Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 12-09-2018   #81
Contarama
Registered User
 
Contarama is offline
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 1,249
Because of the kits you already own I advise you to concentrate on the DSLRs main advantage which is telephoto focal lengths. A D700 and a fast fifty is a get it done combo. The 105 is easy to focus and gets great results. 35/2 is great. 135/2 sublime. Use it with a TC and it's pretty powerful. Can't go wrong with FX Nikon kit. Very economically feasible too.
__________________
Art is the ability to make something...even if it is a big mess...
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2018   #82
charjohncarter
Registered User
 
charjohncarter's Avatar
 
charjohncarter is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Danville, CA, USA
Posts: 8,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
I skipped buying any of the Canon AF lenses, but thank you for your kind offer. It would only drive me buy Canon AF lenses!
Funny, I thought of that after I posted.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2018   #83
ornate_wrasse
Moderator
 
ornate_wrasse's Avatar
 
ornate_wrasse is offline
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,215
First of all, congratulations on getting your D700! It is an awesome camera and one very capable of producing awesome images. It has been my main camera for many years and it has never let me down. As my eyesight deteriorates (especially in my right eye where my central visual acuity is quite bad due to macular pucker in that eye) I increasingly rely on autofocus. I used to have a D300 before I got the full frame D700 so had an assortment of DX lenses. But I needed FX lenses when I bought the D700. Here are the 3 lenses I bought when I became the owner of the full frame D700:

16-35 f/4 VR
35-70 f/2.8 D
70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR

I didn't want to invest beaucoup bucks into the 24-70 nor did I want to carry it around. Instead I opted for the much older, cheaper and lighter 35-70 f/2.8D. I found out that it used to be Nikon's top professional mid range zoom in the 90's before it was replaced by newer lenses. It's a bit quirky because you change focal length by push-pull but once you get used to it, it works fine.

I found that my choice of lenses covered the entire range from 16mm at the wide end all the way up to 300mm. Though the 70-300 is not known as a birding lens, I've even captured adequate, though not fantastic, images of birds in my backyard. At Glacier National Park this past fall, I even was able to get an image of a grizzly bear that was understandably far away.

The 60mm Macro lens is one that I own and have used a lot in the past for my underwater photography. I'm not using it so much these days and I'd be happy to let you borrow it if you want to try it out.

For macro lenses, an even better performer, and one which I own, is the 105mm f/2.8 VR. It's an extremely sharp lens and I've used it a lot for macro photography, even though it's a bit heavy.

I have a couple of manual focus lenses including the classic 105mm 2.5 AIS.
It's pretty easy to enter manual focus lenses using the menu of the camera. As I recall, I think you can set up to 5 different lenses, but don't quote me on that.

I would definitely always shoot in RAW. This really helps to get the best possible images. If you don't want to be bothered with post processing for some shots, you can set the camera to shoot both in RAW and in JPG.

You should definitely make sure you have the latest firmware in your D700.
See this link: https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/na/N...d=1&lang=en_SG

As you probably know by now, the camera uses the Compact Flash memory cards, not the SD cards that seem to be used by more cameras these days. Be aware, if you're thinking of buying a large capacity CF card, that the D700 cannot accept the really large capacity cards. I found this out the hard way when I wanted a card that would hold a lot of raw images when I was shooting the eclipse. I bought one but it wouldn't work in my D700. I think cards up to about 64MB should work fine in the camera.

Finally, I realize that you said you're not a low light shooter, but that is a great benefit of a camera such as the D700, especially compared to my DX D300 (or other DX cameras). I've found over the years that it works very well in low light situations that you may find yourself in either unintentionally or on purpose.

