Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Film Cameras

Old 03-20-2019   #41
james.liam

The Ikon seems so insubstantial in hand. Looked at one before getting an M6; Lighter, no solidity to it. Did have a great viewfinder, though.

Old 03-20-2019   #42
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.liam View Post
The Ikon seems so insubstantial in hand. Looked at one before getting an M6; Lighter, no solidity to it. Did have a great viewfinder, though.
This is an interesting test of the ZM, and mentions it is much more susceptible to damage.

https://www.35mmc.com/19/03/2016/zeiss-ikon/

Interestingly whereas the ZM once was 'affordable' it is now almost the same price as an M6/7 and much more than an M4.

Old 03-20-2019   #43
PRJ
Another Day in Paradise

I've been beating a Hexar up for over a decade now and the thing keeps taking it. Paint is worn off the Titanium on all the corners. I've never had an issue with mine. Back around the time I got it people complained about the rangefinder going out of calibration so I made sure it was calibrated, then put a tiny drop of Canada Balsam on the wheel for calibration. Haven't touched it since. Still focuses right on the money. I kind of understand why people avoid them since you can't get them fixed. Maybe I just got lucky with mine, or maybe people are super picky and it isn't a Leica. I think if it said Leica on the front of it people would be extolling it's virtues. I use it way more than my M3 because as a photographic tool it is far better.

Old 03-20-2019   #44
drewbarb
picnic like it's 1999

That's great to hear, PRJ. I'm a little jealous; I had hoped I'd have a Hexar RF I'd been beating up for a long time at this point, too. After mine was revealed to have a bum winder, I maybe I should have prioritized finding a good one instead of being put off. I had used one before that belonged to a photographer I worked for, and it was a great, reliable camera; that's why I bought it in the first place. For someone looking for an M-mount high film volume workhorse, it certainly seemed like it couldn't be beat.

But in the end (and especially nowadays) I'm pretty slow and picky about what I commit to film, so the M3's are more than sufficient for me. When I need a high volume workhorse camera, I'm shooting digital these days - and if I could do that with an M10 I probably would, but A) not for everything, and B) that's another thread. To return the matter at hand...

The durability issue of the Ikon ZM is well noted, too - especially coming from Leica cameras. It's part of what stops me from buying one. But I guess I've more than sufficiently answered the thread for myself; to Robert, maybe this is the long way round saying it sounds like you should try an M7 - or maybe find a Hexar RF...

Old 03-20-2019   #45
Huss

I akshully really like the idea of the Konica.
Sorta like a Contax G2 but w/o a tiny peephole finder and AF.

Old 03-22-2019   #46
Archiver

My Zeiss Ikon ZM just gave up the ghost one day, and I hardly shot with it. It's had less than 20 rolls through it since I bought it in 2008, and it just failed to start a couple of years ago. Changed batteries, nothing worked. No internal shutter speed lights, no shutter, nothing. So as much as I love the camera for its lightness, easy loading and viewfinder, I'd be a little hesitant to recommend it. Mine could just be a fluke.

My M7 was bought secondhand in 2010 and hasn't skipped a beat since then, apart from a bit of fuss with the DX code reader. Mine has the new viewfinder but the old DX reader, it seems.