Keeping snap-cap 35mm cassettes together?
Old 06-25-2018   #1
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Keeping snap-cap 35mm cassettes together?

If I want to protect hand-loaded reloadable metal film cassettes from popping apart when dropped, is there a good way to do that? A drop of hot melt glue? Asking for, uh, a friend who is going to hand over 25 rolls of film to an 8-year old.

PS: Plastic cassettes are not an option. The camera needs DX.

Thanks!

Old 06-25-2018   #2
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Raid your local lab for pre-loaded cassettes from films they’ve developed with snipped off ends. Double tape the bulk roll to the stub. You can drop them ‘til the cows come home and they won’t pop. No leaks either providing you dice any obviously damaged or dirty examples. If it is important select spent ones with the same film ISO/DX. In this day and age it baffles me why anyone would prefer re-usable cassettes with all the liabilities they entail. The empties are going in the bin anyway—give them another use.
Cheers
Brett

Old 06-25-2018   #3
Shac

Would a thin (1 cm) strip of gaffer or duct tape wrapped around the rim of each end work??? Perhaps worth a test

Old 06-25-2018   #4
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
Raid your local lab for pre-loaded cassettes from films they’ve developed with snipped off ends. Double tape the bulk roll to the stub. You can drop them ‘til the cows come home and they won’t pop. No leaks either providing you dice any obviously damaged or dirty examples. If it is important select spent ones with the same film ISO/DX. In this day and age it baffles me why anyone would prefer re-usable cassettes with all the liabilities they entail. The empties are going in the bin anyway—give them another use.
Cheers
Brett
I don't have a local lab to raid, so that's kind of tough to do! I've never actually had a canister pop.

D

Old 06-25-2018   #5
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shac View Post
Would a thin (1 cm) strip of gaffer or duct tape wrapped around the rim of each end work??? Perhaps worth a test
Yes. This works.

Old 06-25-2018   #6
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I dropped them couple of times at least and cap went off. Only few frames were affected, but not completely gone.
No need to leave gunk from gather tape, masking tape will do.

Old 06-25-2018   #7
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
I dropped them couple of times at least and cap went off. Only few frames were affected, but not completely gone.
I'm a big fan of electrical tape!

D

Old 06-25-2018   #8
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante_Stella View Post

D
Me as well, but it will also leave tacky gunk.

I was waiting for two weeks at Sony Basingstook to provide UK power cables. After two weeks we cut needed power socket from different cables and connected them to equipment power cables with insulating by electrical tape. I'm still glad to remember how it pissed off one English dude who was not providing us power cables. I was only needed one and just for few minutes.

I'm big fan of duct tape as well. In Red Green show, which was stopped shortly after we came to Canada.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red_Green_Show

Old 06-25-2018   #9
BillBingham2

I'm torn between super-glue (nail polish remove removes that too) vs hot-glue.

At first I didn't like the hot glue, but that might be best. Get plastic film cans if you still can.

B2 (;->

Old 06-25-2018   #10
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Quote:
If I want to protect hand-loaded reloadable metal film cassettes from popping apart when dropped, is there a good way to do that?
How about using thread locking adhesive?
A single drop in one or two places should be sufficient.

Probably the least strong type would be best.
If Loctite brand that would be the purple variety.

Quote:
3M Scotch Super 33+ is the best thing I have found to attach the film end to the spool when bulk loading 35mm.
It is super strong (so film won't rip out), stays flexible at all temperatures, and peels off cleanly - leaving no residue.

Chris

Old 06-25-2018   #11
dourbalistar

Might be a bit cumbersome for 25 rolls, but this might be an option for screw top plastic cassettes:
https://photothinking.com/2018-02-03...ers-life-hack/
https://www.filmshooterscollective.c...ch-method-6-24

flickr

Old 06-25-2018   #12
rfaspen

I'm sad to hear the Red Green Show has been discontinued.

I could really identify with Harold....

BTW, good/real gaffers tape is not supposed to leave residue. At least that's what I'm told. I think my gaffers tape was a cheap knock-off, but it worked great for my purposes...

Old 06-25-2018   #13
zuiko85

Quote:
I don't have a local lab to raid, so that's kind of tough to do! I've never actually had a canister pop.

D
You've never had a cassette pop!?

Buy a lottery ticket now!

Just kidding, but...you are the only bulk loader I've ever heard that from.

Old 06-25-2018   #14
Bill Clark

Don’t drop them.

Old 06-25-2018   #15
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko85 View Post
You've never had a cassette pop!?

Buy a lottery ticket now!

Just kidding, but...you are the only bulk loader I've ever heard that from.
That's because I have concentrated all of my film dropping/fat finger incidents with 120 film!