In short, you're most definitely not a traitor. The camera will be a great addition to the other tools you use for shooting.
__________________
Images

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

Leica M9, Leica M6, Leica M3 - 21mm 3.4 Super Angulon, 28mm 2.8 Elmarit, 35mm Summicron, Nikkor SC 50mm 1.4, Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm 1.5, CV 75mm 2.5, Nikkor 8.5cm 2.0

Mamiya 6 - 50mm f4, 75mm f3.5, 150mm f4.5

Fuji X-Pro1 - 16-55mm f/2.8, 27mm f/2.8
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2018   #84
ornate_wrasse
Moderator
 
ornate_wrasse's Avatar
 
ornate_wrasse is offline
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,215
Raid,

Here's the image of the grizzly bear mentioned in my previous post that I captured in Glacier National Park using the 70-300 lens on the D700. I was using the camera in DX mode, another feature of the D700.
__________________
Images

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

Leica M9, Leica M6, Leica M3 - 21mm 3.4 Super Angulon, 28mm 2.8 Elmarit, 35mm Summicron, Nikkor SC 50mm 1.4, Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm 1.5, CV 75mm 2.5, Nikkor 8.5cm 2.0

Mamiya 6 - 50mm f4, 75mm f3.5, 150mm f4.5

Fuji X-Pro1 - 16-55mm f/2.8, 27mm f/2.8
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2018   #85
Argentia1
Registered User
 
Argentia1 is offline
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 58
Congrats, Raid.
The D700 is a very good choice, even in 2018. Perfect start in using a FF DSLR. You certainly will not regret it.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2018   #86
Range-rover
Registered User
 
Range-rover is offline
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,156
Raid, you should look a the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 lens I got a great deal on it
and works great on the D700. It does amaze me for all the love this camera still
get's, Nikon surely designed a winner with this one.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2018   #87
rfaspen
Registered User
 
rfaspen's Avatar
 
rfaspen is offline
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 1,683
Hey raid,

Congratulations. The D700 was a good camera for me. Unfortunately, mine died just recently when some friends and I went on a small photo expedition. It failed on the first exposure and I figured my "old reliable" Nikon would never fail me -- thus I had no backup camera.

In its defense, the shutter count was quite high and the shutter is what failed. This is (obviously?) the most common way these D700s die. Repair is not cost effective

But! Yours has a low shutter count and will give you years of service I'm sure. All of my AI and AIS lenses worked just great on the D700. My AF-S and AF-D lenses worked great as well (what would you expect?). My third party Tamron and Sigma lenses worked just great. Simply no complaints with this camera -- well except for the peeling rubber bits and the fact that the previous owner doused it with perfume which never subsided in its powerful stench. Not too big a problem as I typically used the camera outdoors.

I considered that D700 in the classifieds....thanks for removing the temptation.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2018   #88
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 30,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaspen View Post
Hey raid,

Congratulations. The D700 was a good camera for me. Unfortunately, mine died just recently when some friends and I went on a small photo expedition. It failed on the first exposure and I figured my "old reliable" Nikon would never fail me -- thus I had no backup camera.

In its defense, the shutter count was quite high and the shutter is what failed. This is (obviously?) the most common way these D700s die. Repair is not cost effective

But! Yours has a low shutter count and will give you years of service I'm sure. All of my AI and AIS lenses worked just great on the D700. My AF-S and AF-D lenses worked great as well (what would you expect?). My third party Tamron and Sigma lenses worked just great. Simply no complaints with this camera -- well except for the peeling rubber bits and the fact that the previous owner doused it with perfume which never subsided in its powerful stench. Not too big a problem as I typically used the camera outdoors.

