Arista EDU 400 now made in USA?
Old 10-30-2018   #1
pismo923

Arista EDU 400 now made in USA?

I don't know if this is old news but I see that the 24-exp rolls of Arista EDU 400 are now NAFTA qualified and made in USA according to B&H. The 36-exp rolls are still from Czech Republic. I ordered 15 rolls so will soon see what it is. Am I safe to assume it is re-badged Kodak?

Old 10-30-2018   #2
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pismo923 View Post
Am I safe to assume it is re-badged Kodak?
Unless you know of another US 35mm film manufacturer.

Old 10-30-2018   #3
Steve M.

Call Freestyle Photo if you want to find out. I trust the folks at B&H about as far as I could throw them. The people at Freestyle are the best in the business.

Old 10-30-2018   #4
Sumarongi
Registered Vaudevillain

«Arista.EDU» —— that should be the address of a prestigious university

Old 10-30-2018   #5
Skiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
Unless you know of another US 35mm film manufacturer.
Interestingly there really is one . At least a film manufacturer, but not for 35mm photo film.
It is Carestream in Colorado, the former healthcare division of Kodak. They are producing X-ray films (like Fujifilm, Agfa and Foma).
They are also producing the RA-4 silver-halide papers for Kodak Alaris, since Kodak Alaris has shut down their own paper factory in Harrow, England.

Old 10-30-2018   #6
dourbalistar

Fujifilm has a manufacturing facility in South Carolina, but I don't think they produce photographic film there:
https://www.fujifilmusa.com/about/co...cturing/about/

flickr

Old 10-30-2018   #7
B-9
Devin Bro

Interesting, so if it was kodak might you say its just TMY400?

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 10-30-2018   #8
Skiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dourbalistar View Post
Fujifilm has a manufacturing facility in South Carolina, but I don't think they produce photographic film there:
https://www.fujifilmusa.com/about/co...cturing/about/
They are producing single use cameras there. The film is probably shipped from Japan (but in 2001 a complete new film factory was opened there according the the history on the Fujifilm page).
They are definitely producing silver-halide RA-4 photo paper there. Fujifilm as market leader has three paper factories: Japan, Netherlands (Tilburg) and this in South Carolina.

Old 10-30-2018   #9
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-9 View Post
Interesting, so if it was kodak might you say its just TMY400?
Might be Tri-X; thats the Kodak film Freestyle used last time they sold an American made 400 speed BW film under the Arista name.

Old 10-30-2018   #10
Pioneer

Or it is still Fomapan 400 and BHPhoto, because they are sourcing the film from Freestyle, is advertising it as a USA made film.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 10-30-2018   #11
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

And here I was, thinking that Arista EDU 400 was the label chosen for the old version/old stock of Agfa APX 400.
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide

Old 10-30-2018   #12
pismo923

@pioneer - there was no duty charged when I paid for it so it can't be fomapan even if it was sourced from Freestyle.

Old 10-30-2018   #13
Sumarongi
Registered Vaudevillain

Quote:
Arista EDU Ultra is a budget range of Black & White films by Freestyle Photographic, USA in three speeds (ISO 100, 200, 400) in 135, 120 and sheet film formats. They are currently the same as the equivalent speed films produced by FOMA.[26] 135 films are not DX coded.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lms#Arista_EDU

Old 10-30-2018   #14
Pioneer

Quote:
I don't know if this is old news but I see that the 24-exp rolls of Arista EDU 400 are now NAFTA qualified and made in USA according to B&H. The 36-exp rolls are still from Czech Republic. I ordered 15 rolls so will soon see what it is. Am I safe to assume it is re-badged Kodak?
Kristina Loughery at Freestyle is curious where you found this information on B&H Photo.

According to Kristina all of the Arista EDU Ultra branded films are still produced in the Czech Republic.

Dan

Old 10-30-2018   #15
pismo923

@pioneer - I saw it on BH site. Only the 24 exp arista EDU 400 says NAFTA Qualified. All other Arista regardless of format does not mention NAFTA. I thought it strange so called BH and they said country of origin was USA

Old 10-30-2018   #16
Moto-Uno
Moto-Uno

I have before me 3 rolls of Arista EDU 400 , received last week from B&H , each film roll clearly states made in the Czech republic . These are 120 film. Peter

Old 10-30-2018   #17
Pioneer

Quote:
@pioneer - I saw it on BH site. Only the 24 exp arista EDU 400 says NAFTA Qualified. All other Arista regardless of format does not mention NAFTA. I thought it strange so called BH and they said country of origin was USA
Since Arista EDU Ultra is a Freestyle brand I contacted them directly. They say all this film, regardless of whether it is 135-24, 135-36, 120, 4x5, 5x7 or 8x10 is manufactured in the Czech Republic, same as always.

