Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 05-24-2019   #161
valdas

Panda thing is not funny anymore... How about - “we are flickr and we know we suck”. Cos you really do...

Old 05-24-2019   #162
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Back to normal here now.

Old 05-24-2019   #163
valdas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Back to normal here now.
It was for a while, now Pandas are back again...

Old 05-24-2019   #164
maryland_fotos

The panda is up and down and up and down..

Old 05-24-2019   #165
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by valdas View Post
It was for a while, now Pandas are back again...
lol ... you are right!

Old 05-24-2019   #166
Steve M.

I just tried to ck out some sample photos of a lens there, and I finally gave up after the start page of flickr just froze and would not connect. Maybe it would have eventually got there but I won't put up w/ that anymore. Since I've gone to wet printing I seldom deal w/ anything but the occasional imgur upload. It's been great! Now, if a website is too aggravating, I simply stop going there. It has really reduced the aggravation. The internet and computers are aggravating enough as it is. People or companies that cause me more of it are just not visited anymore.

Old 05-24-2019   #167
dmr
Registered Abuser

Funny, I don't remember ever posting a photo of a girl with a toy panda.

Old 05-24-2019   #168
farlymac
PF McFarland

Just successfully used the Uploader, so all is right with the Desktop version.

Cool Wheels by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Now if they could get the mobile app to work again.

PF

Old 05-24-2019   #169
maigo

Mobile app (iPhone) is offline right now due to Flickr system maintenance.
Apparently there was a migration from Yahoo to AWS hosting over the past few days.
As a paying customer this would have been nice to know...

https://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en...7691537882093/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-24-2019   #170
Michael Markey

Latest news this morning :

https://status.flickr.net/incidents/...u=b94xf7v77yyx

Old 05-24-2019   #171
Lavertezzo

This morning I was able to upload 2 pictures. Adding pictures to groups and albums is working, replacing an image, changing dates and placing pictures on the map works as well. No pandas or "502 bad gateway" errors. The site is fast and snappy. I hope that's it for now and they don't touch it anymore

19.05-35 by analogish, auf Flickr

Old 05-25-2019   #172
AJShepherd

Ah, still not working for me in the UK. The uploader stalled, so I tried using the website, which also sat there for half an hour 'processing' and did nothing.
Maybe things haven't rolled out everywhere yet.

Old 05-25-2019   #173
Peter Wijninga

Yep, I think it's a regional thing. In SE Asia it's working like a charm.

Old 05-25-2019   #174
olifaunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M. View Post
I just tried to ck out some sample photos of a lens there, and I finally gave up after the start page of flickr just froze and would not connect. Maybe it would have eventually got there but I won't put up w/ that anymore. Since I've gone to wet printing I seldom deal w/ anything but the occasional imgur upload. It's been great! Now, if a website is too aggravating, I simply stop going there. It has really reduced the aggravation. The internet and computers are aggravating enough as it is. People or companies that cause me more of it are just not visited anymore.

Yes, I know they have lost a lot of people over the past year. Many of the people I follow have just dropped offline and haven't been posting in months. Maybe they have gone to Instagram.

Old 05-25-2019   #175
Peter Wijninga

You 'know' that 'they' have lost a lot of people over the past year. How many?

You also 'know' that many of the people you follow have just dropped offline and haven't been posting in months. How many?

Maybe they have gone to Instagram. Maybe not.

Try again.

Old 05-25-2019   #176
John Lawrence

Still not working for me here in the UK.

John

Old 05-25-2019   #177
Peter Wijninga

It's evening here. How many?

Old 05-25-2019   #178
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Flickr.com was messed up for about two days for me, as they did their maintenance, etc. Working fine again as of yesterday at 3pm.

G

Old 05-25-2019   #179
farlymac
PF McFarland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Markey View Post

Well, the Mobile App still isn't working, despite what they reported.

PF

Old 05-25-2019   #180
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
Well, the Mobile App still isn't working, despite what they reported.

