Beater Fast 35mm M or LTM Mount Lens?
Old 06-07-2018   #1
samuelphoto

Beater Fast 35mm M or LTM Mount Lens?

So, unlike may who seek out MTF curves and the like, I am looking for a cheap, beater but fast (at least f/1.4) 35mm M or LTM mount lens for abstract and impressionist work, or out in bad weather. I don’t care if the glass is dinged up, but mechanics should be at least POK. Seems there is no Jupiter faster than a f/2. CV makes a 35/1.4 SC lens which is even overkill for what I need. Maybe there’s some oddball LTM lens from 80 years ago that would work? I’m no expert here so seeking guidance. Thanks.

Old 06-07-2018   #2
mpaniagua

How much do you expect to pay? 7Artisans 50mm f1.1 is a "cheap" alternative but still $300.00-$400.00 dlls.

Jupiter are indeed faster than f2. Look for Jupiter 3. It think that's as cheap as it get for a fast lens.

Regards

Marcelo

Old 06-07-2018   #3
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelphoto View Post
So, unlike may who seek out MTF curves and the like, I am looking for a cheap, beater but fast (at least f/1.4) 35mm M or LTM mount lens for abstract and impressionist work, or out in bad weather. I don’t care if the glass is dinged up, but mechanics should be at least POK. Seems there is no Jupiter faster than a f/2. CV makes a 35/1.4 SC lens which is even overkill for what I need. Maybe there’s some oddball LTM lens from 80 years ago that would work? I’m no expert here so seeking guidance. Thanks.
What makes the CV 35mm/1.4 overkill, the price? Seems your limiting factors are "at least f/1.4" and whatever "cheap" means for you. The Head Bartender has a list of LTM lenses, and this site has a comprehensive list of lesser-known LTM lenses.

flickr

Old 06-07-2018   #4
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

To me abstract and impressionist work has nothing with aperture size.

Old 06-07-2018   #5
Swift1

You're looking for the Unicorn 35/1.2

But in all seriousness, the lens you're looking for doesn't exist.
At least 1.4 and 35mm... I think the CV 35/1.4 is probably the least expensive option.

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website

Old 06-07-2018   #6
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Quote:
You and everyone else are looking for this. You might find a Canon 35/1.5, but aside from that, the "cheap fast 35mm lens" ship has sailed. If it was ever in the port...

Dante

Old 06-07-2018   #7
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift1 View Post
You're looking for the Unicorn 35/1.2

But in all seriousness, the lens you're looking for doesn't exist.
At least 1.4 and 35mm... I think the CV 35/1.4 is probably the least expensive option.
Well, CV does make a 35mm f/1.2, but it's not cheap. However, it is large and heavy, and could be used to fend of would be muggers. I guess that would make it a "beater"?

flickr

Old 06-07-2018   #8
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante_Stella View Post
You and everyone else are looking for this. You might find a Canon 35/1.5, but aside from that, the "cheap fast 35mm lens" ship has sailed. If it was ever in the port...

Dante
Yup, the days of the 200 dollar Canon 35mm f 1.5 lens in LTM were over in the late 1980s by my recollections from attending many antique camera shows.

Old 06-07-2018   #9
dourbalistar

OP, if you are willing to compromise on speed, the Canon 35/2 LTM is a vintage option. There's also the new 7Artisans 35/2 in M-mount. I think both can be had for around $300. Given what the resident experts have noted, you may have to settle for "cheap enough and fast enough 35mm".

flickr

Old 06-07-2018   #10
Ccoppola82

Cv 35 1.4

I use mine when I really need the extra stop and really like it. The distortion doesn't really bother me like it does some people. Hey though, maybe the distortion will help with the abstract look.

Instagram
Coppola_Art

Old 06-07-2018   #11
aizan

i think the fujinon 35mm f/2 ltm is the sort of thing you're looking for, except those go for $3000.

another thing to think about is using an slr.

check out the nikkor 35/1.4 non-ai for nikon f-mount. you can get a beater for $150-200.

Old 06-07-2018   #12
raid
Dad Photographer

If “your cheap” is around $500, then a Canon 35/2 may be a good pick.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 06-08-2018   #13
Bob Michaels
nobody special

Quote:
............... I am looking for a cheap, beater but fast (at least f/1.4) 35mm M or LTM mount lens ..............
Consider the CV 40mm f1.4. A very good lens with a low price on the used market reflecting that it is shunned because it is not 35mm. Too many photographers never tried assuming it would not work because they did not have 40mm framelines or they assumed there was a discernible difference in the FOV between 35 and 40mm. A little bit of work with a file on the mount will bring up 35mm framelines which match the actual FOV (at least on a Zeiss Ikon).

I shot an entire project over a year with this lens, almost always wide open. See my South Apopka religion series at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtRn...ature=youtu.be

Actually the 35mm slot in my M mount lens lineup is filled with this 40mm lens.

Old 06-08-2018   #14
samuelphoto

All, thanks for the helpful comments. Unicorn, yes.... Hence my post.

The purpose of the fast aperture is simply for shooting at night and isolating the subject and I don't care much about sharpness and aberrations, in fact aberrations would be desired. This is going to be abstract stuff, think Holga quality. By "cheap" I'm thinking sub-$200.
dourbalistar thanks for the links and aizan for your suggestion to use a SLR. I still have a I nice OM kit that is rarely used, but the shutter is anything but inconspicuous.
mpaniagua, your suggestion to consider the Jupiter 3 is noted, it would be perfect except its in 50mm. If a 35mm version existed I'd be all set.
I know about the CV 35/1.4 and I'm sure it would work, but it doesn't fill my definition of cheap - inexpensive but not cheap. I may end up going that route in the end anyway unless I can find an old LTM lens.

