Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Don at DAG camera >>>2019
Old 01-15-2019   #1
chaospress

Don at DAG camera >>>2019

Has anyone been in touch with Don at DAG camera within the past week or two?

He received my M7 Nov 27 for a possible shutter issue he said he thought would probably be minor. I emailed him several days ago to ask if he had an idea when it would be done. Emailed him again yesterday still no reply…. He's usually very good at responding within a day.

His work is top notch, no question. Just wondering if anyone has been in contact with him lately.

Thanks

Old 01-15-2019   #2
Mackinaw
Think Different

Forget email, call him.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 01-15-2019   #3
wjlapier

Hard to say why he replies sometimes and other's doesn't. I sent him my Leica CL to have the meter fixed and adjusted for modern battery. He replied to my couple of emails I sent.

Old 01-15-2019   #4
chaospress

Jim, I'll give it a couple days more and then call him. Actually didn't know his phone number was posted anywhere but I see now it's on his DAG camera parts website.

Old 01-15-2019   #5
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Don is very busy all the time. Currently he has 6 of my lenses to work on. He replied to most of my emails during the past one month.

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

https://www.instagram.com/kevinxbegin/

Old 01-16-2019   #6
presspass
filmshooter

Maybe he has time to work on cameras and lenses or answer emails.

Old 01-16-2019   #7
jamin-b

I had a CL overhaul and meter fix with him last year . it took a *lot* longer than planned and his communications were erratic, but I got back a fully functional, basically as new camera. My impression is he's a straightshooter, maybe old school when it comes to emails, but it's worth taking the long view, letting him do his thing at his pace and enjoying the results.

Old 01-16-2019   #8
wjlapier

Re: the CL. He told me he's been repairing them since 1975 and they always needed the meter, RF, and shutter adjusted. Mine shoots fine but I'd like to have the meter fixed to use modern batteries for those times I'm not shooting sunny 16.

Old 01-16-2019   #9
splitimageview

lots of threads like these over the years if you do a search.

no worries, DAG is the best, and since this is well-known, he has a never ending pile of repairs in front of him.

Old 01-16-2019   #10
goamules

Yep, DAG gets all my lens and RF body business.

Old 01-16-2019   #11
Beemermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by presspass View Post
Maybe he has time to work on cameras and lenses or answer emails.
I've used Don for decades. Some times he will not respond - I assume he is very busy. Other times (rare) we'll shoot the breeze for quite awhile. i assume he doesn't have much work or he just needs a break. if you have a full time job (I used to) you can spend all day answering emails or ignore 95% of them and get something useful done. When you send an email asking when or camera will be done what is he going to answer? "I don't know", "soon", "maybe in 6 months'. He'll probably just ignore it unless you trying to communicate something really important.
see http://peopleprocessandprofit.com/20...-ignoring-you/

Old 01-16-2019   #12
Photon42
burn the box

Sover Wong (F2s only) seems to be the complete opposite. He tells you exactly when to ship it, so gear does not pile up too much on his end. And when "your" slot is up, he is incredibly transparent in what he does. I guess I need another F2 serviced some time

Old 01-16-2019   #13
splitimageview

Sover is amazing, with full documentation and photos. Although he only works on one model, DAG works on a much larger variety. He's also old-school, he's been at this for what, over 40 years? Well before email and the internet.

Old 01-16-2019   #14
Larry Cloetta

There is definitely a sure thing successful name your price career opportunity available for any young person who wanted to do Leica repairs, if they were good at it. It’s the getting good at it which will take years, which most people are not willing to put in, and the few who are currently good at it are so busy it makes no sense from their standpoint to train someone.

Bob Watkins at Precision has an apprentice he’s trying to train to do Linhof repairs, but that’s unusual, and I don’t know how he has structured it.

As a client, I think Sover’s model is ideal. I had to wait in line for 8 months, but when I got to the front of the line it was as efficient and timely as anyone could ask for and there were no surprises, and no one has ever asked “where’s Sover?” on an Internet forum as far as I’ve ever seen. Everybody else, you send it in and tend to wait in the netherworld for an indeterminate time, more or less in the dark. And keeping them on the phone or typing email responses just slows it down for everyone. If they are typing or talking, they are not working.
DAG does great work, but he’s overworked and he doesn’t do it in the order it came in. When you are doing piecework, and are overbooked, with cases piled up all over your work area, it is easy for things to get out of control, especially when there is no actual appointment book with due dates in it. I’m sure he does his best, but some of this is too much for one person to handle if you just let everybody send things in whenever they feel like it.

