Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-05-2018   #41
DKimg
Registered User
 
DKimg's Avatar
 
DKimg is offline
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 155
It may be a bit of a side tangent but if you're looking for a lighter, one lens walkaround combo... I would really suggest going with the smaller rolleiflex 75 f3,5 or the bigger 80 f2,8.... have a rolleinar 1 on you + a yellow filter and you can cover most things with that camera. IMO, I think it's one stop sharper to the eye (but not a deal breaker) than the hassy 60/80 lens. I only make this suggestion because I've worked overseas the past couple of years and for traveling, I was very very happy tagging along the Rollei 2.8F with me (more so than the hasselblad..and I'm a hasselblad fanatic). Most of the necessary accessories I needed were very small and compact; made it very convenient to bring everything for the street, documentary, and portrait style of photography.

But sticking to the OP, it's really a preference (if we are only sticking to hasselblad gear). For local traveling (not going out of state or country), I was completely okay carrying the 110 lens on the hassy 203/2000 for my one lens/body combo... i would think the 100mm range is a good solid focal length.... and like others mentioned... if sharpness is a factor then the 100 is tack-sharp.

But as much of a Hasselblad fan, The Rolleiflex won on so many levels with my traveling, walking experience. Even interacting with people was easier with the Rolleiflex, than with the Hasselblad. I'm rambling again but it just made the whole picture taking experience enjoyable, and I think that's what we are striving for at the end of the day, right?
__________________
DK
www.DKimg.com
Rolleiflex 3.5F Planar
Pentax 67ii / Zeiss 110FE F2
Fuji GX680 / EBC 180 F3,2

eBony-cameras RW45
Rodenstock 150mm Apo-Sironar-S
Zeiss Planar 135mm f3,5 T*

Ansco LF 8x10 / Kodak Ektar 203" f6,3
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2018   #42
Emile de Leon
Registered User
 
Emile de Leon is offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 997
I never got behind the Hassleblad shutter..clunk..
Always went with the Rollieflex..snick..
HB shots look great though..
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2018   #43
michaelwj
----------------
 
michaelwj's Avatar
 
michaelwj is offline
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane AUS
Posts: 2,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKimg View Post
It may be a bit of a side tangent but if you're looking for a lighter, one lens walkaround combo... I would really suggest going with the smaller rolleiflex 75 f3,5 or the bigger 80 f2,8.... have a rolleinar 1 on you + a yellow filter and you can cover most things with that camera. IMO, I think it's one stop sharper to the eye (but not a deal breaker) than the hassy 60/80 lens. I only make this suggestion because I've worked overseas the past couple of years and for traveling, I was very very happy tagging along the Rollei 2.8F with me (more so than the hasselblad..and I'm a hasselblad fanatic). Most of the necessary accessories I needed were very small and compact; made it very convenient to bring everything for the street, documentary, and portrait style of photography.

But sticking to the OP, it's really a preference (if we are only sticking to hasselblad gear). For local traveling (not going out of state or country), I was completely okay carrying the 110 lens on the hassy 203/2000 for my one lens/body combo... i would think the 100mm range is a good solid focal length.... and like others mentioned... if sharpness is a factor then the 100 is tack-sharp.

But as much of a Hasselblad fan, The Rolleiflex won on so many levels with my traveling, walking experience. Even interacting with people was easier with the Rolleiflex, than with the Hasselblad. I'm rambling again but it just made the whole picture taking experience enjoyable, and I think that's what we are striving for at the end of the day, right?
I've used a Rolleiflex and a YashicaMat, and as much as I've tried to like them, I never enjoyed them like the Hasselblad. I wish I did in many ways, for the exact reasons you state + they're faster to focus too.

On the other hand, I hear the "if you're going to use a Hasselblad with an 80mm, then you'll be better off with a Rolleiflex" line all the time, but feel the comparison is like saying why use an SLR with only a 50mm when a fixed lens rangefinder is smaller, lighter, and can be handheld at lower speeds. The only thing that a Rolleiflex and Hasselblad have in common is a waist level finder. One is TTL one is not - totally different beasts. If I wanted a small, light 120 film camera for travel, I'd go for a folder like a Bessa 667 and go really portable.

