Rangefinder patch condition?
Old 05-30-2019   #1
ajtruhan

Rangefinder patch condition?

Is this a dim/ dirty rangefinder patch and will a cla surely fix?

Thanks

Old 05-30-2019   #2
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

You might want to check your link. I don't think it goes to a picture of a rangefinder patch.

Old 05-30-2019   #3
ajtruhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
You might want to check your link. I don't think it goes to a picture of a rangefinder patch.
How about: https://i.imgur.com/LFdGLc5_d.jpg?ma...idelity=medium

https://i.imgur.com/Npaijqz_d.jpg?ma...idelity=medium

Old 05-30-2019   #4
TenEleven

The picture you linked shows a strong rangefinder spot, but it does have indeed weak contrast. Which likely means that the main viewfinder-prism is fine, but it's hard to make any judgement beyond that.

Shine a light into the viewfinder system, from the back of the eyepiece. Look at the RF window as it "lights up". Do you see any cloudiness or dirt? In that case it likely can be cleaned. If it already looks clean, the RF prism could have desilvered or deteriorated. In which case a CLA without a replacement part will not do much.

In a nutshell it's possible that a CLA will improve things, but it's hard to say without more info. We could give you more information if you told us about the type/make of your camera.

Old 05-31-2019   #5
ajtruhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenEleven View Post
The picture you linked shows a strong rangefinder spot, but it does have indeed weak contrast. Which likely means that the main viewfinder-prism is fine, but it's hard to make any judgement beyond that.

Shine a light into the viewfinder system, from the back of the eyepiece. Look at the RF window as it "lights up". Do you see any cloudiness or dirt? In that case it likely can be cleaned. If it already looks clean, the RF prism could have desilvered or deteriorated. In which case a CLA without a replacement part will not do much.

In a nutshell it's possible that a CLA will improve things, but it's hard to say without more info. We could give you more information if you told us about the type/make of your camera.
Thanks. With a light I suppose itís dirty? Itís so subjective itís hard to know what Iím referencing it against. This is on an m5.

Old 06-08-2019   #6
ajtruhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajtruhan View Post
Thanks. With a light I suppose itís dirty? Itís so subjective itís hard to know what Iím referencing it against. This is on an m5.
Ends up it is rangefinder prism separation.