Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Film Cameras

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 02-14-2016   #81
kiemchacsu
Registered User
 
kiemchacsu is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Age: 38
Posts: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill W View Post
Let me add my voice to the chorus of praise for your images--not just these, but others of yours I've seen on this site. Thanks for sharing!
thank you sir, appreciated.
__________________
Cheers,
Trung Nguyen

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2016   #82
kiemchacsu
Registered User
 
kiemchacsu is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Age: 38
Posts: 1,031
continue with some photos from last trip:

213-1601_M2-35_13_kodak200 by Trung Nguyen, on Flickr 211-1601_M2-35_03_kodak200 by Trung Nguyen, on Flickr
__________________
Cheers,
Trung Nguyen

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2016   #83
JHP
Registered User
 
JHP is offline
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 424
Beautiful work, and beautiful examples of the amazing soft light here. Can't wait to show some of my Vietnam photographs from my month here. I have tried very hard not to take 'touristy' photos and have often found myself photographing other tourists rather than locals and landscapes. The selfie phenomenon in particular, I've never seen so many selfie sticks in the hands of tourists, it's terrifying.

But I digress, stunningly soft, dreamy images. What Wouter is saying I do in some ways agree with however. I came to Vietnam vowing not to train my camera on street sellers or other people doing it tough, just to come away with a pretty photograph for my own gain. I have always felt this way in regards to the homeless etc, I will never photograph them for my benefit without having first had some sort of real world connection with them, or asking their permission.

I'm not at all saying this is you, or even that I'm seeing this in your work because I'm not. I'm speaking purely about my own experiences here. I have often raised the camera to my eye, and then lowered it, realizing I am 'fish bowling', taking something from someone who has nothing, for my own benefit. An interesting discussion and I mean no disrespect to your beautiful images and as Wouter has also said this is not in regards to your work. Perhaps a discussion for somewhere else.

Please keep posting and I thank you again for all your help with my finding film and processing here!
__________________
MY WEBSITE

MP, M2, 28 ELMARIT V3, 50 LUX V2, 15 VC
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2016   #84
JHP
Registered User
 
JHP is offline
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 424
And if I may ask, are these colour images you have posted processed at the labs you recommended to me?
__________________
MY WEBSITE

MP, M2, 28 ELMARIT V3, 50 LUX V2, 15 VC
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2016   #85
kiemchacsu
Registered User
 
kiemchacsu is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Age: 38
Posts: 1,031
What you just commented made me re-read the older comments from my very first posts in this thread.
What I really LOVE about RFF is that people with different backgrounds of social, culture, perspective are very actively speak out their thoughts. Appreciated all critics and comments.
Like what Mr. Andreas (aka kuan) have said, he saw the changes in the community for the last 5 years through my photos. I do confirm that the living standard of these people are better with the development of the whole country. Things always have two sides: the indigenous culture has faded somehow. Bad or good as I said is up to your perception.

p.s: recent color films were developed in x-lab, BUT I did my own scanning job using Nikon Coolscan 5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHP View Post
Beautiful work, and beautiful examples of the amazing soft light here. Can't wait to show some of my Vietnam photographs from my month here. I have tried very hard not to take 'touristy' photos and have often found myself photographing other tourists rather than locals and landscapes. The selfie phenomenon in particular, I've never seen so many selfie sticks in the hands of tourists, it's terrifying.

But I digress, stunningly soft, dreamy images. What Wouter is saying I do in some ways agree with however. I came to Vietnam vowing not to train my camera on street sellers or other people doing it tough, just to come away with a pretty photograph for my own gain. I have always felt this way in regards to the homeless etc, I will never photograph them for my benefit without having first had some sort of real world connection with them, or asking their permission.

I'm not at all saying this is you, or even that I'm seeing this in your work because I'm not. I'm speaking purely about my own experiences here. I have often raised the camera to my eye, and then lowered it, realizing I am 'fish bowling', taking something from someone who has nothing, for my own benefit. An interesting discussion and I mean no disrespect to your beautiful images and as Wouter has also said this is not in regards to your work. Perhaps a discussion for somewhere else.

