Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc

Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc A place to discuss the delights of photo accessories, including bags, meters, tripods, filters, straps, camera cases, lens hoods, anything non digital that can make your gearhead life a little bit more enjoyable.

I know next to nothing about tripods. Seeking tips suitable for Pentax 67
Old 01-06-2019   #1
PunkFunkDunk

I know next to nothing about tripods. Seeking tips suitable for Pentax 67

I am in need of a tripod for my Pentax 67. I actually have never owned a tripod given no previous need for one. I do not need anything spectacular and would prefer to keep cost down to no more than US$200 for a used tripod (if possible). Can anyone recommend a specific make and model for something that can cope with the weight of a 67? Ideally a ball head. Sure, I have looked at multiple makes and checked their weight capacities but would appreciate a real world use recommendation. It does not need to be light weight since I would never really travel or hike with it, just after an affordable tripod that can cope with the 67 for general use.

Old 01-07-2019   #2
CharlesDAMorgan

Heavy is vital, with a good spread at the base, the 67 when tilted into portrait orientation with lens can seriously unsettle a tripod.

I use a Manfrotto 055XPRO3 with MXPRO-BHQ2 ball head. It copes with the 67 and my Linhof. I think I paid about £150 new for it in the UK last year, but as to secondhand availability where you are, no idea!

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.

Old 01-07-2019   #3
E.M

I use a Gitzo G-340 with Arca Swiss ballhead with quick release plates . You can control the friction of the ballhead which is ideal . I bought it new in 1997 , but I think you won't find it easily secondhand .

Old 01-07-2019   #4
Dan Daniel

It takes a serious ballhead to handle a Pentax 67. That's a lot of weight leveraging out from the center. So a large RRS, Arca, Acra- run you $300-600 just for the head? Using a ballhead that isn't capable of handling the weight will drive you crazy- keeping any movement to just one axis is tricky.

Leitz Tiltall-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiltall-Lei...4AAOSwNqRcG~qa

Ignore the seller's note about there being no head. The head is built in. Sure, no bells and whistles. Just a solid, simple 3-axis tripod. You can add a Manfrotto or Arca quick release adapter onto the top plate if you want; these will run $10-40-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/QR-120-Clam...0AAOSwwZxcCWGL

Look for an Arca L-bracket for the Pentax 67 if they make one (or use a general purpose L-brakcet if it will fit). I've found this to be the best way to handle sideways camera orientation rather than hanging the camera off the side of the head. Something like this? You'd need to check dimensions for your camera to see if the screw hole will work-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genesis-Bas...8AAOSwFURb0ydi

I'm just grabbing things from Ebay, not checking to see if they would actually work in your situation.

Old 01-07-2019   #5
al1966
Feed Your Head

Another Manfrotto 055 sugestion, I have owned mine for years over twenty I think and have used it with everything upto 10x8. I use an old head with each movement controlled by a seperate knob don't know which one it is though. I bought mine used aswell and I think you can find them easily on the auction site, just a case of finding one near you so you can collect as it may cost a small fortune to post.

http://jamesagrady.blog.com/
http://randompicture.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 01-07-2019   #6
pgk

If you don't mind buying an older/heavier tripod look for a suitable Gitzo. Their early tripods are very well made but a bit heavier being aluminium. I still have my Gitzo Reporter bought secondhand in 1980 and still use it - no spares to date, just periodic cleaning and lubricating. There are Studex amd similar models from Gitzo which command quite reasonable prices and which will hold a Pentax 67 easily. If you want something lighter/newer you will simply have to spend more.

Old 01-07-2019   #7
colker
-

Do you have a grip on that Pentax? The grip completely transforms the camera and makes it wonderfull to use handheld. Even at very slow speeds. I shot Pentax 67 for a decade and love the camera.

It´s not a tripod camera IMO

Old 01-07-2019   #8
willie_901

I recommend saving up a bit more and getting a gear head with Arca quick-release plates. The heavier the gear the more valuable a gear head becomes. Very small changes in tilt are easy to achieve. The gear head saved me a lot of time and frustration. I will never us a ball-head again. However, I used my tripod 3-6 times a week for gigs. For occasional use a less expensive head may make sense.

