Old 06-08-2018   #801
europanorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakscene View Post
The Contax 645 also has vacuum backs (but no 70mm back). My RTSIII still works. Amazing viewfinder apart from the blue LED readout which is hard to see in bright light. I tested it but never found the vacuum back made any difference in that 135 camera, but it really helped with 220 film in the 645.

Marty
Contax 645 has not Vaccum-backs but ONE 220-vaccum-back.
Under certain situation one will see why vaccum.
one recognized nonflat-images with b+w film-aperture no fully open.
With 120-films or 220 there are some tricks Tony Sansone told me. Must did them out.
also film-comparision. who were the producers of which film. Must check on other HDD. there are still some open questions Maco didnt yet reply.
In a Zeiss-Report they speak about filmflatness and Contax 645.
Maco still has 366m rolls of Agfa Aviphot Avicolor X400(named differently) 61.mm. theirs is 200 asa-so overexposed. If someone could only cut it down to 12 x 30.5m. Most ideal 220-film- built in UV-filter, greens are perfect. No mask, most ideal for scanning and b+w. google datasheet.
3DSTEREO-Aeropanoramas
Marspanoramas in 3DSTEREO
under reconstruction

Old 06-10-2018   #802
Nokton48

Waiting for a response from Photo Impex. This film is definitely perforated both sides, just want to verify it will pull through my 70mm Hasselblad A70 magazines. This would be close to a lifetime supply of Panatomic-X (for me) at 3500 6x6cm exposures. I already have 600 feet of Plus-X Aero Recon film, this is it's slower cousin. X-Ray used this stuff long ago, it has a different spectral response than 120 Panatomic-X.

"I'd just do a test to see how it reacts. You might find you need to add a blue filter on your lens but you might like the lower blue sensitivity. I think you'll find the film unfiltered to have a spectral sensitivity similar to regular panatomic with a K2 yellow to a 15 orange filter on the camera. You might find you'll need to reduce development a little but shoot a few frames and see. Aerial films weren't rated in ISO. They were rated by aerial exposure index. It's been so long since shooting any I don't remember how they relate. Aerial exposures need to be calculated based on altitude and position from the equator unlike terrestrial photography. Kodak made a calculator for the purpose."

With a 2009 expiry date this would be the last of the last of the last on the Pan-X. What an opportunity!

DSC06087 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Straight from my deep freeze. 500 feet of Plus-X 3404 Aerorecon film. Bargain of the century at 48 cents per 12 6x6 exposures! Jukka had a lot of this stuff, too. And I know Goran has some he got from Jukka.

https://www.fotoimpex.de/shopen/film...d-x-215-m.html

Old 06-10-2018   #803
Nokton48

DSC06088 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Yesterday I was out shooting hand held with one of my Plaubel Makiflexes. I had forgotten what a complete joy this camera is to use! In this one, I'm running 70mm unperforated Efke PL100 in a Beatty Transet Graflock 70mm back. What fun! Lens was Plaubel Makiflex auto-iris 150mm Schneider Xenar, shooting wide open. I think ADOX Borax MQ is the way to go with Efke PL100, although I've also had killer results with Pyro PMK+ Wonder about Microdol-X?

Need to find the neck strap for this beast. This one got tuned up by Frank Rubio in NYC. Just back from his place.

Format of Beatty is 64mmx92mm, which is very unusual. I welcome the extra real estate.

Old 06-10-2018   #804
Nokton48

Also been busy in the darkroom. Loaded a 220 length of the Plus-X Aerorecon 3404 onto my modified 120/220 to 70mm homemade JOBO reel. It is very thin film, with care it is do-able. Hopefully no crescent kink-marks, will see the results. I filling up my JOBO Multitank 6 and it's completely full of film now, ready for a run.

Also loaded a 220 length of Tri-X unperfed into a Kodak 70mm cartridge. Then I loaded Goran's new Graflex RH50 70mm back. That should be a good long clip test. Nothing like good 'ole Tri-X. Wish I had grabbed more of this when B&H was dumping it.

