Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Bill Pierce - Leica M photog and author

Bill Pierce - Leica M photog and author

“Our autobiography is written in our contact sheets,  and our opinion of the world in our selects”  

"Never ever confuse sharp with good, or you will end up shaving with an ice cream cone and licking a razor blade."  

Bill Pierce is one of the most successful Leica photographers and authors ever. I initially "met" Bill in the wonderful 1973 15th edition Leica Manual (the one with the M5 on the cover). I kept reading and re-reading his four chapters, continually amazed at his knoweldge and ability, thinking "if I only knew a small part of what this guy knows... wow."  I looked foward to his monthly columns in Camera 35 and devoured them like a starving man.  Bill has worked as a photojournalist  for 25 years, keyword: WORK.  Many photogs dream of the professional photographer's  life that Bill has earned and enjoyed.  Probably Bill's most famous pic is Nixon departing the White House for the last time, victory signs still waving. 

Bill  has been published in many major magazines, including  Time, Life, Newsweek, U.S. News, The New York Times Sunday Magazine, New York Magazine, Stern, L'Express and Paris Match.  :His published books include  The Leica Manual,  War Torn, Survivors and Victims in the Late 20th Century, Homeless in America,  Human Rights in China,  Children of War.  Add to that numerous exhibitions at major galleries and museums.  Magazine contributions include  Popular Photography,  Camera 35, Leica Manual,  Photo District News, the Encyclopedia of Brittanica, the Digital Journalist, and now RFF.  Major awards include Leica Medal of Excellence, Overseas Press Club's Oliver Rebbot Award for Best Photojournalism from Abroad,  and the World Press Photo's Budapest Award. Perhaps an ever bigger award is Tom Abrahamsson's comment: "If you want to know Rodinal, ask Bill."

I met Bill in person through our mutual friend Tom Abrahamsson.  In person his insight and comments are every bit as interesting and engaging as his writing.  He is a great guy who really KNOWS photography.  I am happy to say he has generously agreed to host this forum at RFF  From time to time Bill will bring up topics, but you are also invited to ask questions.  Sit down and enjoy the ride!

Old 11-29-2018   #41
xavyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Tanking? ...
Yeah, "tanking", I don't know.

The smartphone market is officially in a "recession" but nonetheless, they're still selling one hell of a lot of 'em. No corporate suicides as yet.

"The figures confirm Counterpoint Research’s prediction that the global smartphone market will contract for the first time this year. Counterpoint reckons the decline will be around 1%—over the previous five years, the average growth was 16%."

http://fortune.com/2018/11/02/smartp...les-recession/

Anyhow, I'd resisted the notion of cellphone photography for a long time, was, mmm, repelled by the the idea that a phone and not a proper camera could be used to make effective images.

Well, times change

Old 11-29-2018   #42
Out to Lunch

As I mentioned above, the sale of high-end phones -with enhanced photo features is declining. Consumers are not willing to pay +S1000 for phones that can deliver nice pictures.

Old 11-29-2018   #43
xavyr

Yep, declining, in the sense that the makers have certainly hit the wall with price resistance.

In an uncertain global economy, people are definitely more resistant than ever - I would not have mine had it not been offered at fully 1/3 off. Manufacturers will almost certainly have to back off from hyper-pricing...

and yet I see $50,000 autos here all the time and think,"Who the hell can afford such a thing?"

https://www.google.com/search?q=2018...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Anyhow, as to the capabilities of current generation of smartphone cameras...

Old 11-29-2018   #44
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavyr View Post
Yeah, "tanking", I don't know.

The smartphone market is officially in a "recession" but nonetheless, they're still selling one hell of a lot of 'em. No corporate suicides as yet.
Exactly... But tanking? It's just like anything else. They have reached a point where they are good enough to last 4 years for people. But they sell tons of them still. Just not as much as before.

Old 11-29-2018   #45
Bill Clark

Interesting info on iPhone:

https://9to5mac.com/2018/11/28/iphone-xr-sales-joswiak/

“As I mentioned above, the sale of high-end phones -with enhanced photo features is declining. Consumers are not willing to pay +S1000 for phones that can deliver nice pictures.”

