Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 09-01-2018   #81
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

Just perusing our RFF forum these last few days one can see new postings about film, film development, Mirrorless cameras, SLRs, L F cameras and lenses of all sorts and about classic RF 35mm cameras of the golden period , camera repair and of course about photographs.

So I say that this forum is still relevant as ever.

Old 09-01-2018   #82
Richard Berter

f course RFF is still relevant.

Old 09-01-2018   #83
Michael Markey

Has been relevant for me since `08 and remains so to this day.
Thank you to all who keep it ticking along.

Old 09-04-2018   #84
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M. View Post
"It's somewhat astonishing that despite being open to non-RF stuff, this forum has not been completely taken over by the vast majority of non-RF users out there."

Exactly right, which is why the forum has stayed relevant. Things are fluid and flexible here, not fixed and rigid, and opinions are all over the place. I almost always shoot film, but it's amazing what quality you can get from a phone, and that's pretty neat. As new things develop, this forum is ready to go.

I doubt it was ever meant to be solely about rangefinders anyway because that isn't sustainable. It would be like having a forum for folders only, or TLR's. That leaves out a lot of people. Primarily rangefinders perhaps, but the different categories mean that almost everyone can find something of interest. The more diverse the better, and I think that a very diverse membership and sensible moderation has been the reason for its success and longevity.

We very, very seldom see posts that would be considered rude, or denigrate others. Go to Reddit sometime. I had to end my membership there because certain people were totally out of control, and even though many people complained, nothing ever changed. After a while you say this isn't fun anymore and you stop going.
Some good points... RFF was originally much more narrowly focused on rangefinder cameras. Under the same ownership there was DSLRXchange for the dSLR folk, which was eventually opened to film SLRs as well, so they covered a broader range split between the two forums. You see how specific the forums started out... I think it was Stephen’s intent to broaden the focus of RFF, and his influence that has made it happen. DSLRXchange was shut down as its topics were incorporated in RFF. The programmer has created other narrowly focused photo sites too, such as a Zeiss forum.

The moderation philosophy established by Stephen has continued a polite culture on RFF. Problems occur at times and are quickly addressed. We like to have this be a stimulating yet courteous and friendly place to hang out. I too recall the times when the Leica discussion areas on Photo.net got extremely unfriendly to the point it was not a happy place to be. A lesson to be learned!

Old 09-08-2018   #85
thawkins

I am not a professional photographer although I do an occasional wedding, baptism or other event for friends. I have Nikon DSLR equipment and am seriously looking at an X100F system. At least half or more of my photo activity is with an M3, a Retina or SRT101. This morning I am doing a wedding reception with the Nikon and M3. The newly wed couple are my age (upper 60s) and the groom requested some of the photos be “real” black and white taken with a “real” camera not with a “computer that takes pictures”.
As long as there photographers that continue to use film for their activities, this forum is valid. Keep up the good work Stephen!

Old 09-08-2018   #86
dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Some good points... RFF was originally much more narrowly focused on rangefinder cameras. Under the same ownership there was DSLRXchange for the dSLR folk, which was eventually opened to film SLRs as well, so they covered a broader range split between the two forums. You see how specific the forums started out... I think it was Stephenís intent to broaden the focus of RFF, and his influence that has made it happen. DSLRXchange was shut down as its topics were incorporated in RFF. The programmer has created other narrowly focused photo sites too, such as a Zeiss forum.

The moderation philosophy established by Stephen has continued a polite culture on RFF. Problems occur at times and are quickly addressed. We like to have this be a stimulating yet courteous and friendly place to hang out. I too recall the times when the Leica discussion areas on Photo.net got extremely unfriendly to the point it was not a happy place to be. A lesson to be learned!
Very simple for me: It was - and it is - what I need. I like the mood here, the mostly polite discussions (thanks also to all moderators) and the very large knowhow bases.
It is the only really relevant photo forum for myself!

Old 09-08-2018   #87
Contarama

Mr bartender in order to keep us relevant maybe we should combine all these new FF no mirror rigs into one category. Bazooka forum hahaha

Someone should start a poll

Old 09-08-2018   #88
teddy
Jose Morales

I don't want to be relevant. I want to to use what I enjoy, and to use a rangefinder - it means using a niche camera now. In relation to the forum, there will always be someone who wants to talk photography, use, repair their cameras whether being a film or digital one. Being relevant doesn't matter.

