Washing prints in washing machine
Old 10-22-2018   #1
retinax

Washing prints in washing machine

A wild idea... but a washing machine is a drum processor with automated washing programs. Could one wash prints in one? Granted, the water used may be a lot for RC prints, but maybe not too bad for fiber. Occurred to me when I was thinking how one could use the drum from a washing machine as a developing container-why not leave it in place? Has anyone tried it or heard about the disaster so brought about?

Old 10-22-2018   #2
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

The washer would destroy the prints. During the wash cycle, the machine violently agitates its contents. This helps get clothes cleaner and removes soap in the fabrics during the rinse cycles, but would tear apart prints.

Also, a washer dumps and fills with water a couple times in order to remove soapy water, and it spins rapidly after the final dump to get the clothes less damp before they go in the dryer. All this would severely damage a print.

Old 10-22-2018   #3
retinax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
The washer would destroy the prints. During the wash cycle, the machine violently agitates its contents. This helps get clothes cleaner and removes soap in the fabrics during the rinse cycles, but would tear apart prints.

Also, a washer dumps and fills with water a couple times in order to remove soapy water, and it spins rapidly after the final dump to get the clothes less damp before they go in the dryer. All this would severely damage a print.

Mine is not too violent really. During wash, it spins perhaps 40 rpm. Or course the prints would need to be fixed to the walls like in rotary processor. The final spinning with high speed can be turned off. I 'll need to observe how violently and from where the water goes in. It's just an absurd thought experiment, but your concerns haven't convinced me to abort it yet

Old 10-22-2018   #4
retinax

Lint would be a real problem if the machine is also used for clothes...

Old 10-22-2018   #5
Scapevision

ever left a paper note or receipt in the pocket?

Old 10-22-2018   #6
retinax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapevision View Post
ever left a paper note or receipt in the pocket?

Ever put a paper note or receipt in the washing tray? Wouldn't fare much better.
Seriously, it's just a brainfart, I only slept 1.5 hours last night, boosts creativity in the wrong way, but you should try harder to take my mind off of it!

Old 10-22-2018   #7
Erik van Straten

The question is: why? Much simpeler to wash the prints in a tray with a flushing hose.

Erik.

Old 10-22-2018   #8
Bill Clark

I don’t let the water run constantly when washing my prints. I fill up the tray and let it sit. I wash three or maybe four 8x10 at a time. Only change the water maybe half dozen times. RC paper is what I use and I find it doesn’t need much washing, as it’s mainly for the silver gelatin on front, not the paper as it has the coating. Fiber based it’s another story which I rarely use anymore. I do have a print washer I sometimes would use when I was in business. It will accomodate up to a 24x30. I sometimes would use it (the tank) to mix up chemicals as I would have d-76 for 10 gallons. Lots of 2 liter empty soda bottles used!

Old 10-22-2018   #9
Beemermark

Just do it and let us know how it works. I think drying the prints in the dryer might work also.

Old 10-22-2018   #10
retinax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemermark View Post
Just do it and let us know how it works. I think drying the prints in the dryer might work also.

I just might if it still seems like an interesting idea tomorrow! I don't have a dryer unfortunately...

Old 10-22-2018   #11
retinax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
The question is: why? Much simpeler to wash the prints in a tray with a flushing hose.

Erik.

This could work for pretty large prints if the ridges inside the machine don't crease them. Oh wait, I'd still need a large tray to develop
Ok maybe I'll go back to the original idea and take the drum out of a washing machine, one day, when I have the space to store it.

Old 10-22-2018   #12
Mackinaw
Think Different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemermark View Post
I agree. Just do it. I'd be curious as to how it worked out.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 10-22-2018   #13
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

The “Hand wash” / “Wool” mode is not very strong. And skip the centrifuge phase in the end. Might worth a try.

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 10-22-2018   #14
FujiLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
Mine is not too violent really. During wash, it spins perhaps 40 rpm.
Really? Mine's a pretty old machine, but it still spins between 800 and 1400 RPM.

Old 10-22-2018   #15
retinax

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujiLove View Post
Really? Mine's a pretty old machine, but it still spins between 800 and 1400 RPM.
That must be toward the end, when it works as a centrifuge to get water out? Which can usually be turned off.

Old 10-22-2018   #16
Steve M.

I think it would work just fine. People wash all manner of things in those machines. Wool sweaters on hot (always good for making doll sweaters), prescription medications, the cat (some require dry cleaning though). In fact, you can even have a drink, chat up a chippie, have an Igor burger, and do your print washing and drying at Igor's Bar and Laundromat In New Orleans. This was my go to place nearly 50 years ago, and like most everything in this city, it's still there, and you can do all this 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year. None of this namby pamby last call business, or closing for the holidays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKCIFJ_7Eww

Old 10-22-2018   #17
Baby of Macon

The idea is probably about as sensible as thinking of using a spin dryer for enriching uranium

Old 10-22-2018   #18
JoeV
Thin Air, Bright Sun

My mother in law would fill her washer part way with water, drop her cat in and close the lid. Not enough water to drown the critter, and she wouldn’t run any cycles. The cat came out grouchy but clean!

I rinse my prints via a garden hose under a tree or other landscaping that needs watering. Kill two birds with one stone sorta thing.

Inventor of the Light Pipe Array
My Blog
My latest book

Old 10-22-2018   #19
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
My mother in law would fill her washer part way with water, drop her cat in and close the lid. Not enough water to drown the critter, and she wouldn’t run any cycles. The cat came out grouchy but clean!

I rinse my prints via a garden hose under a tree or other landscaping that needs watering. Kill two birds with one stone sorta thing.

My cat would have murdered you in your sleep for that. He held grudges and was very, very spiteful and VERY LARGE.

Old 10-23-2018   #20
lynnb

This could be the start of something creative. Why not add stones for a stone wash? Should give an interesting texture to the prints. After all, if it works for jeans, why not? Each print could be a unique work of art, worth more than a regular print. Similar concept to what Banksy did with the auction.
Flickr

Old 10-23-2018   #21
maryland_fotos

Cats have rights. Prints not so much. They can go into the spin cycle.

Old 10-23-2018   #22
Sumarongi
Registered Vaudevillain

Being a father of a quiver full, I successfully wash a lot of not so usual things in the dishwasher —— my childrens' schoolbags e.g. ——, so perhaps a dishwasher could also be an alternative for your prints?

Old 10-23-2018   #23
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Just load the washer with your test prints, wrong exposures, and any others that didn't make the final cut, and see what happens.

Old 10-23-2018   #24
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
My cat would have murdered you in your sleep for that. He held grudges and was very, very spiteful and VERY LARGE.

That is a big cat, Chris! How much did he weigh?

Old 10-23-2018   #25
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
That is a big cat, Chris! How much did he weigh?

23 pounds. Attempts to make him diet had to be abandoned because if not fed as much as he wanted, he would attack the dog and steal her food. The dog was a 140lb Great Pyrenees, but she was afraid of Simba because he bullied her all the time.

Old 10-23-2018   #26
dmr
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
I'm always afraid I'm gonna accidentally just close the lid and turn the machine on!

I do admit, however, that when a cat genuinely needs a bath (rarely) it is very difficult to get him/her to cooperate!

Old 10-23-2018   #27
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I never mix my analog photography containers and such with my family shared appliances and such.
To me it is as smart as using same plastic bottle for fixer and for drinking water.