New Leica M240 is 4.5 years old
Old 02-11-2019   #1
Gid

New Leica M240 is 4.5 years old

Hi,

Just bought a new Leica M240 from a major UK dealer in their "sale". The price is good, but the camera manufacture date is September 2014. In addition either the battery or charger (or both) is not working so I can't use the camera. Any opinions on the impact of the age of the camera on its longevity? The dud battery isn't a good sign and the dealer didn't mention the age of the camera.

My Top Ten

Gid

Old 02-11-2019   #2
CharlesDAMorgan

Umm, it's not secondhand, but I would prefer the term new old stock. If the battery/charger doesn't work I would suggest you either return the whole lot or ask for a replacement.

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.

Old 02-12-2019   #3
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gid View Post
Hi,

Just bought a new Leica M240 from a major UK dealer in their "sale". The price is good, but the camera manufacture date is September 2014. In addition either the battery or charger (or both) is not working so I can't use the camera. Any opinions on the impact of the age of the camera on its longevity? The dud battery isn't a good sign and the dealer didn't mention the age of the camera.
You didn't know this before the purchase? Even the most basic research on Leica cameras would show that the M240 is not a current model.

Old 02-12-2019   #4
John Lawrence

Quote:
Hi,

By a strange coincidence, I've just purchased an M240 as my first digital Leica.

The only advice I can give is that I seem to remember reading somewhere (possibly in the back of the manual) that the expected battery life is around 4 years.

I should add though that I'm not knowledgeable at all about digital cameras, and I've yet to use my 240 - I didn't even know I had to buy an SD Card!!!!

John

Old 02-12-2019   #5
Godfrey
somewhat colored

So you bought a NOS camera and the battery is bad. That's likely from sitting in the box for several years ... batteries *always* need to be maintained.

Go back to the dealer and tell them to give you a new battery in exchange for the one they supplied with the camera. If they won't, return the camera and go buy from a reputable dealer.

Oh: and the next time you buy a camera, check that the battery is good.
Cameras don't go bad by just sitting in their box on the shelf.

G

Old 02-12-2019   #6
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lawrence View Post

The only advice I can give is that I seem to remember reading somewhere (possibly in the back of the manual) that the expected battery life is around 4 years.

John
John,

I have my original battery and several others for my original Monochrom. All are doing well. I bought a second battery as a spare, and a friend from the NYC Meet-Up gifted me one of his old M9 batteries he had laying around. One of these batteries could be first M9 old and well over 5 years old. Two are at least 5 years old.

I learned from on this forum that deep cycling is bad, overcharging is bad, and that batteries like to be maintained between 40% and 80% of full charge for longest life. Full charge for long term storage is not recommended.

Interesting to note that my SL charger has an 80% light. With the SL I don't have a spare battery, and the now 4 year old battery is still running strong.

Cal

Old 02-12-2019   #7
John Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
John,

I have my original battery and several others for my original Monochrom. All are doing well. I bought a second battery as a spare, and a friend from the NYC Meet-Up gifted me one of his old M9 batteries he had laying around. One of these batteries could be first M9 old and well over 5 years old. Two are at least 5 years old.

I learned from on this forum that deep cycling is bad, overcharging is bad, and that batteries like to be maintained between 40% and 80% of full charge for longest life. Full charge for long term storage is not recommended.

Interesting to note that my SL charger has an 80% light. With the SL I don't have a spare battery, and the now 4 year old battery is still running strong.

Cal
Thanks Cal.

As I'm new to these things, it's always good to get information like this.

John

Old 02-12-2019   #8
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lawrence View Post
Thanks Cal.

As I'm new to these things, it's always good to get information like this.

John
John,

Only passing on what I learned here. Thank the forum.

Cal

Old 02-12-2019   #9
Gid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
You didnt know this before the purchase? Even the most basic research on Leica cameras would show that the M240 is not a current model.
Well, I did my research. New M240s are still being sold in the UK and have only recently come off of the Leica site. They had been available alongside the M240P which is still available new. The M10 came out in 2017 so I might reasonably expect a new M240 to be dated to 2016/17.

Cheers

My Top Ten

Gid

Old 02-12-2019   #10
Gid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
So you bought a NOS camera and the battery is bad. That's likely from sitting in the box for several years ... batteries *always* need to be maintained.

Go back to the dealer and tell them to give you a new battery in exchange for the one they supplied with the camera. If they won't, return the camera and go buy from a reputable dealer.

Oh: and the next time you buy a camera, check that the battery is good.
Cameras don't go bad by just sitting in their box on the shelf.

G
No, I bought a new camera that turns out to be NOS. It is difficult to check the battery from a sealed box before buying online and if I had known it was NOS I would have asked more questions.

Cheers

My Top Ten

Gid

Old 02-12-2019   #11
Huss

first off, congrats! excellent camera.
when u plug in the charger and insert the battery, does a charging light come on? if not it may just be the charger that is bad. when i bought my M-E the charger was defective out of the box and this was a new current model camera at that time.

Old 02-12-2019   #12
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
No, I bought a new camera that turns out to be NOS. It is difficult to check the battery from a sealed box before buying online and if I had known it was NOS I would have asked more questions.
Well, the M typ 240 is still a current model available on the Leica website for sale. Whether they've closed the production line or not is what determines whether it's considered NOS, and the production line might be closed, but even that isn't the issue. Even the biggest selling Leica M is a relatively limited production camera made in modest batches, and "new" just means that the camera is in a box that has not been opened since it left the factory. When it was built and packaged is mostly unimportant—except for the battery.

A battery sitting in a box for four years after packaging could be dead and/or the charger might not be working correctly. A good dealer will sort that out for you. You're right: You cannot test the battery beforehand on a mail order purchase. Dealers should always accommodate that when something is amiss.

I've never seen a new camera go bad from sitting in the box unless the battery was in it and was leaking or corroding the camera's innards. So I wouldn't worry about the camera too much...

G

Old 02-12-2019   #13
35photo

My 10 yr old M9 battery is still running strong! Purchased the camera used 5 years ago from a dealer... The only issue I had was with the sensor which was replaced by Leica free of charge other than that the old dinosaur runs like a champ! M240 should last you a very long time I suspect...

Old 02-12-2019   #14
micromontenegro

My age-old, original M8 battery was still running strong when the shutter gave up the ghost about a month ago.

Old 02-12-2019   #15
Gid

The dealer is organising a new charger and battery which he will test before sending to me. Hopefully all will be well.

The irony is that I bought a new camera because I'd problems with two second hand ones I bought.

My Top Ten

Gid

Old 02-14-2019   #16
Gid

Update: New battery and charger received (battery fully charged). All tested and good to go. Time to get reaquainted with RF photography.

My Top Ten

Gid

Old 02-14-2019   #17
CharlesDAMorgan

Good news! I'm sure it will give you great service.

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.

Old 02-14-2019   #18
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Update: New battery and charger received (battery fully charged). All tested and good to go. Time to get reaquainted with RF photography.
Great to hear that. Enjoy your new camera!

G

Old 02-14-2019   #19
raid
Dad Photographer

Congrats on getting a Leica M240. Now you also have new battery & charger!

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 02-14-2019   #20
Gid

Thanks to all.

My Top Ten

Gid

Old 02-14-2019   #21
Archiver

Congrats on the new camera! Hope it goes well for you!