Old 09-27-2018   #41
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
the possibility of a contax t2/t3 type of camera is what came to my mind.
dreaming big...but I like it...

Old 09-27-2018   #42
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Quote:
all of the fuji x100 shooters who want a full frame sensor and only use the EVF () are going crazy right now.
I'm not.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 09-27-2018   #43
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Quote:
exposure compensation is via the touch screen:

https://youtu.be/GfVDvBzVrCo?t=44s
After watching the video, it reminds me of the new iphones (the camera part only) but with a really nice hunky lens attached to it. I like it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 09-27-2018   #44
Contarama

One word - Cyclops

Where is the Super B digital model with a fixed fast fifty pancake Tessar that does 4K video and fits in your front pocket? Better yet give us a digital Contaflex kit. 35 50 85 115 & the monocular & the 1:1.

That's not asking much is it?

Old 09-27-2018   #45
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35photo View Post
That's 100% not true... If you shoot Aperture Priority mode like I do..On my SonyA7R II, I use the Exposure Comp dial all the time..
I use AV a lot with DSLR, I have no exposure comp in use. After I took 100K pictures with this and only camera. I know where and why I have to measure and hold exposure lock. Or I don't mind to take 100001 picture to test the exposure.
And with digital M, while shutter is on A, I measure the light and lock to where I need it to be exposed correctly.

I get what you are saying, but I'm lazy to learn exposure in EV steps on dial.
I just measure with camera, lock and take. Or I just use S16. I usually change aperture to compensate.

Old 09-27-2018   #46
pyeh

I think this is the most gorgeous, modern looking camera in ages, and has wonderful specs. If only it wasn't so big and heavy. It's bigger than the Leica Q for goodness sake.

Old 09-27-2018   #47
Archlich

I happened to be thinking about the Samsung Galaxy NX the day before. It's a NX mount , APS-C camera that ran Android 3.0. Didn't have much physical controls too - as "minimalist" as this one. Not only could it run photo editing apps, but also can post it to Twitter for you. How neat. And it sold for much less. Talks about "revolutionizing the workflow".

The case is...does anyone still remember the camera?

Old 09-27-2018   #48
Peter_S

Quote:
why a zeiss ikon when there's already the m10?
the possibility of a contax t2/t3 type of camera is what came to my mind.
The Contax T3 was/it unique due to the compact feel, lens, construction (I just cannot see that level of craftsmanship in new cameras) and rendering that came from lens and film. It was never matched and cannot be in the digital world.
The closest so far was the Leica X1. The closest in lens design and rendering - the Biogon C 2.8/35mm mounted on any full-frame M. Looks anything like T3 images? No. Fair enough, it does not have to, neither.
Sigma may get close in the future, or Leica with a Monochrom compact.

That Zeiss looks to me like just another digital camera that makes images like the rest. Some will like the images more because it says Zeiss. OK. An M(insert number here) + Ultron will do the same.

I actually just got my Contax T3 out again and sold my FF camera for some APS-C thingy. All looks the same, sensor technology has come to a point where it does not really matter. Bayer filtering/CFA kills whatever theoretical advantage there may be anyways.
--------------------------
www.ps-photo.net
On instagram

Old 09-27-2018   #49
Emile de Leon

Another hockey puck...lol..

Old 09-27-2018   #50
Big Ursus

According to the announcement on Petapixel, "One unusual feature of the ZX1 is that it has Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC is fully integrated into the camera, allowing photographers to process RAW photos directly." And, "The camera will also utilize over-the-air updates to keep its software up to date without having a computer connection."

So does the " fully integrated" version of Photoshop come with some sort of perpetual licence?

I also wonder what the viewfinder's like.

In any case, maybe Sony RX1R II prices will drop at last!?

Old 09-27-2018   #51
DanskDynamit

nice Cosina! but not for me.

Old 09-27-2018   #52
Archiver

Barring reports of crappy battery life, and assuming I'm financial enough for what is to come, I am so in for the ZX1. It's the Sony RX1r II without the Sony badge, with a different lens and sensor, crazy internal storage and an EVF that sounds ridiculously good.

It's the same weight as the Leica M9 with Voigtlander 35mm f1.4, so that's fine as a primary walkaround camera. The touchscreen interface is only going to be an issue if I want to use EV comp without looking at the screen, as there doesn't seem to be any dials or buttons other than a EV lock.