Old 01-16-2019   #15
Deardorff38

I agree Larry C. Don G has done impeccable work for me & remains my number one choice. I always phone and then send an email followup. Also, the December/January period is in general an incredibly busy time....so I try to avoid it whenever I can.....for anything....purchases, repairs.

Old 01-18-2019   #16
chaospress

Yes, I know I know I know.

I love Don's work and that's why he's got my camera now. I never send anything to him without communicating with him first, and one time last year he did tell me he was too busy to take on something. This time he told me to send it.

I expect as well that he's busy and we're just past the holiday as well. I don't see anything wrong though with asking if anyone had been in contact with him, so thanks Kevin for letting me know you've been in contact with him.

I do wonder what his procedure would be for getting equipment back to people if something happened to him- heaven forbid. I assume he has some kind of assistance- a wife or other family member, or secretary or something.

I finally got around to calling today and the line is busy, so I'll just wait it out for now.

Old 01-18-2019   #17
chaospress

Re Sover:

Haven't had him do any work for me but yes, he was great communicating with me quite a few times when I was looking into getting an F2, a camera I've had a few years now and only occasionally use but will keep forever.

Old 01-18-2019   #18
helenhill
Chasing Shadows ... Light

Spoke with Don about a week and a half ago...

He seemed upbeat, happy to hear from me, since we had not spoken in sometime.

Old 01-18-2019   #19
wjlapier

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post

I’d be happy and upbeat too, Helen!

Old 01-18-2019   #20
Hogarth Ferguson

Wait wait wait...you can update the Leica Cl to take modern batteries for the meter?

Old 01-18-2019   #21
Mephiloco

If you have six months to go without your gear and are ok with no updates, Don is the best.

Otherwise....

Old 01-19-2019   #22
roscoetuff

I've used Youxin Ye for a M4-2 CLA and DAG for an M6. DAG does meters; Youxin does not. DAG did a good job. But he gets so many email inquiries, email is a distraction he is less involved with. Definitely: CALL him. FWIW, I had shipped my camera to him in its case, and he kept thinking it was an empty case. This confused him, and he deferred and deferred the job thinking the case was empty. He wasn't happy with me 'cause it hurt his target turnaround - which I get. Packing this way DID assure a safe arrival, and he is the only one who had a problem with it. Yet it is a very safe way to ship and most repair guys have actually said a very secure way to go about it.

When we sorted through this, he expedited the repair and it was home and shooting VERY quickly. He does 1st class work. BUT CALL. We are too passive when we email and wait. The generation that repairs these things is NOT the email generation, and they get so many worthless, idle inquiries

"Go out looking for one thing, and that's all you'll ever find." Robert J. Flaherty, Cinematographer
"If a day goes by without my doing something related to photography, it's as though I've neglected something essential to my existence, as though I had forgotten to wake up." Richard Avedon, Photographer
“There’s nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.” Ansel Adams

Old 01-20-2019   #23
chaospress

Sheesh, if it takes 4 more months guess I'll have to live with the 28 on my M4 for awhile instead of the .58 M7 viewfinder… Oh well.

Maybe in my initial email to him on the M7 I shouldn't have reminded him that he had just done a CLA on my M4!

Old 01-20-2019   #24
Beemermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post

Helen, who wouldn't be upbeat to hear from you -

Old 02-06-2019   #25
chaospress

Update:

So I decided to try a call again just now after 2 weeks ago when I got a busy signal, and Don answered this time. He said he's been really busy and didn't realize he'd had my camera since Nov 27th. I said I understood and he said he'd go ahead and work on it now. Told him I appreciated the work he's done for me in the past and that it's been really great. He thanked me for that.

Looking forward to hopefully getting the M7 back in the next few weeks or sooner!

Old 02-06-2019   #26
helenhill
Chasing Shadows ... Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjlapier View Post
I’d be happy and upbeat too, Helen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemermark View Post
Helen, who wouldn't be upbeat to hear from you -
Hah, very kind, Thank You WIlliam & ‘beemermark’...made me Giggle

and then I felt guilty thimking how long Don and I spoke on the phone

Old 02-06-2019   #27
Moto-Uno
Moto-Uno

^ Is that called rubbing it in ? Peter

Old 02-06-2019   #28
chaospress

Update 2:

After talking to Don Wednesday morning, got an email from him earlier tonight saying the M7 is done! So he did the work today, and it's coming back home, I'm sure good as new!

.58 viewfinder, welcome back soon!