I considered that D700 in the classifieds....thanks for removing the temptation.
I am glad that you let me buy it!
I will have to find a few very good lenses that fit the D700, and this will be my belated start using a DSLR. Too bad about your D700 failing during a trip.
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2018   #89
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 30,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Range-rover View Post
Raid, you should look a the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 lens I got a great deal on it
and works great on the D700. It does amaze me for all the love this camera still
get's, Nikon surely designed a winner with this one.
I have at home a very nice Tamron 35-80 SP (I think). I also have a very nice Tamron 90/2.5. I just need to get/find AI Nikon adapters for the Tamron lenses. Thanks for yhe reminder to consider Tamron lenses!
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2018   #90
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 30,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by ornate_wrasse View Post
First of all, congratulations on getting your D700! It is an awesome camera and one very capable of producing awesome images. It has been my main camera for many years and it has never let me down. As my eyesight deteriorates (especially in my right eye where my central visual acuity is quite bad due to macular pucker in that eye) I increasingly rely on autofocus. I used to have a D300 before I got the full frame D700 so had an assortment of DX lenses. But I needed FX lenses when I bought the D700. Here are the 3 lenses I bought when I became the owner of the full frame D700:

16-35 f/4 VR
35-70 f/2.8 D
70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR


I didn't want to invest beaucoup bucks into the 24-70 nor did I want to carry it around. Instead I opted for the much older, cheaper and lighter 35-70 f/2.8D. I found out that it used to be Nikon's top professional mid range zoom in the 90's before it was replaced by newer lenses. It's a bit quirky because you change focal length by push-pull but once you get used to it, it works fine.

I found that my choice of lenses covered the entire range from 16mm at the wide end all the way up to 300mm. Though the 70-300 is not known as a birding lens, I've even captured adequate, though not fantastic, images of birds in my backyard. At Glacier National Park this past fall, I even was able to get an image of a grizzly bear that was understandably far away.

The 60mm Macro lens is one that I own and have used a lot in the past for my underwater photography. I'm not using it so much these days and I'd be happy to let you borrow it if you want to try it out.

For macro lenses, an even better performer, and one which I own, is the 105mm f/2.8 VR. It's an extremely sharp lens and I've used it a lot for macro photography, even though it's a bit heavy.

I have a couple of manual focus lenses including the classic 105mm 2.5 AIS.
It's pretty easy to enter manual focus lenses using the menu of the camera. As I recall, I think you can set up to 5 different lenses, but don't quote me on that.

I would definitely always shoot in RAW. This really helps to get the best possible images. If you don't want to be bothered with post processing for some shots, you can set the camera to shoot both in RAW and in JPG.

You should definitely make sure you have the latest firmware in your D700.
See this link: https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/na/N...d=1&lang=en_SG

As you probably know by now, the camera uses the Compact Flash memory cards, not the SD cards that seem to be used by more cameras these days. Be aware, if you're thinking of buying a large capacity CF card, that the D700 cannot accept the really large capacity cards. I found this out the hard way when I wanted a card that would hold a lot of raw images when I was shooting the eclipse. I bought one but it wouldn't work in my D700. I think cards up to about 64MB should work fine in the camera.

Finally, I realize that you said you're not a low light shooter, but that is a great benefit of a camera such as the D700, especially compared to my DX D300 (or other DX cameras). I've found over the years that it works very well in low light situations that you may find yourself in either unintentionally or on purpose.

In short, you're most definitely not a traitor. The camera will be a great addition to the other tools you use for shooting.
Thank you for this information. This is all very useful. I may have to take a look at the 35-70/2.8 that several people here have recommended to me. I am glad that you set the record straight that I am NOT a RF traitor!
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2018   #91
robert blu
quiet photographer
 
robert blu's Avatar
 
robert blu is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Italy
Age: 70
Posts: 5,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
I am glad that you set the record staright that I am NOT a RF traitor!
...that dark side can be dangerous...

If we have chance to meet I can let you try the 35-70 2.8 AF-D...enjoy your new camera now...

robert
__________________
Remember: today is the Day !
from Ruth Bernhard recipe for a long and happy life

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2018   #92
Range-rover
Registered User
 
Range-rover is offline
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
I have at home a very nice Tamron 35-80 SP (I think). I also have a very nice Tamron 90/2.5. I just need to get/find AI Nikon adapters for the Tamron lenses. Thanks for yhe reminder to consider Tamron lenses!
Your welcome, those lenses are pretty nice.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2018   #93
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 30,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
...that dark side can be dangerous...

