Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Old 04-07-2018   #281
maigo

Regrets? I have a few...

How about every single camera I bought in "used, as-is, mint++++, parts/repair, estate sale" condition that I thought I would have or make time to test and fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-19-2019   #282
RObert Budding

Contax T2. Small and compact, excellent lense, but it would leak light on start-up around the lens mount. Ken Ruth couldn't figure out how to fix it, so I sold it - with the problem disclosed (too bad the RFF member who sold it to me didn't do the same!).

"He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he's wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he's right."
~ Bob Dylan

Old 01-19-2019   #283
6x7

I bought 5 used R-Leicas. R3 (2x), R7 (2x) and R8. All of them were faulty, either mechanically or electronically. Three of them were sold by local dealers. Failure rate 100% - nothing more to say.

Old 01-19-2019   #284
CharlesDAMorgan

Really no major disappointments but I find my Zeiss Super Ikonta folder lacking in joy to use, the Xa3 to be a bit plasticky and my Intrepid 4x5 to be a bit too fiddly for my clumsy hands.

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.

Wait, what?
Old 01-19-2019   #285
scottgee1
RF renegade

Question Wait, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Jenkins View Post
C-series Hasselblads are wonderful, precise photographic instruments. I used them for more than 15 years and could never focus the suckers precisely, no matter what screens or focusing aids I used.
They're "wonderful, precise photographic instruments" but you "could never focus the suckers precisely"? Seems contradictory. And despite this you used them for 15 years??

You're WAY more patient than I.

Old 01-19-2019   #286
Ronald M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE1951 View Post
Mamiya 645, and Mamiya c330, Mamiya RB67. Could never get into medium format. It just seemed a clunky compromise between my prefered 35mm Nikon/Leica and 4x5 Sinar.

Just my opinion, I know others will disagree, and more power to ya if you enjoy it.
Agreed Leica 35 or 4x5. The cameras you listed are for portrait work and lenses are not super sharp. The only 35 mm Japanese lenses that work fairly well are Nikon, and not the kit lenses that come with consumer cameras.

I have seen some nice monochrome from later Hasselblad and Rollie SLR , but no personnel experience.

Old 01-19-2019   #287
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald M View Post
Agreed Leica 35 or 4x5. The cameras you listed are for portrait work and lenses are not super sharp. The only 35 mm Japanese lenses that work fairly well are Nikon, and not the kit lenses that come with consumer cameras.
Do you really believe such nonsense?

Old 01-19-2019   #288
dtcls100

Canon A-1. The Canon A-1 is very gimmicky, long on distracting flashing red lights and multiple AE modes, while short on real useability, such as not having any metered manual mode, and having a very stiff shutter release, and that horrifying Canon A-series "squeal." The plasticky feeling Canon FD lenses also were none too appealing.

Pentax MX. I really wanted to like this one, as the idea of having a small camera like my beloved OM-1 cameras, but with more advanced Gallium metering cells made the MX seem appealing. However, I found that the MX's shutter action is very unrefined compared to the OM-1, having a good deal of harsh, undampened vibration and being a good deal noisier.

On a more positive note, I just got a new to me black Nikon F2A. Always wanted to try one, but wasn't sure it would live up to the hype. The F2A I received looks almost new, is very clean and smooth, and its meter readings seem spot on. I always thought it was a very large camera and was somewhat surprised to see that it is noticeably smaller than a Nikon d750 (a modestly sized DSLR), although the F2A feels quite dense, and that the F2A has very little vibration to go along with its wonderfully crisp shutter release and shutter sound.

Old 01-19-2019   #289
Richard G

Perhaps only the dimness of my Automat focussing screen. Otherwise I love the Rollei and have film in it now. No complaint about all my Leicas and lenses, the Zeiss lenses, my Hasselblad, Pentax Spotmatic, OM2n, Coolpix 4500, Konica AF. Actually the rough focus on a sweet little Rollei 40 2.8 made me send that back.

Old 01-20-2019   #290
jsrockit

Anything m43.

