traded my xe2 for xpro1!
Old 05-24-2018   #1
back alley
IMAGES

traded my xe2 for xpro1!

picked it up after work at the local postal outlet. looks great..i set it up per my normal menu of settings...and will take it on it's first canadian adventure tomorrow...i remember it feeling bigger but it fits nicely into my hand...had to think hard to remember how it worked...the xe3, while smaller, is more complicated.
if i ever get the 16-55 i can see it on the xpro1...for now it may mate with the 55-200.

anyone want to talk about their xpro1?

Old 05-24-2018   #2
helenhill
Chasing Shadows ... Light

Will You miss Acros ? ...(at least You have on XE3)

How different are the colors with the Xpro1 ?

Old 05-24-2018   #3
kuvvy

I’ve just gone from XE2 to X-T1. Never thought I’d go back to an SLR but I didn’t get comfortable with the XE2. Cant really explain why it just seemed like the handling wasn’t right.
I recently held an XPRO1 and it so much better.

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 05-25-2018   #4
Dogman

Cameras are personal so I can't say you'll like the XP1, however, I love the damn things. I've been using them for a couple of years and I now own 3 of them. This despite the fact that I cannot use the EVF portion of the hybrid viewfinder due to my eyesight (and Fuji's decision to not use an adjustable diopter correction in the finder). But it's okay because the OVF is my main reason to love the XP1.

Hope you get along well with the camera.

Old 05-25-2018   #5
willie_901

My X-Pro 1 brought me great joy.

I used it as I used my Zeiss Ikon M.

The operation of the X-Pro 1 was different. I used the OVF and operated the AF manually (AFL-button focus) which equates to focus and recompose. I did pick up a Cosina diopter. The frame line estimate was less precise than the Zeiss Ikon's. But film RF users understand the frame lines are only estimates. I rarely make close-up photographs. But when I did I used the EVF.

I discover FUJINON prime lenses with the newest AF motor technology focused faster than the first generation lenses. Except for very low ambient light levels, focusing performance was acceptable. Focusing issues were caused by the AF finding higher contrast objects behind the intended object. I found the camera's CPU is too slow for manual focusing using the fly-by-wire system.

The X-Pro 1 is a great buy for people who enjoy using an OVF where it's possible to compose while viewing what's outside the frame lines.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 05-25-2018   #6
Range-rover

I have one and love it, heard the color's are a bit different than the Xpro-2 but
great none the less, enjoy it.

Old 05-25-2018   #7
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
picked it up after work at the local postal outlet. looks great...for now it may mate with the 55-200. anyone want to talk about their xpro1?
That's an odd combination to me. The raison d'etre of the XPro series is the OVF which goes unused with the 55-200. Is it because the 55-200 handles better with the larger body of the XPro1 than the XE2?

Old 05-25-2018   #8
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
That's an odd combination to me. The raison d'etre of the XPro series is the OVF which goes unused with the 55-200. Is it because the 55-200 handles better with the larger body of the XPro1 than the XE2?
I actually prefer the size of the X-Pro model and rarely use the OVF... though it does come in handy at times.

Old 05-25-2018   #9
f16sunshine

Quote:
Briefly I thought so when I owned the Xpro and Xe simultaneously.
The thinking turned out to be flawed. The XE VF was much better with the big zoom.
Better still was the XT1.
In the end the Xpro was not the camera for me but others seem to really click with it.

Old 05-25-2018   #10
AlexBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuvvy View Post
I’ve just gone from XE2 to X-T1. Never thought I’d go back to an SLR but I didn’t get comfortable with the XE2. Cant really explain why it just seemed like the handling wasn’t right.
I recently held an XPRO1 and it so much better.
I've gone the other way, the X-T1 felt right straight away, it has taken me a while to get comfortable with the x-e2. I like both cameras the same but wanted something smaller than the x-t1 so suits me now.

Old 05-25-2018   #11
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
Will You miss Acros ? ...(at least You have on XE3)

How different are the colors with the Xpro1 ?
i will miss acros but the pro1 will not be a main shooter.
colours are a matter of debate...some still prefer the xpro1 colours to newer fuji interpretations.

Old 05-25-2018   #12
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
Cameras are personal so I can't say you'll like the XP1, however, I love the damn things. I've been using them for a couple of years and I now own 3 of them. This despite the fact that I cannot use the EVF portion of the hybrid viewfinder due to my eyesight (and Fuji's decision to not use an adjustable diopter correction in the finder). But it's okay because the OVF is my main reason to love the XP1.

