Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Old 10-12-2018   #1481
charjohncarter

dourbalistar inspired me to put up another. I thought something was wrong with my 6x7 so I quickly ran a roll of Arista EDU ultra 400 through to see what was up. It was only I needed a new battery. But some of the shots were so boring but so clean and crisp I quickly loaded some Porta. Here is an Arista EDU ultra 400 grab shot:

Arista EDU ultra 400 HC110h by John Carter, on Flickr

Old 10-14-2018   #1482
dourbalistar

Pentax 6x7, S-M-C Takumar 6x7 90mm f/2.8 LS, Ilford HP5+ at E.I. 200, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:63 for 8:48.

2018.06.22 Roll #165-02514-Pano-positive.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

flickr

Old 10-23-2018   #1483
dourbalistar

Pentax 6x7, S-M-C Takumar 6x7 90mm f/2.8 LS, Kodak 400TX, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 6 minutes.

2018.07.07 Roll #172-02784-Pano-positive.jpg

flickr

Old 10-28-2018   #1484
dourbalistar

Pentax 6x7, S-M-C Takumar 6x7 105mm f/2.4, Kodak 400TX, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 6 minutes.

2018.09.08 Roll #179-02839-Pano-positive.jpg

flickr

Old 11-01-2018   #1485
dourbalistar

Pentax 6x7, S-M-C Takumar 6x7 90mm f/2.8 LS, Ultrafine Xtreme 400, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes.

2018.09.01 Roll #178-02822-Pano-positive.jpg

flickr

Old 11-05-2018   #1486
regular

Thumbs up

Nice pictures, but they are missing a bit more of midtones (maybe a problem of gamma).
I would use the curve tool to bow the gamma down.

Old 11-05-2018   #1487
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular View Post
Nice pictures, but they are missing a bit more of midtones (maybe a problem of gamma).
I would use the curve tool to bow the gamma down.
Thanks for the comment and feedback, though I'm not quite sure what you mean by gamma. Would you suggest just grabbing the tone curve somewhere in the middle, and pulling it down a bit (in Lightroom)?

It may be personal preference, but I try to use a very light hand when post processing. My tone curve is pretty much linear, with only the ends pulled in to set the black and white points.

flickr

Old 11-05-2018   #1488
dourbalistar

Pentax 6x7, S-M-C Takumar 6x7 90mm f/2.8 LS, Ilford HP5+, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes.

2018.06.14 Roll #163-02467-Pano-positive.jpg

flickr

Old 11-07-2018   #1489
regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dourbalistar View Post
Thanks for the comment and feedback, though I'm not quite sure what you mean by gamma. Would you suggest just grabbing the tone curve somewhere in the middle, and pulling it down a bit (in Lightroom)?
Yes.

Quote:
It may be personal preference, but I try to use a very light hand when post processing. My tone curve is pretty much linear, with only the ends pulled in to set the black and white points.
Me too, but if I look at the tones, i get the feeling that there are lacking shadows, and are over-exposed a bit.
Or a problem of gamma (Apple is using (or was?) a gamma value of 1.8, while rest of the world was using 2.2)

If I ignore the black frame, the histogram of your latest photo is like this - shifted to the right a bit :

With each photo I tried, it seems this kind of settings would make skin tones or grass tones more natural.

For example, this photo was looking too bright - only when changing curve did I realize that this photo is a evening shot! (correct? is not this spotlights on the house front?)

Old 11-07-2018   #1490
dourbalistar

Quote:
Me too, but if I look at the tones, i get the feeling that there are lacking shadows, and are over-exposed a bit. With each photo I tried, it seems this kind of settings would make skin tones or grass tones more natural.

For example, this photo was looking too bright - only when changing curve did I realize that this photo is a evening shot! (correct? is not this spotlights on the house front?)
Thank you for the detailed response! Yes, the photo was indeed taken in the evening, around 6pm. I usually over-expose by one stop, since I like open shadows, but yes I may have over-cooked the example you used a bit.

