putting it to my eye - I think I've shot with the screen once, and yes in bright sun it's far from easy. I can't compose a decent picture with the iPhone, even when cropping, it just seems odd. The X30 is nice, although not in the same gear-points league as the others mentioned above, but it all adds up to something that works - I guess that's what we are all looking for!

Old 06-13-2019   #61
kxl
Social Documentary

Life’s too short to be with something that you loathe...

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence.” ― Sebastiao Salgado