Old 06-08-2018   #15
samuelphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dourbalistar View Post
Well, CV does make a 35mm f/1.2, but it's not cheap. However, it is large and heavy, and could be used to fend of would be muggers. I guess that would make it a "beater"?
Very clever.

Old 06-08-2018   #16
BillBingham2

If your issues are cheap and fast, what about an older SLR lens adapted to M?

I'm sure you can find an old Nikkor or Canon lens. Not sure how many third party lenses were as fast as you want.

B2 (;->

Old 06-08-2018   #17
samuelphoto

This fits my definition of a fast beater. Except not in Leica mount. Maybe I pick up an old FM body to go with it.

Old 06-08-2018   #18
santino
eXpect me

The auction isn't over yet.
A 50mm 1.4 for your OM would be a nice lens and within your budget and there is the Yashica 35 electro ccn with its 35mm 1.8 lens.

Old 06-08-2018   #19
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

F2 was once considered a "fast" lens, and I think it still should be. I have a couple of them, $800 for the pair.
The aim of making impressionistic work is a good one.

Old 06-08-2018   #20
presspass
filmshooter

Another vote for the CV 40mm f1.4. If you are using a Bessa rangefinder, you set the frame lines and you could set them at 35. The difference in the field of view is marginal. It is, as Bob Michaels said, a wonderful lens and rarely appreciated, or priced, accordingly.

Old 06-08-2018   #21
brbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by santino View Post
... and there is the Yashica 35 electro ccn with its 35mm 1.8 lens.
+1

There are also other fixed lens rangefinders with relatively fast (f1.7/f1.8) 35/40mm lenses, like Canonet (full manual mode possible!), etc.

Old 06-08-2018   #22
Daryl J.

Some years back I picked up a scratched, hazy, stiff, wobbly, brassed 2/50 LTM Summar that had the coating coming off the inside of the barrel and was floating around randomly inside the lens.

For non-standard photography, it is amazing. But one mist study its quirks to get usable material.

They run $50-75US.

Likely a similarly mistreated 35-40mm is out there waiting for you.

Old 06-08-2018   #23
retinax

I see the appeal in a fast 35. But given the budget, perhaps reconsider and use a 50 for the bokeh-y stuff, there's little to be had from a 35 anyway, and if it's actually about low light, use faster film or push? For abstract and impressionist pics, maybe you can live with more grain?

Old 06-08-2018   #24
stompyq

Quote:
Originally Posted by dourbalistar View Post
Kind of unfair to say that when the lens is only a little bigger than a Nikon 50mm 1.8 AFS

Old 06-08-2018   #25
a.noctilux

Quote:
This fits my definition of a fast beater. Except not in Leica mount. Maybe I pick up an old FM body to go with it.

Adapter from Fotodiox ... Nikon F to Leica M can be cheap:
https://fotodioxpro.com/collections/...oducts/nikf-lm

scale focus only ...

Old 06-08-2018   #26
danielsterno
making soup from mud

FYI, my Jupiter 1.5 was almost mint for $400., purchased here on RFF, great/fun lens...
than absolutely boring.

pencil/paint/M6/M5/Fuji x100

flickr:https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 06-08-2018   #27
mpaniagua

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.noctilux View Post
Adapter from Fotodiox ... Nikon F to Leica M can be cheap:
https://fotodioxpro.com/collections/...oducts/nikf-lm

scale focus only ...
Interesting. Got a bunch of Nikon lens that I don't use that much. Probably will get one to use with my M5/M6. My zone/hyperfocal focusing skills are so so, maybe give it a try.

Marcelo

Old 09-01-2018   #28
Takkun
Ian M.

I can vouch that Fotodiox adapters are cheap but reasonably solid. Might be a bit unwieldily with an SLR lens on an RF, but better than my uses, which has been mounting RF lenses on a Panasonic AF100.

currently trying to find a use for a Nikon D2.
--
my infrequently updated blog

Old 09-01-2018   #29
presspass
filmshooter

Yet another vote for the 40 cv. It's a good lens and not all that popular. And you can get it in single coating which is better if you are shooting b&w film. I should use mine more.

Old 09-01-2018   #30
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Very amusing to see all that squirming going on to find a rangefinder lens that meets the requirements. No need for all that if the result gets put before the equipment.

Does the lens have to be fast for bokeh? Use a soft filter with a hole. Does it have to be fast for film speed? Use a tripod.
In either case, get a 35mm lens on an old SLR and you'll be done under 100 bucks, tripod or filters heck even both! included.

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 09-01-2018   #31
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xayraa33 View Post
Yup, the days of the 200 dollar Canon 35mm f 1.5 lens in LTM were over in the late 1980s by my recollections from attending many antique camera shows.
A clean Canon 35/1.5 ltm may cost $500+ these days. I am glad that I got such a lens many years ago.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

How is distortion of 40mm 1.4
Old 10-19-2018   #32
ampguy

How is distortion of 40mm 1.4

Is it significantly less than the 35/1.4 CV? How about the old Ultron 35/1.7 LTM?

Anyone measure distortion on the 7artisans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Michaels View Post
Consider the CV 40mm f1.4. A very good lens with a low price on the used market reflecting that it is shunned because it is not 35mm. Too many photographers never tried assuming it would not work because they did not have 40mm framelines or they assumed there was a discernible difference in the FOV between 35 and 40mm. A little bit of work with a file on the mount will bring up 35mm framelines which match the actual FOV (at least on a Zeiss Ikon).

I shot an entire project over a year with this lens, almost always wide open. See my South Apopka religion series at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtRn...ature=youtu.be

Actually the 35mm slot in my M mount lens lineup is filled with this 40mm lens.