... "Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light..."

Old 09-10-2018   #89
Skiff

I like this forum. That's why I am here.
Therefore it is relevant for me.
As I am not the only one here being active, it seems to be also relevant for ten thousands of others.....

Old 09-10-2018   #90
maryland_fotos

Why was this even a question?

Old 09-10-2018   #91
dmr
Registered Abuser

It's still very active. New posts, new discussions, great new photos.

Some people obviously think it's still relevant!

Old 09-10-2018   #92
robert blu
quiet photographer

RFF changed much in the last few years, as the world we live in changed and, probably we changed as well !

For me is a real good and interesting Photography Forum, it's a place where I feel almost home. It's like after work to spend half an hour at the pub just to relax, to meet somebody to chat with. And there are many experts here, so a huge base of knowledge is available, and this is a great plus!

I shoot RF and reflex, 35mm and 120, film and digital, even Polaroid... and all of these have a place in RFF, great!

I take opportunity to thank our bartender and the moderators for all the work done for a place like this, bravi e grazie :-)

robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 09-10-2018   #93
agricola

It sure is. It's a peaceful, informed place where you can relax and enjoy what photography is really all about.

Old 09-10-2018   #94
Brian Atherton

For me? A resounding yes.

I've been into photography seriously for 54 years, and virtually every day on the RFF I learn something new.

It's fun, enlightening place to be. A big 'thank you' to everyone for their contributions, time, passion and knowledge.

"Maintenant, mon ami !"
http://www.asingulareye.wordpress.com

So it is
Old 09-10-2018   #95
Symeon

So it is

This is what the Catholic Church has been asking recently - are we relevant? Yet, despite their boring sermons and pomp and circumstance, their idols and their icons, could the world survive an existential crisis without that religion? I don't think so. Cheers!

Old 09-10-2018   #96
aizan

how have your computer habits changed in the last few years?

do you go to forums in general less often? do you spend more time on youtube, facebook groups, instagram, and twitter? what about blogs?

i've been spending less time on forums and blogs, and more time on youtube, instagram, and books. those scratch the itch for entertainment, photography, and information.

Old 09-10-2018   #97
Steve M.

My computer habits have certainly changed over time. I don't go to many forums because many are dominated by just a few regular posters, or are troll city (Reddit for example). Google has changed the way their search engine works in order to maximize their profits, so you have to wade through tons of web pages to find something you were looking for. The idea that they track us and actually look at our emails is something right out of a science fiction story, yet no one complains or does anything about it.

The less I am on the internet, the better, and when my good buddy deal on my internet service ends in a month or two I am finally cutting the cord. It's easy enough to get online at coffeehouses, at my senior center, the library, etc. I really don't need it at home anymore. Haven't had a TV in 30 or 40 years either and don't miss it one bit. Next will be the smart phone. All I really need at home is a land line phone.

The internet is handy at times, but it isn't real life, and it's very addictive. It wastes our energy, time, and money, while constantly manipulating us w/ lies and fear. There IS good stuff on it, but not a lot, and the negatives outweigh the positives, for me anyway.

Boy, I sure won't miss looking at the news sites online!!! Yikes.

Old 09-10-2018   #98
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

" but it isn't real life, and it's very addictive. "

I will go further and say that it even re-wires our brain with prolonged use, and not in a good way either.

It wrecks our attention span and makes reading real physical books (made of paper) a difficult experience, where as in pre-internet days this was not so.

I find it not "calming" like when reading a real book, quite the opposite actually.

Old 09-10-2018   #99
samuelphoto

Check out Rangefinder magazine, directed at professionals (mostly wedding and portrait shooters) but with next to zero RF content. Likewise, RFF has lots of diverse content which makes it attractive, helpful and sometimes just plain fun. :-)

Old 09-11-2018   #100
Big Ursus

This forum has answered questions for me, it has introduced me to photographers whose work I've been happy to see, it has allowed me to share fotos through Postcard projects, and it has initiated me to showing my pictures online - so Yea, RFF! Relevant to the max!!

Old 09-11-2018   #101
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

RFF is a state of mind.