PF
I had to clear the cache and app data and then re-login, but now it works for me. A little slower than normal, and some features (like Camera Roll) are still disabled, but I'm able to browse photos. Using the latest version of Android 9 on a Google Pixel 2.

flickr

Last edited by dourbalistar : 05-25-2019 at 20:52. Reason: add Android version number

Old 05-25-2019   #181
Larry Cloetta

Geez, everybody, they’re working on it. Am reminded of those parties of 8 that sit down at a restaurant table that hasn't been bussed yet from the prior diners and are perplexed and outraged that the silverware isn’t clean and the glasses are only half full, and start waving their hands and demanding to see the manager, while writing negative Yelp reviews on their phones.

Give it a rest. In a week or so it might likely be fine, check back then. In the meantime, go out and shoot some pix so that you’ll have something to load when they are finished working on it, which they obviously aren’t. If it’s not fine then, drop them an email with a specific question about your concerns; they do respond eventually.

In the meantime, it’s okay to complain about my Pollyanna-ish post, if that would help.

“It is about time we take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.” Elliot Erwitt

Old 05-25-2019   #182
olifaunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
Geez, everybody, they’re working on it. Am reminded of those parties of 8 that sit down at a restaurant table that hasn't been bussed yet from the prior diners and are perplexed and outraged that the silverware isn’t clean and the glasses are only half full, and start waving their hands and demanding to see the manager, while writing negative Yelp reviews on their phones.
Except you analogy breaks down completely if you look at the length of this thread and look at the dates. They have been "working on it" for many months of ever deteriorating performance, which predates even this thread by a number of more months.

Old 05-25-2019   #183
peterm1

I have just "lost" 350,000 off my view count in the stats page................I was at just under 1.8 million views, edging up to 2 million. Today the count is 1.46 million. What the hell is going on?

Old 05-25-2019   #184
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by olifaunt View Post
Except you analogy breaks down completely if you look at the length of this thread and look at the dates. They have been "working on it" for many months of ever deteriorating performance, which predates even this thread by a number of more months.
I guess I showed up uninvited to the pity party.

I have looked at the thread from its inception, and posted something about the previous area of conversation early on. There were longstanding issues with flickr prior to the new owners assuming operations. They have been endeavoring to address those, and more, from that time, and were quite upfront about the fact that addressing those issues and creating a stable, useful platform was going to take some time, and that some things would likely get worse in the process, temporarily.
The transfer, which is what people are talking about now, and which is what I was also talking about, only occurred a few days ago.

The air of doom and what seem like personal emotional wounds from textbook first world problems like “uploader is glitchy” (“l can’t take it any more!”) which a small few here have expressed about a commercial endeavor, an app, whose cost ranges from free all the way up to inexpensive, people stamping their feet because there are software glitches...oh no!...which are occurring in middle of what is probably a massive IT task, that’s what I was referring to with the analogy.

The future is unknown, I’m just personally betting Flickr will be fine once they are finished. It’s already faster, for me at least. Smugmug is pretty seamless, and they run that, so they at least know what a decent user experience looks like. Flickr was always going to be a bigger challenge, but I’d guess they’ll get there. Short of a conspiracy theory, there is no reason to think they won’t. People are free to assume they won’t, and some seem to assume just that for some reason known to them, but anxiety in the middle of a large data transfer is premature.

Seems to me anyway.

There’s always Photobucket as a good free alternative. Oh, wait.

“It is about time we take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.” Elliot Erwitt

Old 05-25-2019   #185
farlymac
PF McFarland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
I guess I showed up uninvited to the pity party.

I have looked at the thread from its inception, and posted something about the previous area of conversation early on. There were longstanding issues with flickr prior to the new owners assuming operations. They have been endeavoring to address those, and more, from that time, and were quite upfront about the fact that addressing those issues and creating a stable, useful platform was going to take some time, and that some things would likely get worse in the process, temporarily.
The transfer, which is what people are talking about now, and which is what I was also talking about, only occurred a few days ago.

