Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

If your photography sucks you need better gear
Old 02-26-2019   #1
Huss

If your photography sucks you need better gear

Just read steve huff’s test on Sony’s latest lens:

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2019/0...he-money-lens/

This quote of his stuck out for me:

“When I was shooting with the lens I kept thinking…Sony is making it too easy. I mean, with an A9 and this lens? Anyone can take an amazing professional quality image.”

Old 02-26-2019   #2
jsrockit

Professional looking, these days, seems to mean a photo with bokeh!

Old 02-26-2019   #3
Ambro51

You could make a career using a Diana Camera.

Old 02-26-2019   #4
michaelwj
----------------

“If your photos aren’t good enough, you’re not wide open enough”

Old 02-26-2019   #5
raid
Dad Photographer

If you believe that you need a new modern lens then you haven't tried the really superior very old lenses from the 1930's and 1940's.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 02-26-2019   #6
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Professional looking, these days, seems to mean a photo with bokeh!

I know - I don't get many 'Likes' by using f/5.6...

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 02-26-2019   #7
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Any one who is trying to question the guy who is selling ghost busting device should correct thier expectations.
We are dealing with adult carrying child brain. At one side he belives in ghosts at another side he thinks what he knows what professional photography is.

Old 02-26-2019   #8
Huss

I was looking at portraits taken by Arbus, Meier, Liebovitz, Bailey, Hardan, Avedon, Karsh, Penn, Ritts, Seliger, Ellen Mark, McCurry...

None used that Sony lens. And none only had an eyelash in focus. Obviously those photographers had no idea what they were doing.

Old 02-26-2019   #9
ptpdprinter

Folks, when are you going to smarten up and stop reading his blog? It's all clickbait.

Old 02-26-2019   #10
rfaspen

He did say it is "the money lens".

Old 02-26-2019   #11
Beemermark

Many years (decades) ago I owned a book titled "the Amateur Photographer's Handbook" by Aaron Sussman. Not sure when it was published but I bought it around 1970, used. Probably did more to teach me my style of photography than any thing else. In one chapter titled what lens do I buy he studied hundreds (forget the exact number) of award winning photos in publications of the day plus going to various clubs that had photo contests and found that over 90% were taken with a normal lens with an aperture /5.6 or /8. That's always stuck with me and I think some of my best photographs fit that formula. I often wonder why I keep buying fast lenses -

Old 02-26-2019   #12
Prest_400
Multiformat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
Folks, when are you going to smarten up and stop reading his blog? It's all clickbait.
Who I noticed being out of the limelight for a couple years already is Ken Rockwell. I guess he makes the most nowadays from referring sales from his site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
If you believe that you need a new modern lens then you haven't tried the really superior very old lenses from the 1930's and 1940's.

I used to say to a friend that "in imperfection lies expression". Ironically, cinematographers do seek imperfect lenses for that very reason. But on the point of lens qualities, those lenses can be up there.

Old 02-26-2019   #13
stevierose
Ann Arbor, Michigan

I long ago concluded that any problems I have with my photographs have nothing to do with my cameras or lenses. Every camera I have ever owned was capable of taking a world class photograph in the right hands. This is equally transferable to other avocations. I am a dedicated fly fisherman. New top of the line fly rods now sell for nearly a thousand dollars plus the cost of the reel and line. I've seen the very best casters attach a line to a broom stick and cast the whole thing out in one stroke. I stopped buying new fly rods long ago. Same with golf clubs, etc. etc.. Or, as they used to say about another sort of endowment, "It ain't the meat! It's the motion!!" =)

Old 02-26-2019   #14
peterm1

"If your photography sucks you need better gear"

Damn! I knew there was a reason.

Honey, sell the kids and mortgage the house. I need an M10.

Old 02-26-2019   #15
Bill Clark

Hi Pete,

Your flickr photographs are looking great!

Old 02-26-2019   #16
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Clark View Post
Hi Pete,

Imagine how much better they would be if he had that new Sony lens!

Old 02-26-2019   #17
LCSmith
arbiter elegentiae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post

“When I was shooting with the lens I kept thinking…Sony is making it too easy. I mean, with an A9 and this lens? Anyone can take an amazing professional quality image.”
This quote interests me for a number of reasons. Let's get the obvious out of the way -- Mr. Huff's comment sounds like an advertising pitch. You too can take professional quality images!

In a way, he's right. When the A7R2 first came out, I bought in along with most of the lenses available at the time. I shot them all wide open and lathered my retinas in buttery bokeh baths. The 35 1.4 and 85 1.4 in particular.