Old 09-27-2018   #53
Archiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_S View Post
The Contax T3 was/it unique due to the compact feel, lens, construction (I just cannot see that level of craftsmanship in new cameras) and rendering that came from lens and film. It was never matched and cannot be in the digital world.
The closest so far was the Leica X1. The closest in lens design and rendering - the Biogon C 2.8/35mm mounted on any full-frame M. Looks anything like T3 images? No. Fair enough, it does not have to, neither.

I thought the RX1r would render like a Contax T3. No way. Sure, the images are very high quality, but they don't have the same look as a T3 loaded with Pro400H or even XTRA400. My T3 is my 'memorable moments camera' for when I want something small to capture important times with film.

I do think the ZX1 will be something special, however. It has a new sensor, a new Distagon lens, and shoots DNGs intended for use in Lightroom. Sensor performance should be at least as good as a M240, probably in the same league as a M10.

Old 09-28-2018   #54
reiki_

This is like that Samsung Galaxy camera that was made before some time. Is it just me or is the whole Photokina geared towards making cameras exclusively luxury goods?

Nothing for students and hobbyists e.g. people that might actually use them as tools to make some decent novel smart pictures.

Old 09-28-2018   #55
Paul T.

It looks great... sleek and purposeful, like a Konica Hexar. I would prefer one to my X100, although I too wish it were a little less bulky.

Old 09-28-2018   #56
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiver View Post
Sensor performance should be at least as good as a M240, probably in the same league as a M10.
Sensor performance will easily surpass the M240 and M10.

Old 09-28-2018   #57
lynnb

I hope one can manually schedule software updates. It would be a bit embarrassing to be taking a photo when camera says no... "updating software... please wait".

This camera with a USB-C SSD pocket drive would be a good combination. As long as the battery lasts.
Flickr

Old 09-28-2018   #58
Scapevision

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
I hope one can manually schedule software updates. It would be a bit embarrassing to be taking a photo when camera says no... "updating software... please wait".

This camera with a USB-C SSD pocket drive would be a good combination. As long as the battery lasts.
you do realize it's not a satellite connection? You actually need to connect to an available wi-fi network. And you don't have to use embedded LR CC if you don't want to...

Old 09-28-2018   #59
Peter_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiki_ View Post
This is like that Samsung Galaxy camera that was made before some time. Is it just me or is the whole Photokina geared towards making cameras exclusively luxury goods?

Nothing for students and hobbyists e.g. people that might actually use them as tools to make some decent novel smart pictures.
For that we have Fuji, Sigma, Ilford and Voigtländer. All good.
--------------------------
www.ps-photo.net
On instagram

Old 09-28-2018   #60
ptpdprinter

It is way too big for what is essentially a point and shoot. Something that large should be an ILC with a few compact primes.

Old 09-28-2018   #61
Larry Cloetta

There is slightly more information at their dedicated site, zx1.zeiss.com, for those who have not already rapidly made up their minds on the basis of less information.
https://zx1.zeiss.com/#trailer

Am surprised we are already two pages into the thread and no one has wailed or gnashed their teeth about the fact it is made in China.

Looks more than a little interesting to me, massive ssd, high resolution sensor, very close mfd, automatic transfer to your home NAS, option to use built in Lightroom CC (wailing and moaning. Yes it isn’t free, but it’s a rounding error compared to what some of us spend on film every month). I am betting that the shape, like the Leica R8, actually works because, not in spite of, the fact it is different but no one knows yet.

And it’s not covered with freaking buttons every place your fingers fall every time you pick it up.
Looks good to me, or at the very least, worth reserving judgment on until reliable
information on actual usage and results come out.

Old 09-28-2018   #62
j.scooter

To me it looks like the Lightroom CC is the same as the free app you can get for your phones.

I am guessing that it will not be the full fledged Lightroom CC that is used on a computer and requires a subscription but more like an app that can do some quick and dirty adjustments so that the photo can be shared immeadiately.

I think the intention is that the real post production work on these files will be done on a “real” computer just as they are currently done.

Old 09-28-2018   #63
Out to Lunch

The advertising jockeys focus on 'instant' connectivity. Not something I am interested in. This said, as others have mentioned above, I do hope that Zeiss succeeds in selling this camera so that the company stays healthy enough to to put out m-mount lenses.

Old 09-28-2018   #64
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.scooter View Post
To me it looks like the Lightroom CC is the same as the free app you can get for your phones.

I am guessing that it will not be the full fledged Lightroom CC that is used on a computer and requires a subscription but more like an app that can do some quick and dirty adjustments so that the photo can be shared immeadiately.

