Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Nikon Mirrorless

Nikon Mirrorless Overdue about 3 years, the Nikon Mirrorless system finally arrived in 2018!

Anyone getting the 58mm 0.95?
Old 11-15-2018   #1
Huss

Anyone getting the 58mm 0.95?

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-pr...or-z-noct.page

https://petapixel.com/2018/08/23/thi...ultimate-lens/

Rumour has it that it will be $6K.
So still 1/2 the price of a Noctilux. And twice the size.

I'm interested.

Old 11-15-2018   #2
Mackinaw
Think Different

To answer the question posed in the title of this thread, no, I won't be buying this lens.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 11-15-2018   #3
Contarama

Concept is sound. I'm not so sure about the execution. I'd probably opt for an old 58/1.2 and the adapter instead

Old 11-15-2018   #4
Larry Cloetta

If I had a Z7, I’d be very interested.

Old 11-15-2018   #5
Sumarongi
Registered Vaudevillain

If I should ever discover that my hobby is photographing eye lashes where half the eye lash is sharp and the other half out-of-focus, then I simply need that lens

Old 11-15-2018   #6
DanskDynamit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumarongi View Post
If I should ever discover that my hobby is photographing eye lashes where half the eye lash is sharp and the other half out-of-focus, then I simply need that lens
my thoughts too.

Old 11-16-2018   #7
Yokosuka_Mike
The Beat Goes On

I've been down the f.95 road before and I feel no need to go down that road again. Frankly, the more I dabble with the 50mm f3.5, and 50mm f2 lenses, as well as the ZM 85mm f4 lens, the more I question the need for these ultra fast 0.95 lenses. I find for my artistic journey, character, uniqueness, rendering quality, things that bring joy to the process of creating images are more important (to me) than high speed where the tip of a nose is in focus and the eyes are a total blur. But, whatever, each their own. Did they say that Noct 58mm f.95 was $6000?

Lovin, life,
Mike

Old 11-16-2018   #8
nickthetasmaniac

No.

Ignoring the fact that I don't have a Nikon Z (maybe one day?), and ignoring the fact that I can't afford $6k for a lens, I'm just not that into the modern trend of gigantic normal primes...

Zeiss Otus 55/f1.4 - 970g
Sigma 50/f1.4 Art - 815g
Pentax D-FA* 50/f1.4 - 910g
Tokina Opera 50/f1.4 - 950g
Sony Planar T* 50/f1.4 - 778g

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 11-16-2018   #9
jsrockit

Nope... too large and MF.

Old 11-16-2018   #10
css9450

My fastest lens is a 1.4 and even that one never gets used close to wide open. I'm not that kind of photographer.

I think the f0.95 lenses are probably aimed at video shooters.

Old 11-16-2018   #11
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

The DOF must be measured in nanometers! Count me out.

Old 11-16-2018   #12
B-9
Devin Bro

Manual focus only huh...

It’s huge!

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 11-16-2018   #13
raid
Dad Photographer

Why would anybody actually need to buy such a lens? In my case, I do not need this lens even I had the cash ready be spent like that.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 11-16-2018   #14
brbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Why would anybody actually need to buy such a lens? In my case, I do not need this lens even I had the cash ready be spent like that.
Because the stars aren't getting any brighter?

We do know this is not a (primarily) portrait lens?

(And, no, I won't be getting 58/0.95. It wouldn't fit in my car.)

Old 11-16-2018   #15
Huss

Not sure why everyone is fixated on eyelashes, that is what macro lenses are for..

I see this as a great way to shoot full length portraits with the 50/58mm perspective while providing isolation from the surroundings.

I'm curious as to why it is not an AF lens. After all it is in the Z mount, which only has AF bodies (so it's not like you can use it on an F3), and the Z bodies now have excellent AF (especially after the 1.02 firmware update which was released 2 days ago). They are fantastic MF bodies, but if this lens was an AF it would be so more appealing for many.

Still diggin' the concept. And half the price of a Noctilux but gets to play with a modern sensor.

Old 11-16-2018   #16
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Not sure why everyone is fixated on eyelashes, that is what macro lenses are for..

I see this as a great way to shoot full length portraits with the 50/58mm perspective while providing isolation from the surroundings.

Still diggin' the concept. And half the price of a Noctilux but gets to play with a modern sensor.
That’s what I thought. My feeling was it might be one of those lenses which, in and of itself, was enough reason to buy a certain camera body.
Obviously not the consensus view here, but, when the “What's the Best UNDER $50 Ebay Rangefinder?” thread here is 8 pages long, maybe I should not have been surprised

Is it “too big”? I don’t know. Anybody else make a f/0.95 58mm that performs as well, and is smaller? We’ll have to wait and see. If it turns out there is nothing else like it that’s smaller, then it’s not “too big”, though it might be bigger than some people want to use. But those are two separate things.