But there is an aesthetic homogeneity which begins to happen with those cameras and lenses. I did not like it.

Isn't it interesting how we have moved, in general, from talking about good photographs, and now we talk about good "images"? What makes a good image? Is it different from what makes a good photograph? The phrase "professional quality images" is really interesting to me.

Bokeh is the new bourgeois concept.

Old 02-26-2019   #18
nickthetasmaniac

It is Steve Huff... He's not exactly known for subtly and nuance.

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 02-26-2019   #19
peterm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Clark View Post
Hi Pete,

Thanks I appreciate it. Just don't tell my wife.

Old 02-26-2019   #20
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Can’t stop, we need to feel superior to somebody.

Old 02-26-2019   #21
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSmith View Post
Isn't it interesting how we have moved, in general, from talking about good photographs, and now we talk about good "images"? What makes a good image? Is it different from what makes a good photograph? The phrase "professional quality images" is really interesting to me.

Bokeh is the new bourgeois concept.
"Image" is a generic term, of which a photograph is a subset. For example, I make images of specimens using X-ray fluorescence microscopy at work. They're not photographs. A photograph is type of image, an image is not a type of photograph. Many photographs can be arranged/composited to make an image, but the reverse is not true.

"Bokeh is the new bourgeois concept", provided it's razor sharp in the focal plane!

Old 02-26-2019   #22
ptpdprinter

Quote:
We have been forced into it by film aficionados who maintain that digital images aren't technically photographs.

Old 02-26-2019   #23
LCSmith
arbiter elegentiae

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
"Image" is a generic term, of which a photograph is a subset. For example, I make images of specimens using X-ray fluorescence microscopy at work. They're not photographs. A photograph is type of image, an image is not a type of photograph. Many photographs can be arranged/composited to make an image, but the reverse is not true.
Yes, I take your point. That is the general meaning; but notice how cleverly the language has evolved. If we may speak of images, we may also speak of image quality -- and it is only a very small squeak of rationale to equate image quality with the quality of an image. In other words, the quality of an image (in this case, a professional quality image) may be "consumed" by purchasing a lens/camera/sensor which produces higher "image quality". And so, in the mind of the consumer, the end of the photographic endeavor or pursuit is higher or better or more dynamic (I love this word also) image quality, not quality of image -- or maybe the distinction has been "blurred" (pun intended).

Old 02-26-2019   #24
Mcary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Just read steve huff’s test on Sony’s latest lens:

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2019/0...he-money-lens/

This quote of his stuck out for me:

No more worrying about learning to see light, or learning about composition just get an A9 and this lens and you're the next HCB, Ansel Adams or Irving Penn.

Old 02-26-2019   #25
LCSmith
arbiter elegentiae

Quote:
We have been forced into it by film aficionados who maintain that digital images aren't technically photographs.
No one is forcing anyone, friend; although it is certainly interesting, the abilities of sensors these days not just to write light but to create light, in a way. There may be a few small minded "aficionados" (as you put it) or luddites who may mistakenly argue that good photographs or photographic art cannot be created with a digital camera. I am not one of those. My interest is in how language can shape our thinking about the craft. I think it was Bertrand Russell who put it this way, "Language serves not only to express thoughts, but to make possible thoughts which could not exist without it."

Old 02-26-2019   #26
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Yes, I take your point. That is the general meaning; but notice how cleverly the language has evolved. If we may speak of images, we may also speak of image quality -- and it is only a very small squeak of rationale to equate image quality with the quality of an image. In other words, the quality of an image (in this case, a professional quality image) may be "consumed" by purchasing a lens/camera/sensor which produces higher "image quality". And so, in the mind of the consumer, the end of the photographic endeavor or pursuit is higher or better or more dynamic (I love this word also) image quality, not quality of image -- or maybe the distinction has been "blurred" (pun intended).
That’s a worthwhile distinction.

Old 02-26-2019   #27
JoeV
Thin Air, Bright Sun

Huss on Huff!

Inventor of the Light Pipe Array
My Blog
My latest book

Old 02-26-2019   #28
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
This is really two seperate issues.

The first one is the term "image". When I think of image qualities, they are really things that can apply to any image, from example a microscope image or an X-ray image. Both have contrast, sharpness, etc. The language has evolved from photograph to image when we started to process photographs through more generic image processing software (photoshop is not really a photo editing software, it's an image manipulation software).