Leica: M-P Typ 240 - M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M - 21 Super-Elmar - 28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 APO-Summicron ASPH - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C
Nikon RF: S2 - S3 2000 - 35/2.5 - 50/2 - 50/1.4 Millennium - 105/2.5 - 135/3.4
X-Pro2, X-M1, X100s, NEX-7, dp0 Quattro, N1V1, N1V2, oodles of other stuff

Old 09-11-2018   #102
Mcary

Yes even though it seems that less people are visiting/participating these days than before yes I think RFF is still relevant.

*I left/did not visit RFF for little over two years May 2016 to June 2018 and since returning the areas where I've noticed the biggest difference are the galleries and Picks of the Week thread. To me it just seems that a lot fewer people are participating in these two areas.

Old 09-11-2018   #103
Archiver

I've been enjoying RFF for ten years or more, beginning with lurking and mining the archives, and then posting and interacting with you fine folk. There's a wealth of knowledge in past posts and present members which will always be relevant, and our shared love of photography, gear and creativity means we will always have something to discuss. So yeah, relevant.

Old 09-11-2018   #104
farlymac
PF McFarland

RFF exists because it is relevant. Simple as that. Too many other forums have packed it in because the members get tired of the same old thing. RFF allows us to include all forms of photography in the discussion because if not, then we would all just be talking in circles about the same subjects, and that would be really boring.

I hope this forum goes on forever, because it is a store of knowledge not found in very many places. And that is because of its diversity, not because it is RF centered. What you know about rangefinders can inform all types of photography, and make us all better at it.

What really makes this forum relevant though is the members themselves. I've been the recipient of a lot of help while I wander through various camera platforms learning their good and bad points. I hope to be able to do the same as time goes on. I don't think there is anywhere else I could have done this in one place like here. There is another forum I belong to that has the same sort of ideals, but its member base isn't as large, and the more experienced ones didn't follow along when a complete change had to be made because Internet technology demanded it. I miss those guys, and the ones here who have passed along. The best thing here though is their posts still live, whereas with the other forum that was all lost because we couldn't get control of the database due to there being no other administrators other than the owner who died suddenly.

So here's to the Head Bartender, and all the others who make this a welcoming place.

Cheers!

PF

Old 09-21-2018   #105
Yokosuka_Mike
The Beat Goes On

In the good old days
Relevance was just a purple haze
We all wondered what was,
A lover's plea
Milkshakes and Kodachrome
Nothing seemed to serious
But what did we know
We all had a place we could,
Call home

What is relavent? What do we feel about anything?
I think we're (or I'm) just looking for a place to be

Mike

Old 09-21-2018   #106
Yokosuka_Mike
The Beat Goes On

Sometimes I need to not post. My thoughts are not always of any value.

Mike

Old 09-21-2018   #107
bulevardi

This forum is still core, spot on photography.

Cant say that from MTV, not broadcasting music anymore. Why do they still exist?

Old 09-21-2018   #108
bulevardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
how have your computer habits changed in the last few years?

do you go to forums in general less often? do you spend more time on youtube, facebook groups, instagram, and twitter? what about blogs?

i've been spending less time on forums and blogs, and more time on youtube, instagram, and books. those scratch the itch for entertainment, photography, and information.
I have a Twitter account, but not really posting with it, it was just to promote something a while ago and to test it out. But I'm not active or reading other posts, it's just a troll platform imho.

Groups on Facebook are not in depth enough for me. It's also a platform to spam around from my experience.
It's too fugitive and momentary ... However you reach a wide range of people and sometimes get in touch with cool people, the social platform is there, but the interface is not my cup of tea.

I still like forums, where you can imho go more in depth and discussions are shown in a better overview.

I had a blog before, and recently I stumbled upon that and saw that my last post was already more than 10 years ago. The blog was set up by different authors/users, but by lack of interest and ideas, it clearly died

I have a flickr account, not using it so often, but I use it to store photos I can embed on forums. There are forums around now where you can embed Instagram photos easily too, nowadays.

So yes, I'm on Instagram, that is, sometimes addictive. I really began late with it, around 2 years ago. But it's easy to get in touch with locals, as you can tag it, or geo-tag photos and quickly connect and chat with others.
I already met cool people from here in Brussels in real life. You can always add me @bulevardi_official.
However, it is a total different medium than Forums where you can discuss things and talk about real stuff instead of small-talk.

