Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc

Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc A place to discuss the delights of photo accessories, including bags, meters, tripods, filters, straps, camera cases, lens hoods, anything non digital that can make your gearhead life a little bit more enjoyable.

Filson + Magnum
Old 06-02-2014   #1
RFluhver

Filson + Magnum

I guess many of you know that Filson and Magnum have got into some sort of partnership that's resulted in these especially designed bags. Anybody considering or has already bought one of these?

Honestly, I already have plenty of bags but that Harvey Messenger looks really well designed. It's got those compartments on either side that are exactly what I thought were missing from my Billingham.

Old 06-02-2014   #2
kshapero
Press the Shutter

I use a Filson bag (Original briefcase) on a daily basis. I put a camera insert in it so I am good to go. Filson bags are indestructible and wear beautifully. These Magnum new bags look awesome.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 06-02-2014   #3
TKH

The details of the Filson camera field bag look like a nearly copy of the Ona bags for the triple price?

Samyang 12mm f2 + XF 18mm f2 + Olympus Zuiko 24mm f2.8 with Kipon Tilt/Shift + XF 35mm f1.4 + XF 56mm f1.2 + XC 50-230mm

My English B/W Photo Blog

My German Photo Blog

Old 06-02-2014   #4
RFluhver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKH View Post
The details of the Filson camera field bag look like a nearly copy of the Ona bags for the triple price?
Let's not get over excited here OK.

Which ONA bag are you talking about?

Old 06-02-2014   #5
TKH

For example the Bowery:

http://www.onabags.com/store/small-g...-tan#field-tan

http://www.filson.com/products/camer...aProduct=cc15/

The backside is simple identical. But the bags are nice. A mixture of Billingham and Ona, I think. The price is not triple, sorry. Its only a little higher than the Ona.

Samyang 12mm f2 + XF 18mm f2 + Olympus Zuiko 24mm f2.8 with Kipon Tilt/Shift + XF 35mm f1.4 + XF 56mm f1.2 + XC 50-230mm

My English B/W Photo Blog

My German Photo Blog

Old 06-02-2014   #6
BlackXList

The Harvey messenger especially looks nice, and I wish them luck for the venture, the prices are NOT for me though.

Old 06-02-2014   #7
MCTuomey

nice bags

i have a filson briefcase for work. mondo indestructo. not cheap, was a gift.

i won an all-but-new filson game bag messenger on the 'bay for way under half the price of these "magnum" bags, put an insert in it, good to go, same function as the harvey model. looks a bit less like a camera bag than the magnum versions. when i use it i look like i'm going shooting all right. bird shooting.

the ona bowery is maybe 2/3rds the size and capacity of the filson harvey msgr or the camera field bag, maybe less.

has joe seen these yet?

My Flickr

Last edited by MCTuomey : 06-02-2014 at 15:10. Reason: add comparison

Old 06-02-2014   #8
kuvvy

Look decent bags but I won't manage the price. Bought an Ona Bowery which are expensive enough and I don't really like that.

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 06-02-2014   #9
back alley
IMAGES

i like the slightly larger widths of these bags...

Old 06-02-2014   #10
burancap

Nice looking, but I'm such a sucker for Billingham.

Old 06-02-2014   #11
Matthew Runkel

These bags seem to be tweaks of some of Filson's existing styles, rather than new ground-up designs for photography. The emphasis in these new bags appears to have been to match the existing Filson aesthetic. I don't feel these are the bags that Harvey and McCurry would have come up with in a vacuum as their ideal expressions of a bag.

Filson makes great stuff, but when choosing a camera bag, I shy away from buckles, metal zippers and overly heavy (as in weight) construction.

If you put a Filson next to an ONA, you will be able to see where the money goes.

Old 06-02-2014   #12
TXForester

If the quality is the same as their hunting clothes from the past, you could pass the bag down to your great-grandchildren.

Democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey-cage. ― H.L. Mencken

Old 06-02-2014   #13
ivanuskokovic

If any of you happen to be in NYC and want to see these bags in person, I have them all in stock at K&M, 368 Broadway. You can then be the judge. Filson + Magnum collaborated for some really stunning bags.

