Old 09-26-2018   #81
DavidKKHansen

I'm one of those who'd like to have a flash onboard still... How else to live out my fantasy of being Daido Moriyama?

Old 09-26-2018   #82
andersju

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
DPR now have a 'First Look' up which shows the back.

To make it skinner we've lost the exposure comp +/- buttons and selectable AEL/AFL/CAF button/switch.

Meh.
That's a shame. Looks like they added a rear control dial though, which could presumably be used for exposure compensation (hopefully without easily triggering something else by accident...).

Old 09-26-2018   #83
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

https://m.dpreview.com/articles/0757...w-ricoh-gr-iii

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

https://www.instagram.com/kevinxbegin/

Old 09-26-2018   #84
aizan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidKKHansen View Post
I'm one of those who'd like to have a flash onboard still... How else to live out my fantasy of being Daido Moriyama?
you have to buy his current rig: the sony rx0 (which has no flash!).

Old 09-27-2018   #85
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
you have to buy his current rig: the sony rx0 (which has no flash!).
Is he really using one of these? haha...awesome if so...

Old 09-27-2018   #86
jsrockit

More photos of the GR3

Many photos of the camera here:

https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/ric...rom-photokina/

Old 09-27-2018   #87
aizan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Is he really using one of these? haha...awesome if so...
according to tokyocamerastyle: https://www.instagram.com/p/BgSR-JVlr-o/?hl=en

Old 09-27-2018   #88
jsrockit

Quote:
Thank you... seems perfect for him.

Old 09-28-2018   #89
Archiver

Hey, did anyone notice what Tokyo Camera Style said about Daido?

"Shinya Arimoto told me that Daido Moriyama told him that he could only ever get 500 rolls of film through a GR1 before it died. Moriyama gave up on Ricoh GRDs- he's shooting a screenless #SonyRX0 now, anyway."

I got a Sony RX0 for video work, but am finding it increasingly fun and useful for still photography. It's not screenless, per se, but just has a really small screen. The shutter is silent, it does auto ISO up to a usable 6400, and it's about the size of a two matchboxes side by side. Image quality is like a Sony RX100 or Panasonic LX10, and is sharper in the edges than the LX10.

Is the RX0 a replacement for the GR? No way. It's not intended for standalone stills camera use anyway, it's a chunky block of metal with a couple of buttons on top. But it's a heck of a lot of fun to play with.

Old 09-28-2018   #90
Archlich

Morimiya famously shot with Nikon Coolpix cameras back then (a post somewhere on RFF has it). They were not special, tiny sensors etc., just cheap and producing cheap looking jpegs somehow in line with the color images he made on cheap color negattives back in the '70s.

I mean, what he uses is irrelevant. The fact is he would use anything, just like Araki would use anything. Read his photos, read the (Nakahira) essays, not just "10 Best Moriyama shots you must see before you die", and it would be quite clear that the connection between GR and his style is but a myth, a myth that Ricoh welcomes.

Old 09-28-2018   #91
Archiver

Moriyama said in an interview that he has never bought a camera for himself, he has only used cameras which were given to him. So the much vaunted GR1v wasn't necessarily his choice, but more likely a camera that he acquired and found useful.

Old 09-28-2018   #92
mod2001
Old school modernist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
Morimiya famously shot with Nikon Coolpix cameras back then (a post somewhere on RFF has it)
Just repeating stuff found in the internet doesn't make it right You are aware that he shoot decades before on film? And many of them with the GR or whatever he got in his hands, mostly for free. Coolpix came much much later. And only for a short period of time. Personally, I like his work from the film times much more than the newer stuff, but wouldn't see the used medium as responsible in his case.

Broken motor with the GR was also my favourite

Juergen

Old 09-28-2018   #93
Archlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod2001 View Post
You are aware that he shoot decades before on film? And many of them with the GR. Personally, I like his work form the film times much more than the newer stuff, but wouldn't see the used medium as responsible in his case.

Broken motor with the GR was also my favourite

Juergen
Yes he shot decades before - before the GR1, which came out in 1996. Moriyama became a name with his magazine works in the '60s and rose to star status in the '70s, using a Spotmatic, a Minolta SR-2 and a SRT-101, various long and wide lenses (the dog photo was taken with a Takumar 105/2.8 if memory serves), and a Nikkor 25/4 almost permanently attached to a Nikon S2.

