Old 05-01-2018   #41
David Hughes
David Hughes
 
David Hughes's Avatar
 
David Hughes is offline
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,454
I know the problem, my car is worth less than the insurance costs as a trade in but it suits me and I know the beast and its little ways...

Regards, David

PS And who would buy an ŕ la carte when there's so many M2's about and they don't get much better?
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2018   #42
CameraQuest
Head Bartender
 
CameraQuest is offline
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: over the hills from Malibu
Posts: 5,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilsand View Post
Seriously? No source?
seriously?
how many sources are quoted on most rumor sites?

I am told Leica plans to kill this program in the not too distant future.

I'm sharing the info so those sitting on the fence about ordering a la carte
can get their order in before orders are closed.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2018   #43
kshapero
Press the Shutter
 
kshapero's Avatar
 
kshapero is offline
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida, USA
Age: 69
Posts: 9,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNYC View Post
I bet it was a beauty.

:-)

Jeff
i think i showed it to you many years ago in Florida, but maybe not.
__________________
Akiva S.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2018   #44
michaelwj
----------------
 
michaelwj's Avatar
 
michaelwj is offline
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane AUS
Posts: 2,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
seriously?
how many sources are quoted on most rumor sites?

I am told Leica plans to kill this program in the not too distant future.

I'm sharing the info so those sitting on the fence about ordering a la carte
can get their order in before orders are closed.
And the issue is no one in this thread said they would order one without adding “if I could afford it”. No one is buying, so they stop selling.
__________________
Cheers,
Michael
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2018   #45
pyeh
Registered User
 
pyeh is offline
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Taylor Square
Age: 58
Posts: 596
I ordered one. Stephen Gandy sufficiently spooked me into pulling my finger out. I hope his rumour is correct.
__________________
Peter
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2018   #46
mcfingon
Western Australia
 
mcfingon is offline
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyeh View Post
I ordered one. Stephen Gandy sufficiently spooked me into pulling my finger out. I hope his rumour is correct.
That sounds positive, Peter. Share a picture of it when you get it please.
John Mc
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2018   #47
pyeh
Registered User
 
pyeh is offline
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Taylor Square
Age: 58
Posts: 596
Thanks, John. In fact I take all the reassurance I can get, after lashing out so bigly.
__________________
Peter
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2018   #48
dave lackey
Registered User
 
dave lackey's Avatar
 
dave lackey is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 8,902
Peter,

You inspire me!:$
__________________


Dave
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2018   #49
gnuyork
Registered User
 
gnuyork is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post

PS And who would buy an ŕ la carte when there's so many M2's about and they don't get much better?

My next camera (unless I go for a 500CM instead).
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2018   #50
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 7,284
Maybe this programm as dead as Leicazenitshtain is alive...
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2018   #51
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.
 
jaapv's Avatar
 
jaapv is offline
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hellevoetsluis, Netherlands
Posts: 8,384
It is pretty lively for a corpse...

https://us.leica-camera.com/Photogra...a-M-a-la-carte
__________________
Jaap

jaapvphotography
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2018   #52
David Hughes
David Hughes
 
David Hughes's Avatar
 
David Hughes is offline
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
My next camera (unless I go for a 500CM instead).

I understand...
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2018   #53
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.
 
jaapv's Avatar
 
jaapv is offline
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hellevoetsluis, Netherlands
Posts: 8,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimokita View Post
Do you have a source for that?

I bet he hasn't...
__________________
Jaap

jaapvphotography
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2018   #54
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,591
I'm betting his source is more reliable than your Leica source that told you only 1% of M9s suffered from sensor failure.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
I bet he hasn't...
https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...d.php?t=147891

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
According to my sources the number of corroded sensors is low, in the order of 1%.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2018   #55
benlees
Registered User
 
benlees is offline
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Age: 47
Posts: 1,510
Why would they stop the program? Very easy way to generate extra $.
__________________
flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2018   #56
rfaspen
Registered User
 
rfaspen's Avatar
 
rfaspen is online now
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 1,681
My own official research suggests a high rate of M9 sensor corrosion:

How do I come to that conclusion?

Every M9 owner I know has found corrosion (admittedly, some only found it recently). So, in my sample the corrosion rate is 100%.

Seriously, a few years back, I don't think anyone knew how the sensor issue would unfold. Now that we can look back over time, it seems reasonable to think all M9 family sensors will experience corrosion. In fact, I'm curious to know if there are any M9 (or family) sensors out there that have not yet experienced corrosion; or have they all succumbed by this point in time? I wonder if Leica is tracking these data -- they should be able to get a good handle on that question (statistically and rigorously).
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2018   #57
CameraQuest
Head Bartender
 
CameraQuest is offline
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: over the hills from Malibu
Posts: 5,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaspen View Post
My own official research suggests a high rate of M9 sensor corrosion:

How do I come to that conclusion?