Old 11-16-2018   #17
FrozenInTime

The ergonomics of the lens look terrible:
The focus ring is far away from the body and the ring so deep that there is no hand rest area other than the tripod mount L . With all that weight up from its going to be tough to hold and focus without the combo mounted on a movie rig.
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 11-16-2018   #18
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenInTime View Post
The ergonomics of the lens look terrible:
The focus ring is far away from the body and the ring so deep that there is no hand rest area other than the tripod mount L . With all that weight up from its going to be tough to hold and focus without the combo mounted on a movie rig.
Hmm, that tripod mount suggests Nikon's intention. I think it would be great with a monopod. In fact it would be necessary as then the left hand focuses while the right hand operates the shutter button.

This is obviously a specialized piece and should be viewed that way. It is not designed as a lightweight, walk around, compact, hand-holdable item.
if you want a lens like that, there are plenty out there.

Old 11-16-2018   #19
Alberti

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post

I think the f0.95 lenses are probably aimed at video shooters.
That is also what I think, the lack of resolution of the old Canon 0.95 [designed for video camera's?] matched video very well because of the inherent low res of film - you don't notice in the flow of frames, but you enjoy the uncluttered background.
I am already happy with my Jupiter-3 that at 1.4 has more wiped out backgrounds than the Canon 1.4 LTM.

Old 11-17-2018   #20
mod2001
Old school modernist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
, and the Z bodies now have excellent AF (especially after the 1.02 firmware update which was released 2 days ago).
Interesting, because better AF-Performance was not mentioned by Nikon in the FW-desription and I'm quite confident they would if they improved the AF.

Regarding the initial question, no interest in this lens. Instead I would use my 50/1.2 AI-S with adapter. Love the f1.2 for environmental full body portraits, but shoot other stuff mostly at f2-f2.8 where imho this lens shines like no other 50mm lens from Nikon. This was the initial reason to buy it, not the f1.2 possibility.

Juergen

Old 11-17-2018   #21
RichC

99% of my photographs are f/8-f/16, so no....!

I once owned both the Summilux 35mm and 50mm - I had them for 6 years but never shot below about f/4, let alone f/1.4. (Still, good investments though: bought in 2006 for about £500 each, sold in 2012 for £1000 each!)

-=Rich=-

Portfolio: www.richcutler.co.uk

Old 11-19-2018   #22
rayvonn

Too large and too expensive. It's about boasting power as much as anything else. F1.4 is about as wide as one needs to go these days and even then F2 is enough.

Old 11-19-2018   #23
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod2001 View Post
Interesting, because better AF-Performance was not mentioned by Nikon in the FW-desription and I'm quite confident they would if they improved the AF.

Regarding the initial question, no interest in this lens. Instead I would use my 50/1.2 AI-S with adapter. Love the f1.2 for environmental full body portraits, but shoot other stuff mostly at f2-f2.8 where imho this lens shines like no other 50mm lens from Nikon. This was the initial reason to buy it, not the f1.2 possibility.

Juergen
I have the 50 1.2 ais and it does not match up to modern lenses like my Sigma Art 50 1.4 when used on my z7. Colour, contrast, sharpness etc. But it is still v nice on film.

Many users have reported improved af perf in AF-C mode. Perhaps Nikon did not mention it as they do not want to admit it may have needed work ?

Old 11-19-2018   #24
Colin Corneau
Colin Corneau

I'm all for fast primes. Love the look, it's fast becoming part of my style and one of my favourite photographers really rocks that look too...to each their own but it's nice to have 0.95 even if you don't use it. You can stop down!

Manual focus is no big deal, you've got focus peaking which is probably as good or better, really. I just find it funny that a camera company brags that their new camera is the fastest AF they've ever created, and the one lens that's actually interesting from the new crop is...manual focus!

"Viva Film Renaissance"

Old 11-19-2018   #25
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvonn View Post
Too large and too expensive. It's about boasting power as much as anything else. F1.4 is about as wide as one needs to go these days and even then F2 is enough.
Wide enough for your uses? But not others. It’s about light gathering for astro photography and subject isolation in full length portraiture.

Old 11-19-2018   #26
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
I'm all for fast primes. Love the look, it's fast becoming part of my style and one of my favourite photographers really rocks that look too...to each their own but it's nice to have 0.95 even if you don't use it. You can stop down!

Manual focus is no big deal, you've got focus peaking which is probably as good or better, really. I just find it funny that a camera company brags that their new camera is the fastest AF they've ever created, and the one lens that's actually interesting from the new crop is...manual focus!
The mf bit is kinda strange. The lens has a digital panel w DOF readouts so
perhaps Nikon has a very specific use for it in mind?