Leather half-case for M2, M3?
Old 05-05-2019   #1
Ron Montad

Leather half-case for M2, M3?

The original Leica case had its own strap lugs and secured to the camera via the tripod screw on the base. Most of the modern-day cases use little flaps that wrap around the lugs and snap into place. Does anyone know if anyone makes a new case that is based on the original Lieca design? I know of one vendor that makes an attached strap, but the center of gravity is too low and it still uses lug-flaps to secure.

Old 05-05-2019   #2
sakrafd

I was looking for the same type of half case and could only find "Camera Hirano" cases being made today that matched this style:

http://www.camera-hirano.jp/shopdetail/015001000003/015/001/X/page1/order/

Note that additional "lugs" are attached to the case and any strap can be used. I believe they only ship to a Japanese address though (my girlfriend was able to ship it to her parents house).

Japan Exposures used to export them - I would check with them before ordering online though - it doesn't look like they've updated their site in a very long time.

http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/camera-bag-case-strap/hand-made-leather-camera-case-for-leica-cameras.html

(I have no affiliation with Camera Hirano or Japan Exposures)

Last edited by sakrafd : 05-05-2019 at 17:40. Reason: fixed links

Old 05-05-2019   #3
santino
eXpect me

What about Luigi Crescenzi of Leicatime?

Old 05-05-2019   #4
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

I'm not aware of Luigi making a case of the type the OP wants. But there are original Leica cases, in reasonable condition, on eBay from time to time.

Old 05-05-2019   #5
peterm1

You could ask this guy. His work is excellent and he may be able to help as he seems, based on my experience, willing to help customers with specific requirements - at least he was willing to make a case for me using a custom color (which is not quite the same of course). His standard issue cases are lug attached, however, he certainly makes cases that otherwise fit Leica film Ms. And for a very reasonable price. The alternative is to buy a Leica M ever ready case (they can be found now and then) and throw away the top part. I did this for a number of years back in my days of shooting an M3 as it was pre eBay and so new replacements were hard to come by. Just be aware though if you are not already, that some cases have a non standard screw - larger than that used, later. A "small-screw" case bottom will mount on an M base plate which has a larger hole using an adapter insert (also available) but of course the reverse does not work.

https://www.ebay.com/str/Zhou-Camera-Case