Please keep posting and I thank you again for all your help with my finding film and processing here!
__________________
Cheers,
Trung Nguyen

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2016   #86
JHP
Registered User
 
JHP is offline
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiemchacsu View Post
What you just commented made me re-read the older comments from my very first posts in this thread.
What I really LOVE about RFF is that people with different backgrounds of social, culture, perspective are very actively speak out their thoughts. Appreciated all critics and comments.
Like what Mr. Andreas (aka kuan) have said, he saw the changes in the community for the last 5 years through my photos. I do confirm that the living standard of these people are better with the development of the whole country. Things always have two sides: the indigenous culture has faded somehow. Bad or good as I said is up to your perception.

p.s: recent color films were developed in x-lab, BUT I did my own scanning job using Nikon Coolscan 5000
Thank you sir and yes I'm sorry to dig up old comments - I hadn't seen this thread before! I just dropped a whole lot there today! (X-lab). Thank you for your recommendations!
__________________
MY WEBSITE

MP, M2, 28 ELMARIT V3, 50 LUX V2, 15 VC
  Reply With Quote

The final frontier - Ha Giang
Old 04-12-2018   #87
Tim Zhou
Registered User
 
Tim Zhou is offline
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 54
The final frontier - Ha Giang

With the OP Trung's approval (after some beer), I am posting few photos from my recent trip in Ha Giang.


_R010458-Edit by T Zhou, on Flickr

_R010431-Edit by T Zhou, on Flickr

_R010580-Edit by T Zhou, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2018   #88
Tim Zhou
Registered User
 
Tim Zhou is offline
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 54
Meng, a 16 years' old student, who would like to become a teacher one day.
_R010215-Edit by T Zhou, on Flickr


Children still find selfies intriguing (few Vietnamese visitors from Ha Giang city)
_R010289-Edit by T Zhou, on Flickr



_R010270-Edit-2 by T Zhou, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2018   #89
kiemchacsu
Registered User
 
kiemchacsu is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Age: 38
Posts: 1,031
thanks Tim to revive this thread
hopefully i can contribute some more photos after the trip (6th trip to be exact) to Ha Giang end of this month.
__________________
Cheers,
Trung Nguyen

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2018   #90
Tim Zhou
Registered User
 
Tim Zhou is offline
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiemchacsu View Post
thanks Tim to revive this thread
hopefully i can contribute some more photos after the trip (6th trip to be exact) to Ha Giang end of this month.
You are welcome, Trung, look forward to seeing what you will capture this 7th time. I also look forward to going back there one day!
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2018   #91
kiemchacsu
Registered User
 
kiemchacsu is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Age: 38
Posts: 1,031
I returned to Ha Giang end of April,
This time I took my family to visit all famous destinations in Hagiang, hence limited time to wander around.

1804_fomapan_M2-35f2_07_p1 by Trung Nguyen, on Flickr

This place is famous local house in Sung La province,
7 years ago I took some photos there
__________________
Cheers,
Trung Nguyen

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2018   #92
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps
 
davidnewtonguitars's Avatar
 
davidnewtonguitars is offline
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 1,392
This is the most wonderous of threads, thanks so much kiemchacsu!
__________________
Leica M2 / 7artisans 35-f2 / Leitz Summitar
http://davidnewtonguitars.squarespace.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2018   #93
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 7,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiemchacsu View Post
...
This place is famous local house in Sung La province,
Reminds me pictures from Georgia.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2018   #94
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,701
Thanks for the thread revival, I missed it the first time!
Fantastic pics.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2018   #95
Leica All Day
Registered User
 
Leica All Day's Avatar
 
Leica All Day is offline
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: South Florida
Age: 46
Posts: 2,058
I was just in Ha Giang last month, I wish I had seen this thread before I went. Excellent photos, thanks for sharing

cheers, michael
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2018   #96
kiemchacsu
Registered User
 
kiemchacsu is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Age: 38
Posts: 1,031
Thanks everyone for stopping by
@Michael: if you don't mind, please share some photos of your recent trip here, you're welcome.

The owner of the house, 58 years old

1804_fomapan_M2-35f2_09_p1 by Trung Nguyen, on Flickr
__________________
Cheers,
Trung Nguyen

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2018   #97
Leica All Day
Registered User
 
Leica All Day's Avatar
 
Leica All Day is offline
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: South Florida
Age: 46
Posts: 2,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiemchacsu View Post
Thanks everyone for stopping by
@Michael: if you don't mind, please share some photos of your recent trip here, you're welcome.
Thanks a lot kiemchacsu

Du Gia, Ha Giang
[/url]

Du Gia, Ha Giang


Du Gia, Ha Giang


Dong Van, Ha Giang


Ha Giang


Red Dao, Ha Giang
[url=[/IMG]

To be honest, I didn't shoot as much as I would have liked. I wish I had stopped more and explored deeper.