Old 01-20-2019   #291
littleearth

The Contax T2 ! Big, heavy, expensive and the results were just ok. The Canon 40mm pancake gives me very similar results, and the small EOS film bodies have better AF and viewfinders.
I much prefer the TVS III that I've been shooting, that one actually fits in my pocket and the zoom makes it very versatile as a travelling camera.

Old 01-20-2019   #292
kram

Fuji DL super mini. Brought new . Wished I had got the Yashica T5 ( had a T4 but lost it). OR KNEW THE GR1 was about to be released. Lens over hyped, wife's sureshot zoom just as good or better. Time to take photo after shutter pressed toooooooo long, auto focus played up.
Vivatar 75-300MM F5.6 LENS. Nice build, great handling, poor images at all aleragutex apart from f16/22.
Nikon F2as. Finder blind lever digs into eyebrow, really anoying, so sold it. Use a F2s instead.

Old 01-20-2019   #293
steveyork

Shot film Leicas in both the M and R mounts exclusively for almost two decades, but I now feel that virtually anything Leica is overhyped, overpriced, when compared with the availability and cost of similar products from other makers.

I don't criticize anyone for shooting a M Leica -- they have a strong fraternity, excellent resale, and outstanding modern optics from the three manufacturers -- and I'm a big believer that the "best camera" is the one you want to use, no matter costs, because 10 pictures with a Leica is better then zero with something else. But for me, over time, I've come to the conclusion that Leicas are really not worth it. Still own an M3 and a couple Leicaflex SL though.

Here some others --

Nikon F & F2 with meter -- Too big and clunky. Do like the eye-level prisms.

Contarex Bullseye -- a beast when I got it, remained a beast when I used it, and a beast when I sold it. It's a camera that requires you to adjust to it.

Canon L1/Contax II (Kieve II)/Nikon S2 -- chews up eyeglasses unless precautions taken (e.g., corn plasters). Same with the later models of the Contarex.

Topcon R -- Great lenses but funky controls

Leicaflex SL2 -- Unreliable high shutter speeds. Some repair techs will tell you it is a design defect (e.g., Sherry Krauter), while others (DAG) will claim that a CLA fixes.

Old 01-20-2019   #294
goamules

Petri rangefinders.

Old 01-20-2019   #295
seagrove
Rich

Back around the end of last century, I had made a "late in life" career change leaving engineering/program management to make my way as a newspaper/documentary shooter. At the time I was using a pair of Olympus OM-4T bodies. I felt my sports shots were lacking as the winders on the Olys only did 3 fps. So I bought a used Nikon F4S to make the jump to autofocus. The camera turned out to be a bust. I sold it for what I paid after two weeks and picked up a pair of Nikon F100 bodies with the MB-15 drives. I used those bodies for a year or so before moving into Nikon digital. The F4S was a true disappointment for me as I could do better manually focusing with my Olys.

Old 01-20-2019   #296
dtcls100

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleearth View Post
The Contax T2 ! Big, heavy, expensive and the results were just ok. The Canon 40mm pancake gives me very similar results, and the small EOS film bodies have better AF and viewfinders.
I much prefer the TVS III that I've been shooting, that one actually fits in my pocket and the zoom makes it very versatile as a travelling camera.
Do you mean the G2? The T2 is a compact, upscale P&S. It is fairly small and light and I carried one around in a small case attached to my belt for over 20 years as my go anywhere camera. Also has an incredible Zeiss lens. Still have it. The EOS film bodies dwarf the T2 in size!

Old 01-20-2019   #297
blan01

1.Hasselblad H system: AF is Ok, better than the contax, but I don't enjoy the whole user experience. Lenses are good but too clinical, I miss the look from Zeiss. More importantly, hasselblad also decided to put plastic gear in HC 100mm which led to an expensive service, and I think I can assume that there are plastic gear in other HC lenses. In addition, V system holds value much better than the H system.

2.Fuji xpro and x100 serious: They are not rangefinders.... and I didn't enjoy focus by wire.

