Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji Digital General Discussion

Is there really not a thread yet about the Fuji gfx 50r?
Old 09-26-2018   #1
nightfly

Is there really not a thread yet about the Fuji gfx 50r?

This camera looks insane.

Same sensor as all the other digital medium format cameras have but in a nice light body with rangefinder styling.

Will wait to see what reviews are like but I'm pretty much ready for them to take my money. I've been drooling over the Hassy X1d for awhile but the price point is a little rich and the other Fuji just felt like it wasn't really what I was looking for but his one nails it.

Old 09-26-2018   #2
Contarama

I was reading about this camera. It is the only block that has any appeal to me (outside a Digi M) that I have seen in the past few years. I would gladly hand over the 4500 for this Fuji. I am now convinced Canikon has most definitely fumbled the ball.

Old 09-26-2018   #3
Corran

Marginally larger sensor than FF DSLRs. Didn't like the EVF on the older GFX. Big honkin' 63mm f/2.8 standard lens that isn't even that fast or interesting. Just not seeing the appeal, except perhaps if you really, really need that MF digital studio camera on a bellows using movements and such like on a technical camera, which the mirrorless does well. Maybe if it was, like, $1999, but even at the $4500 price-point it's competing with some awfully good cameras and full-featured lens lineups, not to mention new FF mirrorless options.

Old 09-26-2018   #4
Scapevision

I see myself owning one in 10 years, when the prices of used ones get tolerable and owners get bored

Old 09-26-2018   #5
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

This thread was moved to a whole forum dedicated to the camera

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...hp?forumid=234

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 09-26-2018   #6
Archlich

The old (circa 2014) Sony IMX161 sensor is seriously holding everything else back. Per people's comment: "it looks like a XE-1 and focuses like one", while other, smaller and newer Fuji cameras are attaining blazing speed. It is very likely that the all-new GFX100S, being loaded with the fresh from the oven IMX461, will outperform its smaller brethren. An odd sight it would be though.

Still, the next generation could be nice. It would be quite feasible to see a successor in 2022 that boasts 2018 smaller-format performance. Into that I would buy...

Old 09-26-2018   #7
Contarama

Come on boys this camera is dripping form factor. And it is bigger which means the bazooka glass fits true to form. Bigger than FF. It has soul unlike some recent no mirror offerings. My opinion.

Old 09-27-2018   #8
jsrockit

It certainly is interesting, but it is too big and too expensive for me...

Size comparisons here:

https://photorumors.com/2018/09/26/t...os-r-and-more/

Old 09-27-2018   #9
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
Marginally larger sensor than FF DSLRs. Didn't like the EVF on the older GFX. Big honkin' 63mm f/2.8 standard lens that isn't even that fast or interesting.
How fast do you expect MF lenses to be?

Old 09-27-2018   #10
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I got an 80mm 1.9 on my Mamiya 645ProTL. Which has a bigger sensor than this Fuji.

Old 09-27-2018   #11
Scapevision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
I got an 80mm 1.9 on my Mamiya 645ProTL. Which has a bigger sensor than this Fuji.
but it didn't have to house all the autofocus crap inside, did it?

Old 09-27-2018   #12
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Well, you`d have admit that it is not the norm in MF no? 2.8 is considered a normal fast lens in MF. Anything faster is exotic no?

Old 09-27-2018   #13
aizan

looks like a reasonable size, if on the chunky side. i'm not digging the design of the bumpy corner with the AF-assist/self-timer light. not very elegant, but i guess that's beside the point.

Old 09-27-2018   #14
nightfly

It's the same sensor as the Hassy X-1D in a less elegant but still pretty nice body with a decent selection of lenses.

I dunno, to me it's the digital Mamiya 7 (I know it's much smaller than 6 x 7 film). A great complement to a Leica or a GR for when you want serious image quality for big prints or just the look of lots of big pixels.

Old 09-27-2018   #15
Corran

Quote:
Well, it might be "MF" in the digital world, but it's most certainly not "MF" in the traditional 56 x whatever form. So, since the sensor isn't really that much bigger, I think f/2 would be more in line with the camera. But, truthfully, the lens already looks humongous.

The Fuji 6x9 cameras had a 105mm f/3.5, and this sensor is almost half the size of a 6x9 frame! The Pentax 6x7, with film 50% larger, has a 105mm f/2.4!

I just don't quite get it, other than the progression of "my sensor is bigger than your sensor" kinda one-upmanship common these days. I mean, if it was a black box and a control system to shoot attached to a technical camera, I get it, but the form-factor is meant to shoot out-and-about. You'll have to push the ISO to 4x to get the same amount of light compared to a f/1.4 lens on FF. And I doubt there will be significant differences in the image compared to a high-resolution DSLR FF camera with a good, fast lens, at 2 stops lower ISO or 4x shutter speed.

Old 10-29-2018   #16
JeffNYC

Love the handling of the GFX50R.. Played with it for quite a while at photoplus expo. Very impressive.

Leica, Nikon, & Fuji

Flickr Gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffcolen/

Old 10-29-2018   #17
jsrockit

Did you order it already Jeff?