As for sharpness, I've never been wanting for more with any high end gear I've owned - the quality of the gear far exceeds my ability!
__________________
Cheers,
Michael
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2018   #44
DKimg
Registered User
 
DKimg's Avatar
 
DKimg is offline
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
I've used a Rolleiflex and a YashicaMat, and as much as I've tried to like them, I never enjoyed them like the Hasselblad. I wish I did in many ways, for the exact reasons you state + they're faster to focus too.

On the other hand, I hear the "if you're going to use a Hasselblad with an 80mm, then you'll be better off with a Rolleiflex" line all the time, but feel the comparison is like saying why use an SLR with only a 50mm when a fixed lens rangefinder is smaller, lighter, and can be handheld at lower speeds. The only thing that a Rolleiflex and Hasselblad have in common is a waist level finder. One is TTL one is not - totally different beasts. If I wanted a small, light 120 film camera for travel, I'd go for a folder like a Bessa 667 and go really portable.

As for sharpness, I've never been wanting for more with any high end gear I've owned - the quality of the gear far exceeds my ability!
So maybe I'm a little confused. I presume you like the ergonomics of the Hassy over the Rollei?

Anyways, I'm not trying to sway anyone's camera tool(s) towards getting the shot they feel pleased mostly, but sometimes finding something in a system that's not particularly it's norm is very hard to satisfy (one's self). Initially, seeing the title, I was a bit intrigued because personally, I haven't used the 60 f3,5 as its so close to the 50-60-80 lineup; and would love to see what others would say between the two... However, after reading through your post, it makes me wonder (and I may be thinking to far into it), that your 'priority' is finding that one lens that suits most of your walkaround needs...in a medium format quality...Lighter and possibly smaller (in size) lens. Without banging my head on the table, The 500CM + 80 combo is the answer and you shouldn't look much more into it... yah or nay? Because you're not seeking more sharpness, so I guess distortion free isn't much of a factor either?

I'm just rambling a bit, more so out of curiosity, but "technically" Hasselblad isn't necessarily meant to be a one lens walk-around kind of camera (even though most of us, including myself, has done it one way or another). I would almost think you're doing the camera injustice for not using the tool as a modular system; being able to change backs, lenses, WLFs, etc... It's probably why I use it this system the most during my photo sessions or travels because the flexibility of changing what I want in the moment is a blessing... and arguably (in my mind) the weight and size isn't much importance. Heck, I've walked around with bigger cameras and have no problem, just because there's another factor to the camera that I really really enjoy capturing with...

I'm wondering, what do you use the hasselblad the most during your walk-around time? Based on what I've read, the SWC is out of the question, probably because the WLF feature isn't integrated into the body... though I find using that camera fun and relaxing, yet captures everything one may ask for.. (close up portraiture is probably out of the question though).

Sorry for the long conversation... slow Friday.
__________________
DK
www.DKimg.com
Rolleiflex 3.5F Planar
Pentax 67ii / Zeiss 110FE F2
Fuji GX680 / EBC 180 F3,2

eBony-cameras RW45
Rodenstock 150mm Apo-Sironar-S
Zeiss Planar 135mm f3,5 T*

Ansco LF 8x10 / Kodak Ektar 203" f6,3
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2018   #45
minnichphoto
Registered User
 
minnichphoto is offline
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Orlando
Posts: 53
Hass V & a 60mm is all you ever need.













  Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2018   #46
DKimg
Registered User
 
DKimg's Avatar
 
DKimg is offline
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnichphoto View Post
Hass V & a 60mm is all you ever need.
Nice images!
__________________
DK
www.DKimg.com
Rolleiflex 3.5F Planar
Pentax 67ii / Zeiss 110FE F2
Fuji GX680 / EBC 180 F3,2

eBony-cameras RW45
Rodenstock 150mm Apo-Sironar-S
Zeiss Planar 135mm f3,5 T*

Ansco LF 8x10 / Kodak Ektar 203" f6,3
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2018   #47
Steve M.
Registered User
 
Steve M. is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,382
I owned them both, and my sample of the 60 was sharper. Was never that impressed with the 80. The Rolleiflex and Autocord I owned made much better photos.