Old 01-20-2019   #298
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Leica digital. When it didn't work. Ok, so the reliability of Leica was out the window with my old M8 and M9. No clue how they are now, nor do I care. My M4 survived hell with me so that's reliable enough. I'm sure most of the rest of my gear could do it as well.
Really, that's it. Hype over reliability.

Phil Forrest

Old 01-20-2019   #299
littleearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcls100 View Post
Do you mean the G2? The T2 is a compact, upscale P&S. It is fairly small and light and I carried one around in a small case attached to my belt for over 20 years as my go anywhere camera. Also has an incredible Zeiss lens. Still have it. The EOS film bodies dwarf the T2 in size!
No, I mean the Contax T2. It's bigger than my Yashica and TVS III.
I carry P&S cameras in my pocket only and the T2 was too big. If I'm going to carry a bag or case, I'd rather shoot something else.
Also didn't like the fact that you can't choose f2.8 in Aperture priority mode. But the lens is indeed very nice.

Old 01-20-2019   #300
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSebastianMoran View Post
What HASN'T worked for me is bigger camera seeking higher quality. They just simply don't get carried out of the house. Should have learned the lesson, but have repeated:
After a recent dalliance into Hasselblad 500 land, I agree. Loved the images, just didn't take it with me because it was so cumbersome. But then I think that is really just a disappointment in myself rather than the camera. The camera was faultless, I on the other hand...

Hasselblad 500CM
Old 01-20-2019   #301
DMA1965

Hasselblad 500CM

I longed for a Hasselblad 500CM in the 1980s and 1990s, when you had to mortgage your soul to own a 1 lens kit. I finally got one a few years ago, and a brace of lenses. It was just not at all what I expected. Everything weighs a ton, and the massive mirror means that handheld shots at less than 1/125 of a second suffer from camera shake. The camera is very cantankerous. You have to remember all the weird rules about winding when changing lenses and pulling out dark slides and the list goes on. Once I got a Rolleiflex and a Mamiya 7ii I realized that medium format did not need to be painful.

Old 01-20-2019   #302
Bingley

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.giannakis View Post
The Olympus Trip. Shot a film with one, just an average camera, never got it why it has such a big fan club.
This^^^^. Saw lots of great photos on Flickr and Instagram with the Trip, so I got one from Tripman in the UK. Can’t seem to focus the thing correctly. I don’t have this problem with m Rollei 35s. The Oly XA is an infinitely superior camera IMO.

FS: Zeiss-ZM Planar 50 plus hood, Pentax MX, Voigtlander Ultron 40/2.0 SLII in Pentax K-mount, Takumar 100/2.8 and 35/3.5 lenses: See my ads in Classifieds

M3, M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

disapointment/overated kit
Old 01-20-2019   #303
PunkFunkDunk

After a year of feverish buying and selling I feel I have something to offer in this thread that also surprised me (the difference between projections after reading online reviews and real world perceptions and preferences).

Nikon F3:
Would love to love it as the best bare bones aperture priority SLR but ... that bloody LCD meter has to be the worst design misstep in camera history. Not only impossible to read quickly, destined to dim or die and unrepairable.

Nikon FM and FE series:
Toy like build. My Canon AE-1 feels better made. The pull-out film was advance lever as on/off switch for meter and shutter is the pits. I think my forehead still has bruises. Awful viewfinders, dark and lack of choice in focus screens. The F2 on the other hand reigns here, but oh, the bulbous heads. How Canon could put a light meter in the body with the F1 (1971) and Nikon could not is beyond me. Ditto what others have said here: Nikkor glass is uninspiring. And big form factors compared to FD or whatever. Owned the wonderful CV 40mm f/2 pancake and would have loved to find a body I could accept for it, but accepted Nikon not for me after much trial and patience.

Pentax SMC 67 55mm f/4:
Perfectly fine IQ but shotgun-like form factor on the already beastly 67. Plus o realised too late that I have no desire to shoot wide angle on the 67, just portraits with the 105mm. Sold it for what I paid for it.

Canon P / Canon L1:
Got really excited about affordable mechanical RF purity (and sexy for the P) with opportunity to fit with some great Canon LTM glass. But then ... no. It all just reminded me of the Leica M feel I was missing.