If we have chance to meet I can let you try the 35-70 2.8 AF-D...enjoy your new camera now...

robert
Thanks, Robert. Do you view your zoom 35-70 as a very good lens?
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2018   #94
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 30,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Range-rover View Post
Your welcome, those lenses are pretty nice.
The Tamron lenses that I own may be my only lenses at first for the D700. I will order some Tamron adapters for Nikon mount cameras.
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2018   #95
madNbad
Registered User
 
madNbad's Avatar
 
madNbad is offline
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 673
Raid,
Check the 50 1.8. I don't believe Nikon ever made a non Ai version of this lens. Hope you're not too overwhelmed by all the suggestions.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2018   #96
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Keith is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,610
Congratulations Raid ... they are a great camera. I'm still mourning the loss of mine when the shutter died a few months ago.
__________________
---------------------------
flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2018   #97
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 30,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by madNbad View Post
Raid,
Check the 50 1.8. I don't believe Nikon ever made a non Ai version of this lens. Hope you're not too overwhelmed by all the suggestions.
I need to look up my old SLR lenses first. I set them all aside for the past 15 years or so.
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2018   #98
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 30,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Congratulations Raid ... they are a great camera. I'm still mourning the loss of mine when the shutter died a few months ago.
Thanks, Keith. How many shutter actuations did your camera have? This seems to be the weak spot of the D700.
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2018   #99
peterm1
Registered User
 
peterm1's Avatar
 
peterm1 is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Thanks, Keith. How many shutter actuations did your camera have? This seems to be the weak spot of the D700.
I am not sure it is a particular issue for the D700 Raid. Perhaps it is just that the camera is otherwise so reliable that when it eventually dies (as they all do) it is the shutter that necessarily goes. I think Nikon advertise an expected life of 150,000 actuations and there are lots of reports of D700 shutters living till way over 250,000 - even up to half a million in one case I read.

I looked here http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/ and while the D700 is not listed the graph for the nearest one I could find - the D300 (OK its a DX but that should not matter) shows that most are alive till beyond 150,000.

I think however that the internals of the D700 are the same as its contemporary pro camera the D3s. And I suspect this means the shutter too. Which suggests it is more than likely to be very reliable.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thre...-post-52571530

more info on D700 here

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-ma...the-Nikon-D700

The latter link says amongst other things in a response to a query about D700 shutters:

"If your camera shutter has worn out, you can repair it at your camera service center, it will cost you 100 – 250 $."

This was in 2015. Of course it is contingent on them still having parts.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2018   #100
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 30,795
This is good to know, Peter. My D700 has fewer than 20k actuations. It should be fine for years to come, hopefully.
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2018   #101
RichC
Registered User
 
RichC is offline
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brighton, UK
Posts: 1,331
Raid, if you want a split prism or matt focusing screen, you can buy one here:

https://www.focusingscreen.com/index.php.

These screens are genuine Canon, Nikon, etc., that have been modified, and come with a little fitting kit. The company's in China but are reliable and have been trading for several years. Make sure to select US dollars for the currency to avoid being freaked out by the price! (I've no connection with the company - just a user.)

I used one in my Nikon D800E for most of the 5 years I owned the camera. It did not have any adverse affects (metering was unchanged, etc.). Fitting is straightforward but a bit nerve wracking (OTOH, your camera was a lot cheaper than my bought-new D00E). I put the original screen back in before selling the camera, which, despite not having done the process for 3 years, only took about 15 mins from start to finish. Basically, the screen's held in by a wire clip that you unhook.

(As an aside, I can (or could) buy manual focusing screens from China on eBay for my Nikon. If available for the D700, don't do that! They're cheaply made trash!)

I suggest doing the swap in the bathroom after running a hot shower just long enough for a little steam to settle any dust. Dust was the most annoying thing - I had to remove and replace the screen three times before my viewfinder was dust free! When I put the old screen back in, I managed to do it dust free the first time!

