Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Old 06-29-2018   #81
Emile de Leon

Quote:
But, that is not directly related to UFOs. Or is it?
Eventually..the only solution for a population problem of this sort..overpopulation...is to populate other planets..Mars comes to mind here..and we appear to be rapidly preparing for this..
Of course..we could limit growth..here on Earth..and this was enacted and desired in the 70's in a major way..ie..thru birth control etc..
But the powers that be..took over..and all this now is in the process of being tossed out the window for good..even though..the writing is on the wall..and it does not look good for us at all..
So..the better we are able to move the population..to other worlds..the more the chance..humanity..will survive..

Old 06-29-2018   #82
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaspen View Post
Overpopulation is the 7.6 billion pound gorilla in the corner of the room. And growing by the minute.

Its never discussed, acknowledged, or addressed. I once attended a meeting by my city to plan for an expected 20,000 new people moving to our city in the next few years. I asked the question: Why do we have to have 20,000 new people? Blank! Nothing. No response. No one thinks about the problem at its root. Why? Of course, its always more nuanced than my simple question, but the premise remains. Why do we have to accept this process? Or even worse, why are some people encouraging this process?

The fact is, we don't have to have an additional 20,000 people. All this "planning" is in fact reactionary scrambling. I also showed the "planners" how it is !impossible to grow and keep up with infrastructure needs such that quality-of-life does not decline. To put it in simpler words: growth is not sustainable. Eventually, everyone will suffer. And in fact, the suffering extends beyond the geographic extent of the city, and beyond humans.

But, that is not directly related to UFOs. Or is it?
That is related to blind business interests, it lowers wages in the labour supply field and puts money in business owner's pockets. A real win-win in their short sighted way of thinking.

Even if you get 20,000 so called refugees and they sit on their fanny and collect welfare, they still buy things. Walmart or Costco does not care who is buying the disposable diapers and the children's toys or the canola oil and the bags of onions or where the money comes from.

Old 06-29-2018   #83
retinax

Wowza. Before this thread gets closed I'd like to assure some folks who probably know who they are, that you hear few objections is not because everyone agrees but because people are disgusted to even be around this kind of dark innuendos and fear-mongering.

The problem is not talking about UFOs.

Old 06-29-2018   #84
rfaspen

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
Wowza. Before this thread gets closed I'd like to assure some folks who probably know who they are, that you hear few objections is not because everyone agrees but because people are disgusted to even be around this kind of dark innuendos and fear-mongering.

The problem is not talking about UFOs.

Just curious. Are the dark inuendos and fear-mongering the population related posts?

Old 06-29-2018   #85
raid
Dad Photographer

Wouldn't it be safer here to discuss whether Martian use Leica - Made in Mars cameras or not?

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 06-29-2018   #86
FujiLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile de Leon View Post
Eventually..the only solution for a population problem of this sort..overpopulation...is to populate other planets..Mars comes to mind here..and we appear to be rapidly preparing for this..
Of course..we could limit growth..here on Earth..and this was enacted and desired in the 70's in a major way..ie..thru birth control etc..
But the powers that be..took over..and all this now is in the process of being tossed out the window for good..even though..the writing is on the wall..and it does not look good for us at all..
So..the better we are able to move the population..to other worlds..the more the chance..humanity..will survive..
If you look at other species you’ll see nature usually provides a ‘solution’ when populations explode. They’re resource limited and/or affected by some sort of environmental collapse. We probably have another century or two at current rates of population growth and then 20 billion will become 2 billion. I doubt aliens will save us from ourselves.

Old 06-29-2018   #87
xayraa33

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujiLove View Post
If you look at other species you’ll see nature usually provides a ‘solution’ when populations explode. They’re resource limited and/or affected by some sort of environmental collapse. We probably have another century or two at current rates of population growth and then 20 billion will become 2 billion. I doubt aliens will save us from ourselves.
I say we have the room and space for 40 billion plus on this realm. It is the constant need to pillage the environment for this modern western style of consumerism and the need for creating monetary profits to infinity way of living that will be the problem.

I never bought into the so called "alien" agenda.

If these so called aliens exist they may be inter- dimensional beings or time travellers or high life forms adjacent to our realm or even what were called demons or jinns in the past or by some religions, or just plain conjured up by our collective imagination, who really knows?

Old 06-29-2018   #88
RObert Budding

Quote:
The empowerment of women is a better solution.

"He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he's wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he's right."
~ Bob Dylan

Old 06-29-2018   #89
RObert Budding

Quote:
Originally Posted by xayraa33 View Post
That is related to blind business interests, it lowers wages in the labour supply field and puts money in business owner's pockets. A real win-win in their short sighted way of thinking.

