Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 10-02-2018   #81
zuiko85

Nope. Had a mustache once, in my early 20's. Outgrew that and have been clean shaven since.
'He's a clean old man'.

My jowls look bad enough, putting a beard on them would just look worse. Some of you guys are still young enough and are slim enough to pull it off.

Old 10-02-2018   #82
Contarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko85 View Post
Nope. Had a mustache once, in my early 20's. Outgrew that and have been clean shaven since.
'He's a clean old man'.

My jowls look bad enough, putting a beard on them would just look worse. Some of you guys are still young enough hand are slim enough to pull it off.
I'm 48, 5'9 or 10", probably 185 have a 8 pack stomach. I can do 50 sit-ups/push-ups/chinups no sweat...do it everyday. Lift dumbbells and walk about 3.5 miles every night about 5pm except on the weekends. Still no beard and I might be able to outrun Cal. Probably better looking too

Old 10-03-2018   #83
David Hughes
David Hughes

When I was in charge of one of the larger units (2 to 3,000 staff) I found that shaving the beard off meant no one recognised me for about a week, especially if I left the suit at home and came in in jeans etc. I found out a lot before they twigged it was me.

Also reactions to me with and without the beard changed a lot some were distant and others gushing depending; especially in the French speaking depts where most of them were WW2 brides from France.

BTW, all that nonsense about shaving should be removed, it sets a bad example.

Regards, David

Old 10-03-2018   #84
kshapero
Press the Shutter

here we go

pop.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 10-03-2018   #85
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contarama View Post
I'm 48, 5'9 or 10", probably 185 have a 8 pack stomach. I can do 50 sit-ups/push-ups/chinups no sweat...do it everyday. Lift dumbbells and walk about 3.5 miles every night about 5pm except on the weekends. Still no beard and I might be able to outrun Cal. Probably better looking too
C,

Today I only weigh 148.5 pounds. You definitely have the Canadian Ninja Warrior Build, and I'm the girlie-man here.

Currently I'm 60 1/2, but when I was 49 I basically ran the NYC Marathon "off the couch" with pretty much no training. The only thing that had prepared me was in my younger years I raced bicycles and I have a very high threshold of pain. I don't count the 6 mile jogs home from work in Madhattan to Brooklyn 3-4 times a week proper training for a marathon.

At a Friday meeting a friend who was an elite marathon runner gave me his bib so I could run in his place. He had overtrained and had fallen ill, so I basically had one day to get ready. My gal was worried that I would follow the legend and complete the marathon and drop at the finish like in the legend. She made me promise not to race.

But on the way to Staten Island the morning of the race I ran into this pot head who offered me some hash brownies to fuel my race. I declined, but I found out that if I made a time under 5 hours that my name would be posted in the New York Times in a Marathon supplement.

This changed everything and I was forced to break the promise I made to my girlfriend. So at the start of 35K runners my position was close enough to the Front Runners that I could see them. When the race started my time began when my RFID passed over a pad at the start. My girlfriend was able to track me on her Blackberry.

It didn't take too long for her to discover, "That fxxx'er is racing." In Williamsburg on Bedford and South 2d Street I knew she would be there as a spectator. She was not too happy, I emerged from the mass of runners, kissed her, and said, "I got to go." Pretty much I left before she could yell at me.

I was still pretty fresh and my time thus far was 2 hours and I was about half way through the 26.2 miles, but I made a mistake in Greenpoint and stopped for 7 minutes to use a Porta Potty to pee before heading into Madhattan. Lactic acid spiked and the second half of the marathon was painful.

Towards the end I saw a sign in Central Park that said "4 miles to finish." The problem was I was hallucinating because I saw this sign 3 or 4 times. I cursed, "MF Central Park is not that big."

I had set the dial on my Rolex Submariner at the start. Time was running out, so I started a sprint to attempt to break the 5 hour mark pushing through the discomfort and fatigue.

The next day I could not walk. I called into work to request a sick day, and my jerk of a boss asked if a sick day was appropriate, and I told him if I had a head ache a sick day would be appropriate, but instead of my head hurting it is my legs.

It was a week later when I bought the New York Times. I beat the 5 hour deadline by 26 seconds. LOL. Running the NYC Marathon and finishing it definitely is one of those "Peak" experiences in my life.

So I get forwarded these pictures from my friend. Kishore is Southeast Asian and his full name is about 27 letters long. I have this shot of me running in Central Park, I'm wearing a tight bicycle shirt that has a 3/4 zip that is open, my chest is exposed, and I look like a champ, but the name on the Plaque is Kishore's full unpronouncible name.

Back on topic: For this race of course I shaved my legs.

BTW I still have a baby-face, and I get away with being a bad boy a lot because of my looks.

Cal

Old 10-03-2018   #86
ruby.monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhl-oregon View Post
What a delightful roll call!

Scrolling through, though, I feel a bit like I'm reading a transcript from porch talk at the 1891 Civil War Photographer Society Reunion.

What about a 21st C. roll call on...piercings? tats? Or, to stick with the Samson/Delilah historical flavor, styles of circumcision!
A poll on how many have more hair above the ears than below?

Old 10-03-2018   #87
back alley
IMAGES

no one ever comments on my beard, not even my beard/hair stylist...(i'm bald btw)
sorta like my pics posted here...

Old 10-03-2018   #88
pyeh

here's a reasonably funny video of a pretend hair restoration salon advocating beards instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD-E2B5GfI8

Back alley, I like your photos.

Last edited by pyeh : 10-03-2018 at 17:39. Reason: added text

Old 10-03-2018   #89
bhop73

Myself with Rollei by Brandon, on Flickr

Old 10-03-2018   #90
Mark A. Fisher

I stopped shaving on January 1, 1976.

I haven’t shaved since. I do trim it as needed...

M

Old 10-03-2018   #91
Huss

Old 10-03-2018   #92
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contarama View Post
I'm 48, 5'9 or 10", probably 185 have a 8 pack stomach. ..
Pshhh, I got a pony keg.

Old 10-04-2018   #93
David Hughes
David Hughes

I love it when people come up to you and tell you how much they like it and ask how long it took to grow that long. When I get asked in Dutch, French and so on passers by stop to translate and all guess I speak English, which is a bit odd. Why does English mean long beards?

Regards, David

Old 10-04-2018   #94
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyeh View Post
here's a reasonably funny video of a pretend hair restoration salon advocating beards instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD-E2B5GfI8

Back alley, I like your photos.
you're a good man!

Old 10-04-2018   #95
John Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
I love it when people come up to you and tell you how much they like it and ask how long it took to grow that long.
I like it when this happens too - most recently today. A group of young men complemented me on my moustache, asked me how long it took to grow and what I put on it to make it curl upwards.....

I also find that if I don't curl it upwards, but just comb downwards into the beard, everyone calls me 'Sir' - and no one sits next to me on packed commuter trains!

The downside of the handlebar moustache though is that it can be somewhat difficult to carry out a 'cheek-to-cheek air kiss' when working with models!

John

Old 10-06-2018   #96
carbo73

No beard, but shave only once a week or up to two.

Kodak No.4 F Cartridge / Kodak No.2 Folding Brownie / Kodak No.3 & No.3A Folding Pocket / Goerz ANGO / Kodak VPK / Brownie Nr.2 / KW Patent Etui / Leica II / Leica IIIb / Rolleiflex Old Standard / Contax II / VP Exakta / Kine Exakta / FED1 / Contax S / Exakta VX / Moskva 4 / Zenit-S / FED2 / Minolta Autocord /Exakta VX IIa / Nikon F