Billingham bags:
Lovely quality. But screams: steal me. My $5 back pack works well.

Fuji 6x9:
There is a reason why children think you are a clown. Useless for portraits.

Zeiss 35mm f/2.8 ZM:
Say whatever you want, compared shot for shot with the Color Skopar. Could see no difference whatsoever. Bigger. Slower. More expensive. Unnecessary third stop detents. No tab. No thanks.

M6 classic silver:
Looks so great on Instagram. Ah, ****. Black is so much better! Silver chrome nothing like my (now sold) M2 brass, obviously. But was not prepared for how shiny it was and therefore not discreet. Flipped it for a colour exchange. Holding both in each hand, the silver looks bigger. Confirmation bias at work!

Kit items I sold and regret:

CV 35/2.5 Color-Skopar:
Bought another. On its way!

Canon F1 original (1971):
For me, the best mechanical SLR ever. But gave up on SLRs for 35mm.

Leica M2:
My baby. Where are you? Hopefully we shall meet again one day.

Old 01-21-2019   #304
lxmike
Barnack fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkFunkDunk View Post
After a year of feverish buying and selling I feel I have something to offer in this thread that also surprised me (the difference between projections after reading online reviews and real world perceptions and preferences).

Nikon F3:
Would love to love it as the best bare bones aperture priority SLR but ... that bloody LCD meter has to be the worst design misstep in camera history. Not only impossible to read quickly, destined to dim or die and unrepairable.

Nikon FM and FE series:
Toy like build. My Canon AE-1 feels better made. The pull-out film was advance lever as on/off switch for meter and shutter is the pits. I think my forehead still has bruises. Awful viewfinders, dark and lack of choice in focus screens. The F2 on the other hand reigns here, but oh, the bulbous heads. How Canon could put a light meter in the body with the F1 (1971) and Nikon could not is beyond me. Ditto what others have said here: Nikkor glass is uninspiring. And big form factors compared to FD or whatever. Owned the wonderful CV 40mm f/2 pancake and would have loved to find a body I could accept for it, but accepted Nikon not for me after much trial and patience.

Pentax SMC 67 55mm f/4:
Perfectly fine IQ but shotgun-like form factor on the already beastly 67. Plus o realised too late that I have no desire to shoot wide angle on the 67, just portraits with the 105mm. Sold it for what I paid for it.

Canon P / Canon L1:
Got really excited about affordable mechanical RF purity (and sexy for the P) with opportunity to fit with some great Canon LTM glass. But then ... no. It all just reminded me of the Leica M feel I was missing.

Billingham bags:

Fuji 6x9:

Zeiss 35mm f/2.8 ZM:
Say whatever you want, compared shot for shot with the Color Skopar. Could see no difference whatsoever. Bigger. Slower. More expensive. Unnecessary third stop detents. No tab. No thanks.

M6 classic silver:
Looks so great on Instagram. Ah, ****. Black is so much better! Silver chrome nothing like my (now sold) M2 brass, obviously. But was not prepared for how shiny it was and therefore not discreet. Flipped it for a colour exchange. Holding both in each hand, the silver looks bigger. Confirmation bias at work!

CV 35/2.5 Color-Skopar:

Leica M2:
what a great post, likewise l regret selling my M2

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar

Soon to arrive Leica MDa

myblog:lifefromawindow

Old 01-21-2019   #305
Michael Markey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcls100 View Post
Pentax MX. I really wanted to like this one, as the idea of having a small camera like my beloved OM-1 cameras, but with more advanced Gallium metering cells made the MX seem appealing. However, I found that the MX's shutter action is very unrefined compared to the OM-1, having a good deal of harsh, undampened vibration and being a good deal noisier.
Yep , me as well.
Had two sold two.

I prefer the ME.