A bubble level is also indispensable. The bubble level can be on the gear head or it could be located on the camera. I never used the bubble level located on my tripod.

Many mentioned a sturdy tripod, which is great advice. One advantage is you can attach external lens flags, and, or square-filter systems.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 01-07-2019   #9
MikeL
Go Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
Leitz Tiltall-
I use one of these with my Pentax 67 and 55-100mm. Haven’t needed any more.

Old 01-07-2019   #10
aizan

i don't think there are any tripods that meet your requirements ($200, ballhead, good for a pentax 67).

what would you rather compromise on: price or ballhead?

Old 01-07-2019   #11
RichC

As others have said, look at the Manfrotto 055 series tripods. The basics haven't changed over the years so an older used one is fine. You need a decent head. Cheap ones sag a little after you adjust them - which will drive you nuts if you're a pedant about framing!

-=Rich=-

Portfolio: www.richcutler.co.uk

Old 01-07-2019   #12
john_s

Another vote for Arca-type quick release plates (e.g. Really Right Stuff, Kirk...), and the L-plate if you want a stable setup for vertical shots. I don't use a Pentax 67. My biggest camera for this type of use is a Mamiya 7. My heaviest camera is square format, so no vertical orientation needed.

From a post above "I use an old head with each movement controlled by a separate knob don't know which one it is though." These are good and probably findable second hand. A QR plate can probably be fitted.

The advantage of the Arca-pattern QR plates is that they are a firm fit to the body unlike some that have rubber or cork (presumably to protect the finish of the body) but they allow slight movement.

Old 01-07-2019   #13
ASA 32

I use a 1980s era Gitzo Inter Pro Studex tripod, model 1340. It easily supports the Pentax 67. Made of aluminum and quite heavy, it has 3-section legs and wing lock-offs on the platform and top tube. Legs can be individually set at 3 different angles, great for uneven terrain when shooting outdoors. You might be able to find one used somewhere. Try to find one with a center post, as these were sold separately from the legs.

I've tried various heads, and always found a ball head frustrating to use with any precision when shooting with the Pentax 67. So I use a Manfrotto 410 3-way geared head, modified with a Hejnar Arca-type conversion to accommodate Arca-Swiss style plates that mount to the base of the camera.

Good luck, and have fun.

Old 01-07-2019   #14
Contarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
I use one of these with my Pentax 67 and 55-100mm. Haven’t needed any more.
+2:though I will say Star D...basically the same thing. cannot beat the price point and it comes from the days when USA was great haha

http://tiltallsupport.blogspot.com/2...ltall.html?m=1

Old 01-07-2019   #15
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Ball heads really aren't great for heavy cameras. You need a heavy pan-tilt head like a Manfrotto 3047. Manfrotto makes some great aluminum tripods that will hold the 6x7 well. I have an old Manfrotto 3011 with the 30147 head that I bought new when I was 15 years old. That's 28 years ago! It still works perfectly today, and i have used it for heavy hasselblads and monorail view cameras with absolutely no issues. You can get a used set like that for less than $100 if you shop carefully.

Old 01-07-2019   #16
farlymac
PF McFarland

I've got some tripods around here that are older than Chris, and I've had them just about as long. But their problem is they don't have quick release plates, so that's something you need to consider.

See if you can find one with a hook to hang your camera bag from so it won't topple when using a long lens, or in high wind.

I found a Manfrotto 3221 with a 3047 head (which takes the six sided quick release plate) just before Christmas, and it was only $85, so bargains can be had.

PF

Old 01-07-2019   #17
CMur12

I think the value of a quick-release head depends on the shooting style of the photographer.

In my own case, when I shoot on a tripod, I shoot on a tripod. I don't go back and forth between tripod and hand-holding, so quick-release has no advantage for me. It may or may not be important for the OP.