I went back and re-edited the photo, but didn't pull the tone curve nearly as far down as you did. Of course style and preference is personal, but I appreciate the feedback, and will definitely take it into consideration.

flickr

Old 11-11-2018   #1491
PunkFunkDunk

Finally got round to developing some rolls of Acros with Rodinal from back in May. Pentax 67 with 200/4. Boomerang Beach, New South Wales, Australia. Basic scan using the new FilmLab app for
iOS.

Old 11-12-2018   #1492
leicapixie

Talking

Great images here.
The SLR that i hated as much as My EOS system..
The Pentax is a formidable camera with super lenses and a flat film direction..
The sea scene intriguing, that with Rodinal and my use of HC-110.
i "kinda see" color!. (BW film).
I wonder who else has noted this?
Maybe film companies are using dye technology to save silver?

Old 11-12-2018   #1493
PunkFunkDunk

I think the slight blue tint is simply from the LED pad light and how the iPhone camera captured it. Acros is definitely black!

Old 11-12-2018   #1494
charjohncarter

Quote:
Yes.

Me too, but if I look at the tones, i get the feeling that there are lacking shadows, and are over-exposed a bit.
Or a problem of gamma (Apple is using (or was?) a gamma value of 1.8, while rest of the world was using 2.2)

If I ignore the black frame, the histogram of your latest photo is like this - shifted to the right a bit :

With each photo I tried, it seems this kind of settings would make skin tones or grass tones more natural.

regular, nice write up, very helpful.

Old 11-13-2018   #1495
dourbalistar

Pentax 6x7, S-M-C Takumar 6x7 90mm f/2.8 LS, Ultrafine Xtreme 400, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes.

2018.09.01 Roll #178-02819-Pano-positive.jpg

flickr

Old 11-14-2018   #1496
dourbalistar

Pentax 6x7, S-M-C Takumar 6x7 55m f/3.5, Kodak 400TX, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 6 minutes.

2018.05.30 Roll #159-02274-Pano-positive.jpg

flickr

Old 11-17-2018   #1497
Abbazz
6x9 and be there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgsn View Post
Quick question for you guys. I have two, each with a meter prism. On one prism, the needle is up when off. The other one has it's needle down when off... Is this normal? Where is your meter needle when off?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Hi Gil -- I also have two... The older one (mid-1970s) that says "Honeywell" on the nameplate is up when off. The newer one that says "Pentax" on the nameplate is down when off.

Also, there's a difference in the meter on/off switches... The older one is a two-position switch where one position is off and the other is on. The newer one has a momentary-contact switch that is spring-loaded to rest in the center position, and moving it briefly one way switches on, and similarly the other way switches off.
Sorry for answering an old post, but I thought my answer might be useful to the community.

While there has never been any communication from Pentax about it, there are in fact two different TTL prism finders (not including the 67ii finder, which is a different beast altogether. ):

- The original model features a CdS photoresistor. Its needle is up (+) when the meter is off. It's easy to identify from the outside because it has a switch with two distinct positions labeled on the body: ON and OFF:

- Launched in 1982, the newer model features a GaAsP photodiode, which offers better accuracy and shorter response time than the CdS photoresistor. The printed circuit board is also improved (one glass-epoxy PCB with integrated circuits vs. two cotton paper / phenolic resin boards with discrete transistors) and the power consumption is down from 4.5mA to 1mA. Its needle is down (-) when the meter is off. From the outside, the switch has only one labeled position: ON:

Here's a picture of both TTL prism finders side by side with the cover removed (newer model is on the left):

Credit: Gabrielcik @ Pentaxforums

For those reading French, here is the link to a very thorough Pentax 6x7 technical review originally published in 1983 by Phot'Argus Magazine: http://www.galerie-photo.com/manuels/pentax-etude.pdf

Cheers!