Old 06-02-2014   #14
Ranchu
-

Old 06-03-2014   #15
BlackXList

Clearly they're variations on existing types, I don't have a problem with that.

If they've taken existing designs to Harvey, McCurry etc and said "ok how would you alter this so it's better for you in use" then that makes a lot of sense.

More bag manufacturers should do that kind of thing.

It's at the other end of the scale, but I'm always impressed by how Incase have thought their products through from a user's point of view rather than just a design point of view.

Old 06-03-2014   #16
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXForester View Post
If the quality is the same as their hunting clothes from the past, you could pass the bag down to your great-grandchildren.
truth be told.

Old 06-03-2014   #17
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanuskokovic View Post
If any of you happen to be in NYC and want to see these bags in person, I have them all in stock at K&M, 368 Broadway. You can then be the judge. Filson + Magnum collaborated for some really stunning bags.
whoa another required stop when in NYC? What is K&M?

Old 11-24-2014   #18
agoglanian
Reconnected.

Resurrection!

I have just purchased the Harvey Messenger myself and my only complaint is that the shoulder strap is too short for tall people. I'm getting used to it, but the bottom of the bag barely reaches below my beltline when worn across my chest (I'm 6'3").

The quality of the bag is excellent, and I actually like that it's not designed to carry a TON of gear inside, and that the insert doesn't span the entire internal width of the bag. What this does is allow the bag to hug against your body (something I have been craving forever) and keeps it from sliding around all over the place.

I talked with Filson asking if they by chance had longer straps available or if they could do an alteration and they said no. Then I asked if I was to replace the strap with my own (say a 2" Domke shoulder strap) would the rest of the bag be covered under their guarantee and they said no.

So as much as I like this bag I need to decide whether to just wear it as is or void any guarantee and swap the strap (an easy and immediate solution to my only problem).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010477.jpg (189.9 KB, 52 views)

M-A | M10 | 500CM | P67II

Instagram. | Website.

Old 11-24-2014   #19
FrozenInTime

I got the camera field bag - it really is top notch.
The strap clips on so - it might be the better choice for tall people.

Only thing so far I would change is the addition of a full length inner back slot for a laptop/ipad, but I think I can work around that.

Old 11-24-2014   #20
agoglanian
Reconnected.

Yeah I looked at that one too. I like it, but I was drawn to the Harvey (which is essentially the Game Bag).

I still really like the bag overall though. Definitely one of the more expensive bags I've ever bought, but I sold off all my excess bags so I don't mind.

M-A | M10 | 500CM | P67II

Instagram. | Website.

Old 11-24-2014   #21
Timmyjoe

I've been wearing a Filson leather belt for decades. Replaced it recently and the new one isn't made quite as well as the one I bought 20-some years ago, but it's still a nice piece.

I think their bags look nice, but none are big enough to carry what I carry in my Domke F-6. Couldn't afford a camera bag that cost's three times as much and carries half the gear.

But that could be just me.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 11-25-2014   #22
bigeye

Bought the filson field bag in '89-'90 for goose hunting (it's a shell bag). It will last my lifetime in hard use and that makes it pretty inexpensive.

It's always gone hunting (just fall and early winter) but my wife took it around the world summers during the '90s as her day pack. Around 2005, dropped in a green Billingham liner to carry the Leica kit. It blends into the city and the country.

I lift the liner out this week, with the camera gear inside and it goes back to work for the season (10lbs of shells and calls). It's the real deal.

Old 11-25-2014   #23
rolfe

The Filson Magnum is larger than you might gather from the photos...

Old 11-25-2014   #24
sghaynes
Sghaynes

I've had one of their bags that I carried with me every day 5 days a week for the last 15 years. It's dirty, beat up, but so tough it's amazing. And yes, it has a camera in it every single day.

Now, if mine would only wear out I'd buy a new Filson. Probably got another 15 or so years on this one though....

Old 11-10-2018   #25
Stephengv

Ayone using the backpack?