Lots of fiddling with this stuff but that appeals to me There is definitely a learning curve but all this is totally worth it.

Old 07-13-2018   #805
gorbas

From today visit to National air and space museum in Washington DC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-14-2018   #806
Nokton48

Hi Goran,

Nice! Thanks for your contribution!

That looks like a 50mm C Distagon, to me.

Old 07-14-2018   #807
Jake Mongey

Well guys,

Just finished college a few weeks back, been working hard and now got myself a 500CM.

Back to square 1 but going for round 2 hopefully ready before I go travelling europe in august!

Hasselblad 500CM by jakemongeyphotography, on Flickr

Old 07-15-2018   #808
Nokton48

Great News Jake! Congrats! Welcome Back.

Old 07-15-2018   #809
gorbas

From distant memory I think they used 60mm Distagons? Interesting how they adopted focusing wings/tabs from Arri 2C movie camera! They had to, because of thick gloves. There are lots of 70mm film in that museum. Early satelites were full of 70mm film on ultra thin base on the huge drums. But what happened to satelite when it run out of film stock?? They had system to return to earth exposed film. But how many times?

Old 07-29-2018   #810
Kai-san
Filmwaster

There is a Nikor 70mm film processing reel on ebay now. I've asked if they will ship to Norway, but no reply. It's less than two days left, and still no bids. It could be yours.........

Old 07-30-2018   #811
GarageBoy

It's not a 60mm distagon on those moon cameras, it's a 60mm, low distortion BIOGON - also available later on as the mk/70

Old 09-22-2018   #812
Nokton48

DSC01430 by Nokton48, on Flickr

I have just figured out how to put the Bausch & Lomb 5.25" Super Cinephor, a monster theatrical movie projection lens, onto the Plaubel Makiflex Standard. IT FITS AND FOCUSES PERFECTLY. Ten pound lens. F2! Perfect for Makiflex. Presently held to Plaubel board with gorilla tape. LOL But not out to infinity, very close-up only. About 18"x18" area image in proper focus. Amazingly lovely bokeh. Should work well for very tight portraits. The Makiflex excels at fashion and portraiture according to Plaubel. Rear of lens barely fits into Makiflex Standard body. It's HUGE. Will not fit Automatic model Makiflex, due to cables, smaller throat This camera (of course) takes all kinds of 70mm film backs. See above ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Taken in my backyard, on our new lower deck. So enjoyable!

Old 10-30-2018   #813
Nokton48

Hey All,

I have decided to retire from my present job as of Dec 31 2018. It is time for me to go. This will allow me more time for projects (photo and other) and spending more time with my family.

Stay tuned.

Old 10-31-2018   #814
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
Hey All,

I have decided to retire from my present job as of Dec 31 2018. It is time for me to go. This will allow me more time for projects (photo and other) and spending more time with my family.

Stay tuned.
Dan,

All the best. I'm right behind you.

Cal

Old 11-02-2018   #815
Nokton48

New Showcase for Plaubel System by Nokton48, on Flickr

We have new floor to ceiling shelving in the office area of my home, so here is my Plaubel collection, ready for use. Nicely organized behind glass doors to keep it dust free. This keeps me thinking about taking it out and using it! That is up ahead, in a very big way. �� This is not all of it (no way) just the things I want to use all the time. The rest is in my studio in the basement.

Those Makiflexes on the top shelf take 70mm long roll film. 70mm backs are on the fourth shelf down.

Old 12-22-2018   #816
Nokton48

I want to revive this thread. I am retiring from my career after 26 years, on December 31st. There is much I want to accomplish in all areas of my life.

I intend to spend much time on photography, including starting to burn my stash of 70mm film.

Stay tuned and Merry Christmas All!