Abbazz

[EDIT] it seems I mixed up the pictures of both models. The meter with the GaAsP photodiode appears to be the one with the switch labeled "ON / OFF," while the one with the CdS photoresistor has only "ON."

The 6x9 Photography Online Resource

Old 11-21-2018   #1498
dourbalistar

Thanks for the detailed info, Abbazz! Seems I have the older CdS prism. Anyone have any tips for remembering to turn the meter off? I've forgotten a few times, only to discover a dead battery later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbazz View Post
Sorry for answering an old post, but I thought my answer might be useful to the community.

While there has never been any communication from Pentax about it, there are in fact two different TTL prism finders (not including the 67ii finder, which is a different beast altogether. ):

- The original model features a CdS photoresistor. Its needle is up (+) when the meter is off. It's easy to identify from the outside because it has a switch with two distinct positions labeled on the body: ON and OFF:

- Launched in 1982, the newer model features a GaAsP photodiode, which offers better accuracy and shorter response time than the CdS photoresistor. The printed circuit board is also improved (one glass-epoxy PCB with integrated circuits vs. two cotton paper / phenolic resin boards with discrete transistors) and the power consumption is down from 4.5mA to 1mA. Its needle is down (-) when the meter is off. From the outside, the switch has only one labeled position: ON:

Cheers!
Abbazz

flickr

Old 11-21-2018   #1499
dourbalistar

Pentax 6x7, S-M-C Takumar 6x7 55m f/3.5, Kodak 400TX, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 6 minutes.

2018.05.30 Roll #159-02301-Pano-positive.jpg

flickr

Old 11-21-2018   #1500
Abbazz
6x9 and be there!

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed info, Abbazz! Seems I have the older CdS prism.
You're welcome!

Quote:
Anyone have any tips for remembering to turn the meter off? I've forgotten a few times, only to discover a dead battery later.
I thought the CdS prism was supposed to switch off automatically after about 30 seconds.

Cheers!

Abbazz

Old 11-21-2018   #1501
FujiLove

I'm a bit puzzled about the metered prism info. I always thought the original version with 'Asahi Pentax' on the front was sold with the Pentax 6x7, and the newer version labelled 'Pentax' was changed when the Pentax 67 launched. Is that wrong? Were Pentax 6x7s also sold with the 'Pentax' style TTL prism finders?

The prism on my Pentax 67 (1989 onwards) is the later 'Pentax' type but has the old style switch with both on and off settings (pre 1982).

Edit: okay, just checked my 67, and the information above is definitely not right!...
My TTL prism looks like this:

Pentax label
On/Off switch
Needle is down when off

I can only conclude that it's one of the ultra-rare collectible versions, and worth a fortune...if anyone wants to make me an offer ;-)

Old 11-21-2018   #1502
BLKRCAT
99% Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujiLove View Post

Pentax label
On/Off switch
Needle is down when off

I can only conclude that it's one of the ultra-rare collectible versions, and worth a fortune...if anyone wants to make me an offer ;-)
You've just described my Prism. I don't think they are "ultra-rare". I've seen them not as common as old logo but not, "I've only seen one ever or never seen in person" rare.

Old 11-21-2018   #1503
FujiLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKRCAT View Post
You've just described my Prism. I don't think they are "ultra-rare". I've seen them not as common as old logo but not, "I've only seen one ever or never seen in person" rare.
So the question is, did the 6x7 sell with the ‘Pentax’ prism, or is the date of the change of metering cell/switch being 1982 incorrect?

Old 11-21-2018   #1504
BLKRCAT
99% Film

FYI I have a 67 not 6x7. I believe that the prism is of the time period of the body ie: it doesn't look like it's been pieced together over time. I bought them together from ebay Japan.

Old 11-21-2018   #1505
FujiLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKRCAT View Post
FYI I have a 67 not 6x7. I believe that the prism is of the time period of the body ie: it doesn't look like it's been pieced together over time. I bought them together from ebay Japan.
Yes, same here. They came as a package and appear to be ‘made for each other’, as it were.

