Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF News

RFF News News related to photography and rangefinderforum.

Old 11-12-2018   #121
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
Although not competitive, it sounds like a real thing...which is better than all those scams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
You don't think $3500 for this camera with these specs isn't a scam of sorts?
If I had to buy something scam-y, I'd buy the Yashica Y35 and save the 3000+ $ for hem, another digital camera.

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 11-12-2018   #122
santino
eXpect me

At least it looks good...
I hope they are going to lower the price by 1500 or so.

Old 11-12-2018   #123
bayernfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayernfan View Post
I don't like being pessimistic, but I suspect this will be an overpriced crop-sensor camera.
sometimes i hate it when i'm right.

Old 11-12-2018   #124
Corran

Should've stayed vaporware.

Old 11-12-2018   #125
Huss

I'm surprised that they can source 12mp aps-c sensors. What do those cost now, a nickel?

Old 11-12-2018   #126
DougFord
on the good foot

Perhaps a monochrome sensor. Keep it simple. Presumably the designers would rather write the code for a monochrome source. Or did they specify otherwise?

the walk

Old 11-12-2018   #127
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Who would buy this over a used M240? I mean it is a nice design and I do think it is cool to see someone attempt something new, but you can't charge the Leica tax on an under-spec'd camera when you are not Leica...
Good point!

Old 11-12-2018   #128
YouAreHere

Maybe this one is proof of concept and their next model will be what the M9 was to the M8.

Old 11-13-2018   #129
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
I'm surprised that they can source 12mp aps-c sensors. What do those cost now, a nickel?
Now? I've never seen any other 12mp 4/3 sensor used in a camera...

Old 11-13-2018   #130
Paul T.

it's a niche camera. Priced at far less than was the M-8 on launch. It's meaningless to compare the price with a second-hand camera in terms of whether it's a rip off. In fact it's silly to call it a rip-off; plainly no one will make a fortune from this. 20 per cent of that price in Europe will be purchase tax anyway. So stop being grumpy old men.

Far more important than the price, which professional photographers will offset against tax anyway, is corner smearing and how well that rangefinder actually works. When folks are getting all nostalgic about the Epson RD they ought also to remember how we had to keep sending the damn things off for RF recalibraiton etc.

Old 11-13-2018   #131
presspass
filmshooter

I really enjoy threads like this. It's amazing how many people have opinions about a product that has no firm price, no firm specifications, and no firm release date. Talk about vaporware.

Old 11-13-2018   #132
mod2001
Old school modernist

Quote:
Originally Posted by presspass View Post
I really enjoy threads like this. It's amazing how many people have opinions about a product that has no firm price, no firm specifications, and no firm release date. Talk about vaporware.
Then you should visit the German DSLR-Forum, they have a part there which is solely dedicated to speculations, 50 pages and more about a yet unknown camera or lens ore whatever are not unusual. And if the product gets announced (like the PiXII), there is then another part which is only dedicated to announcements, adding another 50 pages or more. For example in case of the Canon R, 522 posts in the speculation part and 1787 posts when the R was announced but still no clear specs or price available.

Juergen

Old 11-13-2018   #133
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I cap my JPEG1 and if camera is capable, RAW files to 10-12 MP.
And I convert my edited JEPG1 files to 2MB, 2800 pixels on long side.

12MP might be the fw cap for fast transfer. This camera meant to be external camera for mobile phone and for those who are using mobile devices to edit images and to look at them on Insta.

It is a niche product indeed. Who needs MPs and large sensor if pictures are edited and viewed on mobile phone?

I think these guys knew and understand more than Zeiss .

Old 11-13-2018   #134
Fjäll

How about making an affordable and simple digital Leica M mount camera?

Old 11-13-2018   #135
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjäll View Post
For whatever reason, manufacturers and dreamers have decided they will try any and everything but that.

Old 11-13-2018   #136
Rayt

Quote:
My film Leicas are 20 to 50 years old and built like a tank. Same with my Rollei TLRs. They will last forever even with regular use. What I don’t understand is why make a solid metal digital M when it’s practical life span is less than 10 years and most people upgrade within 3 or 5? Can digital M Leicas be more affordable if made from a polymer exterior or would the fans not buy it at all? Seems like an obvious place to cut costs? Or maybe offer an alternative model with a more disposable shell?

Old 11-13-2018   #137
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayt View Post
My film Leicas are 20 to 50 years old and built like a tank. Same with my Rollei TLRs. They will last forever even with regular use. What I don’t understand is why make a solid metal digital M when it’s practical life span is less than 10 years and most people upgrade within 3 or 5? Can digital M Leicas be more affordable if made from a polymer exterior or would the fans not buy it at all? Seems like an obvious place to cut costs? Or maybe offer an alternative model with a more disposable shell?
Why do you think the "practical life span is less than 10 years"? I see no reason why any current Leica M digital camera can't last 15 to 25 years. My 2003 Olympus E-1 DSLR is still going strong, and makes lovely photographs. Heck, even my M-D typ 262 is already almost three years old ... it's a long, long, long way from being worn out or unusable.