Do you have stats to support your statement?

Of course, a smart phone is ued for more than making photographs.

Old 11-29-2018   #46
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wijninga View Post
As I mentioned above, the sale of high-end phones -with enhanced photo features is declining. Consumers are not willing to pay +S1000 for phones that can deliver nice pictures.
Actually I have seen more than a few people move to a high end phone as their only computer. It might be hard to sell a yearly upgrade now, but the industry is not in dire straights. The $1000 phone market is not that old really. But yeah, it's declining as devices are good enough to use for many years but it's not tanking.

Old 11-29-2018   #47
benlees

The $1000 cell phone is a curious beast. The market is now saturated so expensive phones are a way for the manufacturers to maintain income with declining sales. If people replace their phones a lot less frequently then the features of the phone must increase drastically to reduce replacement intervals, and the cost goes up...

They are expensive devices but most people on this forum have spent much more on cameras. And those cameras only do one thing.

Old 11-29-2018   #48
BillBingham2

I can't give you a larger sampling than just my immediate family. I got my son's hand-me-down iPhone 7 Plus (he paid full price when it came out and LIVED with it). He purchased a XS and loves the smaller size, paid full price. Watches video on his laptop, does graphic design work there, and writing, other than that he uses is phone and camera as a critical tool for earning money on the side and his life/fun. My youngest son got a referb 8 and is paying not $1K but slightly north of $500 over time. My wife just plunked down for a new 8 and cell watch, together just north of $1k.

Yes I think it's a ridiculous amount I'm very happy with the IQ I get and for a $40 fix (not to Apple spec but good enough for now) I'm happy and the family is happy with what they have.

I remember when PCs were $4K. Tropicana 1/2 gallon was $1.97 for the longest time in NYC. Yes there are downturns but people are buying into an ecosystem and Apple has built a premium brand image and support that goes along with it.

B2 (;->

Old 11-30-2018   #49
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Do you have stats to support your statement?
Have a look at Forbes and Nikkei Asian Review: both have published articles about the declining demand for high-end phones. The link you provided says the same thing even though Apple's VP is saying it's all good. What else would he say?

Old 11-30-2018   #50
robert blu
quiet photographer

I feel so out of time with my i.phone 5s !
But it does what I need, phone calls, e-mails or occasional browse of the web when not at home....even a few snapshots sometimes...
robert
PS: Anyway one day I'll have to change it because of the firmware/software will be obsolete...

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 11-30-2018   #51
Axel

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
I feel so out of time with my i.phone 5s !
But it does what I need, phone calls, e-mails or occasional browse of the web when not at home....even a few snapshots sometimes...
I am still using my IPhone 4. I can do all the mentioned tasks even the phone is out of everything since years.
So - stay relaxed

Old 11-30-2018   #52
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wijninga View Post
Have a look at Forbes and Nikkei Asian Review: both have published articles about the declining demand for high-end phones. The link you provided says the same thing even though Apple's VP is saying it's all good. What else would he say?
Forbes...

June...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeanbap.../#4339f32d7d2f

November ...

http://fortune.com/2018/11/01/global...ne-first-time/

1% is NOT tanking... its just a point where mature products are being used longer. It happens with all tech.

Old 11-30-2018   #53
Bill Clark

I still use my iPhone 6s and it still works just fine for me. At my age, I don’t receive many calls. To keep the robo calls at bay I have it in airplane mode most of the time. It goes into voicemail so if someone really wants to talk they leave a voicemail.

Maybe I’ll upgrade when 5g is up and running. Then I will be able to get rid of some of the services I currently subscribe to.

Old 12-09-2018   #54
jarski

Good write up about state of phone industry currently https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018...ign=pockethits

Old 12-09-2018   #55
Archlich

The only thing I'm sure is those who gave up on the expensive phones are not converting to film cameras.