Panatomic-x 70mm Aerographic by Nokton48, on Flickr

I am still thinking about getting a roll of 70mm Panatomic-X from FotoImpex in Germany. Bottom line is $686.26 plus shipping for 700 feet of FX. Or $100/100 feet. Not a bad deal if you think of it in those terms. And it's PANATOMIC-X!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-22-2018   #817
Kai-san
Filmwaster

Lucky you, I have to slog it out for two more years. Right now my 70mm project is stalled due to lack of developing reels. There has been two on ebay, but none would ship outside the US. And NDT Supply doesn't even bother to answer my emails. I could always use 220 lengths, but that's a bit of a waste with two cameras equipped with 70mm backs. Let's see what the new year brings.

Merry Christmas to you all!

Old 12-26-2018   #818
stawastawa

Kai-san

How many of the NDT reels would you want? do you have a container to develop them in? I am sure one of us in the US could order and forward to you.

I find the NDT reel satisfactory, though I don't shoot full lengths. I just cut some out of my Linhof cine whenever I get eager to develop. Ends up being 8-15 frames most of the time... (I should just shoot 120 lol ). Have you tried the Paterson method?

Old 12-26-2018   #819
Kai-san
Filmwaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stawastawa View Post
Kai-san

How many of the NDT reels would you want? do you have a container to develop them in? I am sure one of us in the US could order and forward to you.

I find the NDT reel satisfactory, though I don't shoot full lengths. I just cut some out of my linhof cine whenever I get eager to develop. Ends up being 8-15 frames most of the time... (I should just shoot 120 lol ). Have you tried the Paterson method?
Hi Stawastawa, I really appreciate your offer. I have a Jobo 3013 tank that I planned to use. That will take two or maybe three NDT rolls, and that's plenty for my use. Dan said he had a couple of reels to spare and I will PM him over the new year. Let's see how that turns out, I will update this thread.

Old 12-28-2018   #820
Kai-san
Filmwaster

Hey guys, today is my lucky day! After searching for almost a year I finally managed to grab a Nikor 70mm tank and reel off the ebay. It cost me 150 USD, but it's worth it. Thanks to all who volunteered to help out, much appreciated.

Old 12-28-2018   #821
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai-san View Post
Hey guys, today is my lucky day! After searching for almost a year I finally managed to grab a Nikor 70mm tank and reel off the ebay. It cost me 150 USD, but it's worth it. Thanks to all who volunteered to help out, much appreciated.
K,

Nice score.

Cal

Old 12-30-2018   #822
Nokton48

[/quote]

Yep that's the Honeywell Nikor Double 70mm tank. Good price for a complete unit, did it come with two Nikor 70mm reels? The metal lid on top comes completely off, like a 35mm tank lid. So be careful with that.

Very nice score!!

Old 12-30-2018   #823
Kai-san
Filmwaster

Thanks Cal and Dan. I have not received it yet, but as far as I know I will only get one reel. If I find another reel I will complete it, but for now I'm really happy with this.

Old 01-11-2019   #824
Kai-san
Filmwaster

My Nikor tank and reel arrived today, looking really good. It is in fact a single reel tank, but that is no problem for me. I imagine that I will rarely need to develop more than one roll at a time. Next step is to get new 120 film holders for my Epson V750 and to modify the original Epson 120 holders to take 70mm. This is good fun!

Old 01-11-2019   #825
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai-san View Post
My Nikor tank and reel arrived today, looking really good. It is in fact a single reel tank, but that is no problem for me. I imagine that I will rarely need to develop more than one roll at a time. Next step is to get new 120 film holders for my Epson V750 and to modify the original Epson 120 holders to take 70mm. This is good fun!
Kai,

Mighty cool.

Cal

Old 01-11-2019   #826
Nokton48

Kai,

Using a single reel 70mm tank makes good sense. The fill time on a one-reeler is long enough as it is! A two reel tank will take at least a couple of minutes to fill!

Expanding the dimensions of the Epson 120 holder to fit the wider 70mm is not difficult.

Good for you to finally get what you need. Well done!