Old 10-20-2018   #109
madNbad

I sent a note to the Head Bartender about my experience on two very different forums and he asked if I would repost it:
Here is my short example of RFF relevancy: Recently on both RFF and Nikonians I posted the same question about the Nikkor 45mm 2.8 GN. I was expecting better from the experts at Nikonians but so far the post has only received about thirty views and the only answer is one I posted. In comparison on RFF there have been close to three hundred views and about nine answers helping some owners of this lens to better understand its' quirks. Thanks for hosting and maintaining this site. It truly is a place where photographers of all levels of experience can come with questions and feel welcomed.

Old 10-21-2018   #110
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by madNbad View Post
It truly is a place where photographers of all levels of experience can come with questions and feel welcomed.
Yes, I agree. It is a place where old and new camera equipment is equally relevant. Most other forums are only looking at what is next.

Old 10-21-2018   #111
goamules

Since he asked if this forum is relevant most have answered "yes, because we do MORE than rangefinders!"

To me, I'm here for rangefinder content, only. I shoot them, I collect them. There are venues for people that use old tractors, antique lamps, ancient swords. None of those allow their venue to be diluted by adding everything else loosely categorized with them. (Not lawn mowers, IKEA lamps, modern Rambo knives). A niche is just that. A general photography forum can be found in dozens of places. A rangefinder forum in just one. So yes, as long as we talk about rangefinders, the forum is very relevant.....to me! Others that want everything under the sun should go elsewhere.

Old 10-21-2018   #112
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by goamules View Post
So yes, as long as we talk about rangefinders, the forum is very relevant.....to me! Others that want everything under the sun should go elsewhere.
I think RFF does a good job of allowing other cameras without killing the RF content no? I don`t feel I should leave RFF because I don`t use RF cameras anymore.

Old 10-21-2018   #113
Marco Milazzo

I check it every day. It contains the most meaningful information and conversation about cameras and photography on the Internet. The information and opinions come from real people, not corporations or brands.

Old 10-21-2018   #114
DKimg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I think most of us came from using rangefinders or at least came here first to learn about rangefinders. I think what truly changed this forum was Mirrorless. It was a true alternative to Leica digital cameras. For film, nothing has changed except that it seems to be another lull in film Leica M craziness. It always comes back around though... it`s just cyclical.
I agree!! At least my personal experience picking up a rangefinder and wanting to learn the ins and outs of it... I found this forum and it very much influenced my photography life since then! I'm very glad that I've met some awesome people from this forum and it helped me expand my knowledge of film, cameras, developing and drum scanning!

Besides the help and useful information and resources, I like the vibe of this forum. It's an emotionally balanced place where people are nice and helpful! I always gravitate to this forum first for a quick read beside the other forums out there.... And I believe it will continue to be this way with the many interest and passion people have for photography.
Pentax 67ii / Zeiss 110FE F2
Fuji GX680 / EBC 180 F3,2

eBony-cameras RW45
Rodenstock 150mm Apo-Sironar-S
Zeiss Planar 135mm f3,5 T*

Ansco LF 8x10 / Kodak Ektar 203" f6,3

Old 10-21-2018   #115
Steve M.

Having a fixed mindset that likes a forum to be only what we want all the time is a good way to create needless unhappiness. Go with the flow is my motto on most things. It's a lot more fun to let people express themselves unhindered. In Zen we have a saying that the best way to control your ox (which can be seen as a metaphor for our life) is to give them a large field and allow them to roam wherever they wish.

Old 10-21-2018   #116
Guth
Observational Documenter

I think that this is a fair question and one that could be asked at most forums. My question in return would be how literally is the question intended? As someone who is relatively new around here I would say that this forum would certainly seem to still be relevant by many different measures. For one thing, people are still voluntarily gathering here to converse with one another. For another, most all of discussions appear to be centered around cameras and photography. How much of this is centered specifically on rangefinder camera's is hard to say, but such focus is largely out of the forum's control both in life and here online. I can tell you that I personally landed here specifically because it was titled RANGEFINDERforum. My emphasis of course.