- Murray

Old 01-07-2019   #18
CharlesDAMorgan

Good points Murray. I can see the advantages, but it is yet another piece of kit that can get mislaid, or left on another camera. It is also a royal PITA when you have a Hasselblad that also has a quick release plate, so you end up with two unnecessary things to cart around.

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.

Old 01-08-2019   #19
Nokton48

If you are OK with the Leitz Tiltall ideas above, there are also knockoff copies available.
I bought a Star-D Tiltall copy at a camera show for $25. Works great with my Hasselblads.
Irving Penn used the Leitz Tiltall with his Rolleiflexes.

There is something to be said for ease of mobility in this size. As long as it is solid.

Old 01-13-2019   #20
PunkFunkDunk

Many thanks. I will definitely look into these suggested models.

Old 01-13-2019   #21
narsuitus

Since the 1970s, I have been using the Leitz Tiltall tripod with my large format, medium format, and small format cameras.

Large Format by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Ball Head by Narsuitus, on Flickr

I prefer the pan/tilt head with large and medium format cameras; however, when I need a sturdy ballhead, the Acratech Ultimate Ballhead is what I use.

Old 01-13-2019   #22
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
Leitz Tiltall-
Yes, this is what I used when I had a Pentax 67. With the 105mm on the camera, and the camera on the Tiltall, I got extremely sharp photos. I suggest getting the black paint version; I had the bare aluminum one, and when I used it, my hands were always covered in aluminum oxide! It is an azimuth/elevation type head, though. And you said you wanted a ballhead. So:

[ATTACH]108126

This is a picture of a chinese ball head I use now. It is called, 'Fancier." (Fancier than what, I don't know.) I think it has been sold under other names. It was cheap, and used quick-release plates. I use it with the Hasselblad I have now. I use it on a manfrotto 3221, which is a nice heavy metal tripod. It will keep the Hassie rock-solid with my heaviest lens, the 40mm Distagon. I'm sure it will also work with the lighter 3001, but i just think the Pentax (and the Fancier ball head) belongs on a heavy tripod for stability.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L1010407.jpg (29.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg L1010409.jpg (27.3 KB, 7 views)

Old 01-14-2019   #23
peter_n
~

I also use an Acratech Ultimate ballhead among others, the Acratech heads are great for adverse conditions. I also use a couple of geared heads, the Arca-Swiss L60 shown below is small; 60mm in diameter and very useful on my travel tripod.

My RFF Gallery

Old 01-14-2019   #24
giganova

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkFunkDunk View Post
... no more than US$200 for a used tripod
Did any of you actually read this?

Old 01-14-2019   #25
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
i don't think there are any tripods that meet your requirements ($200, ballhead, good for a pentax 67).

what would you rather compromise on: price or ballhead?
Well, actually. I sort of disagree. If weight and portability aren't critical (and apparently, they're not, in this case) one of the best kept secrets in the market for rock solid affordable tripods is a vintage Linhof. Granted, they also made fairly lightweight types which would struggle with a P67. But their medium and heavy duty offerings are certainly available for under $200 in most locations. I'm in Australia, and a few years ago I had one posted from the US and it still set me back under USD 200 all up. Mine is a medium duty type with pan and tilt head but is easily capable of supporting my 4x5" Super Technika. Plenty of them were fitted with various ball heads if you really must have one.

It's true that Linhof no longer service or even stock many parts for their older model tripods (although certain parts such as some of the knobs and camera fixing screws are still catalogued and surprisingly affordable, even if the paint scheme may not be period to your vintage example). It's also true that all but their lightest and cheapest options were built like the proverbial brick ****house. Find yourself an example with good paint that's been little used or well cared for and it will still have a hell of a lot of life left in it.

I have a lightweight classic model perfect for 35mm rangefinders, SLRs up to medium teles, TLRs and even my Hasselblad and 80mm at a pinch. It's Linhof ball head has their wonderful reversible plate with 1/4"–3/8" thread on one side and straight 3/8" on the reverse. A godsend with my Contax rangefinders or Leica stuff. The larger one can handle anything else I'll ever use.