My blad body was an early 500 C with the standard focus screen that had a circular focus "bubble" in the center. It wasn't the brightest focus screen, but I found it to be very easy to focus with. Lots of contrast, and the image would pop into focus. Loved that screen.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2018   #48
michaelwj
----------------
 
michaelwj's Avatar
 
michaelwj is offline
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane AUS
Posts: 2,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKimg View Post
So maybe I'm a little confused. I presume you like the ergonomics of the Hassy over the Rollei?

Anyways, I'm not trying to sway anyone's camera tool(s) towards getting the shot they feel pleased mostly, but sometimes finding something in a system that's not particularly it's norm is very hard to satisfy (one's self). Initially, seeing the title, I was a bit intrigued because personally, I haven't used the 60 f3,5 as its so close to the 50-60-80 lineup; and would love to see what others would say between the two... However, after reading through your post, it makes me wonder (and I may be thinking to far into it), that your 'priority' is finding that one lens that suits most of your walkaround needs...in a medium format quality...Lighter and possibly smaller (in size) lens. Without banging my head on the table, The 500CM + 80 combo is the answer and you shouldn't look much more into it... yah or nay? Because you're not seeking more sharpness, so I guess distortion free isn't much of a factor either?

I'm just rambling a bit, more so out of curiosity, but "technically" Hasselblad isn't necessarily meant to be a one lens walk-around kind of camera (even though most of us, including myself, has done it one way or another). I would almost think you're doing the camera injustice for not using the tool as a modular system; being able to change backs, lenses, WLFs, etc... It's probably why I use it this system the most during my photo sessions or travels because the flexibility of changing what I want in the moment is a blessing... and arguably (in my mind) the weight and size isn't much importance. Heck, I've walked around with bigger cameras and have no problem, just because there's another factor to the camera that I really really enjoy capturing with...

I'm wondering, what do you use the hasselblad the most during your walk-around time? Based on what I've read, the SWC is out of the question, probably because the WLF feature isn't integrated into the body... though I find using that camera fun and relaxing, yet captures everything one may ask for.. (close up portraiture is probably out of the question though).

Sorry for the long conversation... slow Friday.
You're not confused, I'm confusing.

As for the Hasselblad vs Rolleiflex, what keeps me coming towards the Hasselblad is the TTL viewing and the interchangeable backs (changing from 100 to 3200 speed film mid roll is such a treat). Saying that, I love the weight of the Rolleiflex and the lack of mirror blackout, but I just can't get along with them for some reason.

"Without banging my head on the table, The 500CM + 80 combo is the answer and you shouldn't look much more into it... yah or nay? Because you're not seeking more sharpness, so I guess distortion free isn't much of a factor either?"

Initially yes, it's the logical choice. And then I find myself constantly banging into the minimum focus distance and it cramps my style and I miss the moment or the shot is too far away for what I envisioned (the same can be said about the minimum focus on the Rolleiflex - I know close up lenses are an option, but I'm not going to keep putting something on and off)

The purpose of the thread was to gather my thoughts and prompt some questions from the readers (your enquiries have helped me immensely thank you). This is and has been helpful in framing the question to myself. I suppose if I were to reword my OP to a question, I would be asking "Can the 60 can substitute for the 80, giving up aperture, and gaining some size/weight and minimum focus?"

The SWC... been a dream camera for a long time, but the cost keeps it waiting. One day...

Finding the best "one lens" option for the Hasselblad doesn't prohibit other lenses in the future, the macro is likely on the horizon with a chimney finder. But even without that, I think the modularity is being used, I have three backs and change them quite often mid roll - it's so liberating.
__________________
Cheers,
Michael
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2018   #49
Richard G
Registered User
 
Richard G's Avatar
 
Richard G is offline
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: 37,47 S
Posts: 5,174
Makro with a chimney finder....DKimg has those in the classifieds I think.