Now, the important question: did it make focusing any faster, easier or quicker? The honest answer is no. Possibly the opposite. Manual screens are less bright than modern digital ones, and if you go for a split prism screen as I did, you now have that circle in the middle of what was a nice empty view.

The green dot is also very accurate. It does have a quirk, though, which I'd imagine is the same in D700: a kind of "slop" for want of a better word. It stays lit if you move the lens focus ring back and forth a little. I suggest experimenting with your fastest lens and a near subject, and deciding where focus is sharpest. Try focusing beyond the subject and see if the image you take is in focus when the LED just lights, then the other way by focusing behind then turning the focus ring until the LED just lights; you may even find that your camera is in focus just past when the LED lights in one of these directions! Anyway, when all that faffing and checking photos is done, you'll know at what point your camera focus is spot on when shallow DOF rears its head...!

It's also perfectly doable to judge focus using the standard screen.

In short, eyeballing when stuff looks in focus plus using the green LED works fine for manual focusing.

In hindsight would I bother fitting ye olde worlde split prism screen? No. Practically, it did not make manual focusing better in any way, and in fact had the downsides of adding clutter to and darkening my view.

That said, the downsides weren't sufficient for me to make the effort to put my standard screen back in (at least until I decided to flog the camera)! The clutter and darkening aren't that much...

It's worth pointing out that in all the time I owned my Nikon D00E (half a decade) I used only manual lenses. I don't actually own an autofocus lens!

So, at the end of the day, I'd say whether you prefer the standard screen or split prism or matt screen boils down to personal preference rather than one being better than the other in reality for manual focus.
__________________

-=Rich=-


Portfolio: www.richcutler.co.uk
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2018   #102
ornate_wrasse
Moderator
 
ornate_wrasse's Avatar
 
ornate_wrasse is offline
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
My D700 has fewer than 20k actuations.
It's good to know that your D700 has less than 20K actuations. I concur that it should be good for a long time.

Regarding the 35-70 lens you asked about, here is a link to a review of the lens on Ken Rockwell's site:

https://kenrockwell.com/nikon/3570.htm

One of the reasons I am posting this link is because he has written a fairly decent review of the Macro Mode, one of the features of the 35-70. If you want to focus closer and use manual focus, this feature is very helpful. I have not personally used the Macro Mode on my 35-70 but I wanted to let you know that this feature exists.

Lastly, I look forward to seeing your images here on RFF taken with your new D700.
__________________
Images

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

Leica M9, Leica M6, Leica M3 - 21mm 3.4 Super Angulon, 28mm 2.8 Elmarit, 35mm Summicron, Nikkor SC 50mm 1.4, Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm 1.5, CV 75mm 2.5, Nikkor 8.5cm 2.0

Mamiya 6 - 50mm f4, 75mm f3.5, 150mm f4.5

Fuji X-Pro1 - 16-55mm f/2.8, 27mm f/2.8
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2018   #103
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 30,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Raid, if you want a split prism or matt focusing screen, you can buy one here:

https://www.focusingscreen.com/index.php.

These screens are genuine Canon, Nikon, etc., that have been modified, and come with a little fitting kit. The company's in China but are reliable and have been trading for several years. Make sure to select US dollars for the currency to avoid being freaked out by the price! (I've no connection with the company - just a user.)

I used one in my Nikon D800E for most of the 5 years I owned the camera. It did not have any adverse affects (metering was unchanged, etc.). Fitting is straightforward but a bit nerve wracking (OTOH, your camera was a lot cheaper than my bought-new D00E). I put the original screen back in before selling the camera, which, despite not having done the process for 3 years, only took about 15 mins from start to finish. Basically, the screen's held in by a wire clip that you unhook.

(As an aside, I can (or could) buy manual focusing screens from China on eBay for my Nikon. If available for the D700, don't do that! They're cheaply made trash!)