I don't yet have one of their twin shank super heavy duty models (derivatives of which are actually still in production today for a price of thousands of dollars, depending on column and head options etc). But I wouldn't mind one a bit. So don't be at all surprised if this post disappears in a day or two because I'm not done buying them myself yet. But if you want something rock solid at a bargain price they are very hard to beat and feature the best looking maker's badge in photography.

Old 01-14-2019   #26
Dan Daniel

Originally Posted by PunkFunkDunk
... no more than US$200 for a used tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post
Did any of you actually read this?
Yes. Why do you ask?

Old 01-14-2019   #27
ruby.monkey

If you can find one, a Uni-Loc Major would have no problem whatsoever supporting a Pentax 67; plus they're great training for a future career in giraffe wrestling. Mine has been perfectly happy holding a Mamiya RZ67 Pro II with 180mm lens and prism finder. Compared to that, a Pentax 67 is practically a featherweight.

Old 01-14-2019   #28
giganova

Keep in mind that your tripod will last your entire life, and that of your kids, so you might consider spending more and buy something more substantive.

I followed the advice of my father when I was 18 years old (I'm 50 now) and wanted to buy a tripod. He said "Save a bit more and buy a Gitzo." After more than 30 years, that Series-3 Gitzo is still in perfect working order and I use it all the time.

Here is what happens when you buy a cheap tripod: in 2017, I bought a MeFoto travel tripod for $150.- for the sole propose to fly to Idaho and take a picture of the solar eclipse with my Leica M4 and a 21mm lens. Not exactly a big load for any tripod, or so you might think. Stupid I as am, I thought schlepping the big & heavy Gitzo with me would be too much of a burden. But after taking the 4th picture during exposure bracketing, the ball head fell off the tripod and I missed all other photos for the remainder of the 2-min solar eclipse.

Old 01-14-2019   #29
aizan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
one of the best kept secrets in the market for rock solid affordable tripods is a vintage Linhof. [...] But if you want something rock solid at a bargain price they are very hard to beat and feature the best looking maker's badge in photography.
I love my bargain basement Linhof Profi Port (3450) and highly recommend Linhof tripods, but you'll be waiting a long time to find one with a ball head. They almost all have pan-tilt heads, and the new Linhof ball heads are out of the OP's budget. Linhof sticks with a different brand of ball head is an easier setup to find.

tripod for Pentax 67 pn budget
Old 01-18-2019   #30
randy stewart

tripod for Pentax 67 pn budget

First and foremost, forget the idea of using a ballhead. You'd have to go into the $600 range to find one that might work. They cannot handle the weight over time. For a budget, get the cheapest tripod legs which are solid. Manfotto is probably best; the older aluminum models. Gitzos are nice, but over budget and require a lot of cleaning/maintenance to stay working. Forget a center extension; they are unstable and you'll never use one with Pentax 67. For a head, budget may dictate a three-way with separate control release on each axis; Manfotto made several cheaper models which work well. Ideally, get the smaller Manfotto geared head. It's heavy and slow working, but for the Pentax 67 shooting landscapes, there is nothing better. After getting several tripods including a small Gitzo years ago (pre-Pentax), I settled on a larger Manfotto (before arbon fiber) and the geared head - no update since then.

Old 01-18-2019   #31
Emile de Leon

Just get an old aluminum Gitzo or Linhof in good condition with pan/tilt head...around $125..or spend a little more and get a small Manfotto geared head..
Or ...see if there is a nice wood tripod out there on the cheep..

Old 01-18-2019   #32
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
I love my basement bargain Linhof Profi Port (3450) and highly recommend Linhof tripods, but you'll be waiting a long time to find one with a ball head. They almost all have pan-tilt heads, and the new Linhof ball heads are out of the OP's budget. Linhof sticks with a different brand of ball head is an easier setup to find.
I think a pan head would be a better option for a 67, too. I have always preferred a pan to a ball head, generally, because I find the ability to adjust each axis independently makes precise framing easier. I saw a lot of Linhof tripods with 2d heads, which are OK, but waited until a well priced Profi with 3d head became available because they're easier to live with using most rectangular format cameras.