Old 01-15-2019   #827
Nokton48

Today I worked at setting up the darkroom again. Or at least, getting ready to develop a lot of film in what will be my permanent darkroom, when I get around to building it. I mixed a gallon of Freestyle Legacy Microdol-X, 3/4 gallon Legacy Microdol-X Replenisher, two litres of ADOX Borax MQ (D76 Derivitive), a litre of ADOX Borax MQ Replenisher, and a liter of Ilford Microphen, which I will dilute 1:3 and use one shot. Also went to Midwest Photo and picked up Ilford Rapid Fixer, and Ilford Hypo Clear.

Enough to get started again, including 70mm, and J Lane glass dry plates. And a lot of 120 and XX. And I have a new to me scanner, an Epson 4990, which will scan 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10. I will also make a 70mm carrier for it, it will run two 70mm strips at a time. An upgrade from my 4490.

I am also going to build a permanent upgraded studio space much nicer than what I have now, which is roughed in, but that's about it. Really want to enhance the space.

I have two Blad 70mm magazines loaded, one with Kodak Surveillance, the other with the Rollei 70mm film. If I see an interesting shot I will try a few with both mags, I think of this as "Bracketing". Something I gleaned from Hans Neleman.

Also I have the unperfed 70mm Efke PL100 loaded, and Tri-x 70mm unperfed loaded, in the Beatty Coleman Transet and Graflex magazines. Which I will use on the Plaubel Makiflexes. Many new lenses to play with I have cobbled together in the last couple of years. Many workshop projects when it warms up this spring.

Old 01-15-2019   #828
Richard G

Quote:
I want to revive this thread. I am retiring from my career after 26 years, on December 31st. There is much I want to accomplish in all areas of my life.

I intend to spend much time on photography, including starting to burn my stash of 70mm film.

Stay tuned and Merry Christmas All!

Panatomic-x 70mm Aerographic by Nokton48, on Flickr

I am still thinking about getting a roll of 70mm Panatomic-X from FotoImpex in Germany. Bottom line is $686.26 plus shipping for 700 feet of FX. Or $100/100 feet. Not a bad deal if you think of it in those terms. And it's PANATOMIC-X!!!!!!!!!
Hey Dan, congratulations. People wonder what I'll do when I retire - which is probably ten years off or not quite. They must be kidding. We photographers won't have a spare minute in retirement!

Old 01-16-2019   #829
Nokton48

Thanks Richard. I am off to try to find a -small- aquarium circulating water pump, to wash glass dry photo plates in a tray of room temperature water. Need more shelving, too.

Setting up my darkroom again is very exciting!

Old 01-16-2019   #830
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Dan,

I'm happy for you. Like you I stocked up on gear and supplies.

Seems like my 70mm cassette loaders also are rigged to load 70mm 15 foot reels.

It is kinda powerful to have "firepower" and the massive scale to really do photography.

All the best.

Keep this thread going for me. I only have a few more years of work to go, and I'm right behind you.

Cal

Old 01-20-2019   #831
Nokton48

I'm renovating my home basement darkroom. Up until now, I used this space for general storage, film loading, and long ago, color enlarging. I still have a 16" Kreonite CPT16 dry to dry EP2 Color processor hooked up, but I'm getting rid of that. Want to set this up for B&W darkroom work. Washing and water in another room right now.

Been buying shelving, floor mats, and a LOT of cleaning and organizing. Mind the clutter, it's not done yet. Just wanted to show you guys my progress. What do you think so far?

Darkroom renovation 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Darkroom renovation 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Darkroom renovation 3 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Old 01-21-2019   #832
Nokton48

The Kreonite works, it's just outside on the other side of the darkroom front wall, next to the door. I used to feed prints in where the black plastic shelving is now, with all the tanks. I've just covered that up, see the black plastic stapled to the wall? I'm in Ohio, but I'm not ready to sell it yet.

Kreonite CPT16 EP2 Color Processor by Nokton48, on Flickr

And this is the Kreonite Plate Washing Sink I want to restore and install.

Kreonite Plate Washing Sink by Nokton48, on Flickr

Kreonite Water Mixing Valve Unit by Nokton48, on Flickr

And this Kreonite Water Mixing Unit will be removed and put over the sinks after I build and install them. The hot and cold lines will be easy to extend as they are already there as you can see. This water board is worth some dough.