I suggest doing the swap in the bathroom after running a hot shower just long enough for a little steam to settle any dust. Dust was the most annoying thing - I had to remove and replace the screen three times before my viewfinder was dust free! When I put the old screen back in, I managed to do it dust free the first time!

Now, the important question: did it make focusing any faster, easier or quicker? The honest answer is no. Possibly the opposite. Manual screens are less bright than modern digital ones, and if you go for a split prism screen as I did, you now have that circle in the middle of what was a nice empty view.

The green dot is also very accurate. It does have a quirk, though, which I'd imagine is the same in D700: a kind of "slop" for want of a better word. It stays lit if you move the lens focus ring back and forth a little. I suggest experimenting with your fastest lens and a near subject, and deciding where focus is sharpest. Try focusing beyond the subject and see if the image you take is in focus when the LED just lights, then the other way by focusing behind then turning the focus ring until the LED just lights; you may even find that your camera is in focus just past when the LED lights in one of these directions! Anyway, when all that faffing and checking photos is done, you'll know at what point your camera focus is spot on when shallow DOF rears its head...!

It's also perfectly doable to judge focus using the standard screen.

In short, eyeballing when stuff looks in focus plus using the green LED works fine for manual focusing.

In hindsight would I bother fitting ye olde worlde split prism screen? No. Practically, it did not make manual focusing better in any way, and in fact had the downsides of adding clutter to and darkening my view.

That said, the downsides weren't sufficient for me to make the effort to put my standard screen back in (at least until I decided to flog the camera)! The clutter and darkening aren't that much...

It's worth pointing out that in all the time I owned my Nikon D00E (half a decade) I used only manual lenses. I don't actually own an autofocus lens!

So, at the end of the day, I'd say whether you prefer the standard screen or split prism or matt screen boils down to personal preference rather than one being better than the other in reality for manual focus.
Thank you, Rich. There is a lot of useful information that you have posted. I will start out with the D700 and its original screen that comes with it to first see if I can use the camera for accurate focusing or not. I do not wear glasses or contacts (lucky me!), and hopefully it will work out well with the original screen. Thanks for the link for focusing screens! This sounds to be a good place to order screen from if I find myself unable to focus well with the original screen.
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2018   #104
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 30,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by ornate_wrasse View Post
It's good to know that your D700 has less than 20K actuations. I concur that it should be good for a long time.

Regarding the 35-70 lens you asked about, here is a link to a review of the lens on Ken Rockwell's site:

https://kenrockwell.com/nikon/3570.htm

One of the reasons I am posting this link is because he has written a fairly decent review of the Macro Mode, one of the features of the 35-70. If you want to focus closer and use manual focus, this feature is very helpful. I have not personally used the Macro Mode on my 35-70 but I wanted to let you know that this feature exists.

Lastly, I look forward to seeing your images here on RFF taken with your new D700.
Thanks. I will try to use the DSLR during the holidays break. I will keep things simple by using one lens only for a while until I better understand how to best use the camera.
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2018   #105
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 30,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faintandfuzzy View Post
Did you just buy this from a fellow on the forum...same camera listed here.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...=IMG_04661.jpg
Yes, I bought it here at RFF. It is a good buy.
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2018   #106
Contarama
Registered User
 
Contarama is offline
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 1,249
Can someone please write some firmware for the 700 & Df so we can do 1080 hd @ 60/30/24?

I used to be a purist...guess I still am dang it.
__________________
Art is the ability to make something...even if it is a big mess...
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2018   #107
Gerry M
Gerry
 
Gerry M is offline
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Medford, Oregon, U. S.
Posts: 916
Raid, For my mf Nikkors, I put a Katz eye screen in my D7000 and was very disappointed in the results. I have the standard screen in my D700 and the green focusing indicator works fine for me. I don't normally shoot at very wide apertures.
__________________
Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2018   #108
ornate_wrasse
Moderator
 
ornate_wrasse's Avatar
 
ornate_wrasse is offline
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contarama View Post
Can someone please write some firmware for the 700 & Df so we can do 1080 hd @ 60/30/24?
At this point, I don't think there's any chance that new firmware will be written for the D700. It's such an old camera by now that I can't imagine anyone would be doing this.

