Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > FSU Former Soviet Union RF

FSU Former Soviet Union RF This forum is for the Former Soviet Union rangefinder cameras, especially the many and various Fed, Zorki, and Kiev.

Infinity Focus Issue
Old 03-12-2019   #1
sepha.kay

Infinity Focus Issue

I've been really annoyed these past few months. For some odd reason my infinity focus always seems to shift very slightly after hours of use. I always double check my readings before I declare it's finished (Both infinity and 1M) and I feel very confident about it, but it always finds its way slightly off. It's not dramatically off, but enough to say "it needs a small tweak". Could it be because of movement? I have it around my neck and its usually bumping against my stomach most of the time, but from what I know that shouldn't have an affect on the RF.

Any ideas to why this may be happening? Maybe Flange shift? Lens mount/demount?

Would appreciate the help!

EDIT: The camera I am using is a 1953 Zorki 1 C with a Jupiter 8 lens

Old 03-12-2019   #2
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

It would probably help if you said which camera and lens you have. It sounds like the rangefinder could be drifting out of calibration, as if an internal adjustment is loose. But are you always using the same target, and/or always selecting a test target far enough away to be at "infinity?" If it happens while you are out walking with the camera, it seems like you might be using a different target, and at a different distance, each time you check. A distance of several miles away is recommended. A radio or TV tower in the distance is good. The moon is better!

Old 03-12-2019   #3
sepha.kay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
It would probably help if you said which camera and lens you have. It sounds like the rangefinder could be drifting out of calibration, as if an internal adjustment is loose. But are you always using the same target, and/or always selecting a test target far enough away to be at "infinity?" If it happens while you are out walking with the camera, it seems like you might be using a different target, and at a different distance, each time you check. A distance of several miles away is recommended. A radio or TV tower in the distance is good. The moon is better!

Sorry about that! Forgot to mention the camera. I have a 1953 Zorki 1 C with a Jupiter 8 lens

and yes, I focus far enough for infinity. I even focused on the Moon the other time I fixed the infinity. Happened again...

Old 03-12-2019   #4
Arbitrarium

Hi Sepha

No solution from me but I had the same issue with a 120 folding camera. Got the rangefinder perfectly aligned, left it overnight and in the morning it was way off again Goblins.

Old 03-12-2019   #5
sepha.kay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitrarium View Post
Hi Sepha

No solution from me but I had the same issue with a 120 folding camera. Got the rangefinder perfectly aligned, left it overnight and in the morning it was way off again Goblins.

Haha, Hi Tom! I'm glad you understand my pain.

Old 03-12-2019   #6
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitrarium View Post
Hi Sepha

Next time make a note of the frame number last thing at night. As we can't see them the frame may be blank but that's assuming they are taking photo's and haven't RTFMed...

Regards, David

Old 03-12-2019   #7
E.M

who needs infinity ?

Old 03-12-2019   #8
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Next time make a note of the frame number last thing at night. As we can't see them the frame may be blank but that's assuming they are taking photo's and haven't RTFMed...

Regards, David
What's RTFMed?

Old 03-12-2019   #9
wolves3012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepha.kay View Post
I've been really annoyed these past few months. For some odd reason my infinity focus always seems to shift very slightly after hours of use. I always double check my readings before I declare it's finished (Both infinity and 1M) and I feel very confident about it, but it always finds its way slightly off. It's not dramatically off, but enough to say "it needs a small tweak". Could it be because of movement? I have it around my neck and its usually bumping against my stomach most of the time, but from what I know that shouldn't have an affect on the RF.

Any ideas to why this may be happening? Maybe Flange shift? Lens mount/demount?

Would appreciate the help!

EDIT: The camera I am using is a 1953 Zorki 1 C with a Jupiter 8 lens
Can't offer a definitive answer but there's a factor you may not have accounted for - maybe factorS. First off, the camera is old and isn't as precision-made as something more expensive. Years of wear in the RF mechanics and/or lack of original precision mean there's likely to be a small amount of play and backlash in the mechanism. When you've finished adjusting, try moving the lens end-to-end and back to the starting point (infinity). Does the RF remain in calibration at the time? Repeat the end-to-end before rechecking it again. Let us know what the outcome is but bear in mind you may well have to live with it.
Leica IIIC
Yashica Minister III
Zenith C, Zenit C, Zenit E
Minolta XG-M, XD-5
Nikon P50
Panasonic Lumix G2, 14-42 Kit lens + 45-150mm

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 03-12-2019   #10
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
What's RTFMed?

Hi,

Many people use RTFM to mean Read The Factory Manual but, OTOH, not everyone is as polite as we are on RFF...

Regards, David

Old 03-16-2019   #11
sepha.kay

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves3012 View Post
When you've finished adjusting, try moving the lens end-to-end and back to the starting point (infinity). Does the RF remain in calibration at the time? Repeat the end-to-end before rechecking it again. Let us know what the outcome is but bear in mind you may well have to live with it.

I've tested this out. It stays in place, but after a while it just shifts on its own again. Always the same amount of movement as well. Maybe if I adjusted it a tiny bit past the infinity and let it shift on its own, it should sit in place then? maybe I should give that a try.