Old 10-31-2018   #18
nightfly

Would love to hear more about this as there isn't much on the internet besides the original announcement and accompanying propaganda. A first hand impression would be much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNYC View Post
Love the handling of the GFX50R.. Played with it for quite a while at photoplus expo. Very impressive.

Old 10-31-2018   #19
Baby of Macon

I have one on order. Will post when I get it. Deliveries are due in Ireland end November. I'm sure the IQ will be no different to my 50S, which is to say, superb. But I am interested in the ergonomics.. The real deficiency in the 50S is the exposure compensation arrangement - which is not great at all. But its the only flaw in an otherwise superb camera.

Old 10-31-2018   #20
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly View Post
Would love to hear more about this as there isn't much on the internet besides the original announcement and accompanying propaganda. A first hand impression would be much appreciated.
there are videos on youtube...

Old 10-31-2018   #21
back alley
IMAGES

i make no sense with this new camera...it looks like a big xe3 but i love the xe3 because of it's (small) size...caught myself figuring what i might sell of my current fuji gear to get this new r...just f'ing nuts...

De-focused areas seem untidy
Old 03-03-2019   #22
arthury
Arthur Y

De-focused areas seem untidy

REF: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikere...405954/in/feed

I happen to see this in Flickr and I'm a little puzzled by the defocused area.

If you follow these steps, you will see what I'm referring to:
  • Click on the image
  • click on EXPAND icon on top right hand corner
  • hover over the expanded image and click on it to expand to its max

Now, examine the defocused areas. You will see the messy bokeh, dots and untidy pixels.

The image seems to be uploaded at a pretty large size. Resolution of the focused elephant looked great. It's bright sunshine so the issue with the defocused area is certainly not noise.

Something is weird with this sensor. I'm not sold.

Old 03-03-2019   #23
Peter_S

The sensor may be "just a little bigger than FF", but it has a 4:3 ratio. I think this is quite a significant difference.
If one prefers this image ratio or intends on cropping to 7:6 or 1:1, is less of a loss than with FF, and the initial image composition is likely better suited for a final 7:6 ratio.

This may or may not matter. If one intends to continue working with a digital camera coming from MF film, it may.
--------------------------
www.ps-photo.net
On instagram

Old 03-03-2019   #24
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthury View Post

• Click on the image

Now, examine the defocused areas. You will see the messy bokeh, dots and untidy pixels.

The image seems to be uploaded at a pretty large size. Resolution of the focused elephant looked great. It's bright sunshine so the issue with the defocused area is certainly not noise.

Flickr does some weird things to photos. I have images which look perfect on my machine and printed, but on flickr they look 'rough' if that makes sense.

Old 03-03-2019   #25
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthury View Post

• Click on the image

I followed the steps. So what you're saying is that there's a big elephant in the room... I mean in the image?

flickr

Old 03-04-2019   #26
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
It certainly is interesting, but it is too big and too expensive for me...

Size comparisons here:

https://photorumors.com/2018/09/26/t...os-r-and-more/
The size comparison with the x-pro 2 is interesting. It really shows how big the x-pro is.

Old 03-04-2019   #27
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
The size comparison with the x-pro 2 is interesting. It really shows how big the x-pro is.
Yes, but the xpro2 is perfectly sized to me.

Old 03-05-2019   #28
nightfly

I think if you look at an image directlyfrom the camera and unmolested by Flickr's upload algorithms, you'll be pleasantly surprised. They really are beautiful and get better the more you zoom in. I'm sure you can find some sample images on the web that are minimally compressed.

It's a big camera for sure, but the images are pretty amazing. The Hassy is a little smaller and more beautifully designed, but I've been told that the usability isn't what it should be with regards to speed. Also with Fuji's lens deals, a Hassy with a lens is almost twice the price for virtually the same output.

Thus far I'm pretty pleased.

Old 03-05-2019   #29
jsrockit

No doubt it’s a great camera, but size vs. image quality is something we all wrestle with and we either commit or compromise. RFF is full of those who have compromised and use smaller format cameras due to size. To me, I cannot compromise... I can’t give up fast autofocus for better IQ.

Old 03-06-2019   #30
nightfly

For me the more valid and apt size comparison is a Mamiya 7. And it feels about the same size. Coming from mostly manual focus cameras, the auto focus speed isn't an issue for me. Bought it, ironically, for travel, so we'll see how it does on upcoming trip to Japan paired with a GR. In the past my biggest regret with travel cameras is not getting the large and airy images that medium format give you with the potential for very big prints. Hoping this fills the gap.

Old 03-06-2019   #31
Out to Lunch

Since a few months I have been using the Fuji X-H1 which has IBIS and it's great. No IBIS on Fuji's medium format cameras?

Old 03-06-2019   #32
jsrockit

Next model Peter. As for comparing it to the mamiya 7, sure that makes sense. And it works for more traditional medium format photography as well. It just isn’t fast ... yet.

Old 03-06-2019   #33
nightfly

For me the biggest issue is that the grip is too shallow and no on makes one of those grip extenders, yet. I wish it had a grip more like the X-1D.