Even if you get 20,000 so called refugees and they sit on their fanny and collect welfare, they still buy things. Walmart or Costco does not care who is buying the disposable diapers and the children's toys or the canola oil and the bags of onions or where the money comes from.
Wow. What an offensive post. So-called refugees? That sit around and collect welfare? Congratulations - You're in rare company. You're now on my 'ignore' list.

"He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he's wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he's right."
~ Bob Dylan

Old 06-29-2018   #90
dmr
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Made in Mars cameras or not?
I would think they would obviously use Jupiter lenses.

Old 06-29-2018   #91
raid
Dad Photographer

I have some of these lenses! J-3, J-8, and J-12.

Old 06-29-2018   #92
rfaspen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RObert Budding View Post

In general, this. However, humans are tricky critters. I don't know what the best "solution" may be....but population is undoubtedtly a very serious issue and should not be ignored as it has been.

Old 06-29-2018   #93
rfaspen

Quote:
I have some of these lenses! J-3, J-8, and J-12.

I once had a Mercury II. Kind of a scary camera -- there was a very strong spring inside that thing. From what I've heard, Mercury's are hot items

[get it? Mercury is the closest planet to the Sun....kind of hot...]

Old 06-29-2018   #94
raid
Dad Photographer

Got it!
This thread is taking a different course here!

Old 06-29-2018   #95
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I'm not really one way or the other with UFOs but I am shocked at some of the dogma I'm seeing in this thread!

Old 06-29-2018   #96
lynnb

Quote:
Wouldn't it be safer here to discuss whether Martian use Leica - Made in Mars cameras or not?
Isn't that why they have a red dot?
Flickr

Old 06-29-2018   #97
valdas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmr View Post
I would think they would obviously use Jupiter lenses.

I think they are already there and using Sputnik (translation - Sattelite) cameras...

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Sputnik

Old 06-30-2018   #98
Larry H-L

Scotty, engage the warp drive!

Old 06-30-2018   #99
kuuan
loves old lenses

UFO means unidentified flying object, no more, no less. I am very suprised that this term seem to make some envision humanoid-like creatures from some other star visiting and that even overpopulation becomes a theme. Please try to open your mind, an UFO could be just as well something entirely different than flying vehicles created by higher developped, more or less human like, creatures.

The lights I witnessed had put me into a special frame of mind. I half hid behind curtains when watching. I had the feeling of living entities which would be disturbed if they realized that they were being watched. For me they had been living entities, not machines or vehicles.

Old 06-30-2018   #100
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
Isn't that why they have a red dot?
Now I know why Leica has "the red dot"! It is made by craftsmen from Mars and Jupiter!

Old 06-30-2018   #101
Michael Markey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I'm not really one way or the other with UFOs but I am shocked at some of the dogma I'm seeing in this thread!
Yep ,with you on that.
It`s not a subject to which I give much thought to be frank but to totally dismiss it out of hand seems a little presumptuous in my opinion.

Old 06-30-2018   #102
f16sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Markey View Post
Yep ,with you on that.
It`s not a subject to which I give much thought to be frank but to totally dismiss it out of hand seems a little presumptuous in my opinion.

I'm not surprised.
Academia in the West has a long tradition of creating rigid thinking.
Peer review leads to peer pressure to stay inside the box.
UFO/AUP's are well outside the box (they are unidentified after all).

It's fine and that system has its place in progress but there should be more room for "Wonder".
There are known unknowns after all....

Old 06-30-2018   #103
Emile de Leon

Truthfully..I cant wait until there is some actual real contact..as it will modify the psychology of this planet to such a degree..that just maybe..we will have a chance..and our children and theirs too..for a good planet to live on..thats not going to be a garbage dump..which it is fast becoming..
And garbage..as all of up photogs know very well.. esp the ones that still use film and chemistry..is of utmost importance on how to deal with the ramifications of all of this garbage we are creating...Fukishima anyone..?
And.. in regards to population control..
In the 70's..I thought the Chinese laws prohibiting more than 1 child per couple was draconian to say the least..but these days..I've changed my mind..and I come from a large family and enjoyed having 4 brothers and sisters..
But now..if something does not happen soon..I think it is best to reverse the tax policies regarding having kids..
As in..
If you have no kids..you get the maximum benefits..of all kinds..if you have 1 kid..you get less benefits..if you have 2 kids..even less..and if more than 2...you get taxed to hell..
The goal being..to stop population growth where it is..or even reduce...
..and.. after the population is stabilized..then maybe things can change..
And hopefully women..will be taking more power in their lives..as 50% of the population..has been denied far too long..
Hopefully this will happen peacefully..but I have no doubts..that blood will be spilled..as the powers that be..wont give their power up w/o a fight..