Old 12-09-2018   #56
DougK
This space left blank

I use a Pixel 2 for most of my shooting since I purged most of my camera collection a few years ago (and before that, my iPhone 4s and 6). For the most part, they can completely replace a point-and-shoot for me. The quality is more than sufficient for online viewing and I could probably make a pretty solid print from some of the shots I've taken. It's no DSLR, but I always have it with me.

Old 12-12-2018   #57
Duane Pandorf

When I photograph with my iPhone 7s I use Lightroom Mobile and have the camera set to record in the DNG RAW format. At least then I've captured all the pixels the camera records and then if its a keeper its saved to my LR catalog. The smartphone has made it too easy to share instantly with the world today.

Old 12-12-2018   #58
jsrockit

I just bought an iPhone Xs. I will admit this is the first cellphone I think I will use as a camera. It is not a replacement for anything with a 1" sensor or larger if you take time to do post processing, etc. However, it is pretty good for a small sensor camera and apps help you make the most of the processing power and maximize the sensor.

Old 12-12-2018   #59
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

I just can't handle the things, I've dropped mine twice trying to take a picture. I don't care how good the image quality is I don't like the feel of them as an image taking tool. I don't like the feel of Nikon cameras either.

Old 12-12-2018   #60
jarski

Quote:
... I will admit this is the first cellphone I think I will use as a camera. ...
Am leaning to this direction as well. It's good enough for shots in good light, and most likely first device on your hand when something photo worthy happens. Otoh am glad not shooting much with early iPhones etc. from beginning of this decade, and took the trouble of using real camera.

Old 12-12-2018   #61
RichC

For the kind of "serious" photography I do, a mobile phone (we don't call them "cellphones" in British English!) doesn't have the image quality nor flexibility. I don't use compact cameras for my photography either for the same reasons.

However, I did own a compact for snapshots - holiday photos, casual photos and the like. I say "did" because I sold my Canon S95 some years ago because my mobile took better-quality photos and was more convenient to carry. The S95 was not so long ago Canon's top-of-the-range compact...

Today's top-range mobiles take photos of amazing technical quality and have decimated the compact camera market. I won't ever by another compact: what's the point?

The only cameras I now use are high-end "proper" ones such as my Mamiya 645 and Sony A7R II, and my phone for snaps.

Those who have complained here about the quality of mobile phone photos clearly have no idea how good recent top-range phones are! Yes, the default look is contrasty and saturated - deliberately so, because most people want that! But you can easily change that. Phones now give you quick access to controls such as shutter speed and ISO, and even shoot in raw - so DNG files can be processed in Lightroom to give amazing technical quality and a look suited to your taste.

Mobiles do have drawbacks such as noise, limited ISO range, no shallow DOF and poor ergonomics - but these afflict the majority of compact cameras too (many cheap ones being worse than phones!).

So I'm a definite convert to mobiles as cameras. When I go on holiday now, my phone is the only camera I take.

Those who complain above how terrible phone images simply don't know what the current generation of mobiles are capable of!

My mobile is always with me, so I'm now more likely to take photos. This is when I got caught in a storm the other day...

-=Rich=-

Portfolio: www.richcutler.co.uk

Old 12-12-2018   #62
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougK View Post
I use a Pixel 2 for most of my shooting since I purged most of my camera collection a few years ago (and before that, my iPhone 4s and 6). For the most part, they can completely replace a point-and-shoot for me. The quality is more than sufficient for online viewing and I could probably make a pretty solid print from some of the shots I've taken. It's no DSLR, but I always have it with me.
The Pixel 2 has a great camera. This was one my the early photos I took with mine using portrait mode, and the image quality blew me away. I did not expect that result from a cell phone.

by dourbalistar, on Flickr

flickr

Old 12-13-2018   #63
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfeeble View Post
I just can't handle the things, I've dropped mine twice trying to take a picture. I don't care how good the image quality is I don't like the feel of them as an image taking tool. I don't like the feel of Nikon cameras either.
I found a case by Moment that allows me to have a better grip on the phone and also attach a wrist strap. This is it:

https://www.shopmoment.com/shop/phot...phone-xs-black

I`m starting to get used to holding it and I`m very sensitive to ergonomics and haptics. I feel more confident with the wrist strap. I use the down volume button as my shutter release.