Hope you get along well with the camera.
my first fuji was the xpro1 so i have some familiarity with it. not having a diopter wheel was a nuisance but this body has a #2 diopter which seems to work well.

Old 05-25-2018   #13
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
neither the zoom or the body will be used a majority of the time...more like for mood shooting...yes, the larger body should, in theory' be more comfortable...we will see.

Old 05-25-2018   #14
back alley
IMAGES

i can't seem to remember how to use the ovf...need to read the manual tomorrow.

Old 05-25-2018   #15
shawn

Pull the lever on the front to the side to switch between OVF and EVF. If you have it in Macro mode take it out as that locks you into EVF.

Shawn

Old 05-25-2018   #16
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
Pull the lever on the front to the side to switch between OVF and EVF. If you have it in Macro mode take it out as that locks you into EVF.

Shawn
that's the only part i remembered...
when i look into the finder i see a large box with a focussing square inside it and a focus symbol outside the box...?

Old 05-26-2018   #17
Gid

Hi Joe,

The disp/back button cycles through the basic and custom views for all viewing modes - OVF, EVF and LCD. You can set up your custom view for each in menu item 4 second down (DISP. CUSTOM SETTING). If you want the corrected AF frame, that is in menu item 3 fourth down.

The XP1 is one of my all time favourite cameras. I use the OVF mostly except where framing accuracy is important, or using macro, when I use the EVF. The EVF is just about usable but not great, IMO. This is my fourth XP1 - I sold the third when I bought an XP2. I found the IQ of the XP2 disappointing, much preferring the XP1, so bought another and got rid of the XP2.

I only have one X lens now, the 18-55 zoom which suits my shooting style. I tried the 55-200 and it was fine but having to use the EVF all the time put me off.

Good luck with your new acquisition.

My Top Ten

Gid

Old 05-26-2018   #18
Dogman

Quote:
that's the only part i remembered...
when i look into the finder i see a large box with a focussing square inside it and a focus symbol outside the box...?
There are numerous ways to set up the OVF. If you have framelines with a single box in the center, it can mean a couple of things. I'm not sure what you mean by a focus symbol (but that might be something I have turned off on my cameras). Anyway....

You may have the camera set to manual focus on the front of the camera body--that shows the brightline frames and a single box in the middle but you would need to use the AEL/AFL lock button for focusing when in manual focus mode using the OVF. It's really a type of back button focus since it uses AF. But the framelines are stationary and you never get a green in focus confirmation.

You may also have the camera in AF but the Corrected AF Frame set to Off in the menu (third menu screen). The framelines will move with focus but the center box will always be in the center of the screen but will go green to confirm focus. If set to On, you get the framelines with two overlapping boxes in the center indicating distant and close focus. Both these boxes move with the framelines when focusing and another green box will appear when focus is achieved.

There's other ways to set up the screen but I forget. I have all my XP1 bodies set the same and I never change them. It keeps operation simple and I'm simple-minded.

Old 05-26-2018   #19
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
There are numerous ways to set up the OVF. If you have framelines with a single box in the center, it can mean a couple of things. I'm not sure what you mean by a focus symbol (but that might be something I have turned off on my cameras). Anyway....

You may have the camera set to manual focus on the front of the camera body--that shows the brightline frames and a single box in the middle but you would need to use the AEL/AFL lock button for focusing when in manual focus mode using the OVF. It's really a type of back button focus since it uses AF. But the framelines are stationary and you never get a green in focus confirmation.

You may also have the camera in AF but the Corrected AF Frame set to Off in the menu (third menu screen). The framelines will move with focus but the center box will always be in the center of the screen but will go green to confirm focus. If set to On, you get the framelines with two overlapping boxes in the center indicating distant and close focus. Both these boxes move with the framelines when focusing and another green box will appear when focus is achieved.

There's other ways to set up the screen but I forget. I have all my XP1 bodies set the same and I never change them. It keeps operation simple and I'm simple-minded.
that was helpful...but now it won't focus when in ovf mode...it did before so i'm certain i changed a setting someone.
this is getting to be quite the adventure.

Old 05-26-2018   #20
Dogman

Don't despair. It was confusing to me when I first got one.

The wife and I made a trip right after I got my first XP1, while I was still in a state of confusion. I recall being at the famed San Francisco de Assisi Mission Church in Taos, New Mexico, and somehow getting the camera in a mode that I couldn't decipher. But after using it for a while and determining what settings I prefer it's second nature for me.

Old 05-26-2018   #21
dee

I was SO fortunate in Aug 2017 to find a brand new X-Pro 1 @ £168 to which I added a new 27mm .
I love the handling and the size is almost identical to years of Minolta SRTs .