Old 01-22-2019   #833
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Dan,

I'm green with envey. LOL.

All the best.

Talking about clutter my digital printing studio is also my gal's clothing closet, and know that she is a fashion blogger with 596K followers. Readers should know that I call my Epson 7800 "The Jersey Barrier" and I print big (20x30 image size on 24x36 sheet)

My studio is booby trapped with clothes racks and woman's shoes. Then there is a titanium mountain bike, guitars, amps and all my camera gear in a Madhattan one-bedroom apartment. Of course I warehouse paper and ink and bulk up on sales.

Cal

Old 02-03-2019   #834
europanorama

Quote:
I bought this pack of 70mm Sleeves from B&H seven or eight years ago. Must have been new old stock.

vueall neg pages by Nokton48, on Flickr

Vue All 70mm neg sleeves in a thousand foot roll.

Vue All 70mm Sleeves 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Vue All 70mm Sleeves 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr
finally opened the 70mm but also 61.5mm sleeves on one side. it was annoying to let films slipping in-with weight-from top to bottom all the time.
3DSTEREO-Aeropanoramas
Marspanoramas in 3DSTEREO
under reconstruction

Old 02-03-2019   #835
Nokton48

Hi Michael,

Have you seen these sleeves that DO fit 70mm? I bought some! They are available from the dealer in the UK. See below
They are "KENRO 120 Negative sleeves".

Here are the Kenro Negative Pages from the UK, these DO fit 70mm with room to spare. I bought the (glassine) paper ones, they also come in clear acetate, and clear vinyl. The VueAll and Printfile 70mm pages are history, so if you want 70mm neg pages, here they are:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kenro-120-T...OSwzlFbPhDQ:rk

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kenro-120-f...1PRT:rk:1:pf:0

They also sell binders to fit these pages. I will be ordering more of this stuff. Thnx Jake Mongey for this link!

Kenro Neg Sleeves fit 70mm No 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Kenro Neg Sleeves fit 70mm by Nokton48, on Flickr

Old 02-03-2019   #836
markbakovic

this is awesome.

Old 02-03-2019   #837
Nokton48

Welcome Mark. Thanks!
About time for me to get busy with all this 70mm stuff.

Rollei 400 Professional 70mm double perfed by Nokton48, on Flickr

Rollei 400 70mm Professional is the cheapest way to get going with 70mm. I see they have updated the packaging. Last time I inquired at www.macodirect.de they hundreds of rolls in stock.

85 Euros and if you are not not in the European Union you can deduct the VAT tax. And they will deal if you want to buy quantity.

https://www.macodirect.de/film/infra...elt-perforiert

Old 02-03-2019   #838
Nokton48

I see 70mm double perf Panatomic-X is still available at PhotoImpex. This is still very tempting.

https://www.fotoimpex.com/films/koda...d-x-215-m.html

Old 02-03-2019   #839
wjlapier

Quote:
Welcome Mark. Thanks!
About time for me to get busy with all this 70mm stuff.

Rollei 400 Professional 70mm double perfed by Nokton48, on Flickr

Rollei 400 70mm Professional is the cheapest way to get going with 70mm. I see they have updated the packaging. Last time I inquired at www.macodirect.de they hundreds of rolls in stock.

85 Euros and if you are not not in the European Union you can deduct the VAT tax. And they will deal if you want to buy quantity.

https://www.macodirect.de/film/infra...elt-perforiert
Is the Rollei the freshest 70mm film out there? Only fresh 70mm film? I still have 100ft roll. Might buy some more--I'd really like to find some more C41 color or B&W film like I did last year. That Portra was really nice to find in 70mm.

Old 02-03-2019   #840
Freakscene
Deregistered user

Quote:
I see 70mm double perf Panatomic-X is still available at PhotoImpex. This is still very tempting.

https://www.fotoimpex.com/films/koda...d-x-215-m.html
Did anyone buy any of this? Is it double perforated 70mm film?

Marty