M10 DNG Problem
Old 05-10-2019   #1
sepiareverb
genius and moron

M10 DNG Problem

Strange problem has just begun.

A few weeks ago, I pulled the 32 GB SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s SDHC card out of my M10 as I usually do and moved the images to my hard-drive. Put the card back in the camera, formatted it per usual and the camera said 'Card Not Available' when I went to shoot. I contacted Leica, and was told it was likely a card issue. I didn't get a reply when I asked if they could recommend a card, so read the specs from the Technical Data Sheet and got a pair of SanDisk Extreme 150MB/s SDXC cards from B&H. (the 32MB SDHC cards are from B&H as well).

I didn't bring the M10 on this last trip, but after getting home and shooting around town for half the week I pulled the card to work on some spring images and found that Bridge couldn't generate a thumbnail for any of the images when I opened the card. Then Photoshop gave me a "file format not recognized by Photoshop" error when I tried to open one via Camera Raw. When I returned to Bridge the 100Leica folder was empty. Removing the cards is also problematic, as they are 'in use' even though I quit Photoshop and Bridge.

I put the card back in the camera, and the images were all there. The Fotos phone app could display all the photos, and when I Airdropp a DNG to my computer it opens with no problems.

Running Mac Mojave, current version, on a late 2015 iMac with 32GB of memory. A dedicated 500GB flash drive as a scratch disk for Photoshop. Bridge & Photoshop CC 2019, and Camera Raw CC all current. Ran Disk Utility so permissions are all up to date. Adobe has the M10 DNG camera profile file in the proper place. Old DNG files from the same camera/firmware open without issue. Happens with the built-in SD slot and an external reader.

I've been using these 32GB cards in the M10 and the Hasselblad, with no issues at all for the last year. I ran Disk Utility, double checked that everything was up to date and am at a loss as to what is wrong with these cards. I just now took out another of the 32 GB cards, formatted it in the camera and made a test shot which opened fine. Will try the new SDXC cards in the Hasselblad and see what happens, that would point to a problem reading that kind of card. Very confused. Thoughts?

Old 05-10-2019   #2
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Just tried the new SDXC card in the Hasselblad and the same thing happens. Seems like the cards are not compatible with my computer?

Old 05-10-2019   #3
ptpdprinter

What a conundrum. SanDisk are industry standard cards. There is no reason they should not work with your camera and computer.

Old 05-10-2019   #4
Larry H-L

Weird.

Can you try a different computer in case your Adobe software has developed a glitch (or trash the preferences file, or re-download the apps if you are on the cloud)?

The cards, try this:
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

Good luck.

Old 05-10-2019   #5
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Thank you for the replies. Will de-install and re-install CC apps tonight, tho Phocus for the Hasselblad files couldn't load any files either. This computer is by far the glitchiest I've ever used. I've had to re-install Photoshop several times, and it randomly freezes. Everything, even the OS apps are buggy. It has gotten better overall, but now this. If I can sell my M5 and 50/1.4 I might just replace the thing. Maybe a trip to Small Dog (no Apple Store anywhere near me) is in order.

Would that formatter allow the cards to go right in the camera and work Larry? I've always formatted in-camera. I do have a laptop I use when on the road, hadn't thought about that as a troubleshooter for the card slot - thanks.

Old 05-10-2019   #6
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Works fine on the laptop with Finder, Bridge, Camera Raw and Photoshop.

Pointing towards the POS iMac I've got.

Time to look into the Lemon Laws on Computers...

Old 05-10-2019   #7
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
Pointing towards the POS iMac I've got.
Have you changed something recently with your iMac - hardware or OS?

Old 05-10-2019   #8
Larry H-L

The SD formatter restores cards similar to SD card factory formatting.

I would suggest you consider backing up your iMac, and doing a clean system install. It's a PIA, but you seem to have some OS system issues.

Short of that, have you tried totally unplugging your iMac from the wall for an hour?

Old 05-10-2019   #9
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
Have you changed something recently with your iMac - hardware or OS?
Nothing that I can think of - other than regular updates of the OS and the CC apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry H-L View Post
I would suggest you consider backing up your iMac, and doing a clean system install. It's a PIA, but you seem to have some OS system issues.

Short of that, have you tried totally unplugging your iMac from the wall for an hour?
I've done two clean re-installs of the OS on this machine since upgrading to Mojave, both after repeated Photoshop, Finder and Mail crashes. The entire CC has been re-installed once again since the last OS re-install. The computer is scheduled to shut down every evening at 8pm, and I start it up via the button on the days I'm here. It was left unplugged for the week while I was in Austin. I like that we are all thinking alike here.

Old 05-10-2019   #10
Huss

Quote:
... Removing the cards is also problematic, as they are 'in use' even though I quit Photoshop and Bridge.
Always remove the cards by going into Finder, finding the card and ejecting it there. Once you see that it's folder has disappeared, then pull it out.
Don't rely on photoshop etc closing to remove your card.