Every M9 owner I know has found corrosion (admittedly, some only found it recently). So, in my sample the corrosion rate is 100%.

Seriously, a few years back, I don't think anyone knew how the sensor issue would unfold. Now that we can look back over time, it seems reasonable to think all M9 family sensors will experience corrosion. In fact, I'm curious to know if there are any M9 (or family) sensors out there that have not yet experienced corrosion; or have they all succumbed by this point in time? I wonder if Leica is tracking these data -- they should be able to get a good handle on that question (statistically and rigorously).
except that Leica went to a new M9 sensor about a year ago.
There may or may not be a corrosion problems on the new type M9 sensor.

I do agree that on the first version M9 sensor,
corrosion seems to be a matter of when, not if.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2018   #58
jonmanjiro
Moderator
 
jonmanjiro's Avatar
 
jonmanjiro is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Yokohama
Posts: 5,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyeh View Post
I ordered one. Stephen Gandy sufficiently spooked me into pulling my finger out. I hope his rumour is correct.
Cooooool

Do tell, Pete! What did you order???
__________________
flickr
Instagram
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2018   #59
CameraQuest
Head Bartender
 
CameraQuest is offline
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: over the hills from Malibu
Posts: 5,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
I bet he hasn't...
that is a bet you would lose.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2018   #60
pyeh
Registered User
 
pyeh is offline
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Taylor Square
Age: 58
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post
Cooooool

Do tell, Pete! What did you order???
Ahh, not telling. Actually, I went for black paint, 0.58 VF, M3 rewind and advance lever, no script at all and special leather. Standard nylon strap (because I'll put on a Gordy or cord strap), standard framelines (ie includes 75mm). The leather choice might be the thing you object to, going by your reaction to my other 0.58 MP.
I'll have an unveiling party when it comes, which at Leica's glacial speed will be next millennium sometime.
__________________
Peter
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2018   #61
Sumarongi
Registered Vaudevillain
 
Sumarongi's Avatar
 
Sumarongi is offline
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 570
According to *my* source, Walter Mandler has been cloned, finally! That's a huge success of German cloning technology. Additionally, they've also cloned Walter's favourite Unicorn, you know, the one that has the special *furz* that is needed to very accurately and very slowly cool down the molten glass...

__________________
**Any feature is a bug unless it can be turned off.** (Daniel Bell Heuer's Law.)
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2018   #62
Jaymz007
Registered User
 
Jaymz007 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 42
I am very Lucky!!
I am going to get my Ala Carte next week. I have been waiting since Dec of last year.
Good thing I ordered mine before they end the Ala Carte Program.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2018   #63
pyeh
Registered User
 
pyeh is offline
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Taylor Square
Age: 58
Posts: 596
Jaymz007, I was wondering how long an a la carte takes. My dealer said "minimum of 8 weeks" but it sounds like it's more like 5 months.
__________________
Peter
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2018   #64
Jaymz007
Registered User
 
Jaymz007 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 42
I ordered it 12/19/17. And only now they are doing the engraving of my signature on top.
My Leica dealer said they should send it from Germany next week so by the time I get it, it might be another 3 weeks.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2018   #65
Jaymz007
Registered User
 
Jaymz007 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 42
Sorry I just look at my emails and I confirmed the final order on 1/19/18, so it is more like 4 months Total if it arrives this month. If not I guess it is more like 5 months.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2018   #66
ian_watts
Ian Watts
 
ian_watts is offline
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymz007 View Post
Sorry I just look at my emails and I confirmed the final order on 1/19/18, so it is more like 4 months Total if it arrives this month.
About the same length of time it took Leica to service my M-A recently. Probably the same technician does both jobs (I was told there is only one person servicing film cameras at Leica now).
__________________
Tumblr // Flickr // Instagram // ianwatts.co.uk
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2018   #67
Tompas
Wannabe Künstler
 
Tompas's Avatar
 
Tompas is offline
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ostfriesland - Northwestern Germany
Posts: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumarongi View Post
(...) *furz* (...)
Your German is excellent, congratulations!
__________________
-- Thomas
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2018   #68
pyeh
Registered User
 
pyeh is offline
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Taylor Square
Age: 58
Posts: 596
Thanks for the time information, jaymzbond. Gives me some idea.
Ian, the lone film M tech must sit next to Huss’s single M9 sensor replacement tech. Perhaps this film person is about to retire and that’s why Stephen foresees the imminent end of a la carte. The M9 chap/woman, on the other hand, will be gainfully employed for years.
__________________
Peter
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2018   #69
Tompas
Wannabe Künstler
 
Tompas's Avatar
 
Tompas is offline
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ostfriesland - Northwestern Germany
Posts: 551
(Completely off-topic...)

