m2 advance lever
Old 05-27-2019   #1
bert26

m2 advance lever

Would a black paint m2 advance lever look weird on a black chrome m6? y/n?

Old 05-27-2019   #2
Timmyjoe

I've got a black paint MP advance lever on my black chrome M6 TTL, I think it looks fine.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 05-27-2019   #3
bert26

Looks sick. It’s mint condition for $80.. hmmm. After the viewfinder upgrade, if I get an m2 lever it’ll be like an MP, ha.

Old 05-27-2019   #4
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert26 View Post
Would a black paint m2 advance lever look weird on a black chrome m6? y/n?

I think it would. Different finishes in the same colour always look a bit odd to me...

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 05-27-2019   #5
bert26

Did they even make black chrome m2s? No way in hell I’d shell out $200 for a black chrome MP lever.. the m6 advance is fine, just love how the m2 advance looks and it would be cool to make my m6 look different from the rest.. should maybe just buy film instead idk

Old 05-27-2019   #6
Mute-on

If you haven’t already, you should try an M2/3/P advance lever on a camera. It is a totally different feel and leverage from the M4/6/7. It is somewhat sharper, and a different arc for your thumb to follow. You might love it. Then again, maybe not ....

Old 05-27-2019   #7
bert26

Haven’t used one. $80 isn’t a steal, is it? Perhaps I should wait until I try one and if I like it, I’ll get one on eBay. From what I understand they’re extremely easy to put on but there is some proprietary leica tool required. I have a feeling it might be expensive and I’ll use it once..

Old 05-27-2019   #8
bayernfan

I'm having an M2/3 lever installed on my M4 while it's in for service. It's just a better feeling advance for me.

Old 05-27-2019   #9
bert26

So the only m2/m3 levers available are black paint and silver, yeah?

Old 05-27-2019   #10
brbo

Quote:
So the only m2/m3 levers available are black paint and silver, yeah?
What's wrong with the MP levers that you (well, maybe not you, but some technicians can get them from Leica) can get in any finish?

I got a new MP black chrome lever for my M6. It was 90 EUR if I remember correctly. Expensive, yes, but then again not so in Leica world. I don't notice any difference in shape when compared to M2 lever.

Old 05-27-2019   #11
ulrich.von.lich

Actually it's better to get an MP lever than an M2 lever.

The tip of the MP lever won't touch the shutter speed dial at all therefore won't damage it in time.

Old 05-28-2019   #12
Erik van Straten

I don't like the lever of the MP; in fact it is the same one as on the M7. The curve is different to fit around the large shutter dial of the M7/M6TTL.

I replaced mine with a BP lever of the M2, looks much nicer.

Erik.

Old 05-28-2019   #13
bert26

I can’t make up my mind so I’m just gonna stick w the m6 lever. Body is going in for service and DAG has an m2 lever in stock but no point in being hasty since they’re easy to find and simple to put on. In practice, the m6 lever is pretty damn solid. It looks ugly but I gotta remember that a camera is a tool and nothing more. The m2/m3 and mp levers are sexy as hell and I don’t doubt they’re a joy to use but mine works sooooo **** it.

Old 05-29-2019   #14
bert26

If a used MP lever pops up on eBay, what's the usual price? ~$100? And how much is the tool to install?

Old 05-29-2019   #15
shane_goguen

I bought a 3rd party advance lever from ebay seller granite323, I like mine lots even though the black paint flaked off quite fast.

As for the tool, Check ebay for "Leica CLA tool" you should be able to get a bag of clamp wrenches for less then $20

Old 05-30-2019   #16
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
I don't like the lever of the MP; in fact it is the same one as on the M7. The curve is different to fit around the large shutter dial of the M7/M6TTL.

I replaced mine with a BP lever of the M2, looks much nicer.

Erik.
Hi Erik, interesting comment about the MP lever. How is it the same as the lever on the M7 (which has an M4 style plastic tip)?

Also, is that the M2 lever pictured on your MP in the photo above? I just compared it with the lever on my MP and couldn't really see a difference. Where should I be looking? Nice black chrome lever retaining ring btw.