As for the Df, I cannot say.
__________________
Images

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

Leica M9, Leica M6, Leica M3 - 21mm 3.4 Super Angulon, 28mm 2.8 Elmarit, 35mm Summicron, Nikkor SC 50mm 1.4, Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm 1.5, CV 75mm 2.5, Nikkor 8.5cm 2.0

Mamiya 6 - 50mm f4, 75mm f3.5, 150mm f4.5

Fuji X-Pro1 - 16-55mm f/2.8, 27mm f/2.8
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2018   #109
Contarama
Registered User
 
Contarama is offline
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 1,249
The D3 does 1080 no? It could be done no?
__________________
Art is the ability to make something...even if it is a big mess...
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2018   #110
Contarama
Registered User
 
Contarama is offline
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 1,249
Live view is the way to go in lowlight sporting manual focus glass but watch that shutter speed. And the 700 does low light just fine ty very much.
__________________
Art is the ability to make something...even if it is a big mess...
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2018   #111
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 30,795
What is a good buying price for a clean Nikkor 80-200 2.8 AF? Is the manual 80-200 2.8 equally useful? I guess, with a DSLR, a reasonable reach with such a lens could be very useful.
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2018   #112
peterm1
Registered User
 
peterm1's Avatar
 
peterm1 is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
What is a good buying price for a clean Nikkor 80-200 2.8 AF? Is the manual 80-200 2.8 equally useful? I guess, with a DSLR, a reasonable reach with such a lens could be very useful.
Long lenses and long zooms are part of the fun of DSLRs.

There were a few versions of the Nikkor 80-200mm f2.8 AF and although the optical formula is either identical or very similar (I cannot recall off hand) the price varies for other reasons. The early models which are "push pull" zooms but tend to be cheaper because their focus gearing means slower focusing.

https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photograph...00mm/index.htm

https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photograph...0mm/index1.htm

This is rectified in the later Nikkor 80-200mm f2.8 AF D lenses which has faster focusing and is of a two touch / two ring design.) I bought this D variant of the lens as I intended to potentially use it for moving targets. So its really a matter of which one suits your style of shooting best and your price range.

https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photograph...0mm/index3.htm

https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photograph...0mm/index4.htm

Others can advise on prices as its been a few years since I researched this thoroughly. But my impression is that the earlier push pull models are about 60-70% of the later versions.

I seldom see the MF version of the 80-200mm f2.8 lens on eBay and my recollection is that it is rather expensive. Bear in mind that both the MF 80-200mm f 4.5 Ai and the later MF 80-200mm F4 AIS are excellent lenses in terms of image quality and well worth owning. Both are pretty cheap due mainly to the large numbers sold back in the day.

https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photograph...00mm/index.htm

While I enjoy my Nikkor 80-200 f2.8 AF D it is a big and heavy lens to carry and for this reason when travelling on holidays I will often leave it behind in favor of a much smaller and lighter prosumer lens from that era - the Nikkor AF 70-210mm f4 - 5.6 D. Note that like its big brothers, with this lens the model to get for focusing speed is the D version which has faster gearing than the older non D version. It produces lovely images that in practice are seldom much different from those made by the f2.8 lenses.

https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photograph...0mm/index2.htm

If you have not delved into Nikkor lenses much the following resource is a source of endless pleasure if you have not already discovered it.

https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photograph...0mm/index2.htm

PS if you want a great lens with long reach either the MF or AF version of the 180mm f2.8 ED are superb with some of the smoothest bokeh you will ever see in your life. (Bear in mind the earliest 180mm is not an ED lens and so lacks some of their punch though in my view it is still a great lens (I own this variant and an AF version)

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...kkor/180mm.htm
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2018   #113
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Keith is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Thanks, Keith. How many shutter actuations did your camera have? This seems to be the weak spot of the D700.
Mine is actually quite a low shutter count ... around twenty thousand. Just bad luck I guess and it's a shame because with prices for them being so low I can't really justify the expense of a repair.
__________________
---------------------------
flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2018   #114
ornate_wrasse
Moderator
 
ornate_wrasse's Avatar
 
ornate_wrasse is offline
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
What is a good buying price for a clean Nikkor 80-200 2.8 AF?
Raid,

I did a quick check to see what this lens has sold for on Ebay. Prices ranged from just over $200 to about $500.