Old 11-21-2018   #1506
Abbazz
6x9 and be there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujiLove View Post
I'm a bit puzzled about the metered prism info. I always thought the original version with 'Asahi Pentax' on the front was sold with the Pentax 6x7, and the newer version labelled 'Pentax' was changed when the Pentax 67 launched. Is that wrong? Were Pentax 6x7s also sold with the 'Pentax' style TTL prism finders?

The prism on my Pentax 67 (1989 onwards) is the later 'Pentax' type but has the old style switch with both on and off settings (pre 1982).

Edit: okay, just checked my 67, and the information above is definitely not right!...

Pentax label
On/Off switch
Needle is down when off

Sorry for the confusion in my first post but I got the models wrong. Both models described in the post (the one with CdS photoresistor -let's call it "Model I"- and the one with the GaAsP photodiode -let's call it "Model II") are labelled "Asahi Pentax" and have the "Asahi Optical Co." logo on the prism. They were both sold with the original Pentax 6x7.

Here's a picture of the Model I (cover of the user Manual):

And here's a picture of the Model II:

As far as I know, this Model II prism was released in 1981 or 1982 (without Pentax ever acknowledging the release of a new version), which is after the release of the Pentax 6x7 MLU in 1979. The later TTL prism labelled "Pentax" that you have (which of course has also a GaAsp photodiode and the improved circuit board) was released in 1989, together with the Pentax 67.

Cheers!

Abbazz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AsahiPentax TTL Finder model I.jpg (25.1 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg AsahiPentax TTL Finder model II.jpg (28.8 KB, 192 views)

Old 11-21-2018   #1507
Moto-Uno
Moto-Uno

^ Neither picture is viewable Peter
ps: now they're both visible , ain't technology great ?

Old 11-21-2018   #1508
dourbalistar

Quote:
You're welcome!

I thought the CdS prism was supposed to switch off automatically after about 30 seconds.

Cheers!
Abbazz
Hm, I checked a manual online, and it does note:
The meter will remain on for approx. 25 seconds. To save battery consumption, the meter may be turned off by sliding the switch to OFF immediately after you have made your reading.

That said, I have definitely (accidentally) left the meter on overnight, and found the battery to be dead in the morning - needle doesn't move, and battery check light doesn't illuminate. For what it's worth, I have the original 6x7 non-mirror lock-up version, with presumably a period-matched TTL prism.

flickr

Old 11-21-2018   #1509
Abbazz
6x9 and be there!

Quote:
Hm, I checked a manual online, and it does note:
The meter will remain on for approx. 25 seconds. To save battery consumption, the meter may be turned off by sliding the switch to OFF immediately after you have made your reading.

That said, I have definitely (accidentally) left the meter on overnight, and found the battery to be dead in the morning - needle doesn't move, and battery check light doesn't illuminate. For what it's worth, I have the original 6x7 non-mirror lock-up version, with presumably a period-matched TTL prism.
Yes, it seems I mixed up the pictures of both models. The Model II appears to be the one with the switch labeled "ON / OFF," while the Model I has only "ON."

When you switch on the Model I, the lever stays on the "ON" position indefinitely and draws current from the battery until you switch it back to "OFF".

With the Model II, you just flick the lever to switch the meter on and it goes back to its neutral position by itself. The meter stays on for 25-30 seconds and then the meter switches off automatically. When the meter is on, you can force it off by flicking the lever to the "OFF" position.

So I think you have the Model I. And there is no easy way to insert a delay in the electric circuit of the meter in order for it to switch off automatically. The manual you have is for the Model II (like the one on M. Butkus site).

Cheers!