I'm glad some of you still have such an high opinion of German cars. Our next car will very likely be a Japanese one. Or maybe a French one; the best (as in no trouble at all for 14 years, until I sold it) car I ever had, was a Citroen. Go figure...
__________________
-- Thomas
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2018   #70
David Hughes
David Hughes
 
David Hughes's Avatar
 
David Hughes is offline
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,454
Hi,

It must have been a 2CV* as that's the only one from all those years ago I remember with a smile...

Regards, David


* AKA the tin snail.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2018   #71
Godfrey
somewhat colored
 
Godfrey's Avatar
 
Godfrey is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 9,065
I still want a Citroën DS21 ... Someday!

What I should have, actually, is something more like a Ford Transit ... That way, I'd have something I could carry my cameras and bicycle in. But I like driving the SLK too much.

G
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2018   #72
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tompas View Post
(Completely off-topic...)

I'm glad some of you still have such an high opinion of German cars. Our next car will very likely be a Japanese one. Or maybe a French one; the best (as in no trouble at all for 14 years, until I sold it) car I ever had, was a Citroen. Go figure...

I just saw 2 different Citroen DS cars on a road trip in California last week.
What a cool car.

Didn't Maserati have a version? The SM I think?
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2018   #73
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyeh View Post
Thanks for the time information, jaymzbond. Gives me some idea.
Ian, the lone film M tech must sit next to Huss’s single M9 sensor replacement tech. Perhaps this film person is about to retire and that’s why Stephen foresees the imminent end of a la carte. The M9 chap/woman, on the other hand, will be gainfully employed for years.

FYI the manager of a certain Leica Store told me they only have one tech, which is why it takes so long. I don't think he was meant to tell me that...
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2018   #74
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_watts View Post
About the same length of time it took Leica to service my M-A recently. Probably the same technician does both jobs (I was told there is only one person servicing film cameras at Leica now).
What did your M-A need? I had my M-A 'a la carte-d' by DAG as I had him remove the useless to me 75mm frame lines. Now the view with a 50mm lens is as it should be - like an M4!
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2018   #75
David Hughes
David Hughes
 
David Hughes's Avatar
 
David Hughes is offline
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
I just saw 2 different Citroen DS cars on a road trip in California last week.
What a cool car.

Didn't Maserati have a version? The SM I think?
Yes, the Maserati version was something really, really special. Many years ago the prototype of the RHD version was offered for sale in the club's magazine but - alas - I didn't have that sort of money.

Regards, David
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2018   #76
kshapero
Press the Shutter
 
kshapero's Avatar
 
kshapero is offline
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida, USA
Age: 69
Posts: 9,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymz007 View Post
I am very Lucky!!
I am going to get my Ala Carte next week. I have been waiting since Dec of last year.
Good thing I ordered mine before they end the Ala Carte Program.
Please tell us what you are getting.
__________________
Akiva S.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2018   #77
kshapero
Press the Shutter
 
kshapero's Avatar
 
kshapero is offline
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida, USA
Age: 69
Posts: 9,804
Saw a Citroen pickup truck at the beach last week. I was soaking wet from swimming and could not get a shot off. It looked like a custom hatchet job, but I can not say for sure.
It was something like this

__________________
Akiva S.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2018   #78
Godfrey
somewhat colored
 
Godfrey's Avatar
 
Godfrey is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 9,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Yes, the Maserati version was something really, really special. Many years ago the prototype of the RHD version was offered for sale in the club's magazine but - alas - I didn't have that sort of money.
The SM was very special, but the even more exotic XM of middle 1990s era was even more so. I had one of those as a hire car on one trip to the UK: it was a fantastic sedan, looked and drove as if it had come from somewhere Other Than Here.

Citroen have not distributed to the USA since about 1973. It’s a terrible shame.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2018   #79
CMur12
Registered User
 
CMur12 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Moses Lake, Washington, USA
Age: 67
Posts: 1,037
This looks like a Rover 2000 or 2000 TC converted into a pickup.
(Edit: I just noticed the bulge on the hood, so this is probably the Rover 3500, with the B-O-P [Buick-Olds-Pontiac] aluminum V8 purchased from GM.)

The Citroen SM was a Citroen with a Maserati engine. Citroen had bought out Maserati not long before that, as I recall.

I agree with Godrey. The Citroen DS 21 was an amazing car and I would dearly love to have one, myself!

- Murray


Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
Saw a Citroen pickup truck at the beach last week. I was soaking wet from swimming and could not get a shot off. It looked like a custom hatchet job, but I can not say for sure.
It was something like this

__________________
Still shooting film: Medium Format with assorted TLRs; 35mm with manual-focus Minolta SLRs and a Canonet.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2018   #80
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,591
I like the direction that this thread has taken!
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 21:34.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.