Old 11-10-2018   #26
newsgrunt

afaik, Filson isn't selling Magnum bags anymore.

Old 11-10-2018   #27
Stephengv

Someone is selling it to me. Is it worth it? for an M gear. Thanks.

Old 11-10-2018   #28
peterm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeye View Post
Bought the filson field bag in '89-'90 for goose hunting (it's a shell bag). It will last my lifetime in hard use and that makes it pretty inexpensive.

It's always gone hunting (just fall and early winter) but my wife took it around the world summers during the '90s as her day pack. Around 2005, dropped in a green Billingham liner to carry the Leica kit. It blends into the city and the country.

I lift the liner out this week, with the camera gear inside and it goes back to work for the season (10lbs of shells and calls). It's the real deal.
Field bags are a great option for a camera bag - in fact its how Billingham started out originally - making cartridge, fishing and game bags from leather and canvas. I am not sure how they compare price wise with what were the competition in that field.

If you Google "leather and canvas field bag" you will get an awful lot of hits and many of them look like Billingham. Or, more accurately, before Billingham started making camera bags their field abgs looked pretty much like the ones depicted at this search and I assume many of the top end offerings from other makers did too.

https://www.bradybags.co.uk/bags/dar...shing.bag.html

Old 11-10-2018   #29
Stephengv

Anyone using the backpack version of the filson magnum?

Old 11-11-2018   #30
newsgrunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephengv View Post

depends on price and whether you like working with backpacks or not. they're a spendy bag and a friend has/had them but I haven't actually seen on irl I prefer Domke or ThinkTank.

Old 11-11-2018   #31
bob338

Quote:
Anyone using the backpack version of the filson magnum?
I have been using one off and on for a couple years. I like it, but there are definitely more ergonomic bags out there. It holds a lot of stuff. I can squeeze clothing and gear for about two days in it, but I travel pretty light. Quality is excellent, and it's comfortable to wear.

Old 11-11-2018   #32
bob338

Quote:
How much are they asking?

Old 11-11-2018   #33
emraphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by sghaynes View Post
I've had one of their bags that I carried with me every day 5 days a week for the last 15 years. It's dirty, beat up, but so tough it's amazing. And yes, it has a camera in it every single day.

Now, if mine would only wear out I'd buy a new Filson. Probably got another 15 or so years on this one though....
Ditto. Thousands of miles, over a decade of use and still use it daily. I suspect it will outlive me.

Old 11-11-2018   #34
Contarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by agoglanian View Post
Resurrection!

I have just purchased the Harvey Messenger myself and my only complaint is that the shoulder strap is too short for tall people. I'm getting used to it, but the bottom of the bag barely reaches below my beltline when worn across my chest (I'm 6'3").

The quality of the bag is excellent, and I actually like that it's not designed to carry a TON of gear inside, and that the insert doesn't span the entire internal width of the bag. What this does is allow the bag to hug against your body (something I have been craving forever) and keeps it from sliding around all over the place.

I talked with Filson asking if they by chance had longer straps available or if they could do an alteration and they said no. Then I asked if I was to replace the strap with my own (say a 2" Domke shoulder strap) would the rest of the bag be covered under their guarantee and they said no.

So as much as I like this bag I need to decide whether to just wear it as is or void any guarantee and swap the strap (an easy and immediate solution to my only problem).
Take it to an upholstery shop and have it altered. Then enjoy!

Old 11-11-2018   #35
Stephengv

They are selling it brand new for 400 USD. Expensive, but I can't find one brand new.

Old 11-11-2018   #36
Stephengv

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob338 View Post
I have been using one off and on for a couple years. I like it, but there are definitely more ergonomic bags out there. It holds a lot of stuff. I can squeeze clothing and gear for about two days in it, but I travel pretty light. Quality is excellent, and it's comfortable to wear.
Does it fade? any other issues?

Old 11-11-2018   #37
Stephengv

Quote:
Originally Posted by emraphoto View Post
Ditto. Thousands of miles, over a decade of use and still use it daily. I suspect it will outlive me.
Is that the backpack?