Abbazz

Old 11-22-2018   #1510
FujiLove

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion in my first post but I got the models wrong. Both models described in the post (the one with CdS photoresistor -let's call it "Model I"- and the one with the GaAsP photodiode -let's call it "Model II") are labelled "Asahi Pentax" and have the "Asahi Optical Co." logo on the prism. They were both sold with the original Pentax 6x7.
Thanks for confirming!

Old 11-27-2018   #1511
dourbalistar

American LaFrance, 900 Series.

2018.09.01 Roll #178-02813-Pano-positive.jpg

flickr

Old 11-28-2018   #1512
charjohncarter

Nice one, I wish I got out more with my 6x7. Hand held??

Old 11-28-2018   #1513
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
Nice one, I wish I got out more with my 6x7. Hand held??
Thanks, I was really surprised to come upon such a unique fire truck. Almost all of my 6x7 photos have been hand held. Lately, I've had more shots with motion blur, since I'm often pushing my luck on the edge of hand-holdable shutter speeds of 1/30 or 1/60.

flickr

Old 11-30-2018   #1514
dourbalistar

2018.09.01 Roll #178-02825-Pano-positive.jpg

flickr

Old 12-01-2018   #1515
charjohncarter

My kids would never stand still for me. Cute kids for sure.

Old 12-01-2018   #1516
PRJ
Another Day in Paradise

I had a 67 MLU for a few years. They are nice cameras, and you can't argue with the image quality. I ended up selling it though because they have a kind of design flaw that makes them inconvenient to shoot with a telephoto lens for exposures that are "normal". I don't remember anymore what the range was, but with a 200 on it, the shutter speed had to be either really fast, or really slow otherwise the camera shake from the shutter/mirror bouncing around would yield images that weren't sharp. It was a nuisance if you used a telephoto, and it didn't matter how big and heavy the tripod was. Unfortunate.

Still, the camera was excellent. The 45mm lens I had was just amazing, and the 105 deserves it reputation. I just couldn't get over that problem with the telephotos....

Old 12-01-2018   #1517
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
My kids would never stand still for me. Cute kids for sure.
Thanks, John. To get them to stand still and cooperate, I have to do a fair amount of pleading, and maybe a little bit of bribery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRJ View Post
I had a 67 MLU for a few years. They are nice cameras, and you can't argue with the image quality. I ended up selling it though because they have a kind of design flaw that makes them inconvenient to shoot with a telephoto lens for exposures that are "normal". I don't remember anymore what the range was, but with a 200 on it, the shutter speed had to be either really fast, or really slow otherwise the camera shake from the shutter/mirror bouncing around would yield images that weren't sharp. It was a nuisance if you used a telephoto, and it didn't matter how big and heavy the tripod was. Unfortunate.

Still, the camera was excellent. The 45mm lens I had was just amazing, and the 105 deserves it reputation. I just couldn't get over that problem with the telephotos....
Yeah, I've been struggling a bit lately getting sharp photos without (hand-held) camera shake. The resolution and image quality is outstanding, but it cuts both ways. When you nail it, it's captivating, but when you just miss, it's agonizing. I think with 35mm, you can get away with a bit more camera shake because there's less resolution.

flickr

Old 12-02-2018   #1518
leicapixie

I never suffered with "camera shake"!
Handheld or tripod, i made great sharp images..
A lot of detailed close-up work, HOT flood light and ***, why no smaller than f32!
My tripod originally for 4x5, with a "large supporting plate" no ball head..

I sold my 6x7 no MLU, because of bulk, weight and 6x7..
I kept my Rollei Automat..rarely used.

Old 12-02-2018   #1519
leicapixie

I really liked my Pentax 6x7, no MLU.
I loved the feel of SLR, the flat film, no turns.
The lenses exquisite and that lovely rectangle 6x7 cm..
Color superb and the lenses were and are great.

Last edited by leicapixie : 12-02-2018 at 02:03. Reason: Double post!

Old 12-02-2018   #1520
Moto-Uno
Moto-Uno

^ Would I be out of line if I mentioned the 2 above posts seem at odds with each other ? Peter