Old 05-10-2019   #11
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Always remove the cards by going into Finder, finding the card and ejecting it there. Once you see that it's folder has disappeared, then pull it out.
Don't rely on photoshop etc closing to remove your card.
Yes, I do eject via finder, usually from the sidebar. These problem cards need to be force ejected in finder. Neither choosing eject from the menu bar or dragging it to the trash will work either. I get the ‘card is in use’ when only finder is using it.

Looking like another OS reinstall is in my future.

Old 05-10-2019   #12
Doug

I'll also suggest using SD Formatter... But then following this I format again the camera so it can generate its folders. SD Formatter is good to use periodically to ensure your card works well, IMO.

Old 05-10-2019   #13
Huss

Quote:
Yes, I do eject via finder, usually from the sidebar. These problem cards need to be force ejected in finder. Neither choosing eject from the menu bar or dragging it to the trash will work either. I get the ‘card is in use’ when only finder is using it.

Looking like another OS reinstall is in my future.
Ya, reading all your observations it does not seem to be a card or camera problem, but an issue with your computer/OS.

Old 05-10-2019   #14
Larry H-L

It's not too common with Macs, but have you checked for a possible virus?

Old 05-11-2019   #15
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Looks like I’m going spend today and tomorrow backing everything up, and will just bring it in on Monday. I have some other things I could do in Burlington and having tried twice to reinstall the OS with only short term success it seems like I should probably let a younger person tackle it. Plus, if it isn’t fixed after some authorized service I might have a chance at getting somewhere with Apple replacing it. (Hah).

Much appreciate the thoughts, suggestions and patience with my woes.

Old 05-13-2019   #16
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Logic board going bad, $1000 fix. I was told the expected lifetime of this machine is 4 years.

Old 05-13-2019   #17
AAlfano

Quote:
Logic board going bad, $1000 fix. I was told the expected lifetime of this machine is 4 years.

This is outrageous. For the enormous premium Apple charges for Macs, they should be engineered for a useful life of at least six years.

I've been a Mac user for 12+ years, but with the number of problems I'm hearing about on recent models as well as their poor repairability, I think my five-year old Macbook is going to be my last.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 05-13-2019   #18
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAlfano View Post
...I've been a Mac user for 12+ years, but with the number of problems I'm hearing about on recent models as well as their poor repairability, I think my five-year old Macbook is going to be my last.
I've been using Apple computers since 1983. This is indeed a lemon compared to all the others.

Old 05-13-2019   #19
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Any product, no matter how good it is in general, can have a defect. We tend to hear only about the ones that have a defect, no matter how many units with no defects there are.

And a three year old Apple product was not "designed to last for four years" ... that was a misstatement by the clerk who helped you. It is certainly true that most Apple products tend to be replaced by their owners after about four years or so, but this is about twice what most non-Apple computers tend to last between replacements for most users. (My mid2012 Mac mini upgraded to Mojave without a hitch and runs everything as it always did with no issues, despite have been beaten upon with prejudice for all these long years of use since I bought it, upgraded it, and used used used it. It's still working just fine now... )

All of which is mostly irrelevant. Your 2015 Apple computer has come up with a logic board fault and is not running the card reader properly. It's a machine, it happens. You either fix it or replace it, if it's not still covered under your AppleCare Protection Program warranty (assuming you bought that). Not a big deal.

... Have you tried plugging in a USB card reader for SD cards to be sure that it's not a configuration glitch?

And yeah: I plan to buy a new Mac mini soon. Just waiting for the right moment, which is not three days after my car got bashed and I have to put out $4000 to fix that. Machines ... They know, they are malicious. LOL!

G

Old 05-13-2019   #20
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
And yeah: I plan to buy a new Mac mini soon. Just waiting for the right moment...
If you use LR, let me know if the Enhanced Details features works on the new Mac Mini, and if so, how long it takes to process a file. I am considering upgrading my late 2011 Mac Mini and am worried about the new integrated graphics being too slow. Thanks.

Old 05-13-2019   #21
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

I'm with Godfrey on the card reader problem. Try dusting the reader with a Rocket, look at your cards to see if there is any marks on it or residue. Fix the little parts first before the MB.

Old 05-13-2019   #22
Doug

Quote:
Too bad! Yet they are so nicely made; design, fit & finish, performance. Mine is a late-2014 27” and has had the hybrid drive fail and memory cards fail too, the current situation that has me online with the 2011 MacBook Pro now instead. A shame to think of only a 4-yr lifetime; that can't be realistic.

Godfrey, sorry to hear of the damage to your cute M-B!