Old 01-21-2019   #306
Pistach
Dilettante artist

In 2006 I bought a black Pentax KX in excellent shape with two lenses, out of curiosity (I never had a Pentax before) and because it is beautiful and has good specs, .
I took it on a trip to Ischia, where I went in a failed attempt to improve my aching junctures, along with a Nikon F with the maligned 50 1,4 ZF.
The photos made with the Nikon came out nice, those I made with the Pentax ugly.
Of course it is me: definitely I am not a Pentaxian
Ever since I tried to sell the KX and its lenses but I failed

Old 01-21-2019   #307
Pistach
Dilettante artist

I very much appreciate the anti GAS pills coming from this thread.
It will help me not to waste more money, making other mistakes, like the one of the Pentax KX

Old 01-21-2019   #308
mani

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMA1965 View Post
Everything weighs a ton, and the massive mirror means that handheld shots at less than 1/125 of a second suffer from camera shake. The camera is very cantankerous. You have to remember all the weird rules about winding when changing lenses and pulling out dark slides and the list goes on.
Exactly all of this. I really hated the 500CM, and wasted enormous amounts of money on the system trying to like it. I bought an entire kit in really nice condition from the States, but found it clunky and noisy. The camera shake was appalling.

I sold it all at a hefty discount, and when I got the chance to buy new-old stock - everything new-in-box - I paid over the odds again, thinking the new camera would be a lot smoother. It was exactly the same heavy, clumsy, clunky box of noise.

The lenses rendered beautifully, though - the few times I could be bothered to use it.

Old 01-21-2019   #309
jamin-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by kram View Post
Fuji DL super mini. Brought new . Wished I had got the Yashica T5 ( had a T4 but lost it). OR KNEW THE GR1 was about to be released. Lens over hyped, wife's sureshot zoom just as good or better. Time to take photo after shutter pressed toooooooo long, auto focus played up.
Vivatar 75-300MM F5.6 LENS. Nice build, great handling, poor images at all aleragutex apart from f16/22.
Nikon F2as. Finder blind lever digs into eyebrow, really anoying, so sold it. Use a F2s instead.
Really???!! The tiny Fuji DL has been one of my happy surprises. It's so light and tiny I always take it on vacation as an extra film camera and I have so many keepers from it. In comparison the Leica Minilux is the gorgeous girl I want to but never seem to fall in love with...
Goes to show, different strokes for different folks....

Old 01-21-2019   #310
Sumarongi
Registered Vaudevillain

Quote:
Nikon FM and FE series:
Toy like build. My Canon AE-1 feels better made. The pull-out film was advance lever as on/off switch for meter and shutter is the pits. I think my forehead still has bruises. Awful viewfinders, dark and lack of choice in focus screens. The F2 on the other hand reigns here, but oh, the bulbous heads. How Canon could put a light meter in the body with the F1 (1971) and Nikon could not is beyond me. ...
Ha, I always had an antipathy to the Nikon FM2n, to be specific since I was in high school --- one of the nastiest of my school mates got an FM2n, and it took me really really long time until I was prepared to try a Nikon SLR!

Old 01-21-2019   #311
RObert Budding

Quote:

Nikon F3:

Nikon FM and FE series:

Pentax SMC 67 55mm f/4:

Canon P / Canon L1:

Billingham bags:

Fuji 6x9:

Zeiss 35mm f/2.8 ZM:

M6 classic silver:

CV 35/2.5 Color-Skopar:

Leica M2:
Yikes! You've gone through a lot of gear. Maybe there is no silver bullet. Or maybe the perfect camera is still out there, waiting to be discovered.

"He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he's wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he's right."
~ Bob Dylan

Old 01-21-2019   #312
kshapero
Press the Shutter

The Olympus OM film cameras and Pentax MX cameras were a disappointment in that the build quality of the Nikon FE/FM series was just so much better.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 01-21-2019   #313
Sumarongi
Registered Vaudevillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
The Olympus OM film cameras and Pentax MX cameras were a disappointment in that the build quality of the Nikon FE/FM series was just so much better.
Haha, PunkFunkDunk and I, we've just stated that Nikon FM/FE is a lousy choice
... but yeah, I confess: I have somewhere in my house (the basement room next the laundry, to be honest, my future Ğman caveğ according to my lovely wife) -- an Olympus OM-2n with motor drive and all that stuff, and an OM-40 I believe. I guess each has one film in it; I suppose, it's still the very first film that I had put in them, and that was errm... several years ago...