Are you certain that what you read wasn't referring to the Arista Premium brand?

The Arista Premium film used to be branded and sold by Freestyle but was in fact Kodak Tri-X (if it was ISO 400) or Kodak Plus X (if it was ISO 100.) This film is no longer being sold though there could possibly be a few rolls left in someone's refrigerator.

Dan

Old 10-30-2018   #18
pismo923

Here is the link from B&H to the film I ordered. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...400_black.html I guess we will see when it arrives. If it's grainy as hell then I know I got Foma

Last edited by pismo923 : 10-30-2018 at 14:25. Reason: error

Old 10-30-2018   #19
dourbalistar

Quote:
Here is the link from B&H to the film I ordered. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...400_black.html I guess we will see when it arrives. If it's grainy as hell then I know I got Foma
Unless I missed it, I didn't see a "NAFTA Qualified" designation anywhere on the page. Maybe that message only appears for non-USA viewers?

flickr

Old 10-30-2018   #20
Sumarongi
Registered Vaudevillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dourbalistar View Post
Unless I missed it, I didn't see a "NAFTA Qualified" designation anywhere on the page. Maybe that message only appears for non-USA viewers?
Well, I'm in Central Europe, and I can also see no «NAFTA anything». Perhaps they've meant «NATO qualified»?

Unlike my peaceful country, the Czech Republic is a NATO member ...

Old 10-30-2018   #21
pismo923

Quote:
Unless I missed it, I didn't see a "NAFTA Qualified" designation anywhere on the page
It shows up on the right side of the page just above "add to cart"

Old 10-30-2018   #22
Pioneer

Thanks pismo923.

The only reference I find at all relative to country of origin is in the Q&A section where the question is asked: "Where does this film come from?"

The response from Heather, who is on the B&H Staff, is the the film originates in the Czech Republic.

I can't comment on the NAFTA designation only to say that it would appear that the rules allow this film to be NAFTA certified since it is distributed by Freestyle, which is a business existing in one of the North American Free Trade Agreement countries. Someone with more familiarity with the NAFTA rules may be able to comment on this more completely than I.

If this isn't what you want I would cancel if the order has not shipped. If it has shipped, B&H has some relatively reasonable return policies as far as I am aware.

However, I use quite a bit of AEU400 film myself and find it very usable, particularly if you expose at EI200, YMMV

Dan

Old 10-30-2018   #23
Sumarongi
Registered Vaudevillain

Quote:
It shows up on the right side of the page just above "add to cart"
Nothing but the price visible here.

Screenshot?

Old 10-31-2018   #24
maigo

Maybe Freestyle already paid import duties on the materials when they entered USA hence it is now considered eligible under NAFTA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-31-2018   #25
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
Might be Tri-X; thats the Kodak film Freestyle used last time they sold an American made 400 speed BW film under the Arista name.
That's what I always thought too.

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 11-01-2018   #26
bmattock

It says Arista EDU 400 *Ultra*. Is that different than standard Arista 400 EDU? And I went to the link. I don't see the NAFTA thing anywhere.

Also, although I am far from an expert, I do not think an item has to be entirely manufactured in a NAFTA country to be considered NAFTA qualified.

https://www.pcbusa.com/brokerage-NAFTA.cfm

Quote:
What goods are eligible for NAFTA?

Goods that are wholly obtained or produced entirely in a NAFTA country.
Goods that have been transformed in a NAFTA country such as trees cut into lumber.
Goods that are produced in a NAFTA country exclusively from originating materials such as lumber carved into a puzzle and painted in Mexico.
Some off shore goods may also qualify under NAFTA, if there has been further processing in North America resulting in a tariff shift or tariff change. Should you have product that may fall into this category, it maybe beneficial to speak with one of our highly trained Tariff Consultants regarding eligibility.

Old 11-01-2018   #27
pismo923

The duties are charged when the product comes into Canada so I don't think anything could be prepaid or the like when it entered the US from say Czech Republic. Out of curiosity I decided to modify my order and add some Arista EDU 100. My invoice now indicates that duty was charged on the 100 film but nothing on the 400. It's still a mystery to me at the moment

Old 11-08-2018   #28
pismo923

Well my order arrived and the EDU 400 is marked made in Czech Republic so all is as usual. Still kind of strange how they can sell it duty free but that's irrelevant to me at this point. It's not made in the US film stock i.e. Kodak and that's what I was curious about in the first instance.