The second point, that we can "consume" professional image quality is not new. Every product segment has this phenomena, we are told we can buy into a persona, be it a professional photographer, or a professional cyclist for example (I can buy the bike, shirt, knicks, shoes, etc that Chris Froome won the TdF on, but I'll still be an overweight middle aged amateur - marketing wants me to think otherwise).

Anyway, that's just my 2c.

Old 02-26-2019   #29
zuiko85

"The 50mm lens and metaphysical doubt"

Look it up.

Old 02-26-2019   #30
benlees

Gear? I just use my mind palace...

Old 02-26-2019   #31
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko85 View Post
Alternatively, you can add links into the text so we can just click them!

Old 02-26-2019   #32
Pentode

When my photography sucks I just lower my standards. Works every time.
My photos from 10 years ago are MUCH better than they used to be!

Old 02-26-2019   #33
kuuan
loves old lenses

The specular out-of-focus highlights, specially behind the curly hair lady, look rather ugly and disturbing to me. Strong and weird shaped double even triple outlines, strongly pointed lemon shape a bit disturbing too.
Thank you, I'll stay with my Takumars & Co

when as teenager I had bought my first SLR, Minolta XG1 in the late 70s that already had "A" mode, my older brother explained to me: close the aperture until exposure time hits between 1/100 to 1/60 sec., not longer. Wasn't all that bad of an advice, for a newbie ( got my fill of "bokeh play" later, rather recently, when I got into using old manual lenses on digital )

Old 02-26-2019   #34
Contarama

Sweeney told me to get a fast fifty and worry about the rest later. My photography still sucks but what sage advice

Old 02-26-2019   #35
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.giannakis View Post
I know - I don't get many 'Likes' by using f/5.6...
Hmm. Some of my most "liked" photos were made at f/16. What am I doing wrong?

G

Old 02-27-2019   #36
pgk

Technical excellence is merely a prerequisite, not an end in itself, for professional photography.

Old 02-27-2019   #37
David Hughes
David Hughes

LLLCSmith "That is the general meaning; but notice how cleverly the language has evolved."

I don't think it evolves so much, the word "evolved" implies a gradual and natural change.

Most of the time it is deliberately changed to make us feel silly or on the wrong foot. Salvation lying, of course, in buying something. I mean, who'd buy an apple pie when they could have tarte au pomme? Especially if it came with crème anglaise?

Note the use of a foreign language to add a certain glamour. Ooops, I mean a certain Je ne sais quoi...

The same thing happens with computers, every now and then I realise that I was doing that in the 60's only we didn't call it that.

Regards, David

Old 02-27-2019   #38
Archiver

I can think of any number of instances where I was unable to take decent (by my standards) images given the limitations of the camera. The early 2000s digital cameras were pretty bad for low light and fast action, and it wasn't until I got better gear that I was able to get the kinds of images I wanted. Sure, under some conditions like bright light, slow moving or immobile subjects, I could get decent pictures with the Canon S45 or S70, but outside of that it was pretty hit and miss.

All gear has limitations which govern its optimal performance range. 'Better' gear has a wider performance envelope and therefore makes it easier to create good images under suboptimal circumstances. I'm at a point where my expectations for imagery match the performance of the gear I'm using, but it took a long time and a lot of gear to get there. As my skill increased, I was able to wring more and more performance out of a given camera, but still hit a wall when it reached its limits.

Steve Huff is, however, shilling for Sony gear. His claim is that with this camera and lens, anyone can take a professional looking image. Yeah, no.

Old 02-27-2019   #39
Solinar
Analog Preferred

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Note the use of a foreign language to add a certain glamour. Ooops, I mean a certain Je ne sais quoi...
I might borrow that quote at a future date. In the mean time, I'm more of an apple pie with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream type of person.

Translation: My photography will have to get by with what I already have.

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear a Kodak Retina IIa, a Rollei 35 S, plus an Oly 35RD and a Voigtlander Vito II
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Voigtländer Perkeo II and Bessa II, 2 of them - a ZI Mess Ikonta 524/2 - plus an Agfa Super Isolette & a Record III
Digital a D300 and a D700 with some primes - still going over a decade later

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Old 02-27-2019   #40
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiver View Post
Steve Huff is, however, shilling for Sony gear. His claim is that with this camera and lens, anyone can take a professional looking image. Yeah, no.
Well, certainly anyone CAN take a professional looking image with this lens (and with some skill of course)... but maybe it was implied that everyone WILL take a professional looking image if they have this lens (and not anything else). Just point it at anything and it makes a magical image.