I think the intention is that the real post production work on these files will be done on a “real” computer just as they are currently done.

Information on the Zeiss page is that it has the facility for both, the free and the full subscription based LR CC for those that have that.

Old 09-28-2018   #65
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile de Leon View Post
Another hockey puck...lol..
Hockey stick no?

Old 09-28-2018   #66
Scapevision

One thing about the in-camera processing that would be interesting to know is how the files get saved for the upload. There's no way they will do the full 37 megapickle jpeg, would they?

Old 09-28-2018   #67
karateisland

Here's an odd (and possibly silly) question, but one that may help define the value proposition of this camera for me: Would it be adequate for use in a home film scanning rig?

Old 09-28-2018   #68
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by karateisland View Post
Here's an odd (and possibly silly) question, but one that may help define the value proposition of this camera for me: Would it be adequate for use in a home film scanning rig?
No. Unless it has a real macro setting on the non interchangeable lens.

Old 09-28-2018   #69
Dogman

Too big and it will certainly be too expensive for my meager income level.

I would have preferred an APS-C in a smaller, less expensive package. That's why I use Fuji, after all.

I can't really see the wisdom of on board memory or editing on a small camera-size screen. 'Course I also can't see the wisdom in larger and larger file sizes to post social media snapshots. But I'm not the typical camera buyer of the 21st Century.

Old 09-28-2018   #70
Huss

Quote:
Its in the menu... to for me its useless there... I rather have the dial.
Agreed. When I use an EVF camera I like to use the exp comp dial with my eye looking thru the VF as I adjust the exposure.

Old 09-28-2018   #71
dof
Fiat Lux

I love that Zeiss have entered into the market with a digital body and hope it's a sign of many good things to come. This camera's feature set however doesn't offer anything that makes me need or want to get one.

I must admit that it runs on the Android OS activates the tin-foil hat side of my personality. The thought of a camera that might require OS security updates is an unattractive one. I often look to photography as a means to get away from the pervasiveness of tech in my life.

Old 09-28-2018   #72
santino
eXpect me

It's time for a digi contax with native support for Contax rf lenses!

Old 09-28-2018   #73
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by santino View Post
It's time for a digi contax with native support for Contax rf lenses!
Yeah, this new camera pretty much ensures this will never happen...

Old 09-28-2018   #74
santino
eXpect me

It will never happen because nobody cares about rfs despite us...

Old 09-28-2018   #75
Yokosuka_Mike
The Beat Goes On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
Am surprised we are already two pages into the thread and no one has wailed or gnashed their teeth about the fact it is made in China.
I gnashed my teeth, I just didn't wail.

Mike

Old 09-28-2018   #76
Contarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokosuka_Mike View Post
I gnashed my teeth, I just didn't wail.

Mike
Maybe it will wifi all snaps back to China

Old 09-28-2018   #77
emraphoto

Quote:
Its in the menu... to for me its useless there... I rather have the dial.
absolutely. this seems like a mistake?

does anyone know if you can tag and caption files in lightroom CC?

Old 09-28-2018   #78
lynnb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapevision View Post
you do realize it's not a satellite connection? You actually need to connect to an available wi-fi network. And you don't have to use embedded LR CC if you don't want to...
"Directly share and backup selected images to cloud storage".. doesn't this mean it has ability to access and upload to internet cloud storage? And therefore to also download software updates? (In addition to "Backup your images and videos on the fly and remotely access your files from wherever you are - thanks to automatic uploads to your NAS system").

I see on the Zeiss site there's a toggle to disable automatic software updates, so that's addressed my question.

If one can edit and upload images directly to internet cloud storage, that's terrific. Finally cameras are catching up to smartphones.
Flickr

Old 09-28-2018   #79
emraphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
"Directly share and backup selected images to cloud storage".. doesn't this mean it has ability to access and upload to internet cloud storage? And therefore to also download software updates? (In addition to "Backup your images and videos on the fly and remotely access your files from wherever you are - thanks to automatic uploads to your NAS system").

I see on the Zeiss site there's a toggle to disable automatic software updates, so that's addressed my question.

If one can edit and upload images directly to internet cloud storage, that's terrific. Finally cameras are catching up to smartphones.
Indeed! Being able to back up your files to the cloud straight off the camera? fuggedaboutit

Old 09-28-2018   #80
aizan

the future is not 2 card slots, but 0.