Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Photogs / Photo Exhibits

Photogs / Photo Exhibits This is the place to discuss a particular Photographer (work, style, life, whatever), as well as to post Gallery and Museum Photo Exhibitions and your own impressions of them. As we march on in this new digital world, it is often too easy to forget about the visual importance of the photographic print, as well as their financial importance to the photographer. It is also interesting to remember that some guy named Gene Smith shot with lenses that many lens test reading "never had a picture published in their life" amateurs would turn up their their noses at, as being "unacceptable."

Don McCullin - Tate Britain Exhibition
Old 02-04-2019   #1
Brian Atherton

Don McCullin - Tate Britain Exhibition

A head's-up for those in the UK:

https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...pective-review

"Maintenant, mon ami !"
http://www.asingulareye.wordpress.com

Old 02-04-2019   #2
kuvvy

Nice. He’s on bbc4 at 21.00 tonight.

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 02-04-2019   #3
FrozenInTime

Really enjoyed that program.
Great sympathetic reportage contrasting today’s England with his past work.
Very good film and darkroom content.
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 02-04-2019   #4
helenhill
Chasing Shadows ... Light

Wish I could see the Tate exhibit...
But I did watch BBC four tonight
Loved it...

Enjoyed listening to his stories going back to see his chilhood home, watching him shoot his Mamiya, Canon dslr, and his conversations in the midst of shooting
Glad to see him.enjoying his 'Life'
High on a different adrenaline

Old 02-05-2019   #5
FujiLove

Haven't watched it yet, but for anyone in the UK, here's the documentary on iPlayer: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...ng-for-england

Old 02-05-2019   #6
helenhill

At the end of the film Don was shooting on the Beach with a big heavy film camera...said he had gone thru four of them in his Life ...What camera is that ?

Old 02-05-2019   #7
Flat Twin
Film Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
At the end of the film Don was shooting on the Beach with a big heavy film camera...said he had gone thru four of them in his Life ...What camera is that ?

Hi Helen,

He was using a Mamiya Press, I think it is the Universal model. He has indeed used these cameras for years. I have pictures of him and TV programs, going back years and quite often he is shown with this camera. In one recent BBC program he went back to Palmyra and was shooting with the same camera. Usually he has a 6x9 back on it...

Simon

Old 02-05-2019   #8
John Lawrence

Just to chime in and say what a very good documentary this was.

Well worth watching.

John

Old 02-05-2019   #9
helenhill

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Twin View Post
Hi Helen,

He was using a Mamiya Press, I think it is the Universal model. He has indeed used these cameras for years. I have pictures of him and TV programs, going back years and quite often he is shown with this camera. In one recent BBC program he went back to Palmyra and was shooting with the same camera. Usually he has a 6x9 back on it...
Simon
Ah, Cool, Thamk You Simon !

Old 02-12-2019   #10
Guy Pinhas

The show was amazing. His conflict work is of course tremendous but what really hit me, and hit me real hard, is/was his portrayal of the UK. That was absolutely amazing. Whenever I am in London I always stay in the East End: Whitechapel, Hackney, Aldgate etc as that where I first went with my dad when I was a kid and I just got attached to it. The way he shot that part of London? Words fail me. And pretty much how his shot the rest of England and of course, The Troubles.

EDIT: There is a mention that the those East London neighborhoods have changed, and of course they have. Time and gentrification took care of that, but having just spent a long weekend there, the poverty and misery is visible again and I think that in a recent docu on the Beeb you could see Don Mccullin still shooting and talking to down and out folks. Don Mccullin, to me, is the real deal!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tech.jpg (23.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg uk.jpg (52.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg helmet.jpg (29.4 KB, 4 views)