Old 06-30-2018   #104
xayraa33

What I find strange is that most people these days always have a decent camera on them via their cell phone and we have not gotten much better or frequent UFO photos than the heyday of UFOs, the 1950s.

The Bigfoot phenomena is the same, best photo evidence is still from 51 years ago shot on 16mm cine Kodachrome film in Northern California.

Old 06-30-2018   #105
Larry H-L

Few people look skyward anymore, they’re too busy staring down at their phone.

Old 06-30-2018   #106
JeffS7444

Quote:
Truthfully..I cant wait until there is some actual real contact.
You won't once you've read Liu Cixin's "Three-Body" trilogy!

I think human population is already taking care of itself: United Nations report says worldwide fertility rates are down, and they project worldwide population to decrease starting around 70(?) years from now.

https://www.un.org/esa/population/pu...p2300final.pdf

But I'm not implying that things will automatically be hunky-dory: For starters, we humans generate a lot of waste, and in particular, plastic waste.

Old 06-30-2018   #107
FujiLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by RObert Budding View Post
Absolutely right.

Old 06-30-2018   #108
FujiLove

Quote:
If you have no kids..you get the maximum benefits..of all kinds..if you have 1 kid..you get less benefits..if you have 2 kids..even less..and if more than 2...you get taxed to hell..
The goal being..to stop population growth where it is..or even reduce...
..and.. after the population is stabilized..then maybe things can change..
= child poverty

But I generally agree with what you’re saying.

Old 07-01-2018   #109
hexfan

https://rangefinderforum.com/forums/...eply&p=2818875
Quote:
Originally Posted by FujiLove View Post
Well, I am scientifically trained, so yes a bit of a 'science guy'. I like to apply a scientific approach to things like this, and find it laughable how you can dismiss that sort of approach as a 'religious belief'. It's the same attitude that recently brought us the anti vax idiots, and so many others who drag our lives backwards. You clearly fail to see the irony in being so interested in massively advanced lifeforms, and yet you're dismissing the scientific approach which would undoubtedly have driven their development over the millennia. Doh.

By the way, I had another poke around that website you posted and I think I may have tracked down the No.1 motivation behind it. Unsurprisingly it again suggests 'UFO studies' are like religion...

Top right of the website: 'INVEST NOW'
I believe in the scientific method. I was trained as a scientist and we have accomplished an incredible amount of things with science. I think for sure there are UFO sightings and accounts that are not valid nor extra-terrestrial. To say all of these sightings and videos (I won't say photographs because I think we are not quite there with those yet but close) are bogus is akin to a religious belief, because you have a solid absolute faith that these things cannot possibly be attributed to ETs. You have no way of knowing that for certain yet that is your faithful belief.

Scientists (and air force and navy fighter pilots) know what missiles and drones look like on radar or infrared video. These things cannot be explained by them, that's how we know they are extra-terrestrial. All man made crafts including missiles show a plume related to propulsion. The movement we are seeing on video now fits with the anecdotal accounts of visions of crafts and low visibility because of their speed and acceleration beyond anything we've created. You can say these are CGI and TTS is bs because it is motivated by money. I believe they're real and we will see more and more of them, and as our imaging improves we will see some more detail.

JT also says be skeptical of Tom Delong's company, but that has to do with the capitalist motivations behind it and potential use for war. If it's all just so laughable, I expect you would rather do something else with your time. Maybe your still here because of the religion comment or maybe not.

Old 07-02-2018   #110
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
Okay Nick, here's a photo I took in the early 1970s in Albuquerque. Vivitar 110 camera with color negative film.

That is rather intriguing! Makes me want to believe it's a flying saucer!

Old 07-02-2018   #111
grouchos_tash

flickr

www.garyharding.website

Old 07-02-2018   #112
FujiLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexfan View Post
https://rangefinderforum.com/forums/...eply&p=2818875

I believe in the scientific method. I was trained as a scientist and we have accomplished an incredible amount of things with science. I think for sure there are UFO sightings and accounts that are not valid nor extra-terrestrial. To say all of these sightings and videos (I won't say photographs because I think we are not quite there with those yet but close) are bogus is akin to a religious belief, because you have a solid absolute faith that these things cannot possibly be attributed to ETs. You have no way of knowing that for certain yet that is your faithful belief.

Scientists (and air force and navy fighter pilots) know what missiles and drones look like on radar or infrared video. These things cannot be explained by them, that's how we know they are extra-terrestrial. All man made crafts including missiles show a plume related to propulsion. The movement we are seeing on video now fits with the anecdotal accounts of visions of crafts and low visibility because of their speed and acceleration beyond anything we've created. You can say these are CGI and TTS is bs because it is motivated by money. I believe they're real and we will see more and more of them, and as our imaging improves we will see some more detail.