"Many" were shot with a GR, yes, but only for a short period of time. They represent only a small portion of his enormous oeuvre.

A master has free reign over his or her tools. If someone feels inspired by Moriyama, he or she better shoot with anything that fits. Not just or necessarily a GR.

Old 09-28-2018   #94
mod2001
Old school modernist

Quote:
...he or she better shoot with anything that fits. Not just or necessarily a GR.
True, and for sure in Moriyamas case. Anyhow, wonder if the GR would have this cult status without him, didn't work for the Coolpix

Jürgen

Old 09-28-2018   #95
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiver View Post
I got a Sony RX0 for video work, but am finding it increasingly fun and useful for still photography. It's not screenless, per se, but just has a really small screen. The shutter is silent, it does auto ISO up to a usable 6400, and it's about the size of a two matchboxes side by side.
I find the usable 6400 hard to believe... I couldn`t go past 800 on my RX100 IV. And I use 12800 on Fuji's.

Old 09-28-2018   #96
jsrockit

Quote:
True, and for sure in Moriyamas case. Anyhow, wonder if the GR would have this cult status without him, didn't work for the Coolpix

Jürgen
But it did work for the Olympus Pen W!

Old 09-28-2018   #97
nightfly

His early color digital images kind of sucked.

Don't know what he's using but they've gotten a lot better probably as he's gotten more familiar with the medium and the technology. The latest Tokyo book is very good.

Old 09-29-2018   #98
Lss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Pillers View Post
I'll suggest one possible bit of competition for the GR (I've owned all the digital GR's at one time or another). I've been using the Fuji XF10 for a month now.
Hmm, I replied to this but either it was removed or some technical glitch hit it.

Anyway, the XF10 is not a very strong contender for me. I like the price, but it lacks a hot shoe and it is larger than the GR III. The size of the Ricoh is approaching that of Sigma DP1, which I used to shoot with.

If the Ricoh is priced too high, I may still check the Fuji.

Old 09-29-2018   #99
Lss

Quote:
Not a great advertisement for Ricoh quality. I recall the GR feeling solid, but I think that is the only one I ever handled.

Of course, the dust issue I know about.

Old 09-29-2018   #100
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lss View Post
Hmm, I replied to this but either it was removed or some technical glitch hit it.

Anyway, the XF10 is not a very strong contender for me. I like the price, but it lacks a hot shoe and it is larger than the GR III. The size of the Ricoh is approaching that of Sigma DP1, which I used to shoot with.

If the Ricoh is priced too high, I may still check the Fuji.
While I didn`t care about the lack of hot shoe in the XF10, I do care that the AF is seemingly from a few generations ago and misses in low contrast scenes in daylight... it is bothering me to miss photos on the street that none of my other cameras (or even the GR II) miss. $500 was too good to be true...unless Fuji pulls off some FW magic.

Old 09-29-2018   #101
emraphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lss View Post
Not a great advertisement for Ricoh quality. I recall the GR feeling solid, but I think that is the only one I ever handled.

Of course, the dust issue I know about.
Not debatimg the dust issue but for perspective im on my third digital gr series and have yet to have issues with dust

Old 09-29-2018   #102
FrozenInTime

IBIS / VR was a very useful improvement on the GRDIV.
With more pixels available on the GR III, it will really help for night cityscapes.
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 09-29-2018   #103
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by emraphoto View Post
Not debatimg the dust issue but for perspective im on my third digital gr series and have yet to have issues with dust
Also for perspective, I’m also on my third (I/I/II) and all three have had dust issues...

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 09-30-2018   #104
Archlich

Quote:

Jürgen
The Coolpix didn't need a cult; it's a every man's camera, designed to be replaced and forgotten soon.

The GR was a highly specialized, "photographer's camera". Much like Leica, it had to bundle itself with a certain genre or style of photography in order to survive: buy the camera and you buy the photography or, if you buy the photography then you'd better buy the camera as well (this part I don't like much about both brands). They chose Moriyama's photography, and Moriyama himself as spokesperson, although he never needed to speak directly. It was his style that spoke.