Thanks again for letting me share some photos.

cheers, michael
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2018   #98
kiemchacsu
Registered User
 
kiemchacsu is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Age: 38
Posts: 1,031
thanks Michael for sharing those color photos
my photos in the most recent trip were taken in black & white only.
below pictures are not taken in Hagiang, but in Cao Bang, a adjacent province. However i think they are still suit to post here

1804_fomapan_M2-35f2_51_p1 by Trung Nguyen, on Flickr

1804_fomapan_M2-35f2_73_p1 by Trung Nguyen, on Flickr

1804_fomapan_M2-35f2_57_p1 by Trung Nguyen, on Flickr
__________________
Cheers,
Trung Nguyen

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2018   #99
Pablito
coco frío
 
Pablito's Avatar
 
Pablito is offline
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Salsipuedes
Posts: 3,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZfan View Post
Wowww, lovely photos of minority peoples.
Really... what a hilarious comment!
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2018   #100
David Hughes
David Hughes
 
David Hughes's Avatar
 
David Hughes is offline
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,475
Thank you both; can we have some more please?

The people in them all look happy, I guess they don't have internet access...

Regards, David
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2018   #101
Tim Zhou
Registered User
 
Tim Zhou is offline
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 54
Trung,

Great to see your photos, I only realised after I got home that I also ended up in Cao Bang in the end. The border was a river called Nho Quế River.



_R010564-Edit by T Zhou, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2018   #102
kiemchacsu
Registered User
 
kiemchacsu is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Age: 38
Posts: 1,031
Tim,

interesting scene, what were they doing by the way?

One more from Hagiang, the "Vuong" palace, built under Vuong Chin Duc regime , the King of H'Mong community in Hagiang

1804_fomapan_M2-35f2_29_p1 by Trung Nguyen, on Flickr
__________________
Cheers,
Trung Nguyen

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2018   #103
Tim Zhou
Registered User
 
Tim Zhou is offline
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 54
Trung,

It is a raft used by local people to cross the river, the family who runs this ferry service lives on the river bank in Cao Bang (see the pic below). We waited on the Ha Giang side, then the couple who were working nearby shouted for us, the boy and his cousin (who was just having some fun on the raft) came to fetch us. 30K vnd for a motorbike to cross if I remember correctly.

_R010556-Edit by T Zhou, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2018   #104
Moto-Uno
Moto-Uno
 
Moto-Uno's Avatar
 
Moto-Uno is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The Wet Coast
Posts: 1,649
^ For those unaccustomed to the vnd , that equals around $2 Canadian
Peter
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2018   #105
kiemchacsu
Registered User
 
kiemchacsu is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Age: 38
Posts: 1,031
Sadly that Ha Giang and other surrounded province has experienced historic flood.
details in link below. People talked about the causes of unprecedented issue, which are: forest demolished, many hydraulic power plants are constructed without deeply concern of environment impacts

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/fms/vie...-flooding.html
__________________
Cheers,
Trung Nguyen

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2018   #106
Tim Zhou
Registered User
 
Tim Zhou is offline
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 54
This is very sad news. The water marks in the city showed the severity of the flooding.

I did notice many small hydraulic plants were being built in the region. More worrying to me was the practice in spring to clear the vegetations on mountain slopes to grow maize. But it would be too easy to criticise as people who live on the top of mountain have hardly anything to live on. Hopefully, the region will have some rethinking to develop its economy in a more sustainable way.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2018   #107
Tim Zhou
Registered User
 
Tim Zhou is offline
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 54
I went back to Ha Giang second time in a year. I guess I enjoyed it the first time. It was still easy to see the devastations caused by the flooding 3 months ago. I will try to add few more photos once I get time. Thanks.

_DSC5509-Edit by T Zhou, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2018   #108
Tim Zhou
Registered User
 
Tim Zhou is offline
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 54
_R030305-Edit by T Zhou, on Flickr


_R030312-Edit by T Zhou, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 18:43.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.