Old 05-30-2019   #17
pyeh

Jon,
After seeing Erik's post I pulled out an MP and an M2 to compare and contrast the wind levers. Erik is quite right (he is incredibly observant). The MP lever has more curve to the inside edge and a different geometry in the kink where the curve transitions to meet the thumb grip. Erik shows the M2 lever in his picture.
The interesting thing for me is that the MP lever on the MP rests against the edge of the hotshoe while the M2 lever on the M2 rests against the base of the shutter speed dial.

Old 05-30-2019   #18
jonmanjiro

Hmmm, interesting. I can see it now. Subtle but definitely a difference there. Thanks Pete.

Old 05-31-2019   #19
bert26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrich.von.lich View Post
Actually it's better to get an MP lever than an M2 lever.

The tip of the MP lever won't touch the shutter speed dial at all therefore won't damage it in time.

Wait, it'll seriously damage the shutter speed dial? I really want an m2 or MP lever. I'm already getting the anti flare upgrade and the 135, 75, and 50mm frame lines removed so I kinda wanna hot rod it out all the way. The new black chrome m3/MP levers DAG has are $178. The MINT black paint m2/m3 is $86. He said it's an MP advance lever that is flat enough to look good on a chrome m6. The curve looks like an MP and it isn't touching the shutter speed dial. I just can't tell if there is actually going to be a very noticeable contrast between the black paint and black chrome. Here's a picture from the site. This look weird? Should I hold out for a chrome one?

Screenshot 2019-05-31 23.01.32 by rob brown, on Flickr

Screenshot 2019-05-31 23.03.59 by rob brown, on Flickr

Old 05-31-2019   #20
ulrich.von.lich

Quote:
Wait, it'll seriously damage the shutter speed dial?

Don't worry, it's nothing serious. Over time the shutter speed dial will have a few smallest and barely noticeable dents where the lever rests against most often. If you go to a store and pick up any used M2 or M3 and check carefully its shutter speed dial, you can notice them.

When it comes to black chrome vs. black paint, it's purely a matter of taste. I know I would get a black chrome one.

Also, I might be one of the very few people who actually like the M6 advance lever. I find it more comfortable to use than the M2/M3 lever and the M4 lever.

Old 05-31-2019   #21
ulrich.von.lich

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post
Hi Erik, interesting comment about the MP lever. How is it the same as the lever on the M7 (which has an M4 style plastic tip)?

Some à-la-carte M7s had the MP lever, which was an option. Even some M6 TTL cameras had it (M6 Millenium for example). I think Erik's point was Leica decided to use one advance lever for both the small and the big dial.

Old 06-01-2019   #22
mcfingon
Western Australia

Quote:
Also, I might be one of the very few people who actually like the M6 advance lever. I find it more comfortable to use than the M2/M3 lever and the M4 lever.
I'm with you there, Ulrich. I am perfectly happy with my standard plastic-tipped swivel M6 lever after using the monolithic M3 and M2 levers for some years.
John Mc

Old 06-01-2019   #23
Erik van Straten

Quote:
I think Erik's point was Leica decided to use one advance lever for both the small and the big dial.

Yes, indeed. My MP is a very early one.

My M2-lever does not touch the speed dial of the MP when in rest. It just touches the corner of the accessory-shoe.

The ring around the release button on my MP is not black chrome, but also black paint. I made the picture with my scanner, therefore the ring around the release button looks like black chrome. The scanner produces weird light. I did not like the bling bling bright chrome ring around the release button, so I replaced it with an old black paint one.

Unfortunately I could not replace the accessory shoe of the MP with a black paint one. This type of shoe does not exist in black paint as far as I know. However, I like the small brass black painted slider in the accessory shoe. These can be had on eBay for next to nothing.

Jon, as far as I know, the M7 and the MP had the same levers.

Erik.

Just for fun my other black paint M2.

Old 06-01-2019   #24
bert26

Man, the m2 lever is so much nicer looking than the MP lever. Or maybe it’s just because it’s on an m2. I wish I could see a side by side comparison of an m6 classic with an mp lever and one with an m2 lever. Perhaps they’ll look similar on an m6. It’s hard to judge when looking at an m2 lever on an MP/m2 and an MP lever on an m6.