The Rolleiflex ought to be great but I have trouble holding mine still. Somehow the Hasselblad feels right in my hands. I agree the 80 Planar is great weight, size, balance and versatility. I just like the photographic effect of the 60 and that close focus. I have both and a 150. Doubt I’ll get more. Except that 100....
__________________
Richard
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2018   #50
Rob-F
Likes Leicas
 
Rob-F's Avatar
 
Rob-F is online now
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Show Me state
Age: 78
Posts: 6,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
Makro with a chimney finder....DKimg has those in the classifieds I think.

The Rolleiflex ought to be great but I have trouble holding mine still. Somehow the Hasselblad feels right in my hands.
Same here. I find it hard not to jerk the Rollei, causing camera shake. It is much better with the Rollei T, however. The sidewise movement of the release is smoother than the back and forth action of the rest of them.
__________________
May the light be with you.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2018   #51
michaelwj
----------------
 
michaelwj's Avatar
 
michaelwj is offline
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane AUS
Posts: 2,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
Makro with a chimney finder....DKimg has those in the classifieds I think.
Did I say that out loud??!
__________________
Cheers,
Michael
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2018   #52
leicapixie
Registered User
 
leicapixie is offline
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto.Canada
Posts: 1,604
Few mentioned difficulty of actual focusing the Hasselblad!
The Acu-Mate screens way brighter but no clearer.
Rolleis are easier to focus.
The best is Mamiya C-3, 33 and 330.
I am amzed that no love for 100mm Zeiss.
It is one of Hasselblads best lenses.
It gives a good perspective compared to the 80mm.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2018   #53
michaelwj
----------------
 
michaelwj's Avatar
 
michaelwj is offline
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane AUS
Posts: 2,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by leicapixie View Post
Few mentioned difficulty of actual focusing the Hasselblad!
The Acu-Mate screens way brighter but no clearer.
Rolleis are easier to focus.
The best is Mamiya C-3, 33 and 330.
I am amzed that no love for 100mm Zeiss.
It is one of Hasselblads best lenses.
It gives a good perspective compared to the 80mm.
Having used both, I don’t find the Rolleiflex easier to confirm focus, the viewing lens is no faster, the screen is no brighter, the view is the same. It is faster to change focus on a Rolleiflex, but not easier.
On either camera, I frame initially in the finder, focus and refine framing with the magnifier, and shoot.
__________________
Cheers,
Michael
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2018   #54
Rob-F
Likes Leicas
 
Rob-F's Avatar
 
Rob-F is online now
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Show Me state
Age: 78
Posts: 6,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
Having used both, I don’t find the Rolleiflex easier to confirm focus, the viewing lens is no faster, the screen is no brighter, the view is the same. It is faster to change focus on a Rolleiflex, but not easier.
This was my experience. I sold the Rollei.
__________________
May the light be with you.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2018   #55
Rob-F
Likes Leicas
 
Rob-F's Avatar
 
Rob-F is online now
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Show Me state
Age: 78
Posts: 6,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by leicapixie View Post
I am amzed that no love for 100mm Zeiss.
It is one of Hasselblads best lenses.
It gives a good perspective compared to the 80mm.
Not really. I forgot who said this:

"Perspective is governed by where you stand. Focal length determines cropping."

That's not a n exact quote, it's from memory, but I think I have it about right.
__________________
May the light be with you.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2018   #56
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
Not really. I forgot who said this:

"Perspective is governed by where you stand. Focal length determines cropping."

That's not a n exact quote, it's from memory, but I think I have it about right.

That is absolutely correct.
__________________
“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
― Mark Twain
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2018   #57
DKimg
Registered User
 
DKimg's Avatar
 
DKimg is offline
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
Can the 60 can substitute for the 80, giving up aperture, and gaining some size/weight and minimum focus?