The fact is that most any quality digital camera made in the last decade and a half was likely discarded long before it was used up due to the forces of marketing and rising user expectations, not through lack of reliability and durability.

G

Old 11-13-2018   #138
Rayt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
Why do you think the "practical life span is less than 10 years"? I see no reason why any current Leica M digital camera can't last 15 to 25 years. My 2003 Olympus E-1 DSLR is still going strong, and makes lovely photographs. Heck, even my M-D typ 262 is already almost three years old ... it's a long, long, long way from being worn out or unusable.

The fact is that most any quality digital camera made in the last decade and a half was likely discarded long before it was used up due to the forces of marketing and rising user expectations, not through lack of reliability and durability.

G
In this disposable society I tip my hat to you sir. I am also using an M8.2. However not everyone feel the way you. But then again I am sure companies would prefer their consumer base to keep buying and buying and not having the used market as their biggest competitor.

Old 11-18-2018   #139
Bille

• APS-C sensor
  • prices from 3.540 € (body only)
https://pixii.fr/specifications

Old 01-01-2019   #140
c.poulton

I really liked the concept of the Pixii - unobtrusive and as close to a film camera as you can get, however the cost is unbelievable and completely out of my range. It's a crop sensor as well! I've just checked and I can buy a new Fujifilm X-Pro2 for £1,119 or €1,240 - under half the price!

I'm sorry, I really wanted to like the Pixii but they've killed it with their pricing.

My Gallery
My Flickr

Old 01-01-2019   #141
peterm1

Sacre Bleu! It looks like a Hermes hand bag had a love child with a pair of Christian Louboutin shoes, and costs more than a Tiffany necklace. Let's hope it does not smell like cheese.

Old 01-01-2019   #142
c.poulton

To really appreciate how Pixii are pricing themselves out of the market, you can get a Leica CL for £2,250 (inc. vat) - now if I had the money, which one would I choose?

https://www.leicastore-uk.co.uk/prod...eica-cl-silver

My Gallery
My Flickr

Old 01-01-2019   #143
mod2001
Old school modernist

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.poulton View Post
To really appreciate how Pixii are pricing themselves out of the market, you can get a Leica CL for £2,250 (inc. vat) - now if I had the money, which one would I choose?

https://www.leicastore-uk.co.uk/prod...eica-cl-silver
You're comparing apples with oranges, neither the XPro nor the CL are Rangefinders, thats what you mainly pay for because there's no competition on the market, see Leica M or Epson RD1 before. But agree, can't see a market at this price anyway. On the other hand, was my thought too when I heard the price of the CL when you can get a Fuji X-E3 for half the price with nearly identical specs. You never know.

My concern would be to invest so much money with the uncertainty if the company still exists in a few month (guarantee, repairs, software updates and so on). Like the concept though.

Juergen

Old 01-01-2019   #144
ptpdprinter

€3,540 for a camera with a 12MP APS-C sensor? Did they buy these sensors as an NOS lot on eBay? Surely no one currently fabricates them.

Old 01-01-2019   #145
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
€3,540 for a camera with a 12MP APS-C sensor? Did they buy these sensors as an NOS lot on eBay? Surely no one currently fabricates them.
I've seen some speculate that they are using the CMV12000 v2 sensor. It is a current product.

https://ams.com/cmv12000

Single unit price is $2,030.81.

Shawn

Old 01-01-2019   #146
splitimageview

It's very very difficult to get component prices down to the levels that the major (Sonylumpuscanikons) manufacturers pay. They simply have huge volumes compared to a startup.

This unfortunately will doom this product.

Old 01-01-2019   #147
Huss

Quote:
Affordable is relative. Simple is not.

Old 01-03-2019   #148
umcelinho
Marcelo

if it cost 10% of what they're going for, it'd feel appealing. but an apsc electronic shutter camera for 3.5k euro, seriously... nope.

Old 01-03-2019   #149
umcelinho
Marcelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bille View Post
  • APS-C sensor
  • prices from 3.540 € (body only)
https://pixii.fr/specifications

sums it up beautifully

Old 01-03-2019   #150
umcelinho
Marcelo

Quote:
I just want an R-D1 with a fullframe sensor that has decent high iso performance. just that. it'd be my dream camera.

Old 01-04-2019   #151
siracusa

I think it's cool that there's something out there that's a little different, and I wish them every success with it. I don't know anything about the company, but it's nice to see a new company emerge with a camera that is different and niche.

I would certainly like to try one - why not? I'm curious. Would I buy one? Well, I'm covered for cameras so that question doesn't even arise - and if it did the PIXII is out of my price bracket. Introducing a new rangefinder is a nice concept, though.

You know what else? I love the slightly eccentric old Foca rangefinders, and I'm as happy as anything that there's a new camera by a French company out there. Good luck to them for having a go.

Old 01-04-2019   #152
markjwyatt

11 Megapixel (4080x2732)? Seems a little low by today's standards (i7 level, but larger sensor). Hard to compete with Fujifilm cameras with that price. I am not sure having software on the phone is an advantage.