They'd do fine without Moriyama, since they would have found another one, although Moriyama certainly fits the bill (the brand image we see today) best. If they couldn't, they'd create one like what Konica did. The camera itself was excellent so they wouldn't be afraid to live up to it anyway.

Old 09-30-2018   #105
Archlich

Some more juice regarding the GR III from two interviews:

- The camera's quite a departure so they decided to announce half a year before shipment for users to decide between it and the GR II. (which means shipment around April?)
- Sensor Shift mechanism takes a lot of space. Flash is omitted, lens redesigned to be thinner.
- Pentax P-TTL flash protocol.
- the camera offers dust removal due to overwhelming requests.
- Optical quality, ergonomics (the usual GR things) are still top priority.
- Phase detection capability from the Pentax K-70.
- New battery. Not interchangeable with the old DB-65.
- Priced under 1000 Euros.

So it's likely to be $899 or $999.

Old 09-30-2018   #106
mod2001
Old school modernist

Quote:
Some more juice regarding the GR III from two interviews:

- The camera's quite a departure so they decided to announce half a year before shipment for users to decide between it and the GR II. (which means shipment around April?)
- Sensor Shift mechanism takes a lot of space. Flash is omitted, lens redesigned to be thinner.
- Pentax P-TTL flash protocol.
- the camera offers dust removal due to overwhelming requests.
- Optical quality, ergonomics (the usual GR things) are still top priority.
- Phase detection capability from the Pentax K-70.
- New battery. Not interchangeable with the old DB-65.
- Priced under 1000 Euros.

So it's likely to be $899 or $999.
And according to Ricoh officials at the Photokina, no external EVF planned. Too sad. My GR road (had 3 film and 2 digital) ends at his point after nearly 3 decades as I don't like and can't (eyesight) shoot via display and I need a viewfinder with accurate framing and at least AF-info.

Will be interesting to see how the new button layout and touchscreen handling works out for long time GR-User. Same for the IQ and the slightly changed lens which has 1 element less as far as I understood. And of course the new(old?) sensor.

Juergen

Old 09-30-2018   #107
Dogman

Personally, I'm not begging Ricoh to take my money just yet. I'm really not in the market for a new camera but it's nice to know there's another model GR out there for the time when my GRII dies a natural death or disappears into the night. The rear layout and reduced real estate area kinda worries me because I like how the current GR handles so much.

Old 09-30-2018   #108
Dralowid
Michael

So, I used to have a GR1s which was much loved but I sold it before it broke. I bought a Nex 6 because I thought I'd want to used my old lenses. Favourite was with the 35mm 2.8 Summaron. I want to sell it now because there really is no need to do this and I don't want the clutter.

I'm tempted by the GRII and III. Question is will they give me as much pleasure as that old film GR? Are they as small?

Old 09-30-2018   #109
Monz
Monz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralowid View Post
So, I used to have a GR1s which was much loved but I sold it before it broke. I bought a Nex 6 because I thought I'd want to used my old lenses. Favourite was with the 35mm 2.8 Summaron. I want to sell it now because there really is no need to do this and I don't want the clutter.

I'm tempted by the GRII and III. Question is will they give me as much pleasure as that old film GR? Are they as small?
The GR ii and the film GR1v/ GRIs are similar in size.

Is the dark side of the force stronger than the light side? by Monz, on Flickr

My Top 10

Flickr Gallery

Old 09-30-2018   #110
Archlich

My old GR1v and GRD3 (the GR was sold).

The GRD3 is almost identical to size to the new GR3, just 1mm narrower. The GR1v is a tad thinner.

Old 09-30-2018   #111
jsrockit

GR III vs. GR II vs. GR Digital 4:

https://www.grblog.jp/en/article/845/

Old 09-30-2018   #112
nightfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralowid View Post
No and no.

I've owned a couple of film GRs and The GRD I, III and the GR I and II.

I would say no, they won't give you as much pleasure as the film GR. The film version was an almost perfect manifestation of a compact film camera.

The digital GR, while very good, is still a bit of a computer. If they had kept the dedicated aperture dial on top, maybe but as it is, while better than it's competition, it still isn't as satisfying to use, for me, as the film version. You can't really use it without the screen even with an auxiliary finder, because you don't really know what your setting are.