I think the bigger issue for forums in general is the overall dwindling interest in this format as a communication medium. I say this as someone who has been running a forum of my own for the past 5+ years that is dedicated to one specific motorcycle (the Honda CB1100) and motorcycling in general. It's a pretty niche forum to begin with. Over time the focus of conversation has shifted somewhat from largely being focused solely on the one particular motorcycle to a bit more of a general discussion of motorcycling in general. Sometime's people's tastes change and they move on to another motorcycle, yet they still want to participate on a forum with a community that they enjoy (I'm sure the same is true when it comes to cameras). On top of that, motorcycling here in the States is decreasing in popularity quite rapidly. In addition, like many forums, the majority of the members on my forum are older guys like myself (which is the segment of the population this particular motorcycle appeals to) and we too are dwindling in number as we age. So my forum has quite a few strikes against it. But my focus has always been on the quality of the conversation as opposed to the quantity. I would much rather have a small forum with conversation that is more civil and informative in nature involving people who are knowledgeable or at least have a genuine passion for the topic at hand as opposed to a whole lot of people mainly bashing one another over differences of opinion. I specifically limit the conversation on my forum to just motorcycling. No talk of politics, religion, or anything else really off-topic for that matter. The web is full of places for that stuff.

One of the things that has stood out to me during my short while here so far is the same civility that I hope for from those who participate on my forum. I can say that I am very appreciative of this. That might strike some of my close friends as funny since I personally have a less than innocent vocabulary. But I feel that online conversation, with it's lack of facial expression and body language and involvement from people all over the globe results in the use of "colorful" language being a real impediment to constructive conversation. This community strikes me as very knowledgeable, supportive and helpful. It is exactly what I was looking for. Somewhat ironically for someone who owns a forum, I myself have been trying to spend less time online. Just the same, I for one have very much been enjoying the time that I have spent here over the past few months. I know that this comes down not only to the community that has grown out of an appreciation for the topic at hand, but also from those who are responsible for making this place happen. For that, I tip my cap to the head bartender and all of the moderators that help keep things running smoothly around here.

Old 10-21-2018   #117
CMur12

I found my way here because I posed a question about caffenol to another photographer in a forum not related to photography. That person (a member of this forum) gave me a link to a discussion about caffenol on RFF.

I lurked for awhile to see what else I might find of interest on a forum for RF users and found that there was space here for other photographers, as well. So, I decided to join.

I've used compact fixed-lens rangefinder cameras for travel and living abroad, and they were perfect for the task. Back here in the US, however, I have used them very little. I shoot mostly film in older manual-focus 135 SLRs and 120 TLRs, and I am struggling to add digital to the mix.

All of that is to say that I find RFF a relevant forum for all kinds of photographers, who are able to respect each other and get along (albeit with a bit of a strain at times). I would say that the traffic on this forum, alone, would be ample evidence that it is relevant to those who keep coming here.

- Murray

Old 10-22-2018   #118
Spavinaw

Interesting subject relatives--oh--er--relevance. Sorry 'bout that. Couldn't help myself.
Anyway, think I lurked here a couple of years before I jumped in. Now days it's mostly family pictures with a P&S rangefinder type camera. For serious stuff I'd dig out an SLR. But at first I had a Kodak Tourist 800 with a Prazisa rangefinder attached, so I'm familiar with rangefinders from the start. My cameras range from Minolta subminiature to 4X5 Super Speed Graphic so just about anything having to do with cameras (not just rangefinders) can be of interest to me. Rapid system anyone?
It should be obvious by now that I like the broad spectrum this forum covers. Even if a coffee cup,, car, knife, watch, etc. creeps in occasionally, I still enjoy it. Guess you could say I just like "stuff".
All the above being said, there are lots of posts that I never click on--digital for example. No matter how limited or broad one's interest is, surely having to decide which posts to click on and which to pass over should not be too burdensome on anyone.
Yes, I love this forum.

Old 10-23-2018   #119
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

RFf obsolete? No, I don't think so.
It has evolved over the years, has weathered some...interesting...individuals ( there was that one guy who hated us for some reason), had and has some truly excellent photographers willing to share their knowledge and passion, and, for me(and probably for others), has helped me in both my photography and in dealing with some non-phot stuff in real life.
I haven't been haunting the place as much as I once did mostly because I haven't had much to offer not because there's less to learn here.

Rob

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain

Old 10-23-2018   #120
besk

I look at this forum first before any others. It is interesting and relevant to my photography hobby. Have to admit, however, that I feel a little guilty when I pick up my SLR's to shoot.