Old 12-13-2018   #64
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarski View Post
Am leaning to this direction as well. It's good enough for shots in good light, and most likely first device on your hand when something photo worthy happens. Otoh am glad not shooting much with early iPhones etc. from beginning of this decade, and took the trouble of using real camera.
Yes, exactly. I do not look at it as something I use instead of my real cameras. I look at it as something I use instead when my real camera is not with me for some reason. Also, I look at it as something different. I can do a different type of photography with it then I do with my other cameras. Like a digital holga of sorts (with an unfortunate price tag). It is a great computer though and they are interesting cameras if you can work within their constraints. We are certainly spoiled regarding the choices we have these days. It is a great time to be into photography - equipment wise.

Old 12-13-2018   #65
willie_901

@jsrockit

XS raw files are worth the trouble for making photographs. For IM, mail, etc. I just use JPEGs.

I use either the 645 PRO Mk III or LR CC apps for photography. I don't do any in-camera image processing.

I agree sensor area is a huge handicap. This is particularly obvious in low light – and pushing shadow regions is not gonna work (said Captain Obvious).

I don't find the AI features to be particularly useful.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 12-13-2018   #66
charjohncarter

In college and immediately after I had two cameras: a Leica IIIf and a 104 Instamatic. The Instamatic was my I phone camera, I took it everywhere (my Leica was too precious).

104:

1964-5 by John Carter, on Flickr

1970s Slides by John Carter, on Flickr

60s found slides by John Carter, on Flickr

So for me nothings changed; except I don't have a cellular phone.

Old 12-13-2018   #67
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_901 View Post
@jsrockit

XS raw files are worth the trouble for making photographs. For IM, mail, etc. I just use JPEGs.

I use either the 645 PRO Mk III or LR CC apps for photography. I don't do any in-camera image processing.

I agree sensor area is a huge handicap. This is particularly obvious in low light – and pushing shadow regions is not gonna work (said Captain Obvious).

I don't find the AI features to be particularly useful.
I agree with everything you say based on my limited dealings with the phone, but I want to thank you for the 645 Pro tip... I didn`t know of the app. So far, I like Halide a lot.

Old 12-13-2018   #68
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
In college and immediately after I had two cameras: a Leica IIIf and a 104 Instamatic. The Instamatic was my I phone camera, I took it everywhere (my Leica was too precious).

So for me nothings changed; except I don't have a cellular phone.
Are you trying to tell us that you still have and use the 104? In the late 90s, I was re-buying them and using them at times still... the Instamatic X-15 was my first camera as young kid, so I wanted to see what they were like as an adult.

Old 12-13-2018   #69
taemo

Quote:
I found a case by Moment that allows me to have a better grip on the phone and also attach a wrist strap. This is it:

https://www.shopmoment.com/shop/phot...phone-xs-black

I`m starting to get used to holding it and I`m very sensitive to ergonomics and haptics. I feel more confident with the wrist strap. I use the down volume button as my shutter release.
congrats on the XS, I have the X and love it. heard the minor upgrades they did on the XS and XS Max improved the IQ on the images with sharper files and better HDR although from the 5min test I had with the XS, you can't control when HDR is on.

I've looked into the Moment case and lenses but decided not to get one as you still can't do long-exposure on the phone (you can in faux software but useless in low light).
Ordered a ring holder to attach on the back of my iphone to reduce my chance of dropping my phone although it has never been an issue for my iphone photography for the past couple of years even when I was shooting with the Plus size phone.

Old 12-13-2018   #70
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by taemo View Post
congrats on the XS, I have the X and love it. heard the minor upgrades they did on the XS and XS Max improved the IQ on the images with sharper files and better HDR although from the 5min test I had with the XS, you can't control when HDR is on.
Thank you. My last iPhone was the 6 Plus, so this was a huge upgrade for me. If I had the X, I wouldn`t have upgraded.

Quote:
I've looked into the Moment case and lenses but decided not to get one as you still can't do long-exposure on the phone (you can in faux software but useless in low light).
I understand... I just liked the case because it feels good and I could attach a strap. The lenses don`t interest me either.