D

Old 06-26-2018   #16
steveyork

I had a few caps pop off. Most recently this last weekend. Surprisingly, when I developed the film, there wasn't much light leakage. In the past, the caps have popped off on unexposed film and that has led me to start accumulating reloadable cassettes. Haven't used them yet though.

Old 06-26-2018   #17
leicapixie

The free advice of using "old" used original cassettes does NOT work!
IT is impossible to wind the thicker piece(tape + film) into cartridge..
I have tried various makes with nil success.
I ought some used cassettes that can open and CLOSE.
Buy new re-loadable cassettes.
Do not buy "Kodak cassette.
They open without dropping!
There is a no advantage in buying bulk at this time!
Yes! If bulk roll 100' is like $25.
Good luck!

Old 06-26-2018   #18
BLKRCAT
99% Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicapixie View Post
Good luck!
Just because reusing old cassettes with a tail didn’t work for you doesn’t mean it doesn’t work. I’ve done it just fine. If you put too much tape then it’s obviously not going to work.

There is an advantage to spooling your own. I want to spool 12 exposure rolls. If you aren’t shooting Kodak a roll of hp5 at downtown camera is around $80. 20 rolls is $4 a roll. I’m pretty sure the regular price of a 24 exposure roll is still more than that.

Old 06-26-2018   #19
retinax

Quote:
Good luck!

I don't know if the savings were greater in the past, but at the moment you can save around 30-40% by bulk loading Ilford or Foma films, by my ad hoc calculation. Of course not with Kodak films, their pricing is beyond ridiculous.
I haven't reloaded normal cassettes but was thinking about trying it... can someone who succeeded please explain how you overcome the issue leicapixie has had?

Old 06-26-2018   #20
zuiko85

Bulk loading also runs a greater risk of contamination or grit in the felts of cassettes used over and over. Although you can make short loads if you bulk load, with the Watson style loader I have there is a 3 or 4 frame loss per roll due to length of leader and tail.

Back in 1970, when I started bulk loading, we never used loaders. Just step in the darkroom, have all your cassettes lined up, and pull out 5 ft length of film, tape to core, roll it up and pop it in the cart. Quite often I’d spool the whole 100 ft. In one go.

Now days, about the only thing I use bulk film for is slitting down for Minox 9.2mm or 16mm for other subminiature cameras.

Old 06-26-2018   #21
Shac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
FYI - Gaffer tape does not leave gunk - that's one of its advantages

Old 06-26-2018   #22
Graham Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Clark View Post
Don’t drop them.
I assume it's been a while since you spent much time with an 8-year-old.

Had my greatest re-using/re-loading success with Ilford cassettes. The plastic reloadable cassettes from places like Porter's would pop open if looked at sideways.

My Flickr

You can join Visionless Hacks

I've been forty years discovering that the queen of all colors is black. - Henri Matisse

Old 06-26-2018   #23
newsgrunt

get the kid a Leica and a bunch of Ixmoo cassettes

but yeah, good masking tape worked for me. I wrapped it all the way around on both ends.

Old 06-26-2018   #24
Nokton48

I bulk load 70mm film into Kodak 70mm cassettes and I use black masking tape in very thin rolls. You can get these easily on Ebay.

I've got over a hundred Kodak Snap Caps, and yes, they pop open from time to time. I handle them VERY gingerly, and keep them in clear plastic Fuji 35mm cans until just before loading into cameras. DON'T DROP THEM I should probably tape them with this tape. And it peels off cleanly with no debris left behind.

DSC05892 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Old 06-26-2018   #25
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
I don't know if the savings were greater in the past, but at the moment you can save around 30-40% by bulk loading Ilford or Foma films, by my ad hoc calculation. Of course not with Kodak films, their pricing is beyond ridiculous.
I haven't reloaded normal cassettes but was thinking about trying it... can someone who succeeded please explain how you overcome the issue leicapixie has had?

I butt the end of the new film up to the end of the tab of old film and place a 3/4” piece of tape along each side of the seam. The tape I use is Scotch transparent tape. It’s about 1/2”wide and clear like packing tape. It’s very thin and holds very well. I run it along the seam, not across it, so it runs perpendicular to the roll of film. It fits in the cassete with no problem and I’ve never had it fail.

It’s possible that Scotch Magic Tape would work also but I suspect it would be more prone to tearing.

Old 06-26-2018   #26
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post

I've got five or six Watson loaders, and I reload casettes thrown out by the one-hour in our area. Some of them even came from disposable cameras.

No issues EVER reloading in the light with the carts and the Watsons. I use Scotch Magic semi transparent tape. Just make sure you tape it on squarely (I match up the perforations). If you get it going crooked, tear it back apart and start over. And go slowly until you get things worked out.