The air of doom and what seem like personal emotional wounds from textbook first world problems like “uploader is glitchy” (“l can’t take it any more!”) which a small few here have expressed about a commercial endeavor, an app, whose cost ranges from free all the way up to inexpensive, people stamping their feet because there are software glitches...oh no!...which are occurring in middle of what is probably a massive IT task, that’s what I was referring to with the analogy.

The future is unknown, I’m just personally betting Flickr will be fine once they are finished. It’s already faster, for me at least. Smugmug is pretty seamless, and they run that, so they at least know what a decent user experience looks like. Flickr was always going to be a bigger challenge, but I’d guess they’ll get there. Short of a conspiracy theory, there is no reason to think they won’t. People are free to assume they won’t, and some seem to assume just that for some reason known to them, but anxiety in the middle of a large data transfer is premature.

Seems to me anyway.

There’s always Photobucket as a good free alternative. Oh, wait.

It's human nature to b***h and moan when things don't go right in the world of photography image storage services. Perhaps you don't realize some folks use Flickr to get their work to the client, or at least as a clearing house for client approval before delivery. They have every right to complain when updates take too long, they're losing money every day their images are in limbo.

For the rest of us, we've been through the fire drill many times already, and can't fathom why the same problems show up every time, like the IT team didn't look at previous iterations to see what went wrong, and failed to make plans to alleviate those issues. It's always such a shock to them that something went wrong!

And when you can't get reports from Flickr as to how the update is going, it's nice to come here to see what other peoples experiences are so one can make an educated guess as to when it will all be okay. In my experience this time, things that initially worked just fine are now buggy, so clearly the fixes are part of the root problems. It appears that it will be some time before the system settles out, once the IT folks get it in their heads that they didn't think this one through good enough.

PF

Old 05-25-2019   #186
farlymac
PF McFarland

Quote:
Originally Posted by dourbalistar View Post
I had to clear the cache and app data and then re-login, but now it works for me. A little slower than normal, and some features (like Camera Roll) are still disabled, but I'm able to browse photos. Using the latest version of Android on a Pixel 2.

I was checking it again earlier today, and after initially saying it was still down, on a second try it came up. What I'm getting now though is it shows in my Contacts Feed they have uploaded two photos, but only shows one. This does not affect anyone who posts three photos or more.

I checked the desktop, and only one photo shows there too. Now I don't know if the "two photos" notice is bogus (because it doesn't show on the desktop), or if a second image truly is not being displayed as the two individuals I contacted about it have not responded yet.

Other than that, it seems to be working okay. I have an LG Rebel 4 running Android 8.1.0 on a Tracfone.

PF

Old 05-26-2019   #187
olifaunt

I am trying to upload a picture. It keeps timing out after about 20 seconds. I tried about 20 times without success.

I pity the poor people who actually got roped into paying for this.

Old 05-26-2019   #188
Erik van Straten

Quote:
I am trying to upload a picture. It keeps timing out after about 20 seconds. I tried about 20 times without success.

I pity the poor people who actually got roped into paying for this.

I had the same!

Erik.

Old 05-26-2019   #189
Highway 61
Revisited

Since their last week updates and maintenances my flickr app. for Android doesn't work any longer. I had installed it in 2016 and it used to work fine through the former Yahoo login.

Now I am looking for a reliable flickr app. which will work with both Android 4.3 (my mobile phone is a Sony Xperia M C1905 released in 2015 but it works perfectly well and I see no reason to trash it and buy another one) and their new flickr, with the new login system (which works fine for me on a computer).

Not too sure, whether such a thing exists (I was unlucky at browsing the Play Store etc) but in any case, hints here will be appreciated.

Old 05-26-2019   #190
sevres_babylone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 61 View Post
Since their last week updates and maintenances my flickr app. for Android doesn't work any longer. I had installed it in 2016 and it used to work fine through the former Yahoo login.

Now I am looking for a reliable flickr app. which will work with both Android 4.3 (my mobile phone is a Sony Xperia M C1905 released in 2015 but it works perfectly well and I see no reason to trash it and buy another one) and their new flickr, with the new login system (which works fine for me on a computer).