Old 06-01-2019   #25
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
As far as I know, the M7 and the MP had the same levers.
Erik, FYI the standard lever on the M7 (as apposed to the ala carte MP style lever option with curve to clear the larger shutter speed dial) is as below (photo found on KR's website here).

Old 06-01-2019   #26
Erik van Straten

Hmmm, Jon, I thought this was the lever of the M6TTL, but it can be a very early M7; the serial number is from before the MP.

I am sure that at times of the á la carte program the levers of the MP and M7 were the same.

Erik.

Old 06-01-2019   #27
jonmanjiro

I can't find a picture to post just now, but my (now sold) standard M7 0.72 with 329xxxx s/n also had the same advance lever as the one pictured above. I'd say that 99% of the M7s I've seen "in the flesh" have had the same lever, too. Though of course with the ala carte program you could choose which lever you wanted - MP style or M6TTL/M7 style.

Edit: here's some nice pics of an M7 titanium set. Same plastic tipped lever.

http://9gazine.9days.hk/post/leica-m7-titanium-43/

Old 06-01-2019   #28
Erik van Straten

Well, maybe I'm wrong, getting old, but why was the lever of the MP given this ugly form? That was because the M6TTL had this huge speed knob. Also the M6TTL and the M7 were higher built than the MP. The M6TTL and the M7 must have been Heinrich Janckes nightmares if he were still among the living.

In any case the M6TTL that was given to Václav Havel in 2000 (serial number 2 500 000) already had the MP-lever.

Erik.

Old 06-01-2019   #29
jonmanjiro

The M6 TTL Millennium sets do as well, together with an M2/3 style rewind - all the parts already in the works for the release of the new MP in 2003.

>why was the lever of the MP given this ugly form?

To give you a reason to swap yours out for an M2 lever!!

Old 06-01-2019   #30
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post

>why was the lever of the MP given this ugly form?

To give you a reason to swap yours out for an M2 lever!!

I didn't know that. I'll contact Leica for that.

Erik.

Old 06-01-2019   #31
bert26

I decided I’m not doing a BP lever. It’s for aesthetics and I swear my m6 lives around my neck, so I’m not leaving it on a bookshelf to simply admire, but hey, I want my setup to look sick. Looking through pictures of the m6 with an m2/MP lever, there seems to be quite the gap between the shutter dial and the lever which bugs me because I like the cluster the stock lever provides on the M6. And at least now I know that since I’d want chrome, that rules out the m2 lever and I’d look for an MP (if I changed my mind about the gap.) Personally I can’t justify $200 for it though. Most I’d pay is like $80-$100 for a used one once an inevitable deal pops up on eBay down the road (if deciding to get one.)

Old 06-01-2019   #32
Mute-on

I have both (on M4 and M2/MP). Quite honestly, as much as I love the mechanical look of the M2/MP lever, the M4/M6 lever is much more comfortable in use.

In any event, you are far better off spending the $$ on film/processing/lenses/travel, and keeping your Leica externally original.

If you really want to hot rod a Leica, buy an M2/M3, and have it fully overhauled and repainted. Of course, that would also mean one less original chrome M2/M3 in existence, and they aren’t making any more of them ...

Old 06-01-2019   #33
WJJ3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute-on View Post
If you really want to hot rod a Leica, buy an M2/M3, and have it fully overhauled and repainted.
Or have M3 levers put on an M4 and have that painted 🤓

Flickr

Old 06-02-2019   #34
Mute-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJJ3 View Post
Or have M3 levers put on an M4 and have that painted 🤓
Yeah, ok. Ha ha. Good one

Old 06-02-2019   #35
Archlich

Looks like someone in China is fabricating new chrome/black paint levers...

Old 06-02-2019   #36
shane_goguen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
Looks like someone in China is fabricating new chrome/black paint levers...
I got one of those China made levers, I like it!

Old 06-02-2019   #37
Erik van Straten

The difference with the originals is immediatly clear: the original handle of the Leica has no slanting part between the top and the side.

Erik.

Old 06-02-2019   #38
bert26

I wonder how much the markup is on MP levers.

Old 06-03-2019   #39
d.dulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_goguen View Post
I got one of those China made levers, I like it!
I also had one on my M4-2, it was nice. Much better than trying to find for and pay for a genuine piece in black.