24mm Elmarit f/2.8 Asph on the M240
Old 12-02-2017   #1
chaospress

24mm Elmarit f/2.8 Asph on the M240

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the Leica 24mm f2.8 Elmarit-M Asph, and particularly how it performs on the M240.

I had a 28 f/2.8 Elmarit Asph that I liked with film but it seemed too contrasty on the M240 so I switched it out for the 3rd version Elmarit which is superb.

If the 24 Asph is as 'hot' as the 28 Asph I may pass on getting one.

Thanks in advance...

Old 08-23-2018   #2
dufffader
Leicanaut/Nikonaut...

Hi.
I have a 24mm Elmarit ASPH and M-P.
I'm not sure if I can describe it as contrasty, nor compare it to the 28mm f2.8 Elmarit which I don't have. Besides, I don't find any issue with contrasty lenses like the 35mm or 50mm modern Summiluxes as there's enough information in the DNG to recover the file using the contrast sliders.
But I do recall that the 24mm Elmarit is well balanced vs say the 35mm ASPH Summilux when I used them on film cameras. I would say the 24mm does pop. If you had a 35mm ASPH Summilux as a 10, and a uncoated Elmar from the 40s as a 1, I would call the 24mm Elmarit ASPH as a 7 or 8. I would describe the lens as very well balanced and flat on a M-P (or M240 which I believe is the same sensor).
In fact, the 24mm is one of my favorite lenses, performance-wise, but it doesn't get most of the mount-time mainly because of the need for an external viewfinder.

Old 08-23-2018   #3
airfrogusmc

I have the 24 2.8 Elmarit and I have the M 262 and love it on the M 262. It is a great lens.

Old 08-23-2018   #4
Papercut

Location: Westchester county, NY (and Chongqing whenever I can get there)
Never used mine on a digital Leica, but on film the 24/2.8 ASPH has always struck me as fairly moderate contrast compared to my 35 Summicron ASPH.

EDIT: This is just my informal impression -- I've done no testing and read no hard data reviews to back it up.

=========
Only connect.
=========

flickr photostream

Old 08-23-2018   #5
kknox

Its one of my most used lens on my M262. I have neverused it on my film M cameras. When its not on my M262 it lives on my M8.2.
Great lens.

Old 03-20-2019   #6
JPSuisse

This is one of my favorite lenses. I even have 2... LOL. The silver one lives on my M8. The black one I use occasionally for B/W on my MP.

It does get a tad contrasty in full light I find for the M8. As I scan all my negatives, I have no problem with B/W. Never made prints from this lens.

EDIT: Sorry I guess I was off topic this post referred to the M240 only.