Not too sure, whether such a thing exists (I was unlucky at browsing the Play Store etc) but in any case, hints here will be appreciated.
The Android app problem is known by Flickr. I think I read that they are going to release a new Android app at the beginning of June.

Old 05-26-2019   #191
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 61 View Post

Highway 61, I had to clear my app cache and app data, you may give that a try if you haven't already. The Flickr blog indicates the old app will work for now, but that they will release a new version around June 1:
https://blog.flickr.net/en/2019/05/0...ickr-downtime/

flickr

Old 05-27-2019   #192
Highway 61
Revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by dourbalistar View Post
Highway 61, I had to clear my app cache and app data, you may give that a try if you haven't already. The Flickr blog indicates the old app will work for now, but that they will release a new version around June 1:
https://blog.flickr.net/en/2019/05/0...ickr-downtime/
Thank you very much, I have just read what your link points to.

Yet I'm in a dead-end, sort of. Wanting to clear the app cache and app data I uninstalled the app by mistake. And I can't reinstall it even through the archived apps library of my Play account, because my Android version (4.3) doesn't accept the current flickr app the Play library will point to.

If the new app they will release from June 1st onwards can be installed on Android 4.3 and further, good. If it's for Android 4.4 and further, like the app available now, I'll be cooked and for flickr that'll be on a computer only till I get a new smartphone (i.e., when my current one will cease to function)...

Old 05-27-2019   #193
olifaunt

I still cannot upload anything. It keeps timing out.

Old 05-27-2019   #194
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:

Uploader has been working perfectly for me for the last day or so...

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 05-27-2019   #195
Bingley

Quote:
I've had the same problem when trying to upload photos on my home PC, as recently as this past Saturday. I can upload from my iPad, however.

FS: Zeiss-ZM Planar 50 plus hood, Pentax MX, Voigtlander Ultron 40/2.0 SLII in Pentax K-mount, Takumar 100/2.8 and 35/3.5 lenses: See my ads in Classifieds

M3, M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 05-27-2019   #196
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingley View Post
I've had the same problem when trying to upload photos on my home PC, as recently as this past Saturday. I can upload from my iPad, however.

Saturday was when they were down for the Great Migration. Uploader *should* be working now.

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 05-28-2019   #197
Highway 61
Revisited

Thanks to a mirror downloading website I was able to reinstall the same official flickr app for Android on the same cellphone eventually - great.

Now it's all set up like before : Android 4.3 and v. 4.3.5 of the flickr app.

But : I can't establish the connection - no way, either by clicking on "Connection" or on "Start over". Cleaning the cache etc doesn't help the least bit. I assume that this version of the app is trying to connect to flickr through the former Yahoo gate, which was closed during their last week Pandatime, obviously.

Anyone still successfully running the v. 4.3.5 of the Android app here ?

Old 05-28-2019   #198
ChipMcD

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm1 View Post
I have just "lost" 350,000 off my view count in the stats page................I was at just under 1.8 million views, edging up to 2 million. Today the count is 1.46 million. What the hell is going on?
Same thing happened to me but on a much more modest level. I went from ca 220k to 187k or so.

Old 05-28-2019   #199
Russell W. Barnes

I look on 'Recent Activity' and people have 'favourited' my pics, and made comments. But when I click on the images, there're no favourites flagged up and the comments are invisible! Same after a refresh.

This isn't consistent and sometimes the comments and favourites get through.

Old 05-28-2019   #200
olifaunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell W. Barnes View Post
I look on 'Recent Activity' and people have 'favourited' my pics, and made comments. But when I click on the images, there're no favourites flagged up and the comments are invisible! Same after a refresh.

This isn't consistent and sometimes the comments and favourites get through.

Yeah, I was finally able to upload a couple of pictures. But I deleted them when I saw notifications that they were faved but no record of the faves.

I think I'll wait until the bugs are ironed out before reposting them, or anything else.