6 months later ,i was able to add a new £162 XM-1 , missing all the accessories , initially for the 16-50 , but with an inexpensive battery using the same charger , it's a useful carry all camera with flip screen plus 17mm pancake lens .
I was able to try it out as the X-Pro battery is the same , but the sales person was intrigued !
I guess that this is why it had little interest ,

As a long term SLR user - from 1972 - I confess that my new Pentax KS-! with additional 35mm @ close out
£240 is the camera I turn to for rapid focusing .

It's probably an odd way to spend around £700 [ over time ! ] but I tend to stick with the nominal 40-50 mm focal length anyway , so the flexibility of the three latest cameras tends to suit me.

I still love my Leica M8 and Digilux 3 and the much derided Sony A290 plus 35mm for those CCD colours , but they are very much semi-retired now !
Mercifully , 'cos my later cameras came at reasonable cost , there was no need to clear anything to upgrade -
Fuji X-Pro 1 and X-M1 joined by neat X-T1

Contax/Kiev hybrids - Contax II silver /tan , Contax III + Kiev IV meter etc , Contax II , Kiev shutter from parts camera .
Minolta SR1s/SR7v/SRTs various !

Puns,Cameras and snapshots keeping ASD and dees'ruptive Girl/Boy/Me?' dee'structive dee'sorientation contained.

Old 05-28-2018   #22
ornate_wrasse

I've been very happy with my XPro1. At first, my only lens was the 27mm, which I found somewhat limiting. Later, when they had a sale at B&H, I was able to acquire the 16-55 lens at a very good price. The 16-55 is a bit heavy because t's so well built, i.e. not made of plastic, but is oh so useful due to it being a mid-range zoom. I like it very much as it covers focal lengths from wide to moderate telephoto, 35mm equivalent of 24-85mm. It's also fast, at f2.8, and sharp. I think you would like this lens.

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

Leica M9, Leica M6, Leica M3 - 21mm 3.4 Super Angulon, 28mm 2.8 Elmarit, 35mm Summicron, Nikkor SC 50mm 1.4, Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm 1.5, CV 75mm 2.5, Nikkor 8.5cm 2.0

Mamiya 6 - 50mm f4, 75mm f3.5, 150mm f4.5

Fuji X-Pro1 - 16-55mm f/2.8, 27mm f/2.8

Old 05-30-2018   #23
Range-rover

Any pictures yet? like to know how you like it.

Old 05-30-2018   #24
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Range-rover View Post
Any pictures yet? like to know how you like it.
not yet...
i think i buggered the settings...might need to reset and start over again.
having trouble focussing and cannot for the life of me see clearly through the finder. it has a +2 diopter which seemed to work well at first and now i can't get past the fuzz.

Old 05-30-2018   #25
Gid

It may sound daft, but check that the diopter hasn't dropped off. I've lost two in the last year. The cosina diopters fit.

My Top Ten

Gid

Old 05-31-2018   #26
Range-rover

Quote:
not yet...
i think i buggered the settings...might need to reset and start over again.
having trouble focussing and cannot for the life of me see clearly through the finder. it has a +2 diopter which seemed to work well at first and now i can't get past the fuzz.
I had problems as well with that, and after seeing a friends X-pro2 and how
clear it was I had to get a Nikon +.05 diopter correction and that work out
great. you really have to try them out.

Old 05-31-2018   #27
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gid View Post
It may sound daft, but check that the diopter hasn't dropped off. I've lost two in the last year. The cosina diopters fit.
still there...

Old 05-31-2018   #28
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Range-rover View Post
I had problems as well with that, and after seeing a friends X-pro2 and how
clear it was I had to get a Nikon +.05 diopter correction and that work out
great. you really have to try them out.
need to stop by the local pro shop and see if they have any diopters in stock.
i'm also wondering about my glasses...i wear progressives and i noticed that only the bottom third of my lenses are showing things clearly...it might be time for some new eye glasses.

Old 06-01-2018   #29
Dogman

Quote:
need to stop by the local pro shop and see if they have any diopters in stock.
i'm also wondering about my glasses...i wear progressives and i noticed that only the bottom third of my lenses are showing things clearly...it might be time for some new eye glasses.
That's my problem with the XP1 viewfinder as well. I can't even use the EVF without changing to full reading glasses. I'm fairly lucky in that I can see well through the OVF with the lower portion of my progressive eyeglasses. After using the XP1 for so long, I now naturally bring it to my eye at the right spot.

I would have tried diopters but there's no real camera stores left in the area to check.