The SWC... been a dream camera for a long time, but the cost keeps it waiting. One day...
Cool! This is the process I like figuring out with others. This would probably give you better answers. And I would almost want to say yes. An almost yes answer because I'm missing out what you photograph mostly when you walk around with either your 60/80 lens. I don't think you're losing out much with 3.5 vs 2.8 (similar to rollei situation)... and I always favor a closer focus lens than farther (only because I do enjoy close portraits + some semi-close/macro still objects).

If your ultimate goal is a SWC, then I would practice shooting wider... and perhaps not get too hung up over the whole 80/60 debate.... just find what is cheaper and save the rest for the SWC purchase. Gut feeling though I think the 60mm lens would be the way to go. Something different than the 80.
__________________
DK
www.DKimg.com
Rolleiflex 3.5F Planar
Pentax 67ii / Zeiss 110FE F2
Fuji GX680 / EBC 180 F3,2

eBony-cameras RW45
Rodenstock 150mm Apo-Sironar-S
Zeiss Planar 135mm f3,5 T*

Ansco LF 8x10 / Kodak Ektar 203" f6,3
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2018   #58
DKimg
Registered User
 
DKimg's Avatar
 
DKimg is offline
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
Having used both, I don’t find the Rolleiflex easier to confirm focus, the viewing lens is no faster, the screen is no brighter, the view is the same. It is faster to change focus on a Rolleiflex, but not easier.
On either camera, I frame initially in the finder, focus and refine framing with the magnifier, and shoot.
+1 faster but not easier. I almost want to say that for portraiture work, I like the slower focus, feels like I'm sniping...dialing in the focus (especially with the hasselblad acute split screen. It's a huge difference). For Rolleis, if the screen isn't calibrated to the viewing lens, you'll be guessing focus all your life.The other thing to consider is the viewing + taking lens and the change of perspective + focus. Harder to dial in focus when you're shooting F4 and wider.
__________________
DK
www.DKimg.com
Rolleiflex 3.5F Planar
Pentax 67ii / Zeiss 110FE F2
Fuji GX680 / EBC 180 F3,2

eBony-cameras RW45
Rodenstock 150mm Apo-Sironar-S
Zeiss Planar 135mm f3,5 T*

Ansco LF 8x10 / Kodak Ektar 203" f6,3
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2018   #59
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,302
The screen and mirror also needs to be calibrated on the hassy.

I much prefer SLR viewing although I have heard the siren call of the Rolleiflex. I'm thinking "Irving Penn" and a Hasselblad Magnifying Hood adapted to the Rollei. Hmmm I prefer the Magnifying Hood and it can be crazy cheap but always worth every Penny.

But I am good with Hasselblad (Boy am I ever; don't ask!) 80mm Planar F2.8 same as Rollei...............

Hasselblad -- "The Erector Set of Photography"
__________________
“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
― Mark Twain
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2018   #60
Richard G
Registered User
 
Richard G's Avatar
 
Richard G is offline
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: 37,47 S
Posts: 5,174
Let’s be clear, the 60 is bigger and heavier, despite being nearly a stop slower.
__________________
Richard
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2018   #61
michaelwj
----------------
 
michaelwj's Avatar
 
michaelwj is offline
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane AUS
Posts: 2,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
Let’s be clear, the 60 is bigger and heavier, despite being nearly a stop slower.
27% longer
33% heavier
2/3 of a stop slower
40% closer focus
__________________
Cheers,
Michael
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2018   #62
Richard G
Registered User
 
Richard G's Avatar
 
Richard G is offline
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: 37,47 S
Posts: 5,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
27% longer
33% heavier
2/3 of a stop slower
40% closer focus
Nice to have that detail. Thanks.
__________________
Richard
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2018   #63
michaelwj
----------------
 
michaelwj's Avatar
 
michaelwj is offline
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane AUS
Posts: 2,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
Nice to have that detail. Thanks.
It's all here Richard; http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/HW/HWLds.aspx

Complete lens data on nearly all the Hasselblad lenses.
__________________
Cheers,
Michael
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2018   #64
Richard G
Registered User
 
Richard G's Avatar
 
Richard G is offline
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: 37,47 S
Posts: 5,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
It's all here Richard; http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/HW/HWLds.aspx

