Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

View Poll Results: What is your go-to lens for street photography?
28mm 27 15.70%
35mm 87 50.58%
50mm 39 22.67%
Other 19 11.05%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2019   #81
DavidC

If I had a Zeiss ZM I probably would be shooting more with a 28mm lens. The Leica's viewfinder is not adequate for that focal length since eye relief is so poor for eyeglass wearers. Leica's stubborn adherence to the traditional Leica form has prevented a re-design of its viewfinder on its film cameras. Fear of M5 syndrome??

Old 05-01-2019   #82
back alley
IMAGES

i like all the ones listed plus a few others...lately i have been using my new 16/2.8 (24) plus my 75...

Old 05-05-2019   #83
MaxElmar

40/1.4 Nokton - on a Bessa or a CL. It simply works for me.

Still Photographically Uncool
https://www.flickr.com/photos/xenotar/

Old 05-05-2019   #84
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogarth Ferguson View Post
I'm curious why you'd post this, what does it add? It doesn't answer the question, and seems like you're just bragging about your gear collection. There has to be one lens that ends up on the body more than any other.

I mean, I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just curious what the point of listing this all out is.
It answers the question perfectly. Obviously Mike is in the “other” camp, and is perfectly capable of using a myriad of lenses for “street photography”. It might not answer the question in you preconceived idea of what the answer should be, but it sure does answer it.

Old 05-06-2019   #85
kiss-o-matic

If I'm in Tokyo, where I traditionally did most of my shooting, and due to time constraints do a fair big of now (compared to my home of Chicago), 28mm if possible. For Chicago, 35mm is better.

Old 05-06-2019   #86
narsuitus

When I did street shooting with my 6x6cm Mamiya TLR, the 80mm f/2.8 was my go-to lens.

Old 05-07-2019   #87
jkcampbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
It answers the question perfectly. Obviously Mike is in the “other” camp, and is perfectly capable of using a myriad of lenses for “street photography”. It might not answer the question in you preconceived idea of what the answer should be, but it sure does answer it.
By "other" camp you mean photographers that randomly grab 1 lens from the 34 sitting on the shelf to shoot street? I'm thinking that's a pretty small camp and it would be interesting to understand the rationale, which was part of the original question. I find it pretty hard to believe that a few lens, or at least a range of focal lengths don't get used a little more than others. If you're going to take the time to type out a list of 34 lens at least make the effort to explain why. So, no, he didn't answer the OP's question, not even close. It's just a list of lens and then a tantrum when asked for an explanation.

Old 05-07-2019   #88
airfrogusmc

I shoot street usually with a 35 and an M M becasue it matches the way I see. So I'm from whatever camp matching vision with equipment is. No need for anythign else for me.

Old 05-07-2019   #89
Majki

28 is my favorite lens.
My second choice is 21.
50mm: i don't know how to use this lens on the street, but 40mm (rollei 35se) look very accurate. I would like to try some 40mm on my rangefinder.

Old 05-08-2019   #90
Yokosuka_Mike
The Beat Goes On

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcampbell View Post
By "other" camp you mean photographers that randomly grab 1 lens from the 34 sitting on the shelf to shoot street? I'm thinking that's a pretty small camp and it would be interesting to understand the rationale, which was part of the original question. I find it pretty hard to believe that a few lens, or at least a range of focal lengths don't get used a little more than others. If you're going to take the time to type out a list of 34 lens at least make the effort to explain why. So, no, he didn't answer the OP's question, not even close. It's just a list of lens and then a tantrum when asked for an explanation.
Tantrum?

Other than your complaints, and I see you did your research, "34" and counting, what makes you so angry about my list.

Maybe I should have given a more complete list of my lenses, maybe I will. I could throw in all my cameras too!

Anyway, jkcampbel, I hope your post made you feel better because it didn't make me feel any the worse.

All the best!
Mike

Old 05-08-2019   #91
clickysteve

Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f1.4

Old 05-08-2019   #92
helenhill
Chasing Shadows ... Light

50 and a 21 ... YUM !!

Old 05-08-2019   #93
narsuitus

For street shooting, I sometimes use a Nikon L35 AF compact camera with a fixed 35mm f/2.8 lens.

Nikon L35 by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Old 05-08-2019   #94
jkcampbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokosuka_Mike View Post
Tantrum?

Other than your complaints, and I see you did your research, "34" and counting, what makes you so angry about my list.

Maybe I should have given a more complete list of my lenses, maybe I will. I could throw in all my cameras too!

Anyway, jkcampbel, I hope your post made you feel better because it didn't make me feel any the worse.

All the best!
Mike
Sorry Mike, not in any way trying to make you feel bad. The OP's question was "Do you have a single lens you like for street photography? Which one is it? How come?" Someone asked the question why your response was to list 34 lens without explaining your rationale. A legitimate question. Instead of explaining your response you post "Screw it. You can't please everybody so you gotta please yourself. Done with it." Very hurtful, I was truly devastated. I forgive you, type out a list of all your equipment and everything will be alright. Cheers, jc

Old 05-08-2019   #95
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokosuka_Mike View Post
How would that be helpful to anyone?

Old 05-08-2019   #96
Yokosuka_Mike
The Beat Goes On

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
How would that be helpful to anyone?
I don't know. Does it really matter? Do you really care?

Why not ask what the meaning of life is?

Mike

Old 05-12-2019   #97
dmr
Registered Abuser

Kinda odd girl out here. Mostly the Takumar 28-80 zoom, or else whatever stock lens is on whatever {d-word} camera I have with me.