JT also says be skeptical of Tom Delong's company, but that has to do with the capitalist motivations behind it and potential use for war. If it's all just so laughable, I expect you would rather do something else with your time. Maybe your still here because of the religion comment or maybe not.
Comments like these only serve to confirm that ideas about extraterrestrials visiting earth are nothing but fanciful wishful thinking, akin to belief in deities.

"Scientists (and air force and navy fighter pilots) know what missiles and drones look like on radar or infrared video. These things cannot be explained by them, that's how we know they are extra-terrestrial."

What?! You're 'scientifically trained', yet think that objects must be extraterrestrial if from video footage, they cannot be identified by scientists or pilots? Where did you learn about science? Even primary school children in the UK are taught the basics of constructing a hypothesis and testing it with experimentation, data-analysis, modification to the hypothesis etc. I've never met a competent scientist who would jump to such a ridiculous conclusion. If you make a wild claim, then you have to back it up with hard evidence, otherwise you cannot expect anyone to believe you. That of course, doesn't mean you're wrong, it just means you have a lot of work to do to prove you're right. The onus isn't on everyone else to prove you wrong.

But obviously, you can't back anything up with hard evidence.

Old 07-02-2018   #113
Emile de Leon

Basically...it scares the crap out of people to think that anything exists out there..that may be superior to themselves..they wet their pants at the idea..
The information I've come across..says..
Earth can be considered a somewhat redneck planet..a planet so far removed from the central core of the universe..kind of like your weird uncle..that lives way out in the forest in a cabin w/o electricty..you never see him..but know he is there..
Thats us..lol..
The disadvantage to living here on Earth..is that we are ignorant of other sentient life forms on other planets..for lack of contact..
The advantage though is....Earth is able to evolve a pletheora of different life forms ..as many other planets..have but a few..to sustain them..
This enables us to have different life views and contacts w/animals...that simply do not exist on other worlds..near the central core where the energies are more intense..and more sentient species exists..
This information also states..that one of the most advanced and physically able sentient species in the universe..resembles a multi armed squid..and is not humanoid in shape at all...sorry humanity..lol..
But in the end..
We can explain or unexplain anything we want to...but when and if..actual contact happens..then the whole game changes..for good..
I would think we are in the preparatory stages of this right now..and look forward to more in the next 100 years..
The world is not flat anymore..either is the universe..

Old 07-02-2018   #114
daveleo
what?

...... before this thread gets locked down....

Old 07-02-2018   #115
FujiLove

Quote:
Basically...it scares the crap out of people to think that anything exists out there..that may be superior to themselves..they wet their pants at the idea..
The information I've come across..says..
Earth can be considered a somewhat redneck planet..a planet so far removed from the central core of the universe..kind of like your weird uncle..that lives way out in the forest in a cabin w/o electricty..you never see him..but know he is there..
Thats us..lol..
The disadvantage to living here on Earth..is that we are ignorant of other sentient life forms on other planets..for lack of contact..
The advantage though is....Earth is able to evolve a pletheora of different life forms ..as many other planets..have but a few..to sustain them..
This enables us to have different life views and contacts w/animals...that simply do not exist on other worlds..near the central core where the energies are more intense..and more sentient species exists..
This information also states..that one of the most advanced and physically able sentient species in the universe..resembles a multi armed squid..and is not humanoid in shape at all...sorry humanity..lol..
But in the end..
We can explain or unexplain anything we want to...but when and if..actual contact happens..then the whole game changes..for good..
I would think we are in the preparatory stages of this right now..and look forward to more in the next 100 years..
The world is not flat anymore..either is the universe..
An entertaining science fiction story. Tell us more about the Space Squid

Old 07-02-2018   #116
JeffS7444

Quote:
Thats us..lol..
Yup.
Quote:
Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Just change "digital watches" to "smart-home/TV/phone/watch/speaker" to bring it up to date.

Old 07-02-2018   #117
rfaspen

I like the idea of space squids.

And, I have no fear of space squids. The U.S. is getting a Space Force! Did ya know that? We're safe.

Old 07-02-2018   #118
jszokoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaspen View Post
I like the idea of space squids.

And, I have no fear of space squids. The U.S. is getting a Space Force! Did ya know that? We're safe.
Yea, but all the stuff they will buy will be pointing the wrong direction, down...

Joe

Old 07-02-2018   #119
Emile de Leon

Squidworth...lol..

Old 07-02-2018   #120
seany65

How can anyone be scared of Aliens when they are all like the ones in this documentary?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok6CoIwcJ-E