KEH is having a sale on lenses now and here's a link to a few Nikkor 80-200 lenses. Prices range from $261 to $344.

https://www.keh.com/shop/nikon-80-20...s-lens-77.html

Hope that helps!
__________________
Images

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

Leica M9, Leica M6, Leica M3 - 21mm 3.4 Super Angulon, 28mm 2.8 Elmarit, 35mm Summicron, Nikkor SC 50mm 1.4, Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm 1.5, CV 75mm 2.5, Nikkor 8.5cm 2.0

Mamiya 6 - 50mm f4, 75mm f3.5, 150mm f4.5

Fuji X-Pro1 - 16-55mm f/2.8, 27mm f/2.8
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2018   #115
willie_901
Registered User
 
willie_901's Avatar
 
willie_901 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
This is good to know, Peter. My D700 has fewer than 20k actuations. It should be fine for years to come, hopefully.
Less than 20K?

Unless you are in the very unlucky region for of the Gaussian sample , you should have 80K - 150K left.

PS I forgot to mention, the 105/2.5 AI was the lens I enjoyed the most with my D700. As I remember MF worked the best as well.
__________________
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2018   #116
willie_901
Registered User
 
willie_901's Avatar
 
willie_901 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contarama View Post
Can someone please write some firmware for the 700 & Df so we can do 1080 hd @ 60/30/24?

I used to be a purist...guess I still am dang it.
Well the D700 has 4256 x 2832 pixels in FX mode.

What exactly is "1080 hd @ 60/30/24?

How come the having 2831 pixels across the shortest image dimension is not HD?

HD TVs have 1,920 x 1,080 pixerls.

4K UHD TVs have 3,840 x 2,160 pixels.

4K cinema projectors have 4,096 pixels for the longest image dimension.
__________________
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2018   #117
Austintatious
Registered User
 
Austintatious's Avatar
 
Austintatious is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Shadow of Pikes Peak, USA
Posts: 414
Scroll down to Nikon D700 to see average shutter life.

http://olegkikin.com/shutterlife/sitemap.php
__________________
My gallery

RF's : Bessa-R ,FED II, Olympus 35RC , Kiev 4AM,Argus C-3
Other :Minolta XD-11, Minolta SRT102, Pentax Spotmatic ,Nikon N80, Yashica-Mat 124G, Rolleicord Va
Digital :Nikon D7100, Sony NEX 6, Panasonic LX-5
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2018   #118
robert blu
quiet photographer
 
robert blu's Avatar
 
robert blu is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Italy
Age: 70
Posts: 5,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Thanks, Robert. Do you view your zoom 35-70 as a very good lens?
Yes but I used it only on film!
robert
__________________
Remember: today is the Day !
from Ruth Bernhard recipe for a long and happy life

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2018   #119
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 30,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
Yes but I used it only on film!
robert
This is a good point. We have now this added point of complexity when chooing a lens that we must also consider whether we will use this lens mainly ofr film or for digital or for both. You would think that 35-70 does not cover any extreme angles, and the light path will not be at a very oblique angle when hitting the sensor of the D700, say.
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2018   #120
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 30,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austintatious View Post
Scroll down to Nikon D700 to see average shutter life.

http://olegkikin.com/shutterlife/sitemap.php
Thanks! It states this:
Average number of actuations after which shutter is still alive: 139,822.3
Average number of actuations after which shutter died: 168,972.5
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:46.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.