Quote:
Ordered a ring holder to attach on the back of my iphone to reduce my chance of dropping my phone although it has never been an issue for my iphone photography for the past couple of years even when I was shooting with the Plus size phone.
I`m more concerned with theft. In Santiago, there are a lot of snatch and run thefts of cellphones and I photograph on the streets often.

Old 12-13-2018   #71
charjohncarter

Quote:
Are you trying to tell us that you still have and use the 104? In the late 90s, I was re-buying them and using them at times still... the Instamatic X-15 was my first camera as young kid, so I wanted to see what they were like as an adult.
They stopped the film (126) so I cut the lens out of it and fixed it to fit my Leica. I still have the IIIf and an Instamatic lens: so best of both worlds.

TriX HC-110h by John Carter, on Flickr

Instamatic lens on IIIf

Old 12-14-2018   #72
jsrockit

That’s wonderful CJC.

Old 12-14-2018   #73
narsuitus

Cell Phone vs Pinhole by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Old 12-14-2018   #74
Tom Diaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pierce View Post
How do you take your pictures - camera or phone? Popular as it is “real photographers” scoff at the phone. I’m one of the scoffers. I use “real cameras.” But, I remember when I started photographing with a 35mm film camera, an older, wiser and better photographer friend said to me, “Why don’t you use your real camera?” It was a 4x5 Speed Graphic, and as the local Associated Press photographer he had been able to get me a discount on it.

I think of others, better photographers than me, from Bresson to Duncan to Smith to Mydans , whose 35mm cameras were at one time looked upon by some as not up to the job. True, there are cameras that capture finer detail in larger prints, but there can be more to good photography than that. Is the phone the “Leica” of the digital world? In a way I think it is. Good lord, am I going to have to spend money on a cellphone with a decent camera? Your thoughts…
Bill, a great topic. I am older and "serious," so I still use a combination of Leica and m43 digital cameras.

However, I have very recently (with Christmas coming) been asked by a couple of different couples what I would recommend they get their teenage daughters, who at 15 are fascinated by photography.

I advised them to get their daughters a better phone if they need one and to spend the money on some high quality photo-art instruction for them.

Not only do I stand by that advice, but I am a bit at a loss these days to tell such people what they might spend their money on—scarce money in those families—when in a few years not only would the particular models be obsolete, but the company who made them might have exited the business.

I am of course not willing to argue that phones offer the creative control or quality of good cameras.

Best wishes,
Tom

Old 12-18-2018   #75
jsrockit

I agree Tom. These days, let them start with a phone or a hand me down camera and IF they like it a lot and are doing it often, then get the nicer camera.

Old 01-03-2019   #76
jsrockit

Ok, so maybe things are worse ...

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wi...sales-60126085

That said, using the iPhone XS has been really nice imo.

Old 01-14-2019   #77
jarski

Zooms are coming to phones, here’s recent news: https://www.dpreview.com/news/561857...ne-zoom-camera

Methinks there’s parallels with this gradual progress in phones, to that of compact digital camera a decade ago. Remember the fanfare when 10x or 20x zoom first became available? And with bigger and bigger sensors. This leaves me thinking of how much to rely on current models, when they obviously take big leaps in every year or two. Better shoot good quality photos with a dedicated camera and let industry keep improving things?

Old 01-14-2019   #78
Contarama

And whole bunch of my phone camera snaps make me say to myself I wish I would have had one of my Nikons with me. I bet Nikon would make specialized camera phones before they would make new film fed rangefinders but I digress. Afterthought:. If Nikon made camera phones the lens would probably be so damn big even darthfeeble would probably be comfortable using them

Old 01-15-2019   #79
DougK
This space left blank

Over Christmas I upgraded from my Pixel 2 to an iPhone XR. I think the iPhone is maybe slightly better, but frankly both are really good for a walk-around camera that I always have with me. One thing that I've noticed is that no one notices me taking a picture with my phone, even if I do it right in front of them. I've taken some good candid shots that I never could have gotten with a camera because my subject would have noticed.