Old 05-13-2019   #23
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Godfrey, sorry to hear of the damage to your cute M-B!
Thanks Doug. Yeah, it sucks. Three cars on the entrance ramp to the local expressway last Thursday morning. I was the guy in back. Guy in front slammed on the brakes at the last minute ... Why, I have no idea. The lane was clear for him to merge, and for both the car in front of me and myself. We were all accelerating to merge, and he just stopped.

There was simply not enough time to react and get the car stopped. The car in the middle had just barely come to a stop inches from him (I don't think she was actually fully stopped) and I wacked into her at about 10-15 mph. I hit the brakes hard as fast as I could when I saw her car's nose dip and the brake light come on, but that 30th of a second reaction time was the difference between the antilock brakes stopping the car and hitting her. Sigh. Luckily, the bus that was behind me was further back and had time to stop ... about 24 inches from my rear bumper. If he'd hit me, my car would have been a write off.

All cosmetic stuff broken. Nothing serious bent. New bumper, bumper cover, grille, headlight retaining brackets, paint, etc. A PITA, and an expensive one. But it'll be back to normal in a couple of weeks.

Best news is that no one was hurt at all.

G

Old 05-13-2019   #24
Corran

Quote:
Look up the CBC story about bogus repair from their store reps and Apple's continued rush to shut out all independent repair. Sorry but no matter how much of an Apple fan you and others are, you need to seriously research their business practices and consider if they are a company you want to support.

A great number of Apple products in the last decade have had class-action lawsuits for major engineering issues.

M10 DNG Problem
Old 05-13-2019   #25
maigo

M10 DNG Problem

Seconding Godfrey, try using an external USB SD Card reader. Blower might work too.

Do not try to clean out the reader manually(eg: q-tip and isopropyl alcohol) from the outside because the contacts are fragile and easily bent.
If you are electronically inclined you could take it apart and use DeOxit to properly clean the contacts.

BTW: Next month my iMac Core2Duo will be ten years old. Maxed out the memory to 8GB (!) and upgraded to 256GB SSD years ago. 3 TB external LaCie FireWire 800 (!) drive for images and videos.
LR5.6 (!) is still chugging along despite having 180K files (!!!) in my LR catalogue.

I will replace the machine in the late summer when Apple has their annual educational discounts and free gear with purchase of new computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-14-2019   #26
sepiareverb
genius and moron

External card reader is in the mix, equally buggy regardless of the port it is in. Hard-drives occasionally dis-mount. I'm not sure anyone knows for sure all that is going on with this thing (lots of buggy software issues as well despite multiple re-installs), but Logic Board seems a piece of it, and at this point I'm ready to just trade it in on the current version.

I'm too deep into Mac to try and switch to a PC, having never used a PC beyond the at the library and some in classrooms it is always a depth of confusion I can't get past, and I'm so sick of tech that learning something new is not in the cards.

I may try some DeOxit to tide me over, that's a good thought, tho the cards I had in the M10 and X1D yesterday worked without issue. I'm filling in at the local college this past week and this week, a former colleague is out on family leave, so will get a nice check in a few weeks. That and the trade-in will get me into a current iMac with maxed out memory and Apple Care.

I've gotten far longer out of every other machine I've owned, starting with a Powerbook Duo 210 from 1992 which still boots up and runs when plugged in. I've got two much older iMacs (a lollipop and a soapbar) which are working fine for some things, tho the browsers are too out of date to use.

This has just been a lemon ever since updating to Mojave.

Old 05-14-2019   #27
willie_901

As with all products, some fail before others. For large numbers of products the failure rate follows a Gaussian distribution. Whether they are made by Apple or one of the many PC manufactures, the Central Limit Theorem always applies because large numbers of board components are manufactured.

For every component that fails well before its mean-time-between-failure another component will not fail until well beyond the MTBF. Most components will fail. Two-thirds of all components will fail within one standard deviation of the MTBF.

No one likes to be have a failure in the skinny part of the Gaussian distribution – the 16% where the early failure rate within 2 to 3 standard deviation of the MTBF. But when a large number oc components are manufactured, this happens.

I have bought Apple computers since 1985. Not a single one has failed before the advancements in CPU/storage/memory/PS or applications made operation impractical. All this means is I was lucky and fell in between the one standard deviation failure rate.

Apple has three categories of for product support – normal, vintage and obsolete. Normal products are less than 5 years old and are handled by Apple retail stores. Vintage products are 5-7 years old. Parts and repairs are only available at Apple Service Providers in California. Obsolete products are older than 7 years. Apple provides no repair or technical support whatsoever. Here's a link that explains these policies. Of course, non-Apple vendors can provide parts and repairs.

PCs offer more repair options. For instance, HP desktop PC support is typically lasts 10 years. The large number of diverse PC suppliers means replacement boards and parts are probably unlimited.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg normal-curve.jpg (15.2 KB, 4 views)
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com