Old 01-21-2019   #314
RObert Budding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumarongi View Post
Haha, PunkFunkDunk and I, we've just stated that Nikon FM/FE is a lousy choice
... but yeah, I confess: I have somewhere in my house (the basement room next the laundry, to be honest, my future Ğman caveğ according to my lovely wife) -- an Olympus OM-2n with motor drive and all that stuff, and an OM-40 I believe. I guess each has one film in it; I suppose, it's still the very first film that I had put in them, and that was errm... several years ago...
I differ on the Nikon FE. Mine worked perfectly when I carried it throughout my travels in Europe when I was a young man. But perhaps you prefer cameras that feel like bricks.

~ Bob Dylan

Old 01-21-2019   #315
Sumarongi
Registered Vaudevillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RObert Budding View Post
I differ on the Nikon FE. Mine worked perfectly when I carried it throughout my travels in Europe when I was a young man. But perhaps you prefer cameras that feel like bricks.
You're right —— among 35mm SLRs, the Leicaflex SL, the Nikkormat FTn have the right size and weight for my hands —— in fact, I would wish the Rolleiflex SL35 would be a tad larger!

Old 01-21-2019   #316
retinax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Markey View Post
Yep , me as well.
Had two sold two.

I prefer the ME.

The noise and shake on an MX only occurs when the mirror returns, as you can hear in bulb mode. What bothers me about these cameras is the stiff shutter speed dial and its placement too near the prism. And the camera is a little too small for my hands. Everything else about it I love, which is what makes it so very disappointing.
Had an ME Super when I was 12 or so, indeed ergonomically more pleasant, but I prefer a shutter speed dial.

Old 01-21-2019   #317
zuikologist

Surprised by this - the MX layout is ok, all controls are precise and it has a superb viewfinder (Cinemascope!) and nearly 1:1 with a 50mm lens, so two eyed shooting is possible.

ME, and KX mentioned further up are also great.

As another poster noted - 70s and 80swere the high point for SLRs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
The noise and shake on an MX only occurs when the mirror returns, as you can hear in bulb mode. What bothers me about these cameras is the stiff shutter speed dial and its placement too near the prism. And the camera is a little too small for my hands. Everything else about it I love, which is what makes it so very disappointing.
Had an ME Super when I was 12 or so, indeed ergonomically more pleasant, but I prefer a shutter speed dial.

Old 01-21-2019   #318
FujiLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
Exactly all of this. I really hated the 500CM, and wasted enormous amounts of money on the system trying to like it. I bought an entire kit in really nice condition from the States, but found it clunky and noisy. The camera shake was appalling.

I sold it all at a hefty discount, and when I got the chance to buy new-old stock - everything new-in-box - I paid over the odds again, thinking the new camera would be a lot smoother. It was exactly the same heavy, clumsy, clunky box of noise.

The lenses rendered beautifully, though - the few times I could be bothered to use it.
Sacrilege! And from (probably) a Swede

Old 01-21-2019   #319
gfeucht

As for Leica stuff, I tried so hard to love the 35mm Summicron ASPH but couldn't. The focus shift was always an issue. I tested 2 samples in a mission to replace my Voigtlander 35mm f1.7 LTM due to the .9M close focus. I expected the Summicron ASPH to be the holy grail, but it just wasn't at all. In the end, I'm keeping my Voigtlander because it's so damn good (despite .9M), and I added a Zeiss ZM Biogon f2 for close focus and razor sharp rendering. Man, those Zeiss lenses: sharpness and pop in every shot. That can be good or bad, but it's there regardless.

Old 01-21-2019   #320
PunkFunkDunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RObert Budding View Post
This is true. I love bricks. I forgot to mention in my OP that in fact I owned a FM3A for all of 24 hours. Like The Strokes, I thought ... is this it? I could not care less about its amazing shutter engineering solution. It defined dinky. Feels like an expensive Holga in the hands.