Complete lens data on nearly all the Hasselblad lenses.
One of the refreshing things about the Hasselblad is that the lore is available but unobtrusive. At least to us here with our LTM and other obsessions.
__________________
Richard
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2018   #65
leicapixie
Registered User
 
leicapixie is offline
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto.Canada
Posts: 1,604
I guesss I kinda forgot that way back the Technician who serviced my Rollei (69),
changed the dull dark screen with something clear, bright and easy to focus.
Well not as easy as my Mamiya C series..
I used to swap the Hasselblads given by the agency, for my Mamiyas on pro shoots.
A pentaprism may help in focus, not a Porrolex which is horrible.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2018   #66
GarageBoy
Registered User
 
GarageBoy is offline
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by leicapixie View Post
Walkies and family envoirmental, nothing comes close to 35 mm.

That's why on the 3rd day, God created the 645
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2018   #67
rulnacco
Registered User
 
rulnacco is offline
Join Date: May 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 139
For those above who don't like the relatively far close-focus distance of the 80, couldn't you just carry something that would help overcome that problem? I mean, I have an 8mm extension ring that takes up almost zero space in my bag; I'm not sure just how close I can focus with it, haven't measured/researched it, but it reduces the minimum focusing distance considerably.

Another option is to find one of the excellent Nikon 5T close-up lenses (probably better than Hasselblad's Proxars), which has a 62mm diameter, and attach it with a 62-to-Bay 60 adapter. (If you've got a C T* lens, the 52mm 3T should work fine.)

I know it's just a bit awkward and something extra to carry around, but either option is a simple and relatively cheap way to make the 80 significantly more useful, while still retaining the advantages of size/weight/maximum aperture.

Just a thought; both the above options work well for me, I've found.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2018   #68
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,302
Or a Zeiss Hasselblad Proxar on your 80mm; I've paid $25 for used Proxars.
__________________
“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
― Mark Twain
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2018   #69
rulnacco
Registered User
 
rulnacco is offline
Join Date: May 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 139
The Proxars are apparently pretty good, but they're single-element closeup lenses. I've read quite a bit of speculation (albeit none that I've seen backed up with comparison images) that the Nikon closeup lenses should be a little better, as they're two-element achromats. As I happened to have one for my Nikon gear, I just got hold of the adapter and use it on my Hasselblad Bay 60 lenses; it works great!
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2018   #70
Rob-F
Likes Leicas
 
Rob-F's Avatar
 
Rob-F is online now
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Show Me state
Age: 78
Posts: 6,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
A little while ago I began my Hasselblad journey after many years. Initially I had the 50/4 FLE and the 180/4, both in CF, paired with a 500c/m body. An excellent combo, but heavy, and missing a "walk around 'one-lens' lens".
Those of you who know me know that I am horrible at decisions about what lens to take, and that i like just one lens to make my life easier. Photography is just a hobby, so I like it to be relaxing.

In my ultimate "one lens" quest, I ended up trading the 50 and 180 for a 60 and 80, of which only one will stay. I searched the internets for comparisons between the two and couldn't find one, so here goes. My process and rambling out in the open.

First up, the size of the lenses. The 80 is as small as it gets, the 60 is a bit longer (the 50 is bigger still and the 180 is much bigger). How much longer? A little shy of two lens caps worth.


(please excuse the portly lit iPhone shot)

First win the the 80. Smaller is nicer. But apart from that, the controls are (exactly) the same between the two lenses, the 60 just has a bit more out front.
The front element on the 80 is very recessed and protected, the 60 is close to the front and exposed. I'd imaging the 60 will benefit from a hood more often, but I'm not going to get one. Second win to the 80...

to be continued...
For a one-lens walkabout, getting rid of the 180 was certainly a good move! But for me, the my 50 with floating elements is a necessity and a keeper! I've tried using the 60mm (excellent lens) as my normal one, but usually after couple of shots I switch to the 50 or the 40. So for me, if I could have only one lens, it would be the 50.
__________________
May the light be with you.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 00:08.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.