In comparison, I can shoot my Leica M9 very much like my Leica M4-P without ever turning on the screen. It's the most analog, digital camera I've ever used.

Also the digital GRs are slightly thicker than the film version, not a significant amount but enough so that it feels much more substantial in the pocket.

That said it's the best of the lot with a great sensor and good controls.

Old 09-30-2018   #113
Dralowid
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly View Post
No and no.

I've owned a couple of film GRs and The GRD I, III and the GR I and II.

I would say no, they won't give you as much pleasure as the film GR. The film version was an almost perfect manifestation of a compact film camera.

That said it's the best of the lot with a great sensor and good controls.
Hmmm, confused I am but won't commit just yet.

Old 09-30-2018   #114
Dunn

I've been waiting for this release for a while now and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed.

I've had the original aps-c GR since it came out and loved it, except for having dust issues and it finally died on me after getting the black screen at startup. So, I was waiting on this before deciding how to replace my old one.

-More pixels, sure, why not!
-Removing the flash? Why? So they can make it a tiny bit smaller... I think more people not buy it because of not having a flash than would not buy it if it had a flash and was the size of the previous version. I never heard anyone say the last version was too big.
-Not weather sealed. I had to send mine of a couple of times to get dust cleaned off the sensor. Doesn't seem that hard to seal it up a little more.
-Viewfinder was a pipe dream so whatever

Seems okay, but I would rather just buy a cheaper, used GRII.
And after all this wait...

Tumblr

Instagram

Old 09-30-2018   #115
Archiver

Quote:
And according to Ricoh officials at the Photokina, no external EVF planned. Too sad. My GR road (had 3 film and 2 digital) ends at his point after nearly 3 decades as I don't like and can't (eyesight) shoot via display and I need a viewfinder with accurate framing and at least AF-info.
Have you tried using a 'dumb' OVF? I use the Voigtlander compact 28/35 OVF on the GRD III, GR and Sigma DP1, and it works well for framing as long as you have centre point focus enabled.

Old 09-30-2018   #116
mod2001
Old school modernist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiver View Post
Have you tried using a 'dumb' OVF? I use the Voigtlander compact 28/35 OVF on the GRD III, GR and Sigma DP1, and it works well for framing as long as you have centre point focus enabled.
Of course I tried (Panasonic DMW-VF1) framing was ok on longer distances, but I shoot quite often < 2m and then its getting critical with the vertical framing. I used it with center AF as there is no other way with AF active, missed a lot of shots where I had to react fast and no time to focus in center and then recompose. Also, I need an OVF at least with diopter correction, not sure if the OVF from Leica or Zeiss have this, never tried because of the price.

As I said, still don't get why Ricoh is not offering an EVF as they did with some other cameras before, it's no longer rocket science in 2018/2019.

Juergen

Old 09-30-2018   #117
Archlich

Buy a X100 then.

Old 10-01-2018   #118
Godfrey
somewhat colored

The GRIII looks like a very nice update to me, one that I might even be tempted by. I like what they've done with both features and size.

But in all practicality, I already have my compact camera, the Leica CL, and if I want to be able to slip it into a pocket with a 28mm eqFOV I'll just buy the compact Leica 18mm lens for it. It's a bit bigger than the GRD but has everything I want in a compact camera.

Of course the Ricoh GRDIII will likely cost less than half what the Leica T18mm lens does...! :-)

Old 10-01-2018   #119
mod2001
Old school modernist

Quote:
Buy a X100 then.
Good joke

Juergen

Old 10-01-2018   #120
mod2001
Old school modernist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post

But in all practicality, I already have my compact camera, the Leica CL, and if I want to be able to slip it into a pocket with a 28mm eqFOV I'll just buy the compact Leica 18mm lens for it. It's a bit bigger than the GRD but has everything I want in a compact camera.
Don't know you pockets Godfrey, but serious? I tried it with the Fuji X-F10 just for fun, and that was no fun to put it in the jeans pocket. And the CL without lens is even 4mm thicker than the Fuji and 10mm more than the GR. Sounds not dramatic on paper but makes a huge difference in real life. The GR slips easily in any pocket, even my small T3 needs definitely more attention because its thicker than the GR.

Juergen