After it's secured, roll -gently- until the taped area is sucked inside the cartridge. Then close up the Watson and wind-on slowly.

It's a no-brainer Never ruined a roll and I've done hundreds this way

Old 06-26-2018   #27
LeicaFoReVer
Addicted to Rangefinders

it is my second bulk roll experience and i use metal cassettes and never had poping u either. However it is because I haven't been doing it for long and never dropped rhe casettes. However when I used plastic casettes I had popping up so I started using electric tape on the cap.

I also heard from my father that he used to do the same technique in the dark room as mentioned above without a loader. Using arms
Strech as measure and manually rolling.
Canon 50mm f/1.2 LTM
Voightlander Color Skopar PII 35mm f2.5
Contax G2 + 45mm & 28mm
Contax RX + Zeiss 50mm f1.4
Olympus OM-4 + 24mm f2.8 + 35mm f2
Fed 3 + jupiter-12
Sony NEX 7

websites:
http://www.blurb.com/user/store/aykutkaraca
http://flickriver.com/photos/2851236...r-interesting/
http://sites.google.com/site/aykutphoto/Home
http://aykutkaraca.webs.com

Old 06-26-2018   #28
semi-ambivalent
Little to say

Quote:

D

The folks who make Gorilla Glue also make some different tapes. Any hardware store worth the name should carry it. My local Ace does.

btw, real gaffer's tape does not leave residue. The price sensitive usually don't get the real stuff. It's not cheap.

hth

Old 06-26-2018   #29
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Line View Post
I assume it's been a while since you spent much time with an 8-year-old.
You know, once I taught him not to twirl a p/s by the neck strap, he's been pretty careful. But he burns through a massive amount of Fujicolor 200, and it's time to make this a cheaper exercise.

On plastic cartridges, which ones pop open? I've used screw-top ones for 25+ years and have never had a failure.

D

Old 06-26-2018   #30
dourbalistar

Quote:
You know, once I taught him not to twirl a p/s by the neck strap, he's been pretty careful. But he burns through a massive amount of Fujicolor 200, and it's time to make this a cheaper exercise.

On plastic cartridges, which ones pop open? I've used screw-top ones for 25+ years and have never had a failure.

D
Cheaper than this? I guess if you're sending out C-41 to a lab that can get expensive quick...
https://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-Fuji...dp/B07CLGNK5W/

flickr

Old 06-27-2018   #31
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentode View Post
I butt the end of the new film up to the end of the tab of old film and place a 3/4” piece of tape along each side of the seam. The tape I use is Scotch transparent tape. It’s about 1/2”wide and clear like packing tape. It’s very thin and holds very well. I run it along the seam, not across it, so it runs perpendicular to the roll of film. It fits in the cassete with no problem and I’ve never had it fail.

It’s possible that Scotch Magic Tape would work also but I suspect it would be more prone to tearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
I've got five or six Watson loaders, and I reload casettes thrown out by the one-hour in our area. Some of them even came from disposable cameras.

No issues EVER reloading in the light with the carts and the Watsons. I use Scotch Magic semi transparent tape. Just make sure you tape it on squarely (I match up the perforations). If you get it going crooked, tear it back apart and start over. And go slowly until you get things worked out.

After it's secured, roll -gently- until the taped area is sucked inside the cartridge. Then close up the Watson and wind-on slowly.

It's a no-brainer Never ruined a roll and I've done hundreds this way
It's definitely the only way to go. You don't have to worry about dirty felts as the pre-loaded cassettes have only had one roll through them, they never pop apart, and they won't leak. And they're free. I must still have a hundred empties ready to re-load, here, and I haven't raided a lab in years. I'd send you a few, Dante, but the postage from Australia to the US makes it pointless. Perhaps someone a little closer can throw a couple of dozen or so into a parcel for you, and send them through?

Next time you are near a lab, Dante, grab their stash of emptied cassettes. Most will be amenable, after all, they send them straight into the bin anyway.
Cheers,
Brett

Old 06-27-2018   #32
kiemchacsu

Quote:
Good luck!
I works for me, I recycle the cartridges from mini lab.
And yes bulk load worth it.
For instance, a $50 100' Kentmere 100 yields 19 rolls, which would cost you $3.95 x 19 = $75

Edit: Kentmere price just increased $10 / 100' recently; otherwise you would gain more.

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market

Old 07-04-2018   #33
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

I can see that part of the issue with the metal snap caps is pressure exerted on the cap by the felt pad. If you turn the metal cap a few times once mounted, this disappears.

Also, the popping cap thing not leading to massive light leaks is not that surprising; the spool has quite a flange on it, and that is providing a lot of the light-tightness.