Rangefinder patch condition?
Old 05-30-2019   #1
ajtruhan
Registered User
 
ajtruhan is offline
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 109
Rangefinder patch condition?

Is this a dim/ dirty rangefinder patch and will a cla surely fix?

Thanks
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2019   #2
Rob-F
Likes Leicas
 
Rob-F's Avatar
 
Rob-F is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Show Me state
Age: 78
Posts: 5,946
You might want to check your link. I don't think it goes to a picture of a rangefinder patch.
__________________
May the light be with you.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2019   #3
ajtruhan
Registered User
 
ajtruhan is offline
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
You might want to check your link. I don't think it goes to a picture of a rangefinder patch.
How about: https://i.imgur.com/LFdGLc5_d.jpg?ma...idelity=medium

https://i.imgur.com/Npaijqz_d.jpg?ma...idelity=medium
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2019   #4
TenEleven
Registered User
 
TenEleven's Avatar
 
TenEleven is offline
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 41
The picture you linked shows a strong rangefinder spot, but it does have indeed weak contrast. Which likely means that the main viewfinder-prism is fine, but it's hard to make any judgement beyond that.

Shine a light into the viewfinder system, from the back of the eyepiece. Look at the RF window as it "lights up". Do you see any cloudiness or dirt? In that case it likely can be cleaned. If it already looks clean, the RF prism could have desilvered or deteriorated. In which case a CLA without a replacement part will not do much.

In a nutshell it's possible that a CLA will improve things, but it's hard to say without more info. We could give you more information if you told us about the type/make of your camera.
__________________
Manuel
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2019   #5
ajtruhan
Registered User
 
ajtruhan is offline
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenEleven View Post
The picture you linked shows a strong rangefinder spot, but it does have indeed weak contrast. Which likely means that the main viewfinder-prism is fine, but it's hard to make any judgement beyond that.

Shine a light into the viewfinder system, from the back of the eyepiece. Look at the RF window as it "lights up". Do you see any cloudiness or dirt? In that case it likely can be cleaned. If it already looks clean, the RF prism could have desilvered or deteriorated. In which case a CLA without a replacement part will not do much.

In a nutshell it's possible that a CLA will improve things, but it's hard to say without more info. We could give you more information if you told us about the type/make of your camera.
Thanks. With a light I suppose itís dirty? Itís so subjective itís hard to know what Iím referencing it against. This is on an m5.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2019   #6
ajtruhan
Registered User
 
ajtruhan is offline
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajtruhan View Post
Thanks. With a light I suppose itís dirty? Itís so subjective itís hard to know what Iím referencing it against. This is